Activities for adults who don’t drink alcohol?

Tigger Trainer

Mouseketeer
Hello Dis Board Family,

My wife and I are preparing for our first Disney Cruise in September 2022. We don’t drink alcohol, but a lot of what we see in videos, on the boards, and on various websites like DCLFan.com, we notice that there seems to be a lot of activities for those who drink alcohol.

We would love to enjoy some of the lounges and other activities. What are your favorite activities that don’t involve alcohol?

Any advice for an adults only trip would be appreciated. We are going on a 3 Night Bahama Cruise on the Dream with stops at Nassau and Castaway Cay. We plan on staying on the ship in Nassau.

We don't drink alcohol either. We basically do everything except any alcohol tasting experiences. Otherwise, every lounge, bar, restaurant, etc. serves non-alcoholic drinks and mocktails.

Really the only things that involve alcohol as a part of the experience are the various beverage tastings. Occasionally lounges are closed for these events, but often part is used for the tasting and part is open for other guests.

The pub-style bar has table games (these may not be available yet due to covid protocols) and televised sports
The piano lounges (Keys and Cadillac) have live music that you can enjoy with purchasing alcohol.
The other lounges will have the same process, you can enjoy the space without purchasing alcohol.

In the lounges, a server will come by your seats and you can order nothing and they will just leave a napkin at your table to show you have been asked. The servers will not approach again unless you signal them. You can also ask for water (free), soft drinks or other non-alcoholic beverages (these will have a cost). Many people get a soft drink from the pool deck and bring it to the lounge.

I don't drink alcohol and I can't say I've ever been bored on a Disney Cruise. In fact, I think the vast majority of activities don't involve alcohol at all. There are some tastings and some people like to order drinks and have them...wherever, but it's NOTHING like the RCCL cruise we did where I felt like literally everyone was totally drunk and if you didn't have a "Boozin' and Cruisin'" shirt on, you were an anomaly.

What kinds of activities do you like? Trivia? Games? Crafts? Drawing? Shows? There's a lot to do.

We've never cruised but we plan to just enjoy trivia and bingo and the adult only areas. The only concern of mine would be for Remy's/Palo's for the food made with alcohol which might not be an issue for other non-drinkers but for my fiancé in recovery it is.

My husband drinks alcohol and I typically do not. He goes to beverage tastings without me, and otherwise, we are able to do all activities together, including dining at Palo and Remy. As others have mentioned, servers in lounges and on the pool deck may ask if you want a drink, but will always take no for an answer. There are no "cover charges" for musical performances, comedy shows, dance parties, and so on, and you should not feel any pressure to order anything, even a soda, if you don't want to.

I'm sure that if guests need to avoid any alcohol, in both the main and specialty dining halls servers can work with them to adjust dishes or select alternatives as needed, just as they do with food allergies and even preferences.

I agree with the other posters. We don't drink and find that there is no pressure to drink. I have found tons of stuff to do. Even the stuff that is done in the bars & pubs there is no requirement to drink. They are just held in those areas because there is space and chairs available.

One thing I always try to do is the Art of the Ship tour. It is a tour of the public areas of the ship and the host gives subtle details about the ships. From design, layouts, hidden things (glass Remy in Remy). One host said on the Dream there are 900 items the host can detail so every tour is unique as different hosts highlight different items.

We also like the towel folding demo, cooking demo and the shows that aren't the main shows, like ventriloquist, magician, dancers, etc.

And don't forget the movies!

We are not big drinkers - generally little to none at home and maybe a drink with dinner on vacation - and that was a big part of why we went with a Disney cruise. At the risk of stereotyping, we didn't want to be on a booze cruise. Plus, we love Disney and that magical Disney service. We were not disappointed on our cruise at all. Never felt pressured to buy a drink. Never felt left out if we didn't have one. We leave for our next Disney cruise in 82 days.

Friend of Bill here, and my wife, well, she just chooses not to drink alcohol.
Big reason we have loved DCL is the general NON-partying atmosphere.

Cove Cafe is a terrific coffee bar.
All the lounge and main-stage shows can be enjoyed with soft drinks or coffee or tea.
Trivia games in the Pub, activities on the athletic decks, character M&G's, etc
I have never felt like "I didn't belong" because I don't drink alcohol.

We've never cruised but we plan to just enjoy trivia and bingo and the adult only areas. The only concern of mine would be for Remy's/Palo's for the food made with alcohol which might not be an issue for other non-drinkers but for my fiancé in recovery it is.
We’ve eaten at Palo many times and have never had any problem finding dishes we wanted that weren’t made with alcohol. But, if you find something you want that is, talk with your sever and/or chef.

Hello Dis Board Family,

My wife and I are preparing for our first Disney Cruise in September 2022. We don’t drink alcohol, but a lot of what we see in videos, on the boards, and on various websites like DCLFan.com, we notice that there seems to be a lot of activities for those who drink alcohol.

We would love to enjoy some of the lounges and other activities. What are your favorite activities that don’t involve alcohol?

Any advice for an adults only trip would be appreciated. We are going on a 3 Night Bahama Cruise on the Dream with stops at Nassau and Castaway Cay. We plan on staying on the ship in Nassau.
Great mocktails at all bars and lounges!

This will absolutely not be a problem for you. You can go into all bars/lounges and enjoy entertainment when it is offered. You can go to adult piano or music performances and not order a drink. If you feel any pressure at all, a simple no or I am not able to drink alcohol (without going into any detail) will make everyone feel at home. I have listened to music in the lounges at night without any pressure to buy a drink. I might buy a mocktail or soda if I wanted one but never felt pressured to do so.

Typical disney cruises don't have a lot of drunks and is not a booze cruise. Yes there are tastings but outside of that I did not feel that there was a lot of alcohol offered to me.

Movies are great, enjoy the adult - quiet cove pool or go up to satellite falls up one more deck on the Dream and enjoy that. Grab a soda from Deck 11 if you want to feel like you have a drink in your hand and don't want to feel left out.

Enjoy all the broadway style shows as well. Additionally, lots of trivia during the day and karoke at night is also fun. They also have movies on the funnel vision outside on Deck 11 and don't forget the Aqua Duck if you can do it - it is worth doing even just once during your sailing.

Do the Art of the Ship Tour and look for other similar activities. See characters there are lots of them and play shuffleboard on deck 4 (equipment if not out on deck 4 is at the port adventures desk on deck 5 or ask guest services for it).

Get lots of pictures taken - you are not obligated to buy any of them if you don't like them. Enjoy your main dining room meals - they truly are first class experience and five star dinners with some different and unique items.

Remember on a Disney Cruise, if you order something and you don't like it - tell them and they will bring you something else. On occasion when we have gone with both kids - sometimes for dessert- we just ask for one of everything for the table and just share amongst us 4.

Your 3 days will fly by and you will wish you had more days! A great experience and hope you truly enjoy it.

The kiddo & I love getting the non-alc drink of the day at dinner and the non-alc konk kooler on Castaway is great.

All the bars serve non-alcoholic beverages, unless you're going to one of the tastings there isn't any requirement that you drink alcohol at any of the activities. There isn't any indication that the original post would like to avoid places where other persons are drinking alcohol, which will be reasonably difficult. DCL doesn't have inclusive alcoholic beverage packages, so you don't get those maximizing their package like you get on other lines.

The kiddo & I love getting the non-alc drink of the day at dinner and the non-alc konk kooler on Castaway is great.
Are there any non-sweet DCL non alcoholic drinks you can recommend? DH quit drinking years ago, but finds many of the specialty non alcoholic drinks too sweet for his taste.

Are there any non-sweet DCL non alcoholic drinks you can recommend? DH quit drinking years ago, but finds many of the specialty non alcoholic drinks too sweet for his taste.
Hmm. That is a bit trickier.

Maybe start with seltzer (available for free via the blue SODA button on the Deck 9 dispensers), and add flavors like . . . . mint, citrus, coffee? fruits?

Bartenders might have some good ideas here.

I don't drink, and I've never had problems finding things to do on the ships that don't include alcohol (my favorite is all of the trivia events)

One thing I always try to do is the Art of the Ship tour.
Are they offering this again? I don’t think it was on my last two cruises (Wonder). I’ve always wanted to do this so hopefully it will be on the Dream next year.

Are they offering this again? I don’t think it was on my last two cruises (Wonder). I’ve always wanted to do this so hopefully it will be on the Dream next year.
I don’t know if they are offering that tour yet again on embarkation day but they have been offering making of the Dream sessions in one of the pubs or lounges as a way to learn about how the Dream was made. I can confirm that as of thanksgiving 2021 this making of the Dream was offered on board.

We did the tour on the May 16th Wonder Cruise so I can say it's back on the Wonder - unfortunately I don't know about The Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter