ADB Disneyland / Southern Cali Escape

caribbeandream

DIS Veteran
I'm torn between doing this during the Food & Wine Festival or in in October. Any thoughts or suggestions? I had considered doing the longer trip but I'm not really interested in the Hollywood and Jim Henson portions of that trip. I would rather do an Escape and add an additional day at the GCH. (Edited to add - This would be my fourth trip to DL in nine years.)

Last edited:
I'm torn between doing this during the Food & Wine Festival or in in October. Any thoughts or suggestions? I had considered doing the longer trip but I'm not really interested in the Hollywood and Jim Henson portions of that trip. I would rather do an Escape and add an additional day at the GCH. (Edited to add - This would be my fourth trip to DL in nine years.)
Have you done the DLR Food & Wine festival before? It is **much** different than the one at Epcot. We are much smaller here, just a few booths, & no large musical concert shows. It also runs for a shorter period of time.

Also, there’s no word yet on when the SoCal Short escape or the BSM trips will start up again. So, October 2021 trips may or may not happen...a lot depends on the CA guidelines which have been pretty strict compared to some other states. As of today, only groups of up to three HHs and most businesses including Disney are still work from home.

If you are not interested in the Hollywood or Henson portion, do the Disneyland / Southern California Escape in 2022. The parks will be far more open by then. I went to a Disneyland Food and Wine festival last year and enjoyed it. There was a drink that was fantastic, and something to eat that was dissapointing. It was hit or miss.

Have you done the DLR Food & Wine festival before? It is **much** different than the one at Epcot. We are much smaller here, just a few booths, & no large musical concert shows. It also runs for a shorter period of time.

Also, there’s no word yet on when the SoCal Short escape or the BSM trips will start up again. So, October 2021 trips may or may not happen...a lot depends on the CA guidelines which have been pretty strict compared to some other states. As of today, only groups of up to three HHs and most businesses including Disney are still work from home.

I have only done the Flower & Garden Festival and loved it but the EPCOT F&W has never appealed to me. I much prefer the idea of the smaller scale (and the nicer weather) of the F&W at DCA. The ABD website does have some dates up for fall 2021 but I won't be putting down a deposit on any Disney trips until things have stabilized at the parks. Although I have been to DL multiple times, ABD is not cheap and I will not travel until everything opens back up, even if that means pushing my trips to 2022.

If you are not interested in the Hollywood or Henson portion, do the Disneyland / Southern California Escape in 2022. The parks will be far more open by then. I went to a Disneyland Food and Wine festival last year and enjoyed it. There was a drink that was fantastic, and something to eat that was disappointing. It was hit or miss.

I am really, really hoping that by Spring Break 2022 DL will be fully open. Keeping my fingers crossed!

CA resident here: I doubt any food or wine festival will go this year even if DL opens and the DL ABDs resume. Just a caution for you.

Also, pro-tip for visiting CA: NEVER call it Cali. That's a major dead giveaway you're a tourist. San Francisco is also not Frisco or San Fran. Source: 41+ years living in California.

Another California resident here, and unfortunately I don't think the ABD's will run at DL this October. In world where things are back to normal, my vote would be to do the ABD in October as compared to the timing of California Adventure's Food and Wine Festival. I love the Halloween season at Disneyland and California Adventure - the decorations are great and there are so many great seasonal foods to try.

CA resident here: I doubt any food or wine festival will go this year even if DL opens and the DL ABDs resume. Just a caution for you.

Also, pro-tip for visiting CA: NEVER call it Cali. That's a major dead giveaway you're a tourist. San Francisco is also not Frisco or San Fran. Source: 41+ years living in California.

Roger that! (Just to be clear, I was just being a lazy typist. I do actually spell out the entire name when speaking out loud.)

For decades there have been rumblings of California splitting into two states--Southern California could become Cali, while we northern Californian can keep the original. And as a Bay Area native of 59 years, we call it The City.

For decades there have been rumblings of California splitting into two states--Southern California could become Cali, while we northern Californian can keep the original. And as a Bay Area native of 59 years, we call it The City.

If CA splits, it would be into more than 2 states. Socal and NorCal are not unified enough to each be one state. And the Bay Area and Central Valley (where I'm from) would get their own states. There was, in fact, a plan to divide CA into 6 states that failed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Californias
Imo, CA will never spilt. And if it does, it would be a disaster.

If CA splits, it would be into more than 2 states. Socal and NorCal are not unified enough to each be one state. And the Bay Area and Central Valley (where I'm from) would get their own states. There was, in fact, a plan to divide CA into 6 states that failed.

Imo, CA will never spilt. And if it does, it would be a disaster.
Southern California is way too dependent on water from Northern California for them to ever allow that to happen.

Sayhello

I am booked on the October 19 Short Escape. I will post if I hear it get cancelled. If it is cancelled it will be my 5th time rebooking. I promised my daughter if the ABD trip gets cancelled we will go for a long weekend trip for her birthday in November. I will rebook the ABD trip for Spring 2022. I would actually rather see the parks decorated for Christmas than Halloween.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter