A spooky Halloween 2021 DLR solo trip! Lots of treats, and a few tricks...(updated 12/1)


Nov 29, 2017
Table of Contents

Hi everyone, I'm Hanna and welcome to my second Disneyland trip report, featuring my first time going completely solo in Disneyland! You can find my past TRs in my signature. I did my first solo trip to WDW in early 2020 and had a blast, so naturally Disneyland was my next adventure.

I love travelling to both WDW and DLR! I cannot pick a favorite, I think both parks are so special. I’m a big foodie and thrill ride enthusiast, and while I prefer going to the parks with friends/family, I always find myself with extra PTO and going solo > not going at all! ::yes::

This was from my solo trip to WDW right before the pandemic, I really miss character M&Gs!

This was my first “real” vacation since the pandemic began, and I never really got the same excitement for it as I have with past trips given all of the uncertainty and risk there is with travel right now. This was actually a fairly impulsive decision as I booked my flight in June shortly after Sun Country added a direct route from Minneapolis to SNA. I paid $197 including a checked bag, which is a total steal of a deal in my opinion! I know budget airlines can be risky since there is only one flight per day, but I took the risk since we very rarely get bad weather here in MN in October (apart from the Halloween blizzard of ‘91 that I always hear about :laughing:). After my last trip to Disneyland, I swore I would never fly into LAX ever again, so I really could not pass up this super cheap, direct flight into SNA!

My travel dates were 10/28-10/31 (Thursday-Sunday) and I made use of a 4-day park hopper ($395). Apparently California does not have sales tax on their park tickets, I wish Florida was like that! I will try and include prices everywhere and maybe a summary at the end to give folks an idea of what a long weekend for one can cost. Although I'm not sure I want to know that answer myself :rotfl:

Sneak peak of my favorite drink, anyone recognize this one?

Flash forward from June to October, in the weeks leading up to my trip I found myself feeling a bit lukewarm towards the trip. I think I’ve become a bit of a homebody this past year, anyone else? Lots of things had me feeling apprehensive: wearing a mask for a 3+ hour flight, big crowds, lack of MaxPass, and of course the amount of money I’d be spending on a hotel since I was not splitting the cost with anyone…:hyper:

But enough negativity! Like it or not, I was going to Disneyland! Stay tuned to find out whether or not it was worth it! (Spoiler...it was :thumbsup2)


Nov 29, 2017
Day One - Part One: A Whole Row to Myself! (Travel)

My flight was on Thursday at 3:20PM, which meant I could squeeze in a half day of working from home. I am a total overpacker, so I packed the night before to make sure I was ready to head out the door.

I’m fairly close to the airport and have TSA pre-check, but I still like to leave an extra hour or so of buffer time in case anything happens. I was also parking at the airport for the first time since it was a short trip and my flight home was landing after 11PM on Halloween, and I wanted to drive myself instead of taking an Uber that late. Let's just say, this may or may not have gone according to plan later in the TR...

I left around 12:40, and good thing I gave myself extra time, because as soon as I started driving the low tire pressure symbol came on! I am terrible with cars and have only ever filled up at my local Kwik Trip, but I knew there was a Speedway on my drive to the airport so I decided to take my chances there.

To my luck, they had free air, and after waiting for a VERY slow man to fill his tires, I was back on the road! Crisis averted! :thumbsup2

I made it to the airport parking garage at 1:25 and made sure to take a picture of where I parked. Of course I have never forgotten what floor I parked on, why would you ask? :hyper:

Security was a total breeze as I was at the smaller of our two airport terminals. I was through by 1:40, with plenty of time to grab some lunch.

I decided on Subway, I think it had been about 3 years since I had eaten there last. The line took about 20 minutes, I figured the long wait would be good practice for my trip!

My 6” All American sub and jalapeno chips were $13, wow I miss the days of $5 footlongs!

I usually avoid Subway, I blame the fact that I ate there every week as a picky kid. Maybe time really does make the heart grow fonder, or I was just starving, because this sandwich was the best thing I’d eaten in a while.

I lucked out and got a nice private booth to sit in with an outlet, a rarity in today’s times!

My flight ended up being really empty, I heard the flight attendant say there were fewer than 100 of us. It was a pretty small plane too, at least compared to the huge planes I am usually on when I fly with Delta.

There were so many empty rows that the flight attendants were actually moving people before we even took off. Also, boarding moves SO quickly when there are no free carry ons! No crowding at the gate either since no one was worried about luggage space, I am starting to rethink my loyalty to Delta…

I ended up with a row to myself, amazing! :woohoo: So much more leg room and no one breathing next to me. I’m not sure if it was the route or the airline, I flew to Chicago a few times this summer via Delta and United and my flights were always completely packed!

The plane took off at exactly 3:20 as planned, my trip was off to a great start!

I ended up rewatching Dune on my iPad, I haven’t read the book and I’m not sure if I will, but I really enjoyed the movie. I think I liked it better the second time as I was able to follow the story a lot better.

The movie was long, and so by the time I was done, it was almost time to land. Does anyone else love watching the flight tracker?

The sky was so clear that day, I could see the ground pretty much the entire flight. I forgot how much elevation variation the West has (and how brown it is, LOL), I am so used to Minnesota where we just have hills!

I tried some new masks for this trip, I typically wear the blue disposables but I wanted something a bit more protective while still comfortable since I would be wearing them day. I ordered some Korean KF94 masks and really liked them, they don’t touch your mouth which is a huge plus.

I tried the brands "Blue" and "BOTN" and preferred the Blue brand. The ear loops are adjustable on the BOTN masks but I kept pulling them out on accident!

I didn’t have any trouble wearing the mask for the entire flight, something that I was nervous about. I had my big noise cancelling headphones which are a lifesaver, but the smaller plane was actually really quiet. Overall the flight experience was really pleasant!

We landed 4:34 local time, I love basically going back in time! The flight was a little over three hours, a perk of living in the middle of the US.

SNA is nice and small, a night and day difference compared to LAX. My bag was on the carousel almost immediately, and I headed up the escalator and across the street to the ride share pickup.

There was no one else there! So quiet! They have an airport employee at a little stand so it feels very safe. If you have been to the Universal Orlando rideshare pickup, it is just like that, a dedicated area on top of a parking garage.

I checked Uber and Lyft and surprisingly, Uber was quite a bit cheaper. Eek, my estimated arrival time was about 45 minutes, during non-rush hour it is usually 15 minutes!

My driver texted me right away that he was on his way. I remember seeing on the boards that people were nervous about pickups since there are less drivers now, but I had no trouble getting a driver.

I waited a little less than 15 minutes and was picked up at 5:10. It is so nice being picked up in a dedicated area instead of trying to find your driver amongst hundreds of others at LAX! A few other people arrived at the ride share pick up area while I was waiting, but it still was not busy at all.

My driver and I talked pretty much the entire drive, I don’t mind making small talk with friendly drivers as it makes the long drive less awkward. We talked about so many random things, including where to get the best pho, how he drove a woman from LA to Phoenix the day before (he regretted it), and soon enough I was dropped off at the Best Western Park Place Inn at about 6:05. I think my ride was maybe $24, which I thought was a fantastic price for almost an hour-long ride.

DCA was closed for OBB, but Disneyland was open until 10! I bought a 4-day PH ticket hoping that my flight would land on time and I could sneak in a few hours, I think the 4th day was only $30 extra.

Check-in was fairly quick, I had requested a quiet room and let’s just say I got my wish...I had a room at the very back of the hotel! Oh well, hopefully that would mean no noisy people walking by my door at all hours!

Here is a picture of my room, just a regular two bed room and not one of the suites which I think have a pull out sofa. I stayed at this hotel in July 2019 and really liked it. I think it has gone a little downhill but I would stay there again due to the proximity, you can't beat it. Let me know if you have any questions about this hotel!

There is a nice sized table that I used to put all my park gear on.

Here is the bathroom, a nice big counter and shower/tub combo.

The shower head is super low (and I'm not very tall) and the bathroom door is really close to the toilet, but the fan switch is separate from the lights which is nice.

There were two luggage racks which was nice even though I only needed one.

The room was fairly clean but everything was just a bit worn out and I tried to avoid looking closely at anything.

I unpacked a bit and changed into some warmer weather clothes, it was really hot that day and the evening was still around 70 degrees. This was my first time wearing my new sakura pink ears that I ordered from Shanghai Disneyland! They are very comfy and not as tight as some of the ear headbands, it is a hit or miss sometimes.

Before I left my room, I decided to mobile order some food as I was so hungry, it was almost 9PM Minnesota time! Of course I had to get Bengal BBQ! I refreshed a few times and was able to get an immediate window so I ordered my food and then headed out of my room around 6:45.

Thanks for reading! Continued in Part Two: A Quick Evening in Disneyland
Last edited:


Aug 23, 2019
Following! :-)

Looks like a great travel day. We had a empty(ish) plane on our flight out to DLR in Sept and it was wonderful. And I love flying into SNA. It'd have to be a LOT cheaper for me to fly into LAX.


Nov 29, 2017
Following! :-)

Looks like a great travel day. We had a empty(ish) plane on our flight out to DLR in Sept and it was wonderful. And I love flying into SNA. It'd have to be a LOT cheaper for me to fly into LAX.
It's so nice not being totally packed in for once! My Ubers were so cheap from SNA, I think I'd have to be saving like $200 to convince me to fly into LAX again :rotfl:


Nov 29, 2017
Day One - Part Two: A Quick Evening in Disneyland

It was shortly after sunset and the lights were not on yet outside my hotel, so it was such a long, dark walk to the front of the hotel! Pretty sure the walk from my room to the front of the hotel was as long as the walk from the hotel to the parks!

The best part about the BWPPI is that it is literally across the street from the Harbor entrance. It’s about a 5 minute walk from that intersection to security!

I had to snap a few pictures of the park entrances before going in. The DCA entrance is a bit lackluster during the day, but it looks incredible at night. Oogie Boogie even talks!

The Disneyland entrance featured character pumpkins, so cute!

I was through security and into Disneyland before 7:00! No photopass CMs by the front with the train station in the background, unlike my trip in summer 2019 where photopass CMs were literally everywhere.

Lots of garlands on the lamp posts.

All I could think about was food, so I headed straight to Bengal BBQ to pick up my mobile order. I definitely had tunnel vision and didn’t spare a single glance for the decorations, there would be time for that later! :teeth:

Adventureland is always so cool at night, I think it is one of my favorite parts of Disneyland.

I clicked the I’m here, prepare my food button as I was approaching Bengal BBQ. It was ready almost immediately!

I got the spicy banyan beef as well as a veggie skewer for around $13. If the veggie skewers were a bit cheaper I would get more than one, they are just that good! I think they used to have a potato, which would make them more filling, but they’re still really good. The veggie skewer has bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and eggplant. They have perfected the amount of grilling time and every single time I get this skewer it is perfectly crisp. Definitely one of the healthiest Disney park food items! :thumbsup2

The banyan beef skewer is pretty spicy, I have a really high spice tolerance so I can barely tell :rotfl:, but I used to have to have a drink to eat this one! The beef size keeps shrinking, but it’s still worth it to me. The beef is a little chewy but not tough at all, I’d avoid this one if you can’t handle spice though!

It can be hard to find a spot to eat near Bengal BBQ so I recommend having one person scout out a table while you pick up your food if possible.

I felt much better after my little snack and decided to get in a few rides! I like to eat lots of smaller meals so I don’t need any recovery time after meals. :hyper:

Since I was by Indiana Jones, I decided to check out the line. This was one of my favorite rides during my last trip, I like it so much better than Dinosaur in WDW! It was posted at 50 minutes and I asked one of the CMs if there was any single rider. The CM said there wasn’t, but he encouraged me to get in the regular line, saying there was basically no line!

I got into line at 7:18, and did not catch up to the actual line until the video room, which definitely meant the line was going to be short.

I made it onto the ride at 7:32 for an overall 14 minute wait, woohoo! I love this ride so much, the theming in the queue is awesome. I haven’t seen any Indiana Jones movies though, oops!

It was a little stuffy that night and the AC felt so good in the queue and on the ride. When I got off, the wait time had dropped to 25.

I continued on wandering through the park, passing by Haunted Mansion. Wow, the holiday overlay outside is so beautiful! :scared1:

The line looked so long even though it was only posted at 45. I decided I’d skip and try and ride on one of my rope drop mornings.

I entered the Winnie the Pooh line at 7:46 since it was only posted at 5 minutes.

I have mixed feelings about the Disneyland version, I like that it’s not in Fantasyland so the line is usually really short compared to in WDW, but I always miss the bouncing with Tigger scene! I was on by 7:53, so only a 6 minute wait.

The bees buzzing when you get off the ride is so cute!

Since I was nearby and it was a warm evening, I decided to ride Splash at 8:00.

The line was posted at 25, and I waited almost that long, getting on at 8:22. This line always feels so long to me, especially since it’s not air conditioned. :worship:

I always forget the differences between the Disneyland and WDW versions but I definitely enjoy both of them! I think my favorite part is the little hill section where there’s no water.

The Splash music always gets in my head, I will definitely miss it when it gets re-themed.

I was behind a really funny family, they were screaming every time they got wet! Of course, I always put my hands up for the drop picture and then immediately duck down and cover my face. :smooth:

They had the water level up pretty high because I got pretty wet even sitting in the back! The nice part about going solo is you basically always get the back, which is definitely the driest spot! My feet got soaked from the water in the log, thankfully I had sandals on!

It was almost time for the 9:00 Halloween Screams, there were no fireworks since it was a weekday and I actually didn’t realize this at the time since I did basically no research for this trip, except on food! :hyper:

I had read that the best churros are from the cart by the castle, so I snuck into the line at 8:43. The hub was pretty busy at this time but it was manageable to get around, I knew the weekend would be more crowded so I wanted to see the show that night. A CM got in the back of the line at 8:45 and stopped others from getting in line, thank goodness I didn’t wait any longer!

When I was almost to the front of the line, a kid that was probably 14-15 asked very nicely if I could get him three churros, and he gave me cash. I was feeling very nice that night so I was like sure! He really appreciated it and I’m sure all of his friends did too, lucky ducks! ::yes::

I also bought a bottle of water as I forgot to bring my water bottle. $4.25 for the water and $5 for the churro, phew!

Churro secured around 8:55, I slipped into the horde of people in front of the castle. There was actually plenty of room for small groups to sneak in, it wasn’t nearly as packed as I have experienced in the past.

My churro really hit the spot, it was super fresh and both crispy and soft, this was better than I remember the churros from other carts that I had on my last trip. I wonder if they are better at that cart just because they go through them so quickly!

Halloween Screams was pretty cute, I really enjoyed the music.

The projections were also on the Matterhorn, so I kept looking back and forth between the castle and the mountain.

There were no fireworks, but they did have some flames shooting up and it was so hot, you could feel it on your face! The flying Zero was really neat, I had not seen this show in vlogs or anything as I didn’t want to be spoiled.

I decided that seeing it once was enough, and I would skip it on the other nights. I liked that the show was only 12 minutes, it’s hard to stand still for so long for the longer shows!

This probably wasn’t the smartest move, but I decided to rush to Tomorrowland to try and make it onto Space Mountain. I got into line at 9:18 and it was posted at 40, the downside is that you can’t see the line length until you’re already in it, I probably should have bailed. :confused3

I made it onto the ride about 9:51, so I only waited 33 minutes, but it felt like forever and this queue is really boring. The ride was as thrilling as ever, I do think the WDW version has a better track but the nice part about riding at night is your eyes are used to the dark and I think it’s better that way. My head hurt a little after, not sure if that means I am getting old or just tired :laughing:, I suppose it was almost midnight at home! My mask kept slipping during the ride, so hold on to your mask!

The park wasn’t closing for a few more minutes, so I booked it over to Buzz. I made it in line at 9:56 and it was posted at 5, but it was a literal walk on!

Somehow I didn’t even score 100,000, I looked up the good targets at one point but clearly I did not remember any of them!

This honestly could be my record low score, yikes!

I am always so focused during this ride, even in this grainy picture!

My battery was down from 100% to 50% in only 3 hours, I am definitely on my phone a lot when solo! I bought a new 20,000mAh battery which charges my phone multiple times. I definitely recommend getting an external battery for Disney trips!

I love walking through Main Street as you leave the park.

The line for the giant Pumpkin was so long, this was pretty much the only place I saw photopass CMs other than the ones in front of the castle.

Since there was no MaxPass/Genie+ I was not planning to purchase PhotoPass, so I didn’t bother with getting any pictures in Disneyland.

Lots of orange banners at the train station!

Still a little hungry but not wanting to deal with crowds, I decided to check out Salt and Straw in Downtown Disney for some ice cream.

There was a short line, but I was in and out in under 10 minutes.

I got the vegan “Freckled Mint TCHO-colate Chip” since I love mint chip ice cream. It was a coconut cream base, which is perfect for ice cream since it’s so creamy. It tasted like normal ice cream, I would never have guessed this was vegan as the mint covers up the faint coconut taste. The chocolate was more like shavings instead of chunks, but I am not a huge chocolate person so this was fine with me. It was around $7 for a single scoop.

The portion was pretty small for the price, but it was perfect for a small bedtime snack. I always have treats before bed on vacation! Boo to You was playing on the speakers and it really made me miss parades.

I made a quick detour into World of Disney on my way out of Downtown Disney.

It was decorated with garlands and they were playing Christmas music, wasn’t it a bit early for that? :scratchin

It seemed really small compared to the one in Disney Springs, I honestly have so much Disney clothing and ears that I barely looked around. I was definitely starting to get worn out!

On my way back to my hotel, I saw a lot of people leaving the Oogie Boogie Bash in costumes. You could spend a lot of time just watching people go by!

Even the benches are Disney themed!

Overall I had a really solid first night and got quite a bit done in my three hours of park time. I do think I prefer daytime in the parks when solo. I was really looking forward to DCA the next day as it was pretty crowded with families in Disneyland, and I’ve always found DCA to be more relaxing and less crowded. It was definitely very busy despite being a Thursday night, and there is really no social distancing.

Here is the view from the Disneyland entrance on Harbor, that is my hotel on the left just across the street!

The lights were on at my hotel now, so the walk was much less creepy!

See how long the hallway looks? At the end that is the gate to the pool, and then there’s another hallway just as long! They took my quiet room request very seriously! :rotfl:

I made it back to my room at 11:00, very ready to crash into bed. The fan was so noisy, I turned it from low to high and that seemed to at least make the noise more consistent. I sleep with a white noise machine at home and I brought my old spare one on the trip, but it kept turning off and one so I ended up just tossing it out. I was so tired that I figured I’d survive without!

I organized a bit and made sure my park bag was ready for the next day, and hopped in the shower even though I just wanted to crawl into bed. The shower head was so short, I am not very tall and it was barely high enough for me! I can’t imagine what you’d do if you were 6’ tall!

Finally, I headed to bed around 11:30. I set my alarm to 6:25 to get some hotel breakfast and try and get my Web Slingers virtual queue at 7:00, aiming to leave the hotel at 7:15 for DCA rope drop. That's earlier than I get up

Overall 18,600 steps for my 3 hour park day!

Thanks for reading! Next up is my only DCA rope drop morning!

Day Two - Part One: DCA Rope Drop
Last edited:


Nov 29, 2017
Day Two - Part One: DCA Rope Drop

I slept pretty well all things considered, but the fan was really noisy and the bed was so lumpy, the things I put up with for a short walk at the end of the night!

Despite not being a morning person, I woke up before my alarm and was out of bed a little before 6:30. Usually I roll out of bed and onto my computer for work at 8, ha! :surfweb:

Featuring my Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout hat!

I headed to the free hotel breakfast upstairs in the building next to the hotel around 6:50, they do ask your room number. It was pretty quiet, only a few other families were there and it’s a really large space.

Sadly, the build your own breakfast sandwiches are a thing of the past. The hot options were served to you and included eggo pancakes, fried potatoes, sausage patties (I think it was ham on some mornings), and scrambled eggs. Lots of packaged pastries to grab like muffins, some yogurt, instant oatmeal, cereal, applesauce, etc. No toast though! The typical hotel coffee pots and juice machine were available for self-service. You could take your food back to your room, which is a nice option.

Pretty mediocre but still no complaints since it’s free and most hotels during covid just offer a water bottle and piece of fruit instead of a continental breakfast. Definitely would save a lot of money for a family. Plus, they have hot sauce packets! :woohoo:

My phone data was pretty slow, only like 10gbps, which made me nervous for getting a virtual queue. This was my only DCA reservation for my trip, so I was really hoping I’d get web slingers! The virtual queue is new to me, it’s a little different from the RotR boarding group process that was used on my prior trips to WDW.

To my luck, I had no issue with the virtual queue and secured group 50! :charac4:

I finished my breakfast quite happily, and headed out around 7:15 for rope drop.

It was a really pleasant morning, I love California weather. I was through security by 7:22, it was super fast on the left side. The security CMs are so friendly, almost all of them asked me how I was doing or what my plans were!

The lines for DCA were pretty short, especially compared to anything I’ve seen at WDW.

I peeked at dining availability and there were a few slots open, if you miss reservations I recommend checking the day or two before as people cancel.

They started scanning tickets around 7:34, after a countdown! The line maybe doubled behind me in that time, but still wasn’t that long. Of course, I picked a pretty slow line. Oh well! I still made it in by 7:42, not bad.

I headed to the Cars Land rope drop first, to try for Radiator Springs Racers. There were a lot of people there, definitely the most popular rope drop attraction.

At 7:45 a CM announced that the ride wouldn’t be opening at rope drop, of course no one could really even hear her. I was close enough to figure it out and quickly left the area to try for Guardians instead, while people were still coming to the Cars rope drop.

I must have deleted some of my notes so I'm going from memory here, but hardly anyone was rope dropping Guardians!

At 8:00, the rope “dropped” and crowd started heading towards the ride. No walking on the sidewalks!

Finally, I got my first peek of the tower!

I love this ride so much, I know people think it’s ugly but it is still one of my favorites!

What is all of this stuff in the ground supposed to be?

Spillage? Probably some hidden Mickeys in there somewhere….

There’s lots of stuff to look at in this queue, good thing too because I spent a lot of time in it this trip!

The first time I rode this a few years ago, I hadn’t seen GotG yet. I still enjoyed the ride at the time, but the queue and ride are definitely a lot better when you know the story.

Cosmo is my favorite, his tail wags!

I waited about 20 minutes from entering the queue to being seated on the ride. I got Hit Me With Your Best Shot, love that version! Pretty sure a kid cried afterwards, and it’s not even scary like ToT! :hyper:

Since I was so close, I decided to pass through Avengers Campus on my way to ride Toy Story Mania.

I was so excited to see all of the Marvel stuff, I kept my expectations pretty low since I’ve heard mixed reviews.

I love the transition from Guardians to the rest of the campus, I feel like Guardians is so much less out of place now.

Captain Marvel was out at the Avengers Headquarters. I wish it wasn’t quite so high up, it’s hard to see up there!

The Ancient Sanctum is amazing, I was glad I checked it out and took a picture before it got crowded, there were always people in it later in the day.

Lots of details to look at up close.

I didn’t realize at the time, but this is where the Dr. Strange show is held. Duh!

Not wanting to lose any more time, I kept going, as I’d check out more of the campus later in the day.

I took the detour through Cars Land to check on RSR.

RSR was still not open at 8:30 according to the app but I noticed the CMs were letting people into the queue. There was a bit of a line up at the entrance, so I wondered if that was the group that decided to wait it out and they were just being let in!

As I went through the queue, I heard ride vehicles going, a good sign! There were maybe 50 people ahead of me, I must have really lucked out on the timing. People were in cars and on the ride even though the app still said it wasn’t open yet! The wait flipped to 0 minutes at 8:32, and I was on the ride by 8:39. Shortest wait ever!

Don’t forget to hold your hat on this one! It was such a beautiful, sunny morning. I love the outdoor portions of this ride so much, the theming is just fantastic. I didn’t get my ride photo for this one, oh well!

The wait jumped to 95 minutes at 8:50 when I was off the ride. Everyone must have rushed to it once they saw it was open!

Onward to Pixar Pier for TSM.

The pier area looks really sad without the water. I was eating at Lamplight Lounge for an early dinner, guess I didn’t need to cross my fingers for a waterside view!

I like the Pixar retheme, but I don’t remember the old theming very well.

Time for Toy Story Mania, I got in line at 8:59 and the line looked pretty long for supposedly being 20 minutes. I was on at 9:17, so pretty accurate! Definitely feels like a long time when you’re alone.

Somehow I still did pretty bad, I never get any better at this ride!

My arm always hurts so much after, I couldn't do it twice in a row even if the line was short. :laughing:

I skipped Incredicoaster at 20 minutes since it looked it my Web boarding group would be up soon, and I wanted to get on as early as possible since I heard the line gets pretty long as the day goes on.

I passed by the cute Cars Land sign at 9:34 and decided to get in line since it wasn’t too long, maybe 6 or 7 families.

My Web group was called at 9:38, woohoo!

I finished getting my photo at 9:48, the photopass CM was really nice and made me do a lot of posing haha!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Continued in Part Two: Web Slingers and Lunch at Pym's
Last edited:
  • FeistyDisneyMom

    Jan 17, 2019
    Great report so far! Love the pictures. That hallway looks soooooo long - glad the lights were on for your walk home or it would be a bit creepy!

    Can't wait to see how Web Slingers and Pym's went for you :)


    Nov 29, 2017
    Great report so far! Love the pictures. That hallway looks soooooo long - glad the lights were on for your walk home or it would be a bit creepy!

    Can't wait to see how Web Slingers and Pym's went for you :)
    Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I think I had to use my phone flashlight when I went out after sunset, I was worried about being hit by a car when I had to detour around the pool into the parking lot 😂

    I plan to post some more tonight! Mmm Pym’s was so good, wish I could go back there right now!


    Nov 29, 2017
    Day Two - Part Two: Web Slingers and Lunch at Pym’s

    I checked into the Web Slingers queue at 9:52, it was definitely starting to get hot and the queue is pretty much all outside!

    There were a lot of people in line, I was expecting at least a half an hour wait from what I had been reading online.

    There are a lot of signs around the queue to read, I took some quick pictures because the line moves at a fairly constant (but slow) pace so you’d never really have time to stand in front of them and read anything.

    There were fans in some spots which felt really nice!

    I was so glad that I was in line at 10am before the worst heat of the day, I think it was maybe 80 degrees so I can’t imagine what it feels like on hotter days!

    While I was in line, I decided to submit a mobile order for lunch. I had done some reading up on Pym Test Kitchen, and went with the PB3 Superb Sandwich for $14. I also ordered a Regulator drink from Pym Tasting Lab for $17. Shelling out the big bucks today! :laughing: Since my dinner reservation at Lamplight was for 4:25, I wanted an early lunch! Is 10am too early to be thinking about lunch? Not at Disney!

    The queue is just okay for Web Slingers, not sure how much you can do with a brick wall. I’m sure there are a lot of easter eggs that I just was not aware of! I always miss those things until someone points them out, I am the least observant person ever!

    I made it inside the ride building to watch the pre-show video at 10:15. It wasn’t even 25 minutes outside but it definitely felt like forever since the queue isn’t that big and you just wind around a lot.

    The inside was much more fun to look at, I think I was just happy to have AC!

    There’s a ton of stuff around the video room to look at while you wait for the room to fill up.

    Again, probably lots of easter eggs that I did not catch!

    The pre-show video was cute, I love when they get the actual actors to film the ride videos. We don't talk about Hermione on the Hogwarts Express at Universal Orlando...

    Also, did anyone else get Spiderman NWH tickets? All the big screens sold out so fast, wow! I will not be seeing it until Friday so I will have to avoid the internet that Thursday, I have already seen more spoilers than I wanted to!

    There is a neat whiteboard prop in the video room, I got my bachelor’s degree in math and I still couldn’t tell you if anything on there is real!

    There’s a bit more queue after the pre-show, including the locker area.

    Finally, the ride vehicles were in sight!

    More fun signage on the wall.

    The ride vehicles look so cool, I love that they are tall and wrap around and behind you, it helps with the immersion.

    I made it onto the ride at 10:29, so a total wait of 37 minutes. Not too bad!

    Being a single rider isn’t a big deal to me, as I have been doing it since I was a kid (only child, motion sickness prone parent). I do prefer how you get to ride alone on Buzz and TSM, whereas I was with a family of 3 on this one since I believe it sits four, don't quote me on that.

    I really enjoyed the no-contact shooting style, so much more sanitary! I think I was really just air punching, lol! It was pretty easy to see where you were shooting as well, at least compared to Buzz. I didn’t really know where to aim and so I was kind of just waving my arms and hoping I was doing it right.

    Overall I scored 189k, probably terrible, but I did beat the mom and her two little kids in my ride vehicle!

    I didn’t think there was that much motion, though my memory is a bit hazy. My arms hurt after just like with TSM, I really need to hit the gym more often! :rolleyes1

    I had just enough time to catch the 10:40 Spider-Man show in Avenger’s Campus. There were quite a few people waiting, but it’s easy enough to slide into a spot if you’re not a huge group.

    The show started a few minutes late, there were a lot of little stunts like somersaults on the crates, and a couple of flips off of them as well.

    Nothing too crazy but I'm sure the kiddos will be really impressed. Of course, we were all waiting to see Spider-Man fly through the sky! I hope this GIF works, it was hard for me to figure out how to post a video!

    Wow, the videos do not do this justice compared to seeing it with your own eyes! The animatronic is so smooth and realistic. I’m sure many people think this is real! This is definitely a must see!

    Spider-Man then heads back to the ground, upside-down, for some meet and greet action. He’s always so popular so I didn’t linger around, especially since you still need to be distanced for the meet and greets.

    I headed to Pym Test Kitchen for my early lunch, my mobile order was ready pretty much immediately after clicking I’m here. It took a few minutes to pick up the drink at Pym Tasting Lab, there is a bit of a line even for mobile pick up and they don’t make your drink until you get assigned to a bartender. Check out the giant can!

    The Avengers Assemble show was at 11:15, so I sat on a retaining wall by Guardians to eat part of my lunch before the show. There is not very much seating around Pym’s, there is a big seating area by the Hyperion Theater I believe, but I didn’t want to stray too far from the upcoming show.

    This meal looked so fun, of course I had to take a picture before digging in.

    This is the PB3 Superb Sandwich (warm PB&J with Banana and Candied Bacon on Pym Particle Bread, served with Micro Banana Smoothie and crispy Potato Bites). About $14.

    First I tried the tiny banana smoothie, it’s just a few sips but it was delicious. It tastes exactly like you’d expect, I do not like artificial banana flavoring at all, and this tasted like fresh banana to me. Creamy and smooth, yum! I wish they’d make it just a little bigger, maybe a dixie size cup at least!

    I wasn’t sure what to expect with the sandwich, the Pym bread is blue and looks a bit dry, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was crunchy from being toasted and holds up really well, which is a good thing given the soft and sticky fillings.

    I believe there is peanut butter, jam, banana, and candied bacon inside. I’m pretty neutral on PB&J but I do love a PB & banana, and who doesn’t love candied bacon! The toasted bread is good because it gives the sandwich some texture. The candied bacon is definitely the star, super thick and plentiful. I’m sure it will have only one piece in a year from now, knowing Disney! :rotfl:

    The peanut butter was pretty thin with a good helping of jam, which is perfect for me. The ratio of banana was also really well balanced, overall I was so surprised that I liked this so much. I was expecting it to be like a 3 star sandwich but honestly I think it deserves 4 or 5 stars!

    Onto the tots.

    Another surprise hit for me, I prefer shoestring fries to tots but these had some seasoning, almost like sour cream and onion. They were also so crispy throughout, sometimes tater tots taste a little too much like raw potato for me, but these were so darn good. No ketchup needed! I could definitely get just an order of these for a snack! I thought these were way better than the tots from Woody’s Lunch Box in Hollywood Studios, the seasoning is key.

    Have I convinced you all to try this meal? I’d 100% order this again, I’m sure the quality could vary a lot depending on if you get fresh bread and tots, but mine hit it out of the ballpark. This is now one of my favorite Disney QS meals I have ever had, right up there with Satu’li Canteen in Animal Kingdom! It’s a weird combination, but it really works! If you are a fan of sweet and salty, definitely get this next time you are in Avengers Campus!

    Oops, I almost forgot to review my other new favorite, my “Regulator” drink!

    This is made of Patrón Silver Tequila and Golden Road Mango Cart Wheat Ale, with Mango and Habanero Syrups, and Mango Flavor-filled Boba. About $17, wowza! It is a good sized cup at least.

    Again, wow. I was not familiar with this beer, and to me it did not taste like beer or tequila, so it must be a very light beer (which I prefer anyways). I could not taste any habanero either, it tasted like a fruity drink but not too sweet, honestly I could not taste any alcohol. It was so refreshing, I do recommend stirring it a bit since the syrup settles to the bottom. There was a bit of tartness to balance the sweetness, I could definitely drink a few of these if the price wasn’t so steep! I am not usually a huge fan of Disney drinks but this was a winner to me.

    I didn’t feel anything after drinking this, so it’s definitely light on the ABV! I did look up the beer and picked some up from Total Wine when I got home, and the drink definitely just tastes like an enhanced version of the beer! It’s hard for me to describe the beer since I’ve never tasted anything like it, but if you like this beer you will definitely like this drink. If you don’t like regular beer, you may still like this drink! It’s almost closer to a mango seltzer with a splash of beer, the ABV is super low (like 4%) which explains why it’s so easy to drink.

    Phew, food and drink review done! I finished most of my meal and carried the rest of it with me to watch during the 11:15 Avengers Assemble show. This was just a meh show for me, it was hard to see since they are so high up. Spot the Cap!

    It was also really sunny, making it even harder to watch! Afterwards, the Black Panther was wandering around.

    That’s my main criticism, the characters are so hard to see at the headquarters. I wish they had made some parts a bit closer to the ground, you’d have to really shout if you wanted to talk with them. Still, it was really cool seeing the Avengers characters and I love how they are incorporating the new characters and costumes. I never saw Hawkeye there, but I am LOVING the show on Disney+, highly recommend!

    I think most of the Avengers do meet on the ground at times, you just need to be in the right place to catch them!

    Agh, it was getting to be so hot at this point. I decided to wander DCA a bit more and headed out of Avengers Campus for a change of scenery. Little Mermaid had a short wait, and I needed to sit and have some AC after my delicious lunch.

    I spotted Max at the Pacific Wharf and waved hello!

    I got into the Little Mermaid queue at 11:42, standby was a measly 5 minutes. I only waited 3 minutes, and that AC felt sooo good. This queue is pretty sad compared to the WDW version!

    I don’t think I’ve ever made it through this ride without it stopping a few times though. More time to enjoy the animatronics!

    As much as I love thrill rides, dark rides are definitely what make the Disney parks so special. I wish they'd make more rides like this that didn't rely on so many screens.

    Poor unfortunate souls! The newer Disney movies usually have one or two great songs, but nothing beats the classic soundtracks!

    I was off just in time to attempt to get a RotR boarding group at noon. I was able to get BG 205, with an estimated 280 minute wait which would put me at 4:40pm. Not bad! Even though park hopping is limited to 1PM, I still recommend splurging on it if you're there for more than two days.

    I wandered around a bit more and ended up at Soarin’ at 12:05, standby was 20 minutes. I made it to the inside part of the queue at 12:12. This one wins the worst queue (in both parks) as there’s really nothing to look at and it moves so slowly. As I got closer to the loading area, the CM actually called for a single rider and I waved but I was too far back and he didn’t see me. Oof, it was like a rejected high five! :bitelip:

    Of course, this meant more waiting! I’m being pretty dramatic as I was on at 12:20 and I ended up in row 3 on the side, of course. There were some people that wanted off before the ride started, so we didn’t actually get going until about 12:30. One of the guys forgot something in the bin and came back to get it before the ride started, and I guess he came back in on his own through the door he exited, which apparently is a HUGE no-no. I heard one of the CMs lecturing another CM on that, yikes! It’s a good thing they are taking those things seriously though.

    Soarin’ is such a peaceful ride, it always lifts my mood. It is a bit harder to smell the scents through a mask though! I had a lovely view of everyone’s feet of course! :laughing:

    I was definitely feeling better after some extended AC, and ventured on with no plan! It’s nice being able to be more spontaneous, but I still missed having a guaranteed short wait with MaxPass.

    I saw Snow White and Mickey for the first time, Mickey looked so dapper in his Halloween outfit!

    You could actually get a pretty close up photo with him if you wanted to, though you would need someone to take your photo as there are no photopass CMs for these distanced M&Gs.

    Next up is some park hopping and my dinner at Lamplight Lounge! Thanks for reading!


    Jan 17, 2019
    After your description, I cannot wait to try that sandwich at Pym's! I love sweet & savory! Great job on the gif of Spiderman - it looks so impressive. Little Mermaid is a long time family favorite, and you are so right - the AC really helps make it. Wish the queue was a little more like the WDW version, but it moves so quickly we don't usually mind at all.
  • Disneyhanna

    Nov 29, 2017
    After your description, I cannot wait to try that sandwich at Pym's! I love sweet & savory! Great job on the gif of Spiderman - it looks so impressive. Little Mermaid is a long time family favorite, and you are so right - the AC really helps make it. Wish the queue was a little more like the WDW version, but it moves so quickly we don't usually mind at all.
    It took me by total surprise! I only make it to the parks once or twice a year, so I try to get the more unique offerings instead of things I can just get at home. Glad the gif worked, I have had trouble with photos disappearing my TRs so I’m crossing my fingers that doesn’t happen again or I might be too lazy to reupload them :laughing: I think the music from Little Mermaid was one of my first Disney memories, I had a short solo from Part of Your World in my first grade concert, I will never forget it! :mic: The shorter wait time is worth it at DCA, same with Pooh, I’ll take less waiting over a slightly better version of the ride any day!