A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Great wrap up, even if your meal was slightly lackluster. On another note, I'm so excited to hear about your next trip's eats!

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough last day. That has pretty much cemented my idea that I'm going to stay away from princess meals until we have kids. I am happy to hear that you had a great time on your most recent trip and waiting patiently for the latest review.

Akershus breakfast was literally one of the worst meals I've ever had at WDW... ever. So not worth the $$.

Can't wait for your next review!!!

I'm sorry Akershus wasn't great. I haven't been and was hoping to get an ADR there...but maybe...I won't be as upset now if it doesn't come through...

Sorry your trip went out with a fizzle and not a bang at Akershus. It's kind of a bummer to end on a meal that is disappointing. But I've got my napkin in my lap eagerly awaiting the next party!

Bummer! :sad2: Sorry your last meal of the trip wasn't anything special. I felt pretty much the same way about Akershus after my one and only visit there in Dec. 2013. And I wasn't even soaking wet. ;) Anyway, I'm looking forward to the wrap up and count me in for your next party! :banana:
Glad I"m not the only one in the non-Akershus camp. I'd read some good reviews of it, but should have known better to trust my gut and just say no to the princesses.

I have never wanted to try Akershus as I don't really care for the princess stuff. If the food was spectacular I would try it once. Love your pics though, they are adorable.
I'm not too into the princesses either, so count your lucky boy stars with Alexander ; )

Akershus wouldn't be for me either but if I had a little girl who loved princesses, then it would be a must do. In a similar vein, I have taken one niece to T-Rex already and another one is now starting to ask. At least I can get Auntie "big girl" libations there to ease the pain. Last time, I went for the booze with the cotton candy that dissolves. It did the trick! :P Dear Lord, I hope its still there.
Even with a princess loving little girl, I don't think we'd ever return. I'm sure you won't be shocked to know we've never done T-Rex either though last time we walked by Casey wanted to go in ; ) But at least copious amounts of adult beverages would lessen the pain.

Geez, that was a rough last morning :( I think I can always handle rain better if it isn't the last day of the trip. By the last day I'm usually pretty tired and sad that I'm leaving so torrential downpours would just make it worse.

I am a big stickler for line order so I probably would have let you back in front of me :) But that's just me...apparently :(

We've never done Akershus and this review isn't likely to make me want to go anytime soon. I'm always kind of cautious about breakfast character meals. Besides Boma, I'm not sure that I like any breakfast buffets.
Yeah rain on the last day really is the worst. I had no tolerance for it which is why we sat in the hotel lobby for a few hours instead even though the lounge wasn't even open ; )

I'm the same way with the lines. I'd never encountered something like that before. Now I know we were all wet, but clearly when I'd watched everyone walk up to the line some line respect should have been shown.

I'm not a buffet fan either so Akershsus didn't stand too much of a chance to begin with. Never done Boma, but we are Tusker House fans which I think is pretty similar.

It was nice to let Casey have her character breakfast. She looks very happy. But soggy shoes all day long must have been very unpleasant.:(

I can't wait to read about your next trip. :)
Thanks. Breakfast was definitely all about Casey that day. But alas this latest trip I put my food needs firmly back in the drivers seat ; )

My thoughts on Akershus are that it's just okay food with a huge price tag because of the princesses. If you want to meet them without waiting in line it's great. And it's a better value than Cinderella's Royal Table. Plus, I'm pretty sure it still is (at least it used to be ) only 1 credit on the dining plan so it's one of the best values you can get if you're on the plan. Personally I've been too many times to this place. Twice for dinner and once for breakfast and I don't even have kids! We tried it on our honeymoon just because I wanted to meet princesses, lol. Then my friend from Norway took a trip with us and he wanted to see how Americans represented his country, lol. And once for breakfast when I was with a group of girlfriends and they wanted to do something "girly." That one killed me because I paid $40+ for breakfast, which in your review you pointed out was not great food at all. A same group of girls wanted to eat there after the Princess half marathon last year and I pulled myself out of that one because I was not paying that again!

Thanks for the review and I'm sorry you had to wait in the rain! And sorry for my ramblings on Akershus lol.
Since we never do the dining plan it definitely wasn't a good "value" for us, but I can see how it would be for those on the plan. I'd love to hear what your Norwegian friend thought of it. But good for you for not doing it again, the price really is just absurd. I know folks say you are paying for the experience, but its a restaurant first and foremost and this mama is paying for the food.

Great wrap up, even if your meal was slightly lackluster. On another note, I'm so excited to hear about your next trip's eats!
A bad meal in disney, is still a disney meal right ; )

Sorry to hear that you had such a rough last day. That has pretty much cemented my idea that I'm going to stay away from princess meals until we have kids. I am happy to hear that you had a great time on your most recent trip and waiting patiently for the latest review.
Stay far, far away.....

Akershus breakfast was literally one of the worst meals I've ever had at WDW... ever. So not worth the $$.

Can't wait for your next review!!!
Glad to hear I'm not the only one in that boat. Clearly I think it being the last day and the weather weighed on my opinion, but I've had better food at quick services. Definitely not worth the money. I think at even half the price I'd still stay away.

I'm sorry Akershus wasn't great. I haven't been and was hoping to get an ADR there...but maybe...I won't be as upset now if it doesn't come through...
I know you've been wanting to go so hopefully it works out for ya. And I'm sure your daughter would love it, just lower your food expectations and hope for a dry day ; )

Sorry your trip went out with a fizzle and not a bang at Akershus. It's kind of a bummer to end on a meal that is disappointing. But I've got my napkin in my lap eagerly awaiting the next party!
Definitely not the food exit I was hoping for, but clearly we'd more than made up for it on other days. Think for the future I know to stick with a tried and true for the last meal so I won't be disappointed or hopefully wet ; )

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip even with the not so thrilling meal at Akershus. We are doing Akershus in September, but we do have a 4 year old girl and free dining.

I can't say I'm surprised by your experience at Akershus. We had dinner there and it was downright disgusting. And the princesses were fine, but I did feel like they were moving very quickly. I was not impressed, especially when I saw the $180 bill that followed.

Yayyy for another trip report. Can't wait to see if you tried some new things. And bravo to you for braving the HEAT!

In a bit of foreshadowing, this ended up setting the tone for the day.

Oh no:sad2:

Of course this would mean that we would all act like civilized adults and honor the line we were already in, right? Foolish me, this was the land of no decorum or respect for others and you guessed it I found myself now last in line and standing in the pouring down rain. #GoodTimes

:mad: Oh I would have been SO ticked!

c9904907-5952-4ec3-a093-bef3c0172691.jpg

She is so adorable! I love how she leans her head:cutie:

Aw she must have loved this part!

I couldn't help but wonder why school bread wasn't on the Norwegian buffet (now that I may return for)

:scratchin Now that's an idea! Hello, Disney!? You reading this?!

he potato casserole was the star of the meal, as it was decadently creamy and cheesy, clearly copious amounts of butter and cream had gone into its preparation.

I'm down for massive amount of butter, cream and cheese on anything :hyper:

For the Norwegian offerings the salmon and capers was the stand-out but it could have used some lemon on it, but none was available.

I would have grabbed the salmon and capers too. That's my all time fav breakfast food but only get it on vacation. And I think the last time I actually got it was on our last Disney Cruise in 2011 :sad2:

which made the $90+ dollar bill slightly more palatable. But for that price I'd much rather dine elsewhere.

That's how we felt about Tusker House Character Breakfast. But it was mainly because of DS hating the characters. If that was different, we would have had such a great time! As far as Akershus, I don't think we'll be going there anytime soon. Unless we have a girl in our future!

(note my shoes were still wet when we got home 12 hours after our breakfast).

Woah! :scared: Brought back some of that Ep-A-Cot rain with you :yes::

Up next we'll wrap this bad boy up and the start the next party. Everyone get hungry!!!!

As sad as I am to see this TR over, I'm VERY excited to hear about your new foodie ventures on your recent trip :hyper: Bring it!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....
The last day of the trip is finally upon us.
I hate that feeling! :sad1:

We were up early and got all packed up before heading to what has become our traditional last park of the trip Ep-A-Cot.
This is my unofficial tradition too, mainly because I love to end my trip with Illuminations, and Future World all lit-up at night. :cloud9:

Casey did enjoy the princess parade where she could wave to all her adoring fans.

How cute is she!!! :cutie:

The potato casserole was the star of the meal, as it was decadently creamy and cheesy, clearly copious amounts of butter and cream had gone into its preparation.
Mmmm, that sounds AMAZING! I'm looking forward to loading up on this in December! :D

(note my shoes were still wet when we got home 12 hours after our breakfast)
Ack!!! :crazy2:

Last edited:
Just finished catching up on your report! Just love your dining reviews and it definitely gets me excited about our trip since we are trying some new places that you have reviewed. I am really looking forward to Jiko and was debating on if I should switch it out for Sanaa since I heard so much about the bread service. But your Jiko review sealed the deal!!! I love all the fun pictures of Casey and especially the parade picture. This last trip was the first time we sat for a parade (MSEP) and my daughter was like yours mesmerized and it was awesome to see the characters interact with the kids! So excited for your next report and would love to be able to swing a quick trip down - maybe one day.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip even with the not so thrilling meal at Akershus. We are doing Akershus in September, but we do have a 4 year old girl and free dining.
Now if it was free I would definitely have had a different opinion ; ) We're going in September too, but have AP's so we don't do free dining. When are you all going? We'll be there over labor day week.

I can't say I'm surprised by your experience at Akershus. We had dinner there and it was downright disgusting. And the princesses were fine, but I did feel like they were moving very quickly. I was not impressed, especially when I saw the $180 bill that followed.

Yayyy for another trip report. Can't wait to see if you tried some new things. And bravo to you for braving the HEAT!
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one not on the Akershus bandwagon. I'd read a lot of good reports so I had high hopes, but sadly it disappointed and of course was grossly overpriced.

New report hopefully commencing soon.

She is so adorable! I love how she leans her head:cutie:
That's her official princess pose that she's been cultivating for years ; )

Aw she must have loved this part!
Yep, the girl loves a stage so she was thrilled to have the restaurant be her own personal audience.

I would have grabbed the salmon and capers too. That's my all time fav breakfast food but only get it on vacation. And I think the last time I actually got it was on our last Disney Cruise in 2011
If only I could have eaten $40 in salmon maybe it would have been worth it ; )

That's how we felt about Tusker House Character Breakfast. But it was mainly because of DS hating the characters. If that was different, we would have had such a great time! As far as Akershus, I don't think we'll be going there anytime soon. Unless we have a girl in our future!
We do like Tusker House, but if casey didn't love the characters that might have changed the equation. Oh no, what am I saying, they serve bloody marys the equation would have been just the same ; )

And while girls are wonderful I'm secretly jealous of all the boys and their non-princess fascination as I'm sitting next to a little girl dressed as Queen Elsa as I type ; )

As sad as I am to see this TR over, I'm VERY excited to hear about your new foodie ventures on your recent trip :hyper: Bring it!
Hopefully they will be starting soon. Just gotta find some time to get the party started.

This is my unofficial tradition too, mainly because I love to end my trip with Illuminations, and Future World all lit-up at night.
Ours is usually a morning visit, but we find it a great way to end.

How cute is she!!! :cutie:
Very cute. Just ask her, she'll be happy to tell you ; )

Just finished catching up on your report! Just love your dining reviews and it definitely gets me excited about our trip since we are trying some new places that you have reviewed. I am really looking forward to Jiko and was debating on if I should switch it out for Sanaa since I heard so much about the bread service. But your Jiko review sealed the deal!!! I love all the fun pictures of Casey and especially the parade picture. This last trip was the first time we sat for a parade (MSEP) and my daughter was like yours mesmerized and it was awesome to see the characters interact with the kids! So excited for your next report and would love to be able to swing a quick trip down - maybe one day.
So glad to hear I'm useful to someone ; ) You will totally love Jiko. It has never disappointed us and after last trip firmly cemented itself into our number one spot. While it looks like my beloved carrot soup is gone from their current menu, they have some other new options I'm dying to try.

The parades were definitely a pleasant surprise to me. We still haven't done the MSEP, but hopefully next trip as I'm sure Casey will be as mesmerized as your daughter.

Just a quick real life update and the promise of a wrap-up and the new report very soon.

First hope everyone had a great 4th of July (or Canada Day for Kathy and any other of our Northern friends out there). We had a blast with our traditional July 4th at the beach. Here are a few pics from the trip.

Casey in her other (non-Disney) element, WATER!!!!
IMG_0436.JPG

And not surprisingly to everyone, there was lots and lots of food
IMG_0450-2.JPG

And of course adult beverages
IMG_0466.JPG

We just got back yesterday and while I'm off work for a few more days, my Dad is having his knee replaced so I'll be in care giver mode. I think I caught up on everyone else's goings on so I'm hoping to have this bad boy wrapped up and the new report started in the next few days. Thanks for hanging in there.

Love the pics from your 4th of July celebration at the beach. And I hope your dad's surgery goes well and he has a very quick recovery!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!