-DELETED- (out of date information)

D-Trick

Go LV Raiders.
Greetings! First time poster.

Has anyone who has purchased resale recently (after April 2016) bought a minimum add on contract direct from Disney? At the time of this writing, the DVC website states that an add-on contract for SSR is $140/pt, with a 25 point minimum. In the next couple months I hope to have my first DVC contract at SSR.

I understand that incidental benefits and membership extras are not guaranteed and can be taken away at anytime (I've read that disclaimer more times than I can count), but will adding on a small contract direct from Disney at the same resort with the same use year result in a membership card and thus granting the membership extras?

Thanks in advance!

I bought resale in May of 2016 at VGF. I then bought a direct add-on of 25 points at BCV in July or August 2016.

I have full membership benefits.

You do NOT have to add-on at the same resort. I'm pretty sure your UY DOES have to be the same (at least that's my understanding -- someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With that said, if I wanted to swap points out for cruises, only my 25 direct points are eligible. So you can't use your resale points for cruises and RCI even though you are a full member.

Greetings! First time poster.

Has anyone who has purchased resale recently (after April 2016) bought a minimum add on contract direct from Disney? At the time of this writing, the DVC website states that an add-on contract for SSR is $140/pt, with a 25 point minimum. In the next couple months I hope to have my first DVC contract at SSR.

I understand that incidental benefits and membership extras are not guaranteed and can be taken away at anytime (I've read that disclaimer more times than I can count), but will adding on a small contract direct from Disney at the same resort with the same use year result in a membership card and thus granting the membership extras?

Thanks in advance!
What you're suggesting is done frequently since the 2016 restrictions. Almost none of the membership extras justify the extra cost for most people, save one. The discount on Annual Passes actually makes the direct purchase financially advantageous.

Thanks for the responses!

What you're suggesting is done frequently since the 2016 restrictions. Almost none of the membership extras justify the extra cost for most people, save one. The discount on Annual Passes actually makes the direct purchase financially advantageous.

Sweet. Doing the math, it's around a $1375 difference buying direct vs resale for SSR (using a realistic $85/pt price, not including closing costs) if going with a 25 point add on. I'm pretty sure I can easily make that up in the next 37 years, assuming current policies hold... and like you said the annual pass discount is significant enough that it'll chip away at the $1375 faster.

I bought resale in May of 2016 at VGF. I then bought a direct add-on of 25 points at BCV in July or August 2016.

I have full membership benefits.

You do NOT have to add-on at the same resort. I'm pretty sure your UY DOES have to be the same (at least that's my understanding -- someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With that said, if I wanted to swap points out for cruises, only my 25 direct points are eligible. So you can't use your resale points for cruises and RCI even though you are a full member.

In the case of small 25 point add on contracts, why would you want to add at a different property? Meaning... what good is a home property benefit if you only have enough points for one night?

Use year doesn't have to be the same, it's a separate contract. Own 25 points any DVC location, any use year and you get the benefits. Having the same use year is advantageous though. If I wanted to get the 25 point add on (I don't I'm from UK and an annual pass is no good to me) then I'd make sure it was for the same resort (SSR, little point in having 25 points elsewhere, may as well be able to include them in your home resort booking advantage at 11 months) with same use year. Disney may try to say they are only selling Poly/ Copper Creek etc, just insist and they'll put you on a wait list. Comptroller website does show some 25 point SSR's going through.

Use year doesn't have to be the same, it's a separate contract. Own 25 points any DVC location, any use year and you get the benefits. Having the same use year is advantageous though. If I wanted to get the 25 point add on (I don't I'm from UK and an annual pass is no good to me) then I'd make sure it was for the same resort (SSR, little point in having 25 points elsewhere, may as well be able to include them in your home resort booking advantage at 11 months) with same use year. Disney may try to say they are only selling Poly/ Copper Creek etc, just insist and they'll put you on a wait list. Comptroller website does show some 25 point SSR's going through.
But getting them to sell 25 points retail as a stand alone is unlikely. Plus it's a poor choice in most situations.

IMO buying resale with a 25 pt add on is the new standard and anyone who has non qualified points should at least consider it.

They are selling SSR 25 point add ons direct. Agree buying resale than a direct 25 point add on is way to go, if you need perks. Not sure what you are saying, OP was asking about an add on?

They are selling SSR 25 point add ons direct. Agree buying resale than a direct 25 point add on is way to go, if you need perks. Not sure what you are saying, OP was asking about an add on?
There have been a couple of reports of them selling 25 direct as a stand alone, I'm not sure we can say this is routinely available. But even if it is, it's a poor choice about 99.9% of the time.

There have been a couple of reports of them selling 25 direct as a stand alone, I'm not sure we can say this is routinely available. But even if it is, it's a poor choice about 99.9% of the time.
Sorry I may be a bit thick- OP is saying he/ she is buying a resale SSR and is anyone buying 25 point add ons direct (presumably to get perks). They are, and it's the best way to get perks, which I think you agree with?

Sorry I may be a bit thick- OP is saying he/ she is buying a resale SSR and is anyone buying 25 point add ons direct (presumably to get perks). They are, and it's the best way to get perks, which I think you agree with?

Technically, an add-on is to the same membership / same use year. In most cases, Disney has been selling small add-ons only if the use year is the same as a contract the member already owns. A different use year means a separate membership / stand alone contract. Different use years cannot be combined into a single membership. (Although the separate memberships can be accessed with the same log-in ID if set up properly on the members' website).

There have been minimums to purchase a new, stand alone contract. IIRC, that's recently been reported to be 50 points. I haven't really kept up with all that, so it's certainly possible that Disney has relaxed their position again.

Either way, at this point in time, a contract as small as 25 points purchased direct entitles the purchaser to the "Membership Extra" perks and discounts. Know that could change at any time at Disney's discretion.

Thanks for the responses!

Sweet. Doing the math, it's around a $1375 difference buying direct vs resale for SSR (using a realistic $85/pt price, not including closing costs) if going with a 25 point add on. I'm pretty sure I can easily make that up in the next 37 years, assuming current policies hold... and like you said the annual pass discount is significant enough that it'll chip away at the $1375 faster.

In the case of small 25 point add on contracts, why would you want to add at a different property? Meaning... what good is a home property benefit if you only have enough points for one night?

To your first comment, the discount is even better when you include closing costs. Direct is right at $100. Resale would be closer to $500. So that's another $400 difference. AP discount saves you $200 a ticket, so with 4 APs, you've made up the difference.

To your second point, that was a mistake I made. I didn't factor that in. I was so focused on getting the least amount for savings purposes. I'll likely have to buy another 25 or do a larger resale later on.

But you mentioned getting the a different UY as a possibility if I understood correctly. They won't normally do this and it's a bad idea.

One reason someone might do this would be for the 11-month booking window at a different resort. You could still only use the 25 points (or 75 if you bank and borrow) for that 11-month reservation, but if someone, for example, wanted to do food & wine every three years staying at BWV and their larger contract is with a different resort, the small add on to BWV would allow them to do this.

Called up last week about adding on 25 points with a different UY than my other two contracts, and the guide said it wasn't a problem.

Called up last week about adding on 25 points with a different UY than my other two contracts, and the guide said it wasn't a problem.

And there will be other guides that won't do it. I don't know that it really is a kindness to a buyer but it's a sale for them.

There have been a few reports lately but only at certain resorts.

And there will be other guides that won't do it. I don't know that it really is a kindness to a buyer but it's a sale for them.
The interesting part, he would of sold me 25 points at CCV, which I have seen that a 50 point minimum was needed. I guess everything is negotiable.

OP here. Thanks everyone!

I was/am looking for confirmation/clarification that if I add on 25 points direct from Disney with the same use year and resort, that I would be able to get full membership benefits. I guess I'm worried that because the membership number originated as a resale contract that it will be flagged as one and I wouldn't get the benefits and discounts with a direct add-on.

Background: I have a resale SSR contract in ROFR right now, which I fully expect to go through. It's not too big, 100 points. I can afford a 25 point add on contract in cash as soon as everything is done, and was looking to do that ASAP. My wife and I (no kids... yet) love spending time at Disney Springs, so we have no issue having SSR as our home resort. We visit WDW at least once a year, and also live on the west coast so we intend on using at Aulani when we can. Yes, the intent of my post was knowledge to gain access to the discounts and benefits, knowing full well that they can be taken away at anytime. I accepted the fact that I wouldn't be getting discounts with my resale contract, but then I remembered the lounge at Epcot and that got the gears in my head spinning.

The interesting part, he would of sold me 25 points at CCV, which I have seen that a 50 point minimum was needed. I guess everything is negotiable.

I wonder if he had written that up if it wouldn't have been sent back. Of course until we see some written info on CCV I don't know if we know for certain that 50 points will be the minimum.

I accepted the fact that I wouldn't be getting discounts with my resale contract, but then I remembered the lounge at Epcot and that got the gears in my head spinning.

The lounge at Epcot? That is only guaranteed for this year? I went up there once in 3 or so trips to WDW.

The lounge at Epcot? That is only guaranteed for this year? I went up there once in 3 or so trips to WDW.

Hmmm I didn't know it was a temporary thing, but I am new to the game. With that said, I do go with my parents who are now older and thoroughly enjoy Epcot... my thought was that they would like something like the lounge-- a bit of a respite from the heat in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter