A Very Pleasant Good Alaska Cruise - May 2014 Disney Wonder TR (Updated 1/18)

tayalltheway

Mouseketeer
A Very Pleasant Good Alaska Cruise
A May/June 2014 Disney Wonder Trip Report

Hi everyone! I’m Taylor, and you might recognize me from my past trip reports—most notably my “life report,” We Moved to Disneyland! Now What…? I’ve been absent from the DIS for a couple months to deal with personal issues and major life changes, but during that time, my wife Tracy and I also had an amazing Disney experience: we took our first Disney Cruise!

Our adventure was a 9-night sailing to Alaska on the Disney Wonder, and we loved every minute of it! From the ship to the ports of call, the entire cruise was a one-of-a-kind experience that has (I think) made us lifelong cruisers.

I’m excited to share all of our experiences with you, but I’m going to try something a little different with this trip report. After years of dealing with the limitations like 25-picture limits per post here on the DISboards, I’m going to post the updates about our cruise on a new Wordpress blog that I started (and hope to continue using to write posts that both are and aren’t Disney related).

I will keep an up-to-date table of contents here on the trip report thread, and I’ll let you all know whenever I post new updates. I also love responding to your comments as you read along, and I will continue to do so whether you comment here or on the blog itself.

I hope all you wonderful faithful readers from my other reports will join us on this adventure, but in case you’re new to my writing and need a little more information to decide if this report is right for you, here is some basic information about Tracy and me.

That’s us. We’ve been together since 2005 and married since 2010, and we figured with the timing of this cruise, we could think of it as an early anniversary celebration. As you will soon read about, our lives changed pretty drastically right before we took this cruise, but up until the beginning of June, Tracy and I were living about 10 minutes away from Disneyland in Orange, CA. We’re Premium Annual Passholders who love all the Disney Parks on both coasts. This was my first cruise and Tracy’s first Disney Cruise, and it was both of our first times to Alaska.

Yay! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the cruise and see your photo's. We've sailed on the Wonder twice now and Alaska is definitely on the 'must do' list, but we'd also like to try a different Disney ship! Just means a few years ahead of Disney cruises :thumbsup2

I started reading your last TR but I am not sure I ever commented. Jumping in on this one. Can't wait to hear about your cruise to Alaska. :)

So glad to have you back and glad that life's bumps have smoothed for the two of you. :) I look very forward to hearing more about your continued adventures.

My husband and I have also been together since 2005 and married in 2010! Haha, I just thought that was a funny coincidence.

I have been reading your other "life" report thread, so I look forward to reading about your experience on a Disney Cruise. I have never been on a Disney Cruise, but I hope I can someday.

Taylor every time I try to go to the blog it says page not found. Is there a trick I need to know?

I followed you on DIS and would love to read about your adventures on a cruise as we are avid cruisers. Went to Alaska last September and had a great time. Did the Panama Canal this year in April, a must do cruise for everyone.

Very curious -- I get the same error message when I click on the link to the blog. Have I done something wrong too? I'm looking forward to reading the trip report as we leave in 40 days for our Alaska cruise!

Yay! Can't wait to read your thoughts on the cruise and see your photo's. We've sailed on the Wonder twice now and Alaska is definitely on the 'must do' list, but we'd also like to try a different Disney ship! Just means a few years ahead of Disney cruises :thumbsup2

Glad you're reading along! We fell in love with the Wonder, and thought it was a great ship to introduce us to cruising. I agree that we want to try other ones too, but we'd definitely sail on the Wonder again too. Oh darn, guess we'll just have to take several more cruises... ;)

I started reading your last TR but I am not sure I ever commented. Jumping in on this one. Can't wait to hear about your cruise to Alaska. :)

Thanks so much for reading and commenting :) I hope you enjoy hearing about our adventures!

So glad to have you back and glad that life's bumps have smoothed for the two of you. :) I look very forward to hearing more about your continued adventures.

I'm glad life is getting back to normal as well. The cruise was the perfect way to forget our troubles and just have an awesome time! :thumbsup2

So far so good...I'm in:)

Great! Hope you enjoy!! :cool1:

My husband and I have also been together since 2005 and married in 2010! Haha, I just thought that was a funny coincidence.

I have been reading your other "life" report thread, so I look forward to reading about your experience on a Disney Cruise. I have never been on a Disney Cruise, but I hope I can someday.

That is an interesting coincidence! Well, happy 4th/9th anniversary to you guys! :cheer2:

I'm glad that you hopped over here from the other thread, and I HIGHLY recommend you try a Disney Cruise sometime. As you'll soon see, it was an unforgettable experience for us!

Taylor every time I try to go to the blog it says page not found. Is there a trick I need to know?

I followed you on DIS and would love to read about your adventures on a cruise as we are avid cruisers. Went to Alaska last September and had a great time. Did the Panama Canal this year in April, a must do cruise for everyone.

Hopefully you got the link to work after I fixed it. I accidentally misspelled "mouseketeer" in the original URL, and I couldn't let that stand so I had to go back and fix everything :rotfl:

We would LOVE to do the Panama Canal cruise! I think it's definitely on our list of must-do's for the future!

Very curious -- I get the same error message when I click on the link to the blog. Have I done something wrong too? I'm looking forward to reading the trip report as we leave in 40 days for our Alaska cruise!

Sorry about the error. I hope it's fixed now and that we can get you pumped for your Alaska cruise coming up! You're in for an awesome adventure!!

Looking forward to more. Sorry you had a bad start to 2014 :sad2:

Sometimes that's just the way it goes :confused3 We're looking forward to the rest of the year being much better :thumbsup2 Thanks for reading along, and I hope you enjoy!!

Looking forward to the rest of the story. I feel like I'm reading a good novel:)

Aww, thanks :goodvibes I hope you have fun reading along and reliving our awesome cruise with us! :cool1:

Loving the cruise report so far! This is a trip we hope to do next year.

While looking at your pictures in downtown Seattle, I had déjà vu. The picture you took of the Space Needle was in the area right below our hotel room window in Seattle! We stayed at that Best Western a few weeks ago. :) The walk to the Space Needle was almost non-existent from there, and our hotel room view was incredible at night.

It's fun seeing the two of you in my neck of the woods, the PNW is truly a beautiful part of the US. I'm glad that you've had a chance to see some of it.

The photo of the Rhododendron bloom is lovely, what a vibrant color.

I'm looking forward to your cruise starting, I hope to go on one someday. :)

Loving the cruise report so far! This is a trip we hope to do next year.

While looking at your pictures in downtown Seattle, I had déjà vu. The picture you took of the Space Needle was in the area right below our hotel room window in Seattle! We stayed at that Best Western a few weeks ago. :) The walk to the Space Needle was almost non-existent from there, and our hotel room view was incredible at night.

Glad you're enjoying so far! :)

That's funny about the hotel!! I'm sure it looked QUITE familiar. Seemed like a great location!

It's fun seeing the two of you in my neck of the woods, the PNW is truly a beautiful part of the US. I'm glad that you've had a chance to see some of it.

The photo of the Rhododendron bloom is lovely, what a vibrant color.

I'm looking forward to your cruise starting, I hope to go on one someday. :)

We definitely love the PNW. I've been up a number of times to visit my aunt through the years and have always thought it was beautiful. If only we could handle rain a little better, there are times when we've said we'd like to live there...

I thought those flowers were really pretty too! It was nice to see the lovely foliage welcoming us to Canada.

You're in luck, as the cruise part of the blog is about to start! We met a lot of people from the Seattle/Vancouver area who took this cruise specifically because they didn't have to pay for airfare on top of the cost, so maybe you can head to Alaska sometime!

Looking forward to continuing with reading your blog. We were also on this same cruise, what an amazing experience we had. We miss it.

Thanks for all the info on the different areas of Vancouver. We now know which areas to avoid. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to continuing with reading your blog. We were also on this same cruise, what an amazing experience we had. We miss it.

Yay, I'm so glad we can help you relive the awesome cruise as well! :) We miss it so much...

Thanks for all the info on the different areas of Vancouver. We now know which areas to avoid. :thumbsup2

:rotfl:I feel like all we found were pretty much the areas to avoid. We did NOT do a good job researching Vancouver... We knew we wouldn't be there for long enough to take decent advantage of the city anyway, but a little more information might have been nice.

Awe! Stopped right there! I want to see the inside of that ship lol.

I personally extremely nervous about cruises so I can't wait to read more. Maybe it will change me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter