ABD Date Changes

PrincessYessenia

DVC Member - AKV
My mom and I will be doing the Australia ABD next August on my birthday, but they don't have the dates up passed April. My question is...Do the dates change from year to year or do they generally stay the same? The one this year that we hope will be the same dates next year is from August 7th-16th, and that would be ideal since my birthday is August 12th. Anyone know?

It really depends on what sells and what doesn't. There's always a chance the same (or similar) dates may be offered, but there's really no guarantee. The schedule, in general, seems to shift a lot from year to year. For instance, it would be hard to compare this year's to last year's, as they cut back the number of departures a great deal from 2009 to 2010, most likely due to the economy.

Next year's schedule should be released in August.

Sayhello

That would be the worst, if it were cancelled. Do lots get cancelled or is it more on rare occasions? I'm sure it also depends on the time of year when you go, too.

That would be the worst, if it were cancelled. Do lots get cancelled or is it more on rare occasions? I'm sure it also depends on the time of year when you go, too.
Last year was kind of a unique situation, as they'd expanded a LOT just before the economy tanked. They worked really hard to reschedule folks and consolidate trips; it worked for some, not for others, but they were very generous when rebooking, or gave full refunds, including in all that airfare not purchased through them.

That being said, yes, it sucks having your trip cancelled. But I don't recall hearing of any cancellations this year. They've also changed their policy that they won't cancel any trips less than 85 days before it starts. So things have looked MUCH better on the cancellation front this year.

Sayhello

Thanks for the help. It's kind of hard for my mom to get 2 weeks off from work so if we made plans and they were cancelled I don't know how that would pan out at work for her. Plus I'll be starting Veterinary school next year and I need to plan accordingly. But what would be reason to cancel? Not enough people booked?

Thanks for the help. It's kind of hard for my mom to get 2 weeks off from work so if we made plans and they were cancelled I don't know how that would pan out at work for her. Plus I'll be starting Veterinary school next year and I need to plan accordingly. But what would be reason to cancel? Not enough people booked?
Well, they could conceivably cancel if there was civil unrest in an area, or maybe a hurricane was slated to hit, or things of that nature that might pose a danger to you. I cannot remember if the Peru trip last month got cancelled because of road collapses near Macchu Pichu, but that's the only trip I've heard of even possibly being cancelled due to any reason other than lack of people.

Last year, some trips only had 2 or 3 people signed up, so that was why trips got cancelled & consolidated. I've been on 1 trip that went with 14 people, and another that went with 15, and I know others who have gone on trips with small numbers, so it's not like they're going to cancel just because 40 people didn't sign up. I really think ABD was between a rock & a hard place last year, due to the economy.

They've also instituted a new policy this year that they will not cancel any trip less than 85 days before it goes, so at least you'd have 3 month's warning. I have to admit; it's one of the downsides of ABD. But their trips are just so fabulous, it seems to be worth the risk...

Sayhello

Well, they could conceivably cancel if there was civil unrest in an area, or maybe a hurricane was slated to hit, or things of that nature that might pose a danger to you. I cannot remember if the Peru trip last month got cancelled because of road collapses near Macchu Pichu, but that's the only trip I've heard of even possibly being cancelled due to any reason other than lack of people.

Last year, some trips only had 2 or 3 people signed up, so that was why trips got cancelled & consolidated. I've been on 1 trip that went with 14 people, and another that went with 15, and I know others who have gone on trips with small numbers, so it's not like they're going to cancel just because 40 people didn't sign up. I really think ABD was between a rock & a hard place last year, due to the economy.

They've also instituted a new policy this year that they will not cancel any trip less than 85 days before it goes, so at least you'd have 3 month's warning. I have to admit; it's one of the downsides of ABD. But their trips are just so fabulous, it seems to be worth the risk...

Sayhello

Agree! There was a terrible earthquake in China in 2008--hitting one of the cities were were to go to with ABD. Disney rearranged the tour, but didn't cancel it--and also donated a $1 million to earthquake relief. I'd book but do take out insurance to protect yourself from unforseen circumstances.

Thanks for all your help. I can't wait until the dates are released so we can book already. I'm impatiently waiting :bored:...we are so anxious about it:hyper: I'm pretty sure it's going to be the best vacation ever, since my mom and I have wanted to go since I was a little girl. It has ALWAYS been my dream vacay :cloud9: And with ABD it will (I'm sure) be absolutely perfect, versus us going alone.

sayhello, I have an off-topic question for you. Do you get pins according to the activities you do? And are they per person or per family? I'm an avid Disney Pin Collector and I have over 500 so getting more pins is even more reason for me to go :rolleyes1 The ABD pins are so exclusive!

Thanks for all your help. I can't wait until the dates are released so we can book already. I'm impatiently waiting :bored:...we are so anxious about it:hyper: I'm pretty sure it's going to be the best vacation ever, since my mom and I have wanted to go since I was a little girl. It has ALWAYS been my dream vacay :cloud9: And with ABD it will (I'm sure) be absolutely perfect, versus us going alone.

sayhello, I have an off-topic question for you. Do you get pins according to the activities you do? And are they per person or per family? I'm an avid Disney Pin Collector and I have over 500 so getting more pins is even more reason for me to go :rolleyes1 The ABD pins are so exclusive!
It is a little crazy-making, waiting for ABD to release their dates, but I'm sure you'll make it! :thumbsup2 Australia has always been high on my list of places I want to go someday, also. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

The ABD pins are unique by trip. There is a set for the Australia trip, a set for the American Southwest trip, a set for the Viva Italia trip, etc, etc. But everyone on a particular trip gets the same pins, one each day, to go with the theme of the day. Those pins are only available *on* that particular trip, and cannot be purchased anywhere. (Well, officially, at least. Anything can be bought off ebay...) Every person on the trip gets their own set of pins, and a lanyard to put them on. And yes, they are pretty exclusive!

Sayhello

Wow, that sounds great! I'm going to put my pins at the front of my collection and keep the ones my mom gets lol Now I'm getting even more excited :cool1:...It's just soooo far away :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter