A Sister moment...

zeitzeuge

DIS Veteran
For those who don't know, my partner and I are part of the founders of the DFW Sisters, Mission house to the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Part of what we do is according to our mission statement, is to promulgate omniversal joy and expiate stigmatic guilt.

I'm not sure why in the hell the original SPI memebers decided to make our mission state such a tongue twister. My first few attempts at telling someone our mission were difficult. LOL

Often, being this anonymous white faced Nun in habit, causes people to open up and share with us, often getting into deep conversations, tears being shed and trying to help them along a path of acceptance, forgiveness, releasing of guilt, etc.

Below is a story I wrote and submitted to the order, talking about a recent "sister moment" I experienced with a young man at one of our local bars. Thought I would share it with you all.

It has been a year since I became a Sister and during that time, I have been fortunate enough to have experienced some wonderful “Sister Moments”. Special moments with members of our community where we were able to touch their lives in some way and in return, touching ours as well as giving some of my fellow Sisters the chance to see a Sister Moment in action.

A month or so ago while walking up to a local bar, I was stopped by a slightly inebriated young man who wanted to have his picture taken with the pretty clown. I had to laugh and joked about hating to be photographed. We had our picture taken , gave him a hug and told him to have a good night and then we headed into the bar. Moments later, I’m pulled away from my group by this same person. His partner stood off in the background. We intrigued him so much that this young man wanted to come in and talk to me more. Within minutes, he was sharing some of the most intimate details about his life which included being involved in a gang. He told me about his ex wife, all of his numerous tattoos and their meanings including two special tattoos on his faced of his two children’s initials. That’s when he completely broke down, hugged me and started begging for forgiveness. He wanted absolution for all of his sins committed in his life. Not only did he have a lot of guilt regarding his family and his gang involvement, he also was dealing with not being able to accept himself as a gay man.

After letting him cry as we held one another, I held him back and clearly told him that I could not provide forgiveness, but that I was here to help him in any way that I could. I reminded him that he had to first forgive himself and then he could start down the road to changing his life and accepting himself as well. He understood, but asked me a few more times if I was sure that I could not forgive him. I gave him numerous hugs. I didn’t want to let him go. It was getting close to closing time, so we said our goodbye’s and his partner thanked me for taking the time to listen and talk.

Despite being off in the corner of the patio, I had not realized that some of my fellow Sisters had watched all of this un fold. I learned later that it gave them the first insight to a true Sister Moment and made them realize what a true calling of being a Sister meant.

Ever since that night, I’ve thought about this young man, wondering how he’s doing along his journey of acceptance and forgiveness. I figured that I would probably never have the chance to see him again.

Until last weekend.

We walked into the very same bar and the first people I see is that very same young man and his partner. I must have had a big smile on my face. I immediately went up to him and the first words out of his mouth was, “Do you remember me?” Remember him, hell how could I forget him? He told me that despite being a little drunk that night, he remembered everything we talked about and everything that I said to him. He thanked me over and over for that night. He told me it changed his life and he owed it all to us.

They both ended up hanging out with us most of the night. They inquired about our organization and pointed out one of our Guards, asking about that role. The young man’s eyes lit up and immediately told me that he wanted to be Eve’s ***** and protect her. Aw, I think I have a fan! But, he wanted to protect our entire house. He was very passionate about becoming a member and helping us any way he could. His partner teaches self defense, so his interest was piqued as well.

A few days later, we became friends on Facebook. The young man sent me a message telling me that he hasn’t stopped thinking about us and becoming a member some day. He told me that he had decided to go into treatment and that because of us, he wanted to change his life for the better. I didn’t press him about details, but wished him well and said I’d be sending him positive thoughts and prayers and to keep in touch. Today I get a message from his partner saying that since our second meeting that this young man hasn’t stopped talking about us and about what we mean to him, including helping him on the path of accepting and forgiving himself.

I read his message today while sitting at my desk at work and tears came to my eyes.

You never know when being approached by someone wanting to have a picture on the street, that it could turn into one of the most life changing experiences for me as a Sister. Not only has he changed me personally, but hopefully this story will help our house and any other Sister that reads it.

Stuff like this is why my partner and I plan on joining the South Florida Sisters as soon as we move to Lauderdale :)

That is an amazing story! Congrats for being there for him. There needs to be more of that in the world. More Huggin...Less Judgin!

Stuff like this is why my partner and I plan on joining the South Florida Sisters as soon as we move to Lauderdale :)

Thanks everyone!

Conck, let me know once you think about joining. We know some sisters usually in every house around the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter