Ad Astra - on the ships?

ScooterScott44

DIS Veteran
Ok, just did a search and didn’t find anything on this topic so hopefully this question or info hasn’t been posted.

If Ad Astra is a 20th Century Fox film, which is now owned by Disney, and some publications list it as being released by Walt Disney Studios does that mean it will be shown on the ships like other new releases?

There could be three answers-
- yes, it is owned by Disney
- no, it is still a Fox production, now just Disney owned
- maybe later or much later in the on-demand catalog, it doesn’t get released on premier night due to the transition but gets folded into the Disney film library

Ok, just did a search and didn’t find anything on this topic so hopefully this question or info hasn’t been posted.

If Ad Astra is a 20th Century Fox film, which is now owned by Disney, and some publications list it as being released by Walt Disney Studios does that mean it will be shown on the ships like other new releases?

There could be three answers-
- yes, it is owned by Disney
- no, it is still a Fox production, now just Disney owned
- maybe later or much later in the on-demand catalog, it doesn’t get released on premier night due to the transition but gets folded into the Disney film library

Usually** when we have been onboard during a "PremEar at Sea" they will not tell you until a day or so before and surprise you with it.
Thats what they did with Captain Marvel on our WBPC cruise in Feb.
I told my husband it will be shown and he scoured the Navigator on boarding day and told me he didn't see it listed anywhere.
Natalie said it was being played maybe 48 hours before it happened.

This is a really interesting question. Historically, the ships have shown only Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars films. When I first started cruising they did not own Star Wars yet (and, obviously, there were no new films) and after the acquisition, the new SW movies have been shown on the ship. But those were only sporadic - 4 films. Now that Disney owns a bajillion new films under the 20th Century Fox umbrella, could they really show all of the new releases that they own onboard the ship? How many other Fox films are coming out this month? Would DCL show all of them on the ship? I'm very curious to see how this shakes out.

Usually** when we have been onboard during a "PremEar at Sea" they will not tell you until a day or so before and surprise you with it.
Thats what they did with Captain Marvel on our WBPC cruise in Feb.
I told my husband it will be shown and he scoured the Navigator on boarding day and told me he didn't see it listed anywhere.
Natalie said it was being played maybe 48 hours before it happened.

I believe I've heard this is in case they are unable to access the movie due to routes etc. They generally have to have digital copy of the movie (so they have to insure they have gotten that before release day) and then they have to use an access code (thats how it works for theaters if I understand correctly so I assume it works for the cruise ships as well) to basically have permission to "start" playing the movie. If any of those steps doesn't work due to distance, internet etc we'll no PremEar, so they don't promise it. I was on the ETBA for the Solo PremEar, and they didn't announce that one until the day of! I always wondered if there was a snafu and they were not sure if they would be playing it or not.

I would guess no--I suspect they will limit it to movies Disney itself produced. While Ad Astra is pg-13, there are a lot of 20th Century Fox films that are not family-friendly, and I don't think they'd want to set of precedent of showing new Fox releases for that reason--even if they could (which I'm not sure about).

Historically, the ships have shown only Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars films.

They also show(ed) films under the Buena Vista and Touchstone Pictures (now dormant) names, both of which are owned by Disney. A lot of the more adult-targeted films were made under the Buena Vista or Touchstone names rather than Disney so as to not make people think they were children's movies. My understanding is that they'll play anything that is either made, owned or distributed by any of the Disney-owned labels. Whether they're ready yet to include those under the Fox label is unknown but I would expect that they will eventually. But it may depend on which movies - some of the Fox ones are much more adult than the Buena Vista or Touchstone ones so they may not show those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter