ABD Rhine River Cruise vs Viking River Cruise

mimmiepnp

DIS Veteran
We are considering a Rhine River Cruise in 2021 and only considered doing this thru ABD but in conversation with other individuals I think we also need to look the Viking Cruise Line as well. It has nothing to do with cost as it seems comparable but do have some trepidation when I read about ABD cancelling destinations due to low capacity. I know ABD is top notch and I never worry when in Disney hands but for anyone that has been on a Viking River Cruise what are your thoughts.
Thank you 😊

We are considering a Rhine River Cruise in 2021 and only considered doing this thru ABD but in conversation with other individuals I think we also need to look the Viking Cruise Line as well. It has nothing to do with cost as it seems comparable but do have some trepidation when I read about ABD cancelling destinations due to low capacity. I know ABD is top notch and I never worry when in Disney hands but for anyone that has been on a Viking River Cruise what are your thoughts.
Thank you 😊
I highly doubt they would cancel a river cruise, as they have commissioned the entire ship. I would think it would cost them more to cancel then to go with a low number of people. I have never heard of an ABD river cruise being cancelled. I suppose anything is possible.

From what I've heard, Viking skews much older, and their excursions are not as "active" as ABDs. I have adult friends who have done Viking, and they've liked it. I don't know anyone who has taken children on Viking. (I don't know if that's an issue for you)

You might want to look at Tauck Bridge's river cruises. I think that would be more comparable to ABD.

Sayhello

Viking River cruises and ocean cruises are adult only. They do not accept guests under 18. Even if you are not sailing with kids, I would consider some of the more upscale river cruise companies such as Uniworld, Tauck, Scenic, Emerald and Avalon before Viking. Those lines would be much more similar to Ama and the ABD river cruises on the Ama ships.

Viking River cruises and ocean cruises are adult only. They do not accept guests under 18. Even if you are not sailing with kids, I would consider some of the more upscale river cruise companies such as Uniworld, Tauck, Scenic, Emerald and Avalon before Viking. Those lines would be much more similar to Ama and the ABD river cruises on the Ama ships.
I didn't realize they were strictly Adults Only. That explains why I don't know anyone who had taken kids on a Viking Cruise! :)

That said, they could even book directly with AmaWaterways! They would have the same great ships & crews, just not the Adventure Guides or the ABD level excursions!

Sayhello

Check out Tauck Bridges river cruises. Family orientated as ABD but smaller numbers. We loved the Danube cruise we took with them.

Viking docked next to our AMA river cruise boat several times during our June river cruise--as PPs have noted-skew much much older and interestingly, didn't have bicycles (at least the boats we observed) which sort of indicates the activity level to me.

If I went on a river cruise again, it would definitely be with AMA-they are so professional and the ships are very very nice.

I've done an ABD river cruise and an AMA-only river cruise. Both wonderful but very different. I wouldn't hesitate to do either of them again.

Viking docked next to our AMA river cruise boat several times during our June river cruise--as PPs have noted-skew much much older and interestingly, didn't have bicycles (at least the boats we observed) which sort of indicates the activity level to me.

If I went on a river cruise again, it would definitely be with AMA-they are so professional and the ships are very very nice.
My aunt recently did a Viking cruise and the low activity level was her major complaint. But she enjoyed the trip overall.

Try Tauck or Uniworld. Both have family cruises. I've done one with each, and they were both fantastic. Although service was great for both, the Uniworld crew went above and beyond. I can't say enough good things about them.

Hello If you do a Viking/Ama/Tauck are you bound by their excursions or could you plan on your own. Prefer to be independent and we are quite active as well. Thanks for all of the above helpful posts!

Hello If you do a Viking/Ama/Tauck are you bound by their excursions or could you plan on your own. Prefer to be independent and we are quite active as well. Thanks for all of the above helpful posts!

You can do whatever you want on Ama. The cruise manager will even help you set up taxi, etc. Ama cruises are very active orientated with a fitness instructor and biking tours. You can also just take out bikes and go wherever you want.

You aren't tied to the excursions on Viking either. We're looking at them for a future trip and on some days they have upward of 8 excursions to choose from or you can do your own thing.

We returned from our Ama Lea Disney Danube cruise yesterday. Our boat was docked near a Viking boat several times. The Viking boat was definitely older and it showed but this was only the outside, I didn't go in. Is the Viking cruise considered a luxury boat? The Ama boats were more modern looking and the service was top notch. As others have mentioned, it might be best to compare to other comparable companies. I just didn't get the feel that Viking was in the same category as Ama Waterways.

We returned from our Ama Lea Disney Danube cruise yesterday. Our boat was docked near a Viking boat several times. The Viking boat was definitely older and it showed but this was only the outside, I didn't go in. Is the Viking cruise considered a luxury boat? The Ama boats were more modern looking and the service was top notch. As others have mentioned, it might be best to compare to other comparable companies. I just didn't get the feel that Viking was in the same category as Ama Waterways.

I have a former boss who has taken several Viking river cruises and has enjoyed them. I'm of the mindset that Disney is only going to partner with the best. My two Ama cruises have been stellar and if (when) I take another river cruise I'm sticking with them.

Thank you 😊
We have booked a ton of Viking cruises, it is our agencies top vacation spot!!! for 30 plus years! Sure, it is a slower pace. then a traditional cruise, but I myself like that. There is also many chances to find a fly free or two for one special!..🛳

My daughter and I did the AMA only Christmas market cruise last year. It was wonderful. The ship and crew were top notch, food was great and each day they offered two or three levels of excursions, active to not so. I was very pleased overall and it exceeded my expectations. My husband and I would like to do a Rhine Cruise and we will definitely choose Ama.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter