aare FW cabins handicap accessible?

zephyr34

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if the cabins are accessible with a wheelchair? In all of the pics I have seen, it looks like there are stairs leading to the entrance on the deck. We really would like to stay there, if possible.

Prior to joining DVC we have stayed at Fort Wilderness two times. They have a whole group of cabins that are ramped. The kitchen and bathroom are also adapted. The bedroom has a double bed and a set of bunks and there is a murphey bed in the living room.

The first time we stayed there we saved $$$ from previous trips by having breakfast, snacks, and occasionally another meal in the room. We found it cheaper than two hotel rooms at that time as well. It has been a few years but we also got a great bargain -- when we called back checking on specials they dropped the price $60 per night from what we were first quoted!

We really liked them. One thing to note is that the distance from the cabin to the bus stop can be a great distance. DH has a power chair so not a problem for us but if someone has difficulty with mobility or in a push chair request a unit NEAR the bus stop.

If you stay at FW consider going to Hoop de Doo.
It was a fun evening while there BUT a pain to transfer to several buses from OKW. Lots of things to do at FW -- hayrides, petting zoo, pools, beach area, outdoor movies, chip and dale come to the marshmallow roast, and vast area to enjoy outdoor activities such as bike riding, fishing, etc.

Hope you enjoy it if you decide to stay there.
Linda

Disneyland-'66,'81,
Car. Beach '89,
FW cabins 94,95
Joined the DVC 95 !
HH 9x, OKW 2x, BW 1x, Vero 2x, & Magic 2x

I have stayed at FW Handi homes....and they are NIIIIIIICCCCEEEE!!!!! I have pics if you'd like me to email them to you :) I took a picture of EVERYTHING!!!!!! When are ya going? Oh! Also I think since I went last yr they remodeled in some fashion so I think they may have a different style of handi home this yr...I didnt get a chance to go look and see the new ones....sorry

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif

Hnadicapped Homes are no longer. Loops 2700 and 2800 have been revamped to cabins. Handicapped cabins should be available in February according to a post on RADP. No news on which loop or how many yet, The poster will let us know. Homes were in the 2800 loop and there were 8 accessible homes available. I would expect that Disney has a t least kept that many.

Pooh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter