"A Salute to All Disney Cuisine, But Mostly Italian" (Updated 8/20)

Joining in! Can't wait to see what other CS you dined at. We'll have the QSDP for the first time in December, so I'm making a mental list of all the good places we should go to.

Today we awoke feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. We had purchased refillable mugs when we checked in ($30.87) and utilized those in the mornings. The Disney coffee is Nescafe and disgusting. I solved that problem for myself by bringing Via packets from Starbucks and make my own at the food court with the hot water/cream provided. We also had cream cheese danishes for breakfast this day. I am so sorry I forgot to take pictures of them. I didn't do very well remembering in the mornings as we were so rushed trying to eat and get to the parks! I can tell you that the Disney cream cheese danishes are one of my top snacks in Disney. They are always so fresh. The cream cheese filling is sweet and creamy like cheesecake. They always have drizzles of sweet icing. I just love them and look forward to them on my trips.

Today we were headed to Magic Kingdom for rope drop. Our plan today was to try the new Sorceror's of the Magic Kingdom game. Took us over 6 hours to complete one mission. It was so crowded in the park and the lines for the game were long. But, my daughter enjoyed it so that is all that matters. She loved it but wasn't in a hurry to do another.

Since we were so engrossed in the challenge of finishing the game, we decided to cancel our Liberty Tree Tavern lunch ADR and keep playing. We finally took a break and ate a small lunch at Tortuga Tavern instead. I love this place and always enjoy the food. It didn't disappoint again this year. We split the nachos. I had a diet coke and my daughter had a bottle of Smart water. $13.37. This lunch is a bargain at this price as the two of us didn't even finish the nachos and we were stuffed.

The nachos consist of a huge helping of tortillas that are topped with seasoned ground beef and a black bean salsa that is "out of the world" good. You receive your plate of nachos with the beef and black bean salsa and then head to the toppings bar where you can pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and cheese. The lettuce was very fresh and the tomatoes were ripe and delicious. Everything at the topping bar was fresh and it was very clean and neat. Sorry that I forgot to take a picture of the bar! Here are the nachos after I loaded up the toppings.

July2012Dis2172.jpg

I love Tortuga Tavern but it's crazy that it closes so early. The day we dined there it closed prompty at 3:00. So many people came by and saw us eating and wanted to order but they were closed. It should be open longer hours especially in the middle of the summer. People do like the option of nachos, burritos and quesadillas. Oh well.

That night we headed to Epcot for dinner at Via Napoli. We love Via Napoli and it's one of our favorites. We dine often at Naples and Napolini at Disneyland. I am Italian and it's my favorite type of food. I cannot get very authentic Italian food in California so we tend to enjoy Via Napoli and Tutto Italia more than once a trip while at WDW. Anyhow, back to the reviews...

Our ADR was for 7:45 p.m. The line for walk up seating stretched to the Italian fountain! We were seated a table in the main dining room. Now, I love the food at Via Napoli but I have never really had spectacular service here. To me the service at Tutto Italia vs Via Napoli is like night and day. This night was no different.

We were seated at the table with no silverware, no salt, pepper, etc. Our waiter (Luca) was friendly and adorable but just seemed so stressed and over worked. I felt bad for him. We ordered the arancini and an invidivual pepperoni pizza to split. We asked for some bread and we received two pieces that were stale and just not good. One bite was enough for me. Sorry, no picture. It was served with olive oil. So disappointing because I just cannot get good Italian bread in California!

The arancini was spectacular. It is always consistently good and we get it every trip. The 3 arancini were filled with creamy risotto, meat and cheese. The pomodoro sauce served with them is soooo good. Yummm I could just eat a plate of it with some good bread and be happy. It is very filling as they are heavy.

review10.jpg

Our pizza arrived and it looked great and tasted as wonderful as always. The pizza here is so thin and the dough so tender. The sauce is smooth and on top are large pieces of real slices of mozzarella. The pepperoni is sliced thin and the it's really good quality Italian stick pepperoni.

review9.jpg

Unfortunately, the arancini filled me up so I could only eat two slices. My daughter had one and then we called it quits. I was sad that we were too full for dessert. This meal was a bargain for a dinner in Epcot. $38.34 for the arancini, pizza, iced tea and coke.

We finished the night by watching Illuminations and headed back to our resort.

This morning we had breakfast in our room. I had picked up a sweet almond pretzel and fruit cup from Kringla Bakery in Norway on our way out of the park last night. Sorry, we were rushed and I forgot to take pictures yet again this morning. The pretzel was delicious and was perfect paired with my Via coffee that I made in the food court. The fruit cup was standard but the fruit was ripe, fresh and delicious. Perfect light breakfast for us because we knew we had a big lunch coming up today. I cannot find my receipt but the pretzel is $4.29 and fruit cup is $3.39.

Today we returned to Epcot early enough for rope drop. We were hoping to get to the Character Spot today with minimal wait. We succeeded and then headed over to Sum of All Thrills.

Lunchtime came around quickly with an ADR of 12:25 for lunch with the Princesses in Norway at Akershus. This is yet another tradition for us but we always do the breakfast. Today was the first time we are eating at Akershus for lunch. We had our picture with Belle and we were seated in the back room next to the fireplace. I was happy with our table and really liked this room. We usually get the same two-top table that is next to a beam in the other room near the buffet. This room had more of the ambiance you would expect when dining with royalty! princess:

We started with the cold buffet. I just had some cheese, a small bit of salad, the grilled asparagus with balsalmic glaze and a roll. I didn't want to fill up too much. I knew the dessert plate was coming and had to prioritize room in mystomach for it. :rotfl2:

July2012Dis2207.jpg

My daughter just had cheese, salami, some fruit and a roll. Sorry that I cannot find the picture of her plate but it was not very exciting anyway...

The cheeses here were very good. Salad was basic but very fresh and hit the spot on a hot day. The roll was good and we love the Spaceship Earth looking butter! The best thing, (in my opinion), at the buffet is the grilled asparagus with balsalmic drizzle. Yum. It is so good. There were many varieties of meats and cheese, pasta salad, potato salad and some fruit. Also, I am sure that there was a type of seafood (maybe a salad) and some Norwegian cheeses. Each time I went to the buffet it was super crowded so I couldn't get pictures.

I ordered the oven roasted chicken breast - with fennel hash, tomato jam and chive oil.

July2012Dis2204.jpg

It was not good. The chicken was rubbery with flabby skin. The fennel hash had a strange flavor and I love fennel. Very disappointing. The chive oil was just weird. There was no reason for it to be on the plate. Just added an oily texture that coated my mouth with each bite. The saving grace of the dish was the tomato jam. It was delicious and I wished that there was more of it. I went up and had another plate of salad and more of the grilled asparagus. I should have tried the meatballs.

My daughter also ordered the chicken but we asked for hers to be plain and have the accompaniments that go along with the children's chicken meal....potatoes and vegetable. Her chicken arrived with just potatoes, no vegetables. We told our server but she never brought them out. Her chicken was a bit moister than my piece. Still not very good. I was happy to steal her tomato jam.

July2012Dis2205.jpg

The dessert arrived which is the sampler of Sweet and Savory Chocolate Mousse, Traditional Rice Cream topped with strawberry sauce and Flaky Puff Pastry filled with mascarpone mousse and topped with fresh berries.

July2012Dis2209.jpg

My favorite was the rice cream. The rice cream part itself is so delicious. So creamy and not overly sweet. The strawberries add to this dessert. I found the chocolate mousse to be too rich for my tastes. It needed some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to break up the chocolate. The puff pastry was excellent. The actual pastry tasted so fresh and the mascarpone mousse was perfect. The fresh berries were ripe and flavorful. Honestly, the dessert saved this meal for us.

This was the most expensive meal of our trip at $91.57 for the two of us. This does include the picture package with Belle which makes the price a bit easier to swallow. Our service here was just okay. We really have never had great service at Akershus so I wasn't expecting much. We will be sticking to breakfast from now on.

We left Epcot and headed back to Magic Kingdom for a few hours.

We returned to Epcot for our 8:30 ADR at my favorite, Tutto Italia! I was so excited to dine here since the recent renovations took place. The restaurant looks better than ever. I am sure you have all seen pictures of what they have done. They have added booths. The back room which we had dined in years ago is now the rest rooms and they are lovely. There are gorgeous Murano glass flowers and urns decorating the restaurant. I am so pleased that they left the beautiful, original Murals adorning the walls alone.

We were seated right on time in the main dining room at a two top table that was spaced far enough to be private. We were served a plate of focaccia bread along with the thin breadsticks that were served before the changes. This was served with olive oil as well as a small bowl of olives. The olives they used to serve were a variety of colors but now it is just green. They are huge, juicy and just perfect. I ate them all and our adorable assistant server, Marco, brought me more!

July2012Dis2223.jpg

Our server, Allessio, and his assistant were just excellent. My glass of tea never went below a half before Marco was right there to refill it. I was disappointed to see that the menu was completely overhauled and many of my favorites were now gone.

I decided to try the Gnocchetti - Cavatelli pasta, sweet sausage ragu, tomato, pecorino cheese.

July2012Dis2224.jpg

My daughter opted for the Fettuccine Vecchia Roma - pancetta, parmesan cream.

July2012Dis2225.jpg

My gnocchetti was so delicious. The pasta was tender, cooked perfectly and the sausage was a bit spicy, just wonderful. The sauce was so delicious and the pecorino just added to the dish. It was just perfect. My daughter's fettuccine was scrumptious. She loved it but didn't like the pancetta. I wish I had ordered it without the pancetta for her as you really tasted the pancetta even in the cream. The fettuccine pasta itself definitely tasted homemade. It had the most wonderful texture and just melted in your mouth. I found her dish absolutely delicious and glad to see a fettuccine alfredo type dish added back to the menu here.

We both were so full but had to have dessert. My daughter had to order her favorite, tiramisu.

July2012Dis2227.jpg

She raved about this one and said it was perfect. She doesn't like when the lady fingers on the bottom are soggy. Tutto always does theirs to her liking. She ate the whole thing! I do not know how she did it.

I didn't even have to look at the menu to know what I was ordering. My favorite, the cannoli!

July2012Dis2226.jpg

The shell was crisp and the filling was perfect, not too sweet and filled with just the right amount of candied fruit and chocolate chips. I've mentioned before that I grew up on the East Coast and now live in California. I miss the bread, pizza and Italian pastries. This cannoli was as good as the best I've had at the little Italian bakeries that I grew up with in RI.

This meal did not disappoint at all and was outstanding both in food and service. Tutto remains my favorite even after the menu overhaul. We were so glad we had another ADR here later in the trip! The cost for this meal was $80.94. I actually think the menu prices are a bit cheaper than they were in the past here.

We exited Tutto and the park was closed. We had a nice, quiet, leisurely stroll out of the park. It was a great day!

Today was our Hollywood Studios day. We split a bagel in the food court for breakfast. Sorry that again we were rushed and I didn't take pictures.

Oh my, was it hot this day! I started sweating the minute I walked out of the hotel room. I am no stranger to Orlando summer weather. We have gone the last 6 summers. Usually by the second or third day my body starts to get accustomed to the weather and I can function. I never got used to the humidity this trip. The heat was just oppresive to me.

Anyhow, we trudged on to HS for rope drop. Wow, it was mobbed. The lines for bag check stretched so far back. I spotted 4 different tour groups just at bag check. We were able to get our TSM fast pass and rode a few rides. We had a 12:00 ADR at Mama Melrose today.

At 11:30 I just felt so sick from the heat that there was no way we could eat a big meal. I went in person to the restaurant and cancelled our lunch ADR. We made the quick walk to Writer's Stop where I had a bottle of water and my daughter had a frozen slushy (no pictures, sorry). I felt better after the water, ac and rest.

My daughter decided to try PIzza Planet for her lunch. We haven't dined there since 2008. She ordered a pepperoni pizza that came with a side Caesar salad. She also had a large Coke. We saw others going by with the cappuccino cupcake so we decided to try that as well. This meal was $15.84. I just decided to eat the salad and share her cupcake.

July2012Dis2268.jpg

July2012Dis2269.jpg

She loved the pizza and ate the whole thing! I had a few bites and it was really, really good. So much better than I remembered. Tasted so fresh and just the right amount of sauce. Disney CS pizzas usually have way too much sauce for my tastes. I would not hesitate to eat here again! The salad was cold, crisp and perfectly dressed. It doesn't look like much in the picture but it was excellent for a CS salad. What a pleasant surprise. The best was yet to come.

Wow, the cappuccino cupcake was absolutely incredible.

July2012Dis2270.jpg

July2012Dis2274.jpg

The devil's food cake was topped with super light, mocha cream type frosting. We couldn't manage more than 1/2 but what a great cupcake. Disney cupcakes usually look so much better than they taste to me but this one was amazing. It wasn't overly coffee tasting.

What a great lunch. The funny thing is we would never have come here. We had planned on having flatbreads at Mama Melrose so the pizza here filled the bill. :thumbsup2

HI there :goodvibes Great reviews so far. I've got ADR's for O'Hanna dinner and Tutto Italia for our trip in January. Looks like I made good choices. The pasta looks scrumptious. So does all the food from O'Hanna. Yum. I'll make sure not to fill up on the bread to save room for that bread pudding. Looking forward to next update. -Amanda :cutie:

Wow, both your dishes from Tutto look so good. And that cupcake from pizza planet... Yum

HI there :goodvibes Great reviews so far. I've got ADR's for O'Hanna dinner and Tutto Italia for our trip in January. Looks like I made good choices. The pasta looks scrumptious. So does all the food from O'Hanna. Yum. I'll make sure not to fill up on the bread to save room for that bread pudding. Looking forward to next update. -Amanda :cutie:

We went back to Tutto two more times. It was so good! I'll have reviews of more dishes there soon.

Wow, both your dishes from Tutto look so good. And that cupcake from pizza planet... Yum

That cupcake was sooo good!

Since I didn't eat much at Pizza Planet, I was hungry a short while later. I remembered seeing the frankfurter in a pretzol roll at Min N Bill's Dockside Diner while looking at menus prior to the vacation. I decided to try it.

I ordered the frankfurter in a pretzel roll with dijon mustard ($7.59) and a bottle of Smart water ($3.50). My daughter decided to have a bag of chips ($2.69 - she loves the Disney brand chips) and to try their chocolate shake $3.99). We got the food and headed into ABC Commissary to eat since it was sweltering hot outside. ABC Commissary was empty so we had our choice of tables.

July2012Dis2301.jpg

July2012Dis2302.jpg

Untitled.jpg

The frank was a huge disappointment. The main reason was the dijon mustard was baked along with the frank inside the pretzel roll. There was way too much as it was oozing out with every bite. Keep in mind, I love mustard but this was just too much and hard to scrape off since it was literally inside the roll. The frank itself was flavorful and definitely good quality meat. The casing had a nice snap/crunch to it. The pretzel roll was super salty and disappointing. It was dry and cold and not very appetizing. I gave up about 1/3 of the way and dumped it. It could be a delicious meal. Maybe I just had a bad batch.

July2012Dis2300.jpg

My DD loved the shake. She said it tasted just like a Wendy's Frosty and was refreshing in the heat. It was so thick she ate it with a spoon. These items cost me $18.92.

Really enjoying your reviews! We love Tutto and Via Napoli too and will be dining at both places on our upcoming trip. Did you happen to notice if the "Ugly But Good" sundae was still on the menu at VN? We had it last year and it was amazing, hoping to repeat the experience this trip! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your reviews, looking forward to more! :goodvibes

Really enjoying your reviews! We love Tutto and Via Napoli too and will be dining at both places on our upcoming trip. Did you happen to notice if the "Ugly But Good" sundae was still on the menu at VN? We had it last year and it was amazing, hoping to repeat the experience this trip! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your reviews, looking forward to more! :goodvibes

Yes! "Ugly but good" is still on the menu. :thumbsup2 We went back to Via later on in the trip and I had it again. I love that sundae! It is amazing.

Yes! "Ugly but good" is still on the menu. :thumbsup2 We went back to Via later on in the trip and I had it again. I love that sundae! It is amazing.

:cool1: You made my day, thanks so much! I've been dreaming about that sundae ever since I had it last year, LOL!

Looking forward to more of your reviews and awesome pics. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I would have been really disappointed with that hot dog too!

That cappuccino cupcake on the other hand is seriously calling my name :rotfl2:

count me in!! what a shame that the cream puff stunk... it looks amazing! I may have to get a Napoleon now! Great pics of Ohana... that's going to be one of our new ADR's next trip, so I was really excited to see the yummy pictures!! :goodvibes Can't wait to see where you go next!

I'm really enjoying your reviews especially because my 13 year old DD and I are going to WDW next week! We are not doing the dining plan this time either so it'll be interesting to see how things work out as I don't think we've ever NOT done the dining plan. So your reviews are very fun and interesting to me! I can't wait for more!:thumbsup2

We have an ADR at Via Napoli so I was happy to see that review. I think it'll be pizza and dessert for us there but suddenly that fettucine dish with the cream sauce is calling my name! Darnit, don't make me go and change my ADRS! :rotfl2:

Enjoying your report so far! I'm really disappointed by the amount of mustard in the dog in a pretzel from Bill and Min's. I was going to try that and I like mustard, but that is way too much for me! Think I'm going to skip it.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter