A vegetarian family dining review

prudence64

DIS Veteran
Hi. Just back from 7 nights at Disney, on the dining plan. Me, my husband, and my 9 year old daughter - all vegetarian. On the regular dining plan.

Day 1 - Stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort and had quick service dinner there. We weren't particularly impressed. I got the veggie plate that was mostly rice and black beans. Tasted good, but not good for my stomach. My husband and daughter got the cheese pizza and they both said it wasn't good pizza. We much preferred the cafeteria at Riverside which included create your own pasta and create your own salad. They had boxed salads, but all had chicken in them. Wasn't in the mood for a veggie burger. This cafeteria just didn't do it for us. - Grade C -

Day 2 - Breakfast at the CBR cafeteria again. Breakfast was much better. The spinach and feta omelet was good. No problem substituting more potato and eggs for the meat. - Grade B

Lunch at Spice Road Table - this was very good. Husband and I each order the veggie platter which was baba ghanoush, grape leaves, hummus fries (reminded me of falafel). The baba ghanoush was among the best I've had. Everything was delicious. There was nothing on the kids' menu for a vegetarian, but they substituted the hummus fries for the meat and my daughter loved her meal too. She shared my dessert with me after since the kids' dessert was just ice cream. I highly recommend the chocolate pyramid for dessert. - Grade A

Day 3 - Lunch at Studio Catering Company at Hollywood Studios. I found this to be our best option for quick service at Hollywood Studios. I got the veggie wrap and my husband got the Greek salad. Both were fine options for quick service. Nothing to write home about, but certainly fine. My daughter got the power pack. She wasn't happy with it, and we often struggled to find things for her on the kids menus. We again shared our dessert with her since the kids meal dessert are lame in comparison. I recommend the Darth Vader cupcakes here - grade B

Dinner at Boma - We were a little disappointed in this compared to past visits. We chose a
Monday because I read on here that Mondays and Thursday included the peanut rice, but alas, it was the coconut rice instead. We didn't like the soup either. The macaroni and cheese on the kids buffet was tasteless, but was happy my daughter could get some salad with her meal as well and share the same desserts. Still it was overall a good meal and we certainly didn't leave hungry. Will probably skip it next time though and do Sanaa instead. - grade B

Day 4 - Breakfast at resort again.

Snack - have to mention the nutella and fruit waffle at Sleepy hollow at MK. This was really good.

Dinner at Plaza restaurant in MK. This took a frustratingly long time to be seated, but was quite good. We had the vegetarian sandwiches and they were excellent. I'm going to make the same combo of ingedients on a sandwich here at home for us. Were with another family this day with picky eaters so picked a place with more traditional food. My daughter had a grilled cheese which was fine. Again, we shared our dessert with the kids since theirs was lame. - Grade B+

Day 5 - Breakfast at Tusker house. This was a very good breakfast. Only thing slightly disappointing that there wasn't a strong African influence. But, it was a very good breakfast. There was a potato and leek fritatta that we enjoyed. Everyone got plenty. Character interaction was good. Next time might substitute this for Boma for dinner - Grade A-

Lunch at Rainforest Cafe. Only item on the menu was the veggie burger, so that's what we got. It was a little different, but good. Daughter got mac and cheese and she gave it a thumbs up. Was starting to get a little frustrating that she pretty much had to get mac and cheese every day. The highlight of this meal was the volcano dessert at the end - again had to share it with the kids and their choices stunk. - Grade B-

Day 6 - Breakfast at resort. Dinner at 1900 Park Fare. The characters were fun. The meal was good, but not great for vegetarians. I would only recommend this one for vegetarians if you like butternut squash ravioli. I do, but my husband doesn't, so I liked this meal better than he did. There were 3 different salads and veggies were tasty. The mac and cheese on the kids buffet was the best of the week. I would say, this one is ok but you might not feel like you get your money's worth if you are not a meat eater - Grade B

Day 7 - Breakfast at resort. Lunch at Chef De France. More Mac and Cheese, but this was fancy kind and very good. The vegetarian lasagna was also very good - much more veggie focues and less heavy than the traditional Italian version. Nothing on the kids menu for vegetarians, so she just shared with us and enjoyed it. We would go back - Grade A-

Dinner at Sci Fi - My daughter was sick of Mac and cheese by this time so we asked for a grilled cheese and they were happy to do that. my husband and I split the vegetarian shepherd's pie and the salad with pears. In the future I would ask for the dressing on the side, but the pie was excellent and a nice departure from the usual. Surpringly good. - grade B+

Overall - we had a good experience, but the kids meals for vegetarians need work. My suggestion is to go to lots of buffets so that your child can choose the traditional kids fare off the kids buffet but also have the fruit, salads, etc.. from the adult side.
Would love to see some Disney healthy check meals that are vegetarian in the future.

great review - not a vegetarian but often choose vegi food. There seems to be a pitiful choice for kids from your review :(

Agree on the kids veg choices! My dd was so sick of mac and cheese and pizza. We were really happy at the signature restaurants because they all offered to make her stuff off menu, which was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter