ABD Rhine River Cruise vs Viking River Cruise

mimmiepnp

DIS Veteran
We are considering a Rhine River Cruise in 2021 and only considered doing this thru ABD but in conversation with other individuals I think we also need to look the Viking Cruise Line as well. It has nothing to do with cost as it seems comparable but do have some trepidation when I read about ABD cancelling destinations due to low capacity. I know ABD is top notch and I never worry when in Disney hands but for anyone that has been on a Viking River Cruise what are your thoughts.
Thank you 😊

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
We are considering a Rhine River Cruise in 2021 and only considered doing this thru ABD but in conversation with other individuals I think we also need to look the Viking Cruise Line as well. It has nothing to do with cost as it seems comparable but do have some trepidation when I read about ABD cancelling destinations due to low capacity. I know ABD is top notch and I never worry when in Disney hands but for anyone that has been on a Viking River Cruise what are your thoughts.
Thank you 😊
I highly doubt they would cancel a river cruise, as they have commissioned the entire ship. I would think it would cost them more to cancel then to go with a low number of people. I have never heard of an ABD river cruise being cancelled. I suppose anything is possible.

From what I've heard, Viking skews much older, and their excursions are not as "active" as ABDs. I have adult friends who have done Viking, and they've liked it. I don't know anyone who has taken children on Viking. (I don't know if that's an issue for you)

You might want to look at Tauck Bridge's river cruises. I think that would be more comparable to ABD.

Sayhello

• kaseyC

Mom to 3 lovely Princesses
    Viking River cruises and ocean cruises are adult only. They do not accept guests under 18. Even if you are not sailing with kids, I would consider some of the more upscale river cruise companies such as Uniworld, Tauck, Scenic, Emerald and Avalon before Viking. Those lines would be much more similar to Ama and the ABD river cruises on the Ama ships.

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
    Viking River cruises and ocean cruises are adult only. They do not accept guests under 18. Even if you are not sailing with kids, I would consider some of the more upscale river cruise companies such as Uniworld, Tauck, Scenic, Emerald and Avalon before Viking. Those lines would be much more similar to Ama and the ABD river cruises on the Ama ships.
    I didn't realize they were strictly Adults Only. That explains why I don't know anyone who had taken kids on a Viking Cruise! :)

That said, they could even book directly with AmaWaterways! They would have the same great ships & crews, just not the Adventure Guides or the ABD level excursions!

Sayhello

carpenta

DIS Veteran
    Check out Tauck Bridges river cruises. Family orientated as ABD but smaller numbers. We loved the Danube cruise we took with them.

tink1970

DCL Platinum
    Viking docked next to our AMA river cruise boat several times during our June river cruise--as PPs have noted-skew much much older and interestingly, didn't have bicycles (at least the boats we observed) which sort of indicates the activity level to me.

If I went on a river cruise again, it would definitely be with AMA-they are so professional and the ships are very very nice.

• OhanaCuz

I can finally say that I've been on an ABD.
    I've done an ABD river cruise and an AMA-only river cruise. Both wonderful but very different. I wouldn't hesitate to do either of them again.

Jess_S

DIS Veteran
    Viking docked next to our AMA river cruise boat several times during our June river cruise--as PPs have noted-skew much much older and interestingly, didn't have bicycles (at least the boats we observed) which sort of indicates the activity level to me.

If I went on a river cruise again, it would definitely be with AMA-they are so professional and the ships are very very nice.
    My aunt recently did a Viking cruise and the low activity level was her major complaint. But she enjoyed the trip overall.

Bobo912

DIS Veteran
    Try Tauck or Uniworld. Both have family cruises. I've done one with each, and they were both fantastic. Although service was great for both, the Uniworld crew went above and beyond. I can't say enough good things about them.

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates