Abbreviations for Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three60guy

CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ok boys and girls it's time for this public service announcement.

Outside of NASA, there is one place where abbreviations have grown almost uncontrollably. Almost all threads here have abbreviations in them and I found it really frustrating to have to stop each time to figure out what they meant before continuing to read those threads. The culture here makes it difficult for new comers to understand what many threads are talking about.

For those who do not frequent these threads as much as some do here is a list I compiled so I could decode what people are talking about. There are still a couple of them I haven't figured out even after looking at the point charts for DVC (Disney Vacation Club). If you have other abbreviations to add please add them to your reply to this thread. I will then edit this post to add them to this list from time to time.

If I am so bold as to suggest that they be kept at the top so people can refer to them as needed.

So, here they are:

Disney World:

AKV Animal Kingdom Villas
BCV Beach Club Villas
BWV Boardwalk Villas
HHIR Hilton Head Island Resort
OKW Old Key West Resort
SSR Saratoga Springs Resort
THV Tree House Villas
VB/VBR Vero Beach Resort
DWL/WLV Disney's Wilderness Lodge Villas
DCR Disney's Contemporary Resort
BLT Bacon Lettuce and Tomato hehe
BLT Disney's Bay Lake Towers at the Contemporary Resort
POFQ Port Orleans French Quarter
GFR Disney's Grand Floridian Resort

Disneyland Resorts:

VGC Villas at Grand Californian
GCH Grand Californian Hotel
PPH Paradise Pier Hotel
DH Disneyland Hotel

Other:

DCL Disney Cruise Lines
UY Use Year

Still Unknown:

HIFS

Keep them coming.

Thanks for the link Chuck. I tried to search by typing in "Abbreviations" into the Search tab and came up with thousands of threads but none which helped at all. To newcomers there simply would be no way to find that link easily without looking at a thread like this that would be stuck at the top. Agreed? Thanks again

Cheers

Just wait soon you will be able to carry on entire abbreviated conversations with your friends and family on all things Disney. I can't tell you how many times I've referred to my husband as DH:lmao:

Ok, I give up. What does DH stand for? errrrrrrrr..........oops, I just checked that link. Dang, I shouldn't have to refer to a list each time. ARGH (GRIN)

With a list that long, I doubt anyone could remember them all.

Just hang around here a while! Too bad we can't all get a degree in Disney-speak!

You can't really fight it on a message board (of any kind), people get tired of typing long things out all the time, KWIM? :lmao:

(that's Know What I Mean)

I have been an administrator of similar boards. The normal protocol that most people use is to use the abbreviation followed by what it stands for the first time it is used in a thread. Further posting would then be free to use the abbreviation. Heck, even NASA follows that protocol. I'm just suggesting that the practice has become a bit loose and people sometimes need to be reminded that there are others who might better understand the flow of what is discussed by following the normal protocol. Otherwise we could end up talking like the following:

My oe prevented me from trying out the pop inside the sop which was agreed to by the bod.

What did I just say? Frustrating isn't it? That is what it is like here reading what people are talking about.

Ok, I give up. What does DH stand for? errrrrrrrr..........oops, I just checked that link. Dang, I shouldn't have to refer to a list each time. ARGH (GRIN)

With a list that long, I doubt anyone could remember them all.

Normal ?

jmho, seems like everyone ends up on ' same page ' so to speak very easily here...

fwiw op, you'll soon master it :thumbsup2 & especially for MNSSHP & MVMCP it's so much faster but ymmv!

btw :welcome:

Since we already have this DVC List of abbreviations which is DVC specific (this thread is not) I am closing this thread. WebmasterDoc's thread is easily found by entering "DVC Abbreviations" on the Search function, but I have bumped it up on Planning at this time. Thanks all..

P.S. HIFS = Holiday Inn Family Suites

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter