A Single Mom's Guide to WDW- Survival Edition :) w/ Photos!*UPDATE Jan 7th,post 37*

I would like to interrupt myself to fill you in on an important part of luggage that did NOT make it with us to WDW.

No, not a missing suitcase...but ......missing UNDERWEAR :headache:

The one thing that you really dont' want to forget.

NOw, I KNOW that I had set out enough undies for the kids, with a few extras, to bring along.

I know I had packed it. I checked it off my list.

BUT

In the process of reorganizing things the night before we left (meaning, I was up late, close to midnight, and we were leaving the house at 4am to go to the airport....and I was in no right state of mind let me tell you) I accidentally left Mickey's undies on my dresser.

Sigh.

So one of the things we were shopping for was... of course...underwear.

Panchitos at the Coronado Springs resort HAD some , but only in too small sizes. Yikes.

The Gift shop at Grand Floridian, same story.

The shop by Chef Mickeys: didn't have any.

So....we were spending a great deal of time shopping for UNDERWEAR at WDW. :scared1: oh the horror!!!!

But really, we were cracking up laughing about the whole situation. Mickey too thought it was hysterical, and Minnie's only concern was that she was NOT sharing hers with her brother. :laughing:

I forgot my daughter's autograph book on the first day we were meeting characters. Only we were already walking into Magic Kingdom when I realized it. :sad2:

Thankfully she just had the Disney Princess one that they were selling everywhere. I picked up another one and the pen once we got inside.

Enjoying your report.

Yea!!! Thanks to all the new joiner-in-ers!

It was a beautiful day in Ottawa today. spent it out with the honey doing not much of anything. But it was a good day!

We talked a bit about our upcoming trip (his first time since 1994!). Discussed a few of the plans.

He is really not into it as much as I am however. He liked and still likes Disney, just not 'excited'. Doesn't get that hole thing to get excited. sigh. But that's ok. I am excited enough for the both of us!!

We will be going February 2nd to the 10th. Todays discussion was around weather. He is hoping that he can pack just shorts and be good with that. Now, I warned him that it could go as cold as 10 c (50 f) but he said "good. Then it is still shorts weather"

Sigh.

He figures as long has he has is sweater jacket for at night, he is just fine in his shorts. AAAAAAAACk! Crazy.

Now for me, the ideal is a 25 c day (77f) Heck even 68 f is a nice day for me! So my fingers are crossed for nice weather.

(his cousins went this year, same time but a week later, and they are in t shirts and shorts in every photo, so fingers crossed we are as lucky!)

Our discussions also let to the meals that we will be eating. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I talked with him about 1900 PF strawberry soup (oh my goodness. On this trip report trip, I tried that at 1900 PF. It was like candy. But ...he turned his nose?!) and about Pooh's Puffed French Toast at Crystal Palace (that got his attention).

So many memories from Nov 2009....and I will keep on writing them! Watch for an update soon.

And again, thanks to the single moms and not single moms and everyone else in between who are reading along. I appreciate it!

Enjoy your evening everyone. :)

I forgot my daughter's autograph book on the first day we were meeting characters. Only we were already walking into Magic Kingdom when I realized it. :sad2:

Thankfully she just had the Disney Princess one that they were selling everywhere. I picked up another one and the pen once we got inside.

Enjoying your report.

If we weren't so close to the bus stop, I would have done the same thing!! The autographs are pretty important!!

After a fun breakfast at Chef Mickeys, we were on our way to Epcot.

Thankfully, the monorails were now up and running! :cool1: So the kids were really excited to be able to hop on and take off.

Nope. We were not at Rope drop. We were having a nice casual morning, a calm start to our trip. And the crowds were very light! All was well!

035_35.jpg

037_37.jpg

We got to the park, and the kids were immediately taken by the pin trading area. Sigh. another few trades, probably numbers 232 out of 1,476,892 trades done this trip.

We enjoyed our time with Nemo, we loved Soarin' up above the clouds. We learned some sciency type of stuff with Ellen. We got to see the animatronic version of Figment. (I understand why so many don't like this attraction compared to how it was originally. but it was 'ok' for us)
038_38.jpg

047_47.jpg

My sweet Mickey was stressing about Test Track the few days leading up to the trip. I told him that I wouldn't let him go on something that I didn't think he could handle.

So the time finally came to go to Test Track...and he was nervous, but enjoyed all the stuff going on while waiting in line. We watched the video....then the big doors opened (to another line. LOL )

When it was our turn to get in the cars....he DID get in. And we were off.

By the time the ride was over, he had a grin on his face larger than that on a clown...he loved it!!! :banana: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd of course we had to do it again. :goodvibes This time there was a little girl in line behind us, and she was nervous....and don't cha know, my sweet Mickey was talking to her about how it is just like a car ride (ahem. if you have driven with me, you may agree....sigh LOL )and that he was afraid but loved it, and well I thought that was all sweet. :O)

Mickey has an obsession with the water fountains....all of them anywhere on DIsney property. LOL So every place that we saw water, we stopped and posed!!!!
055_55.jpg

My favourite place however, is the jumping water thingamabobbers. I LOVED those as a kid, and my DS loves those now!!! DD not so much, she was the right height to get blasted in the face....so she stayed off to the side while Mickey played

050_50.jpg

053_53.jpg

Another big hit was the create your own video game. Minnie was really not enjoying this, so we stopped and let someone else try, while Mickey did his own thing

057_57.jpg

Both kids loooooooooooved Spaceship Earth. We went ...well quite a few times. LOL THey kept wanting to 'change their future'!!!
059_59.jpg

Single Parent note: They let my two munchkins sit together while I sat alone. The kids were awesome, and really enjoyed the freedom! We took turns, where one would sit with me and one would sit alone. I was nervous about them sitting alone...(very nervous) but for us it worked out great.

Also, for Nemo, they allowed us all to sit together in the Clam shell. For Test Track, it was 3 across anyway, so that was perfect!!

In otherwords, Epcot is single mom friendly. :O)

Epcot continued:

Here is Mickey after riding Test Track:
062_62.jpg

Mickey at one of his favourite fountains:
066_66.jpg

****** Day 2: Magic Kingdom!!!! ******

Part 1: Fantasyland and Toontown

On Saturday, we were up early and wanted to get to the MK in time for rope drop. Unfortunately we missed part as there was quite a line for the security.

070_70-1.jpg

After some waiting, we were FINALLY at the Magic Kingdom! I just love walking in through the tunnel, leave one world behind to emerge into another world.

After taking pause to just really apreciate that we were there.....(a long time of saving money, family help, 3 1/2 years of court drama, continued emotional abuse from the ex, and finally a divorce! ) I grabbed my kids and we just stood there, holding onto each other smiling.... Awesome.

Then....

We were off!
071_71-1.jpg

We did not stop, we just chugged on, but the lure of an almost empty castle photo opportunity stopped me dead in my tracks....a quick snap
072_72.jpg

Then we were off again.....
To Dumbo!!!

There were very few people ahead of us, yet we still waited almost 15 min to get on. The kids weren't sure who was going to sit with me, so we solved that....they sat together, and I was in a Dumbo in front of them. After a great ride, and a thank you to our elephants, we were ready to tackle the rest of Fantasyland.

074_74-1.jpg

075_75.jpg

First, we went and quickly grabbed fast passes for Peter Pan.

Then we went over to Winnie the Pooh. It looked like a ghost town!! So after walking right onto the ride, we got off, went through the store, around to the front, and back onto the ride! Then we got off, went through the store where the CM said "Hello again" , around to the front and back onto the ride (this time there were a few families getting on in front of us). After the 3rd time, I was good. I saw enough woozles and did enough bouncing, even though it was Tiggerific!

Also, this trip was a "don't say no" trip. Basically, I wanted it to be all about my kids. What they wanted. But thankfully, they wanted to move on after the 3rd ride. Phew. :rotfl:
076_76.jpg

077_77.jpg

So then we went over to Snow White's Scary Adventures. And we got on and off there a few times too!!! The first few times the guy let us take two rows, DS in one and DD and I together. We also did one where Mickey and Minnie sat together. But then there was a different CM and he made us all sit in 1 row. Not because it was busy...but because he felt that it was safer for my kids? um. well so we obliged, then we went on our way.

By this time it was about 940am, and I wanted to try to get the kiddies in to see Tink and friends. But there as absolutely no way on this earth was I going to wait over an hour for it.

So we went over to Toontown for the rope drop. We walked up, about a row or so back from the 'rope drop area'. And people just kept coming in from behind.

Adults were talking about their plan to get in to the tent as early as possible, and "do this and I will do that"..... and I thought "oh lord what have we gotten ourselves into".

So after only a few minutes, maybe 10? They started with the opening! CM's came out and chatted with the kids, then they told everyone to walk in a calm fashion, and they led people with a rope stopping people from going ahead...at that point the pushing started. I grabbed Mickey and Minnies hands, and I said "it's going to get crazy, hold on and don't let go." I was ready to yell at one guy, but then the cm's leading moved aside, and boom everyone was off...and that one guy took off runing, up and over the center decoration /gardening (for lack of a better word) space, tripped, then kept going. The CM's were loudly reminding everyone to walk and be calm, it was CRAZY!!! :scared1: I just walked, holding the kids hands, and we got in safe and sound.

See? You don't have to push or act like an idiot.

Single mom rule: Hold on tight to your kids while the "big kids" act like idiots! Use their behaviour as a lesson to your children on how not to behave

So. rant over.

We got into the tent, and waited not too long before we were shrunk down to Tinkerbell's size. We were eventually led into a really beautiful room where we got to meet the fairies. Unfortunately, my children didn't know who anyone was other than Tink of course.Never an interest in the shows or whatever, just always interested in Tink because of Peter Pan. And it was unfortunate because the interaction was fantastic, and they were playing with each other, and talking to Mickey and Minnie about "what so and so did" etc. All we could do was smile. LOL but we all enjoyed!!!!! Of course the best part for both kiddies was Tink herself. She was wonderful, and talked lots to the kids and answered their questions, and admired their pins, and well she alone was worth the wait. Sweet as can be.
084_84.jpg

(and Mickey was impressed that there was a BOY Fairy! lol)
086_86.jpg

We were out of the Fairy meet and greet by 1020am. So I considered that to be quite successful. As we were leaving, a mom stopped us and asked " which Fairies were in there? Which ones?" she was quite .....excited to find out. Unfortunately, we didn't know their names!!!

After our Fairy adventure, we went to check out Mickey's house. That was really fun, and I am even more glad that we did it with the house not being there anymore!!!!! When Minnie found that out, she got so sad, she cried..."but mommy that is where Mickey and Minnie LIVE why would Disney take away their house?" Oy. I had to explain it was like a cottage, not their permanent house, and they are going to be fine, and still see people, and well now they don't have to worry about people touching their things. :rolleyes1

087_87.jpg

088_88.jpg

Up next was Goofy's Barnstormer. This is a fav ride of my Minnie. We went on it when she was barely 3 years old, and she talked about it non stop since then. So of course, that was a must do ride! The line wasn't too bad. I don't think we waited more than 10-15min to get on. So of course, we did two turns on it. By then the line was getting longer, so we headed back to Fantasyland. We had Peter Pan fastpasses to use!!!

When we got back to Peter Pan, the line was quite long. Amazing how this ride ALWAYS has a long line!!!!!! So after a short wait in the fast pass line, we were well on our way to Neverland. I love this ride. It really is so sweet. Both Mickey and Minnie enjoyed it too. They didn't want to wait in the long line to do it again, but they both asked if we could try to do it a few times when we came back later in the week.

We enjoyed Mickey's Philharmagic!!! We had gone in right after they closed the doors for the movie ahead of us, so we did have quite a wait. The kids enjoyed some chatting with other children, I sent a few texts back home

*sidenote: Mother is not text inclined...so I would text with my friend, who would call my Mum or email her what was going on. LOLOL. So I sent a text off to say something along the lines of "the morning plan is going well, so far seeing all that we wanted to. having a great day" :O)

So finally those big doors opened and we all got to file into the theatre. A few minutes in, Mickey said "I REMEMBER THIS MOVIE MOM!!!" it was kinda funny, just randomly shouting it out. Finally some memories from the trip 3 years previously!!!! LOL! Anyway we really enjoyed the movie, all 3 of us, and agreed we needed to see it again later in the week.

We then headed over to the dreaded...It's a Small World.

The song drives me crazy.

I remember when a friend when in High School to WDW and she came home with a really cool Mickey watch, and i liked it until she played the music in it. aaaaaaaaargh!
I remember the start of Senior year, when a friend and I went to WDW just before school started...and it was his first ever trip. and I had to promise family that I would go on Small World with him. Aaaaaargh!

I remember going with my ex. We didn't even go on Small World. :O)

I remeber going with my Mum and Mickey and Minnie in 2006 when they were barely 3 and 5.5 years old. And I remember their faces lighting up at all the scenes, and them pointing things out, and singing along, and their eyes twinkling...and well suddenly the song didn't bother me so much. :love:

So. We went on It's a Small World. But just once. :wizard: (again we knew we could go on it again later in the week)

093_93.jpg

095_95.jpg

098_98.jpg

UP NEXT: Magic Kingdom Part 2: Rabbits and Singing Bears, Sexy Pirates, Ghosts, and some yummmmmmmy food along the way

Just found your report. Any more installments coming? I am a single momma too and so far we have done DL a bunch of times and have 3 DCL trips planned. WDW as a single mom scares me though. I hope you write more of your report. I love the single mom tips! :goodvibes

I'm in! Enjoying your report so far, so please continue!

I'm a single mom to DS4. We are heading to WDW for our 1st trip in Feb 2012, staying at POFQ. I'm so excited, I can't stand it. I have to stop myself from talking about Disney in every conversation to my family and friends. :lmao: Most think I'm crazy. Oh well, I'm Disney obsessed and proud of it! :lovestruc

Magic Kingdom Part 2:

Once we were done in Fantasy Land, we started to make our way over to the Haunted Mansion.

The kids of course were scared just by the name, I had to remind them of how much they loved it. After a very short wait, and enjoying the stretching room, we were on our way. I was grateful that they allowed the 3 of us to squeeze in together for the ride! Yea for Disney with Single Moms!!!

We checked out the riverboat, which was on a promotional ride spree...this was right before Princess and the Frog came out, and so they had it set up where it was a riverboat cruise that some people were lucky enough to go on, with Princess Tiana et al. There were only specific ride times I seem to recall, and we always managed to miss it. We did get to watch the boat on its way back to dock, with the band playing, it was really cool. So we stopped and enjoyed that while we made our way over to the mountains!!!

We got a fast pass for Big Thunder, then backtracked to the Country Bear Jamboree!

This is such a hokey attraction ,but I love it. And so did the kids. They were clapping along, enjoying all of it.

**** to be continued soon!! ****

Great report! It's funny you mention forgetting underwear. A few years ago, we took a trip to WDW for spring break and I got all the way down there and realized I didn't pack my own! My late daughter-in-law and infant grandson were traveling on a plane for the first time and I was so consumed with helping her pack and making sure she had all of her diabetes supplies, I completely forgot. Underwear is incredibly expensive and hard to find in Disney! Oh well. It was a wonderful trip:)

Pecos Bill Cafe. We love this place!!!!!

So of course we stopped here for lunch. We shared the wrap sandwich. We were hungry enough to eat *something* but not a full meal each.

This sandwich is GREAT, and it is a great way to save a bit of money, since it is so huge!!!!

So we only had to cash in 1 adult counter service point. Later in the afternoon the kids shared another meal, a kids meal, and that was 1 point.

so spread out the points and share meals, it will help save some $

Anyway so the rest of the day at the Magic Kingdom was magical. We of course did Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise (this ALWAYS has long lines!!) We enjoyed the Tiki Room as well.

We crossed over the hub, and made sure to do tomorrow land. We hadn't any luck with Space Mountain, it was down for refurb. But we did enjoy many many many turns on Buzz Lightyear. I even got the 999,999 points!!! Bit of a bummer really, I couldn't continue shooting for the rest of the game. Sad part? I don't know what I hit to allow me to have that high of a score!!!

The Laugh floor I really enjoyed. I laughed through the whole thing and DS and I got picked on. "That guy" took it really well, I remember him having fun with it.

Basically, we thoroughly enjoyed our day at the Magic Kingdom!

Thanks for the continued report!

So funny how the parks are so different. The Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland hardly ever has a line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter