A Veggie and a Meat Lover vs Dlx Dining, June 8-18, Closing Thoughts 11/12

I'm still here!!! :) Love the reviews. I told DH we must try Beigarten when we go for 2nd HM/anniversary. I am sorry that you had a nasty waiter, but at least now you know for next time to just do the buffet. 1900 Park fare is fun, the mad hatter is always crazy every time we go. The tea room looked adorable. I have stayed at the GF many times and have never thought to go. Maybe next time...as long as they serve coffee also for DH. :lmao:

The veggie food that they brought for you at O'hana's looked just as amazing as all the other food. I am glad that they were thoughtful to your requests. I MUST get a lapu lapu next time, they look amazing. The picture of lapu lapu defeating you is awesome! I love your face. Seriously, I don't think I have ever ate a bad meal at O'hanas. I will continue to follow until you are done my dear.

I'm still here!!! :) Love the reviews. I told DH we must try Beigarten when we go for 2nd HM/anniversary. I am sorry that you had a nasty waiter, but at least now you know for next time to just do the buffet. 1900 Park fare is fun, the mad hatter is always crazy every time we go. The tea room looked adorable. I have stayed at the GF many times and have never thought to go. Maybe next time...as long as they serve coffee also for DH. :lmao:

The veggie food that they brought for you at O'hana's looked just as amazing as all the other food. I am glad that they were thoughtful to your requests. I MUST get a lapu lapu next time, they look amazing. The picture of lapu lapu defeating you is awesome! I love your face. Seriously, I don't think I have ever ate a bad meal at O'hanas. I will continue to follow until you are done my dear.
Well at least your still around! I hope you have a good experience with Biergarten. and make sure to eat a lot of pretzel bread!

The mad hatter was very funny when we went. and kept telling me that my button was incorrect because a week is not "just" married. So he said they should have one for each day. like "married 6 days" haha

I think its a nice change and really relaxing you should try it! its only open for like 3 hours in the middle of the day. I donno if they serve coffee...it might just be tea.

it was....I would gladly go back for it! yummy. I love how the Lapu Lapu is served....but you def need a little more juice in it. or maybe our server was trying to get us drunk! Ohana's was def some of our favorite meals of our trip! I hope we can get back there next trip! Thanks for following hun

I love reading your reviews..I'm still reading :) The tea room is a great little place. My DD (who was 6 at the time) and myself went there during our last trip. It was so much fun to do. My DH took our two DS s to the ESPN club while we had our little tea. It was a great day for everyone. Glad you guys loved it too!:thumbsup2

I'm still here and loving every review. Were planning on the Garden View Tea Roomso I'm happy to see a review of that. I have recently started eating mostly vegetarian again, although I'm more of a Pescetarian, but still I have been anxiously awaiting more reviews from you. I wish Chef TJ was still at Ohanas. I really want to try that veggie tower.

So glad that you enjoyed Ohana's! :thumbsup2 It was one of our favorites last year! In fact I'll be taking my DM and DU (which looks kind of weird so maybe I should just put uncle) there this Nov!

Thanks for sharing our reviews! :goodvibes

I love reading your reviews..I'm still reading :) The tea room is a great little place. My DD (who was 6 at the time) and myself went there during our last trip. It was so much fun to do. My DH took our two DS s to the ESPN club while we had our little tea. It was a great day for everyone. Glad you guys loved it too!:thumbsup2
Oh that sounds like fun! I bet she enjoyed it. There were a good amount of little girls there, they all seemed to really enjoy it.
I'm still here and loving every review. Were planning on the Garden View Tea Roomso I'm happy to see a review of that. I have recently started eating mostly vegetarian again, although I'm more of a Pescetarian, but still I have been anxiously awaiting more reviews from you. I wish Chef TJ was still at Ohanas. I really want to try that veggie tower.
Oh thats great! I hope you enjoy it just as much as we did. I was actually really happy to get 2 of each of the types. they are so small I got to enjoy more! I didn't realize he left!!! He was def still there in June! That sucks. They might still do it without him there. They definitely work well with vegetarians so....i'm sure you can still have a good experience.
So glad that you enjoyed Ohana's! :thumbsup2 It was one of our favorites last year! In fact I'll be taking my DM and DU (which looks kind of weird so maybe I should just put uncle) there this Nov!

Thanks for sharing our reviews! :goodvibes

Oh I hope they like it! Make sure to go very very hungry. so you can eat everything! :laughing:

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little annoyed that you got more noodles than DH and I did when we went to Ohana! :laughing: If you check out our TR you'll see what I mean. :sad2: They were probably the best noodles I've ever had.

Yeah, those lapu lapus are strong, I had my first ever @ Ohana too!

Thanks for sharing your meal at Ohana's with us:thumbsup2. My DD14 is vege and we've been looking at the menus (even though our next trip isn't until Aug 2012 ;) ) she's been a bit concerned that her only options seem to be salad, pasta with marinara sauce or cheese pizza:sad2: so you've given her hope :woohoo: Thanks again

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little annoyed that you got more noodles than DH and I did when we went to Ohana! :laughing: If you check out our TR you'll see what I mean. :sad2: They were probably the best noodles I've ever had.

Yeah, those lapu lapus are strong, I had my first ever @ Ohana too!
hmmmmm thats weird that you got less! I would have been sad about it too.

I was surprised that even though we ate so much it went straight to my head! :laughing:
Thanks for sharing your meal at Ohana's with us:thumbsup2. My DD14 is vege and we've been looking at the menus (even though our next trip isn't until Aug 2012 ;) ) she's been a bit concerned that her only options seem to be salad, pasta with marinara sauce or cheese pizza:sad2: so you've given her hope :woohoo: Thanks again

Make sure you contact the dietary request line for her (the information is on my first post) it was a lot of help and saved a lot of headache. even though I think many restaurants would be accommodating. I'm glad I could give her some hope. I am hoping that in 2 years they will have even more choices for vegetarians! so fingers crossed for you guys. we'll be back in June to eat lots more, i'll do a report for that as well.

Hey all. I really meant to post this last week...but I just never had time....which sucks so i'll just do a whole day this week.

Day 9 Part 1

So this morning was something I had been really looking forward to. Kona! If you haven't figured out yet....I love breakfast....DH not so much....but this wasn't a buffet and he was happy to go! We arrived on time and checked in. We waited for a while for them to figure out their system (not sure what was going on) then we were seated.
IMG_3852.jpg

(we were going to AK today....can you see that DH is prepared with his shirt?)

We both got a South Pacific Smoothie, it was mixed berry flavored.
IMG_3854.jpg

DH got Lilikoi Juice and I got coffee.

These smoothies are really good. though it was a bit much for me with all the food we got. This would be a great thing to get a midday treat....I could have used it when we were melting at AK later..

Our waitress was really sweet and welcoming. She seemed to really enjoy her job and made Breakfast nice and relaxing

I of course had to get Tonga Toast - Banana-stuffed sourdough bread, rolled in cinnamon sugar.
IMG_3859.jpg

I'm not sure if everyone gets fruit....or if I did because I didn't get the side of meat.
IMG_3856.jpg

These are my sides for it. Strawberry sauce is whats in the little pitcher.
I'm sure I don't have to tell most of you how awesome this really it. It really did not disappoint. It was so so good. I even went on search for a recipe right when we got home. Haven't had a chance to try it out....but I def will soon. YUM.

DH got Steak and Eggs - 5-oz New York Strip Steak char-grilled and served with two Eggs, home fried potatoes, and biscuits
IMG_3857.jpg

He was very happy to get this...He doesn't eat a lot of red meat with me but we were on our honeymoon! so he treated himself. I think this made up for all the breakfast buffets I dragged him to. He loved this.
IMG_3861.jpg

So we side with most people when they say Kona Breakfast is one of the best! I think it is a def possibility for our anniversary trip...though all food at Poly is awesome....so we might have a hard time choosing! If you have a chance I would def go and try breakfast!

Later in the day I got my first (and only :sad2:) Mickey Ice cream. YUM!
IMG_3890.jpg

Be back later for dinner review.

Ugh....I wanted to post this yesterday but the internet went down at work....and I couldn't!

Day 9 Part 2

Tonight was something we were very excited for....Jiko! I had heard such awesome things about Jiko and where else would be get to try African cuisine?

We checked in and were given a buzzer.
IMG_3892.jpg

We ended up having to wait around 15-20 mins. so we walked around then hung around by the bar taking in the atmosphere.
DSC_0042-1.jpg

We were seated right next to the window and the little stream that runs next to the restaurant.
IMG_3898.jpg

it was a really nice spot!

Our server came over, extremely excited that we were on our honeymoon! She was the friendliest server I have ever had in my life. She told us to relax and take it easy, she would make sure everything was perfect.
She also gave us a card!
IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

this was such a nice touch. Then our drink orders were taken. I wanted to try something different because we were in a different resturant. This was the only place that had hard cider so I jumped on that.
IMG_3900.jpg
IMG_3902.jpg

DH on the other hand got some extremely fruity drink....that I don't even know what its called....:rotfl: soooo...heres a photo of it!
IMG_3901.jpg

Okay so.....at our first meal at Artist Point....I saw that all the kids got mickey straws.....well...I of course wanted one. But DH told me that no we were at a fancy restaurant and I should behave. :sad1: so...tonight I decided I was done "behaving" and I wanted my damn mickey straw. So I asked our awesome server......if she happened to have mickey straws. she said she was very sorry but they didn't have any. Oh well.....

then 5 mins later she came out with THESE!
DSC_0045.jpg

yay! hahaha I was very happy about these. she went over to one of the other restaurants to get them...of course it ended up setting off the kids next to us...and she had to run back and get 2 more! :rotfl:

I told our server about our dietary request and she brought out a special Vegetarian menu! Now....I've gotten the vegtarian menu at San Angel...which is pretty much 2 very terrible choices on a seperate piece of paper. This had so much!
IMG_3895.jpg

we were also each brought out a special soup from the chef.....and for the life of me I can not remember what it was. but it was so so good...(but I love all soups!)
IMG_3896.jpg

So DH wanted mussels our first night but they were sold out. so he was easy and quickly decided it was mussel time!
Fire-Roasted Mussels - Served with lamb merguez, sweet potatoes, and spiced tomato broth.
IMG_3904.jpg

DH loved mussels....I think its hard to not make him happy when he gets these. so he was ecstatic!
for once I had a lot to choose from.....but I went with
Crispy Savanna Rolls - With sweet corn, bitter greens, goat cheese and curry vinaigrette
IMG_3906.jpg

O-M-G. is pretty much the only way to describe these. They were amazing. I would say ranking in the top food of the whole vacation. I loved these. and I was very sad when I had cleaned the plate.....I just wanted more.
IMG_3907.jpg

Bread....this butter was pretty good as well.....what is it with Disney bread and butter? Why is it so so good?

There is only one Vegetarian Entree. but I am pretty sure they would have made you anything you wanted. So I of course went with Chakalaka - South African tomato relish with Edamame, Coconut Rice, and Amasi
IMG_3908.jpg

Okay so I've never had anything close to African cuisine. This was really really good. I have to say it was a bit overpoweringly spicy. But I am not really into spicy. If we go back I might ask them if they came tame it down for me. But it was still really really good. Its so nice to get a creative vegetarian dish.

DH decided to go with Spice Crusted Tuna - With toasted Pearl pasta salad, and lemon-mint Creme Fraiche
IMG_3909.jpg

DH was surprised by this dish. He very much enjoyed it and though it is very rare tuna. So....I think people who like Sushi would be more into this. DH does not...so he was a little surprised by how rare.

After dinner we were surprised with
IMG_3912.jpg

I think its a smaller version of the Pistachio Creme Brulee - With a chocolate-layered bottom. I have never had Creme Brulee...but this was a nice way to try it. I very much enjoyed it.

Then of course because we are on the dining plan she asked us if we wanted dessert!! I said no....and just got some french press coffee. DH ordered Jiko Trio - with Flourless Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Mousse, and Caramel Ice Cream
IMG_3914.jpg

I picked at it a bit but we were so full at this point that it wasn't happening. DH even had some coffee! shocker.

So...funny story with the coffee....I am a little addicted. Being in Disney I didn't get my fix too often...so she brought the press out (not pressed) with the dessert....so I wasn't sure if I was suppose to press it...? soooo.....I kind of took it upon myself to start pressing it...and got scolded! haha apparently it needs to sit and i'm suppose to be relaxing! :rotfl: oops.

at the end she asked if we wanted our photo taken
IMG_3913.jpg

This was an extremely enjoyable meal. This was probably the most quiet restaurant of the trip. It is also kind of dark which made you feel like you were alone. which was kind of nice. Our server was amazing. we pretty much closed the restaurant because we were having such a fantastic time! I would say for a romantic meal....this is at the top of my list. Its perfect for a special romantic night out. The kids by us also seemed to enjoy it....and because of the atmosphere they all seemed extremely well behaved.....I think its the vibe of the place! We loved Jiko and would def go back!

My apologies for how MIA I have been lately. I had an art show and it ate up all of my time! Sigh. Enough with excuses! lets review some food.

Day 10

So our original plan for today was to eat at Cape May for Breakfast...but DH was totally buffet breakfasted out. So I called and scored a reservation for 1pm at Mama Melrose's. So because we were both use to eating Breakfast each day....we were starving by noon and decided to try and get in early. Fail. It was so crowded because the restaurant had just opened. I think we ended up waiting 20-30 mins. Which was fine...at least it was earlier!
IMG_3928.jpg

They were a little disorganized. which was kind of funny to watch....and they all seemed so confused and no one knew what was going on.

So this was our first time at Mama Melrose and we were excited. We don't go out for Italian too much because a lot it easy to make at home. But we both love Italian.
IMG_3929-1.jpg

IMG_3931.jpg

Our waitress came by and we talked about my dietary needs. She said they could make me pretty much anything I wanted.

I have to say after 10 days on a dining plan. I probably could have just had a salad. I felt like I needed more healthy food or something..
IMG_3933.jpg

I got of diet coke as usual and DH got a lemonade (probably raspberry or strawberry)

DH got the Bruschetta - Marinated tomatoes served with Crostini
IMG_3934.jpg

Bruschetta is one of DH favorite Apps so he was excited. He said this was exceptionally good.

I got a salad that seems to no longer be on the menu? :confused3 It was an apple, walnut and blue cheese salad with vinaigrette.
IMG_3935.jpg

Now....before this trip. I didn't like blue cheese and I didn't like walnuts. BUT thats pretty much all Disney has in their salads. Blue cheese i'm still iffy about but I love walnuts now. Go figure. This was a good salad. Made me feel healthy

so...i'm pretty sure they just made this for me because I didn't want a flatbread. its pasta with vodka sauce (my favorite)
IMG_3936.jpg

It was good. it was amazing but it was good. I'm pretty sure I was running out of knowing what to order...we don't go to restaurants every day at home so by the 10th day....it really is...."I have no idea what I want to eat"

DH got Grilled Chicken Flatbread - Made with sun-dried tomato pesto, Pancetta, Asiago cheese, and fresh chives.
IMG_3937.jpg

its hard to find a pizza that DH doesn't like...so he loved. Now looking back the flatbread does look great.

so for dessert....I pretty much was ready to say no dessert again. but DH doesn't like to waste food sooo...I got some
We both got the same thing Crema Limone - Made with no sugar added lemon custard topped with fresh whipped cream and berries.
IMG_3938.jpg

Okay....so Lemon is one of my favorite flavors....and its hard to find a lemon flavored anything I don't like. I hated this. I donno....maybe i'm just not a custard person? to me it was terrible....and looking back there was so much else I could have gotten that I would have liked better. DH on the other hand loved it. SO I guess you'll have to decide for yourself! Our waitress did put candles in it for our honeymoon..which was sweet too bad I didn't like it! haha

We enjoyed Mama Melrose. We were a little cautious because I hadn't researched it...it was just a random choice when we had no where to eat. but we were happily surprised. I think we might use it for a Fantasmic package on our next trip. I think its a good place to go if your in HS but I wouldn't go to HS just for it. As far as Italians at Disney...I have a soft spot for Tony's even though everyone seems to hate it soo.....yeah it was good though! (sorry for my babble)

Our dinner meal will be up later today I promise! (its a good one though so worth the wait!)

Continued

So...this dinner we had been looking forward to the most. We planned it for our last dinner to go out on an awesome note. California Grill!

We arrived at the desk pretty much on time. We asked if we could be seated by the window....but we were told no...they we already spoken for. Which made me wonder what you have to do to get a seat for the fireworks? Is it because people go to the hotel earlier in the day and request it? :confused3

Anyway. We were taken on the elevator up (this really makes you feel special!) and taken to our table. We were close to the window and I could see the castle (for now...) but DH couldn't.
IMG_3963.jpg

my view
Our table was covered in happy confetti! Which always makes me so happy.
IMG_3961.jpg

Our waiter came by, and was really such a nice man. He seemed to really love his job and was very knowledgeable. He mentioned by dietary request and said they would have no problem coming up with pretty much anything. He said the chef's love a challenge so they enjoy when dietary requests come.

of course we started off with bread
IMG_3969.jpg

We also decide to get some beer. I dont remember which DH got (probably like stella) but I know I got blue moon.
IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

So I have an obsession with sushi. Obviously I can't eat a lot of sushi...but a good vegetarian one just makes my day. So I had heard that CG had awesome sushi so I wanted to try.

So I asked for an all Avocado roll.
IMG_3973.jpg

I was shocked by how much I got for an app! Normally I order 2 at home and save one for the next day. It was super good though! I was very impressed. (wouldn't mind one right now...)

DH got Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli - Served with sun-dried tomatoes, pesto, Shiitake mushrooms, and basil
IMG_3974.jpg

again a shocker for me. DH loves mushrooms but I would have expected something meaty. He really enjoyed it though. I think it was good for him to try different things then he'd normally order

For main DH got Oak-fired Filet of Beef - with "Loaded" Mashed Potatoes, Broccolini, and Teriyaki Barbecue Sauce
IMG_3977.jpg

So this is a normal DH meal. So I expected this. He had been talking about wanting this since we first picked CG. He of course loved it....and did everything but lick the plate. :rotfl:

I decided to go for the chef's tasting plate that I have seen them do for other vegetarians. SO because its not a menu item I am not positive of what each thing is.
IMG_3975.jpg

okay starting at the top left clockwise...these were actually from the menu Sweet potato -Ricotta Tortelloni - With morels, delta asparagus, brown butter raisin vinaigrette, almond milk They were fantastic!!! so so good.I think the next one was Gnocchi which I think is the same you can get with a chicken dish. It was good. they were sauteed in some kind of sauce...kind of nutty. Next was a flatbread pizza...which was okay? it was a little dry...it was more like salad pizza with no dressing. Then next was a nutty salad that was again okay. The food was good...but I would have been just as happy with just the sushi. It was a lot of food and I barely had room to eat much. plus the fireworks started right after we got our food...so it kind of got cold.

So we went outside to watch the fireworks. It was so nice seeing them there. a good change from seeing them in the parks.
IMG_3992.jpg

For dessert I got Mascarpone and Meyer Lemon Cheesecake - Whipped cheesecake and meyer lemon Panna Cotta wth huckleberry jam
IMG_4010.jpg

:eek: amazing. as I said earlier Lemon is my favorite...and cheese cake is my favorite dessert so it would have been hard to go wrong with them. YUM

DH got Bananas and Caramel - Crispy baked Phyllo squares layered with banana, caramel, mascarpone mousse and caramelizd banana
IMG_4011.jpg

soo...DH likes anything banana flavored...so this was pretty much heaven for him.

The desserts def were a huge highlight. so...i wouldn't over do dinner just so you can have dessert!

our server also gave us champagne!
IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

One side note....when we were there, there was a large group near us who was order tons of apps and wine....well...they bailed during the fireworks! I felt so bad for our waiter he was so upset! people suck...I can't believe someone would do that in disney at CG...:confused:

I think this was a perfect meal for our last dinner! It was very romantic and our server was so nice. We would def go back! (maybe just for sushi and dessert for me) If you have never gone. you should. its a great experience and its so nice to see the fireworks there as well!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter