A responsibly irresponsible Universal trip report- 12/17-12/22

emarie

Earning My Ears
I am so thankful for all of the advice I gleaned from this forum in planning our recent trip to Universal, so I'm writing a report in hopes that it helps someone else in planning. I figure even if no one reads it, it is a good way for me to remember a fun trip!

Here's the backstory: we are a family of 5- me, DH, DS14, DD11, and DD7- and we discovered on our first trip to Disney in June 2018 that we really love amusement parks! I started planning another trip for us almost as soon as we left and we ultimately scheduled an amazing trip for June of 2020...which clearly didn't happen 😔. In the midst of planning that trip, I considered adding in a few days at Universal, but decided against it since the cost would be MUCH greater to do both parks at the time of year we were going. But I did quite a bit of Universal research at that time and knew that we wanted to go at some point, and that I absolutely wanted to stay at a hotel that offered express passes when we went.

So...in September I started thinking that maybe this would be the year to consider a trip to Orlando for Christmas. It seemed a little crazy to consider going to a crowded place in the midst of a pandemic, and yet I thought that many of our usual holiday gatherings would be canceled and that Christmas wouldn't feel "normal" anyway. Little did I know how bad it would get by December! I looked into prices for Disney and it was OUTRAGEOUS for our family. So I started looking at Universal and found what I considered an amazing deal for RPR and the buy 2 get 2 days free for the parks. DH was a little uncertain about being gone over Christmas and visiting an amusement park during COVID, but I used my persuasive skills 😁 to convince him that this was a deal we couldn't pass up and that this was the year to go! We booked the trip knowing that it could all be canceled and fully refunded even up until the day prior.

We felt pretty sneaky as we didn't tell anyone about the tentative trip except my parents who have a condo in FL that we planned to visit after Universal. We were a little hesitant about seeing them after taking the risk of crowds of people, but they really wanted us to come and visit despite the risk. We have been very careful throughout COVID, though DH is a teacher and I work in healthcare, so we are constantly exposed to (masked) people, and our kids have been in school since August (also all masked). As COVID numbers increased in our area in November and December, we struggled with what to do about the trip. DH felt anxious that it was irresponsible to still consider going. I agreed (a little!), but felt that we could responsibly be irresponsible, if that makes sense 🤣! All of our holiday gatherings were indeed canceled, we did Thanksgiving alone, and no one planned to see us for Christmas except my parents. So again, using all of my persuasive skills, I convinced DH that we should go for it. I still can't believe I actually got him to agree!

Our kids were going to miss one day of school, so we told DS and DD11 a few days prior that we were going to FL (but not about Universal yet) in order for them to take tests and finish school work that they were missing. They were so surprised and excited. We didn't tell DD7 anything as I was afraid she would talk about it at school (she's the most talkative of our kids and slightly oblivious!). I was a little anxious the entire week and even the day of that I would get a phone call that one of us was being quarantined, but thankfully that didn't happen! We all went to school and work as usual on 12/17 and planned to leave for the airport as soon as the kids came home from school. When DD7 came in the door, the other kids told her we were going to FL and she said "No, we're NOT!" I'm not much for surprises, but her reaction was great, and then she was so excited!

We flew Delta and had a good experience- our flights were changed several times prior to the trip and I was able to contact them via text messaging to make additional changes since some of the changes did not work for us. Our family was seated in the same row on all flights and there were many empty seats on all of the planes. I felt reasonably safe with everyone masked, distanced as best as possible, and sanitizing wipes available. Our flight arrived into Orlando very late (11:30pm), so I had arranged for Tony Hinds to pick us up (thanks to all of the recommendations on this forum!!) so that we weren't stressed about figuring out a ride so late at night with tired kids. He was great about communicating with me prior via email and text message. Our flight was a little delayed on arrival, but he picked us up right away when I told him we were there and ready with our luggage. He had a mask on the whole time, which I appreciated 🙂. We've had no trouble using Uber previously, but it was well worth a little extra money to know that a safe ride was pre-arranged.

We arrived at RPR a little after midnight and checked in pretty quickly. The security person took our temperature when we walked in and gave us wristbands for that day (this was a quick and easy routine every day that we stayed there). The room was nice, though pretty small for our family of 5 and very messy after a few days (which I knew it would be!). I was a little disappointed that there was no rollaway or extra bedding there as I had called the day prior to make sure that this would be ready, but I called housekeeping and this was brought to our room within ten minutes. DD7 was quite pleased with the rollaway and made a little nest on it between the bed and window. I know it seems silly, but in order to avoid a major fight between DD11 and DD7 it is best for our family to sleep with the boys in one bed, DD11 and myself in the other, and DD7 alone when we are at a hotel. I'm sure others with kids like ours understand the family dynamics 😆.

We went to bed right away and did not set an alarm for the next day as we figured it was best to get our sleep. The parks didn't open until 9am that day anyway, though if we knew what was awaiting us the next morning, we may have gotten up a little earlier... more to come about that!

Lovely start emarie.......

I`m looking forward to reading along with this one, especially for the time period, we don`t get too many around this time.

I`m reading along.........:flower3:

Thanks for reading along ☺!

On to day #1- 12/18
We woke up a little before 8am, not too well rested, but hard to sleep with so many of us in the room together! We ate some breakfast snacks in the room and made some coffee and tea with the K-cup machine (we brought our own Starbucks because DH has made us coffee snobs😆) before heading out for the day. When I checked in the woman at the front desk told me something about where to go to get to the boats and walking path, but it was a little hard to get our bearings since we had arrived in the dark and had never been to Universal before. We headed out toward the pool area because I thought that was the direction she said and then followed a small crowd to wait in line to get our temperature checked. After this morning we realized that it was much quicker from our room to just go through the lobby and get the temperature check done there, then head to the walking path from the front entrance. Live and learn! Actually, we did a lot of learning this first day...so I hope I can help some others avoid our mistakes!

We headed down the walking path and felt pretty good about things until...ugh, we suddenly found ourselves in a line that went all the way from CityWalk security to under the bridge before CityWalk. Of course we didn't know what this meant at this point and I was hopeful that we weren't as far away as I thought. But we were 😬. I think it was around 8:50am when we started waiting in this line. Both parks were supposed to open at 9am with IOA having 9am early entry. I had a vague idea of starting in IOA and trying to get to Hagrid's before it went virtual, but this was in the end a terrible idea as there were literally thousands of people ahead of us in line! I'm not sure how long it took us just to enter CityWalk, but it was at least 20 minutes and by then the lines for both IOA and UO wrapped WAY out to the middle of CityWalk. It was at this moment that my heart sank and I knew DH was seriously regretting our decision to do this- surrounded by thousands of other mask-wearing people just waiting in line TO GET IN to the park. (Never fear, this was the low point of the trip- after this I promise that we really got in our groove!).

Not to be deterred, we decided to abandon the idea of IOA and headed toward UO where the line was equally long to get in. In the end, I don't think we entered the park until 10am. I have been trying to figure out what made this day so bad for entering the parks- having never been to Universal before I have no idea if this is the norm for a 9am opening, or if it was just that it was a pretty late opening right before the holidays? Regardless, I wish in the end that we had just waited until later to go that day, though I have no idea when the lines finally eased up to enter the parks.

When we finally made it in to the park, we headed straight back to Diagon Alley as we are huge Harry Potter fans and really wanted to see this first, even if it wasn't the best touring plan. It didn't seem as congested as I expected in the park for how long the lines were to enter. My kids were amazed by Diagon Alley and the girls really wanted to go in the Weasley's shop first, so we spent a little time in some of the shops, though they did feel a little crowded in places. We then headed to Escape from Gringotts where I fully redeemed myself by revealing to DH the most amazing of perks, and the saving grace of this trip- the EXPRESS PASS! I will never be able to go to Universal without this again!!

We literally walked straight through the queue (don't worry, we rode this plenty more times to enjoy the details of the queue later) and were immediately at the point of getting on the ride, no wait at all. For some reason DD7 started freaking out when she was handed 3D glasses and crying that she was scared, but we really had no time to discuss this, we were ready to board the ride! The team members asked us if she was ok to ride and very kindly reassured her that it wasn't very scary (I could argue this point as I think for some kids it could be scary). I turned into that mother who basically pushes her child on to the ride and told her she would be fine. And she really was, as evidenced by the fact that I think she rode this ride 5 more times on our trip, although I think she left the glasses off every time as she didn't like things "coming at her." I knew she would be fine- she has always been very brave about rides and loved pretty much all of the Disney rides except Expedition Everest, so I wasn't sure what had gotten into her. I wonder if it was the dark queue and the fact that we rushed right on to the ride as our first experience at Universal. We all really enjoyed the ride though, a great first experience for Harry Potter fans!

After this, we wanted to see Hogsmeade and eat an early lunch at the Three Broomsticks (I had it in my head that this would be the least busy day to do this, no idea if this was really true), so we took the Hogwarts Express over. This is such a great way to go between parks...especially with the Express Pass 😁, though we often waited the longest for this, but still no more than 25 minutes. I'm guessing that this is usually more efficient without social distancing, but they only put one party in each car at this time and I don't know if that is the norm. It was fairly crowded in Hogsmeade and I sent DH to wait in line for the Three Broomsticks while the kids and I went in some shops (he felt much less comfortable in the shops than I did, so this was not actually a punishment for him). It was a little before 11am and I was able to snag a virtual time for Hagrid's for 2:10pm-score! I feel really lucky now that I was able to do this as I was unable to get one any other day, though I didn't try very hard for reasons that will be made clear later on.

I think we waited about 20 min to get seated at the Three Broomsticks and then placed our mobile order once seated and received our food in another 20 minutes. The tables were well spaced, so we felt comfortable eating indoors even though we hadn't eaten in a restaurant since March. It was fairly cold this morning (some of us wore winter hats!), so the girls got hot butterbeer and DS had cold. We liked them both and would probably have had this again during the trip, but $8 for each seems pretty steep for what it is! We're usually pretty thrifty and even though it doesn't make financial sense, we liked having the Disney dining plan previously as it made us not think about every dollar we spent on food. It's totally silly as I know we spent WAY less money on food than we did on that trip, but there was something about having it all pre-paid that made it more enjoyable. But anyway...we enjoyed our food- had ribs, chicken, and fish meals that we shared amongst us.

Then we had a few hours before our virtual time and Hogsmeade was SO crowded, so decided to skip the other Harry Potter rides for now and we headed towards Reign of Kong. I had a vague idea of what rides we wanted to do, but I hadn't made any firm touring plan as I was hoping we didn't need to with the express passes (and this was correct, thankfully!). On the way there, we saw that the Raptor encounter was opening, so got in line for this. DS was a huge dinosaur fan back in the day and we had watched Jurassic Park recently, so I thought this may be fun. Again, DD7 started freaking out and would not even come close to Blue, instead cowering behind DH while the other kids and I had our photos taken. She's really not this way and has watched all kinds of movies with us due to being the youngest (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter), so I have no idea why she was so scared this day! But it remained a theme of the day...after seeing Blue, we headed toward Kong where she flat out refused to enter the queue after seeing the skulls outside. I thought I was going to lose my mind as I could see our vacation going down the drain if she refused to ride anything. Thankfully she became much braver after this moment, but for the time being we convinced her to wait in the queue with us and do the rider swap. Once I was on the ride, I was actually glad that she opted out of it. The rest of us all enjoyed it, but she really would have hated all of the creatures coming at you from the sides and loud noises. So it was all for the best, and then the other kids got to ride again right away with the rider swap.

It was getting close to our virtual time for Hagrid's, so we headed back that way. We still had a little extra time, so we walked past the queue entrance and to Seuss Landing. We decided to ride the High in the Sky Trolley since we were there, and you know, Express Passes so no wait! It was neat to see the view from the Trolley, but DD7 declared in the "most boring roller coaster ever" although there were in fact some scary moments when our car stopped for several minutes on the track and I had a vision of us all having to climb out and be rescued by a crane or something. DS and I have a real fear of heights, so once was enough for us on this ride. I actually thought this area was pretty cute with a lot of good details from the Dr. Seuss books and probably lots of fun with young kids.

Then it was time for Hagrid's! The line wound way back and through a theater that I guess is in the Lost Continent? I'm not really sure what it was, but the line moved constantly and we waited less than 30 minutes until we were boarding the ride. In reading some reviews of the ride since returning, it sounds like there may be a pre-show involving Hagrid and Arthur Weasley that we never saw during our rides- I don't know if this is an element that is changed due to COVID. I was nervous that DD7 would be scared again, but she got in the side car no problem while I rode on the motorcycle. This ride was AMAZING! I couldn't see DD7's face during the ride, so I still didn't know if she liked it, but when we got off she was bouncing up and down excited and not scared at all. Our whole family really enjoyed the ride- it is just so fun with all of the unexpected elements and a joy to ride on for Harry Potter fans, and probably anyone. We noticed new details each time we rode.

We headed to Flight of the Hippogriff next which is definitely short and sweet compared to Hagrid's, but we still liked this for what it was, and with the Express Pass could ride this over and over with hardly any wait. It's a great little coaster to start kids on. I was excited to try Forbidden Journey next and walk through Hogwarts castle in the queue. It seemed like each time we rode this we ventured through a different part of the queue, so I'm not sure if we saw everything, but the detail is certainly amazing. 4 of us thought this ride was great fun, but DH struggles with motion sickness sometimes and this one really did him in. He looked gray when we exited the ride and I felt bad that I hadn't warned him about it, having read that this is a ride that many struggle with. The rest of us rode Flight of the Hippogriff a few times while he sat down and recovered. The rest of the days he took some children's Dramamine that I had brought along as DD7 sometimes has motion sickness and this seemed to help him avoid issues on any other rides, but this was one and done for him for Forbidden Journey 😔. He also felt like he was getting hungry and this didn't help the matter.

We looked at our food options for dinner and decided to go to back to UO. I don't remember why we didn't just find something in IOA to eat, but we took the Hogwarts Express back to UO and explored Diagon Alley a bit more and rode Gringott's one more time (this time DD7 wasn't scared at all) before going to Mel's Diner. Again, we felt very safe here as there was Plexiglass between the tables with good spacing. The burgers, grilled chicken sandwich, and chicken strips were quite good and we were happy with our meal and the service we received with minimal wait. At this point it was after 6pm and the park closed at 7 that night. We were tired from a long day and not much sleep the night before, so we headed back to CityWalk where we stopped at Voodoo Donuts to get some donuts for a snack that night and breakfast the next day. We did the mobile ordering and it was so easy and only took about 10 minutes to get our order. The walk back to our hotel was much more pleasant since we weren't waiting in a crowd of people!

We enjoyed eating some of our donuts and relaxing in our room and made a plan to get up at 6am the next morning to try to make it to IOA early for a 7am early entry. The kids were agreeable to this as we all wanted to ride Hagrid's again if possible and figured this was the best way (see, we did learn something!). Stay tuned to see how it all worked out...

Day#2- 12/19
As planned, the alarm went off at 6am for us to get up, though DH and I had already woken up about 15 minutes before then anyway. The kids did pretty well getting up and ready and we wore our warm clothes again as the temperature that morning was in the high 40s. We're from Michigan, so it didn't bother us much, but I was glad that we brought hats, jackets, and sweatshirts. We quickly ate our donuts and coffee and headed out along the walking path from the front of the hotel. We were giving ourselves high fives when we walked straight up to the security at CityWalk with no line to wait in- this was a little after 6:30am. We ended up waiting in the area just before the ticket entry to get into the park-there were still quite a few other people there for how early it was (all of us crazy theme park people!), but it seemed like no one compared to the previous day. They started letting people in a little before 7 and we were in the park by 7 and walked quickly back to Hagrid's without any issues. Actually, we're pretty competitive people, so we made it our goal to pass as many people as possible on the way there, but I promise that we didn't run 🤣. The queue was just past the entrance to the Hogwart's Express and moving quickly. We were practically jumping we were so excited that our plan worked out! The ride was just as fun the second time, and even more so with the great start to our morning.

After exiting Hagrid's, it was so nice to wander around Hogsmeade before it became really crowded. DD7 was coveting a wand, but DS and DD11 convinced her that this was a waste of money. More on that later as the tides really turned on that one...
I wanted to see the Ollivander's show, but it was too early and the kids weren't interested in waiting on this. DS, DD11 and I rode Forbidden Journey while DH and DD7 did Flight of the Hippogriff a few times.

I'm having trouble remembering what we did next, but I'm thinking we must have walked to SpiderMan to ride as I know we did it this morning and it makes no sense at any other time. We liked this ride, but nothing too special for us. Then I know we took the Hogwart's Express over to Diagon Alley because we were eating ice cream at Florean Fortescue's by 9am that day because there was no line, and why not? The butter beer ice cream was very good. We explored a little more here since it wasn't crowded at all yet. DD7 spotted a stuffed unicorn in the Magical menagerie (I think that's what it was called) that she really needed. I managed to convince her that we could get it later as we were trying to go bagless and I didn't want to deal with a unicorn in a locker. She was quite worried that there may not be any left, but with the shop keeper's cooperation we reassured her that she would save one for her 😁.

We decided to explore the rest of the park, so headed towards Men in Black, which we all enjoyed pretty well except for DD11 who doesn't like any rides with shooting elements as she has inherited my abysmal hand-eye coordination. We went to the Simpson's ride next, which was fun, though it did make DH a little queasy, but nothing compared to Forbidden Journey. DD7 wanted to ride Kang and Kudos, so I went on that with her, but everyone else sat it out.

The park was really starting to feel crowded at this point, but DD11 really wanted to watch Shrek 4D as we had recently watched all of the Shrek movies, so we went to wait in line for that. They are doing a very good job of distancing people in the theater, but because of this, the line for this show is very long- I bet the capacity is 1/3 of the usual and we waited far too long with our express passes for this- I think almost 30 minutes. Thankfully, the queue wrapped around the building and we ended up standing just across from where Donkey, Shrek, and Fiona greet people, so Donkey entertained us for part of our wait. Donkey was very good and funny in responding to people, but that Shrek is just creepy! There is something weird about him as he has a very rigid and fake looking face and doesn't speak. Anyway, the show was good, but probably not worth the wait at this time unless you have big Shrek fans in your family.

The kids were eager to go swimming at the hotel, so we left the park then and grabbed some food at the fast food area of CityWalk- a Burger King burger for DD7 and Panda Express for the rest of us. It was getting really nice out, so we sat at tables outside and ate in the sunshine. It was probably only 68 degrees, but felt warm in the sun and the kids swam in the pool for a few hours while DH and I relaxed. The pool area was very nice and the kids liked the large heated pool and splash pad. We were allowed to have our masks off while seated in the pool area as the chairs were well spaced.

We decided to order a few things from Publix via Instacart as we wanted a few drinks and snacks to have in our room. I've never done this before, but it worked great! I ordered the food and it was delivered within two hours. I did have to meet the woman who delivered the food to accept it as there was some beer in the order and she had to see ID- I think she would have left it at the front desk if there was no alcohol.

We had a reservation for Antojitos at 5pm, so headed out there after relaxing in our room for a bit after the pool. Again, the restaurant felt very safe with plexiglass panels between booths and all staff wearing masks. We always like a restaurant with free chips and salsa and our food was good, though didn't seem like anything special. We didn't order anything very original though, as we were trying to get foods that our kids would like- we had the steak and shrimp fajitas, and the kids had tacos and a quesadilla. No complaints though, it was nice to sit in a real restaurant for the first time in months.

After this, we headed back to UO where priority #1 was getting DD7 her unicorn. Thankfully, the unicorn was still there and was quickly purchased and christened "Sparkle Pixie Hogwarts." Some of us wanted to ride Gringotts, but as Sparkle Pixie was not allowed to ride, DH and DD7 decided to sit this out and caught a puppet show of the Deathly Hallows which DH said was good. DS wanted to do MIB again, so we headed that way where DD11 and I sat out to babysit Sparkle Pixie as we didn't care too much about riding anyway. Somehow DH scored a ridiculous number of points which seemed to make DS mad (teenagers!). We headed toward E.T. and since unicorns were allowed on this ride, we all went together. I think the kids found it a strange ride, but it was fun to ride after watching the movie as a family recently and remembering it from my childhood.

At this point, DD7 was losing steam and wanted to go back to the hotel. The others decided to go ride Fast and the Furious while she and I left the park. She wanted to take the boat as her legs were very tired (and for good reason really, I think we walked 8+miles this day), so I agreed to this. Unfortunately, we just missed getting on the boat that was boarding, so had to wait about 20 minutes for the next one. So this was definitely not a time saver for us; in fact, we only made it back to the hotel a few minutes before the others as they did the ride and then decided to head back as well. But it was a pleasant enough boat road, and seemed to made DD7 happy. DH and DS enjoyed the ride, but DD11 didn't seem to get it. I never did it myself, so I have no idea!

We talked about our plans for the next day and decided that it was well worth it to get up early in order to get in the park quickly and ride Hagrid's. So, the alarm was set for 6am again in hopes of a repeat of today's morning...

Thanks for the detailed report. Enjoying following along as we hope to take our first trip to Universal with DD11 this summer. Also from Michigan so 68 degrees sounds wonderful right about now.

Day #3- 12/20
We woke up just before 6am again and were out the door by around 6:30. It was basically a repeat of the previous morning in terms of the amount of people waiting and we entered the park easily just before 7am and were off Hagrid's by 7:20ish. We still loved this ride so much and I did try several times to get a virtual pass in the afternoons, but only saw times pop up twice after our initial success (still feel very fortunate that we were able to ride this that first day!) and was unable to secure the passes either time. I don't know if it is easier to get a virtual pass with a smaller group and I also think you'd want to try earlier in the day as the passes must have gone very quickly these busy days. I thought it would be fun to ride at night, but it was ok that this didn't happen for us.

The previous night the older kids started to think they may want to get wands. Hmm...strange that they had told DD7 that this was a stupid idea when she wanted one 🙄, but I think they were intrigued by others doing the spells and also the idea of having an authentic looking wand. I told them that if they were to get wands, now was the time to do it so that they still had some time to do the spells before we left Universal. So, we spent some time this morning looking at wands and DS14 struggled with whether he should get one or if it was a babyish thing to do. He always takes a while to decide on spending his money. DD7 was pretty surprised that her older brother and sister were now interested in the wands, and was feeling a little upset that she had spent her money on a unicorn instead. They each had some Christmas money though, so she had some extra as well. The girls ended up buying their wands then and DS decided to save his money (for the moment). The girls walked out of the store and immediately tried to use their wands, which was actually pretty frustrating at first until a team member came to help us. So my advice is to ask for help right away as I think the girls were despairing that they had indeed wasted their money! In our experience, some of the spells were very easy and others were pretty tricky. After DS saw how much fun the girls were having, he decided he DID actually want a wand, so now we have 3 wands 😁.

The kids spent some time doing the spells in Hogsmeade that morning (early morning and evenings were by far the best times for this due to crowds) and then we took the train over to Diagon Alley where they did many spells there. Knockturn Alley is especially fun, and creepy as expected.

We were getting a little hungry, so walked to Starbucks to get some drinks and pastries. There were only a few tables outside and they were all occupied, but I noticed that the Beat Builders had a show in a few minutes just across the street, so we found a curb to sit on and started eating. This was one of the only moments when we felt frustrated about the COVID restrictions as a team member came up to us and told us we couldn't sit there and eat because we weren't at a table. I guess I am glad that they were actually paying attention and enforcing mask wearing, but we were a little annoyed as we wanted to watch the show and there weren't any other people close to us. But we didn't fight it and found a bench nearby, which must have been ok because other people were eating at the benches and no one asked us to stop! The show was fun, with a holiday theme, and good entertainment while we had our snack.

Next we went and rode Transformers, which seems pretty similar to SpiderMan and equally enjoyable for all of us. We headed over to the Mummy next and you will probably not be surprised to hear that DD7 was NOT into this after seeing the queue and hearing that it was a dark coaster. So we did a rider swap again, which really worked very well, though somewhat awkward as we had to wait in the gift shop and then walk all the way back up the exit ramp against traffic to get back to do the swap. We got the impression that this is different than usual right now due to COVID. We all liked the ride and agreed that DD7 would probably like it too, though she didn't want to try it then.

The kids were itching to go swimming again today and it was starting to feel crowded, so we headed out to CityWalk where we got some sushi for DS and DD11 and pizzas and salad from Red Oven for the rest of us. We found a nice table just outside of the pool area to eat our lunch and this was pretty enjoyable as the food was good and the temperature was very pleasant for sitting outside (I think low 70s this day). Then the kids swam for a few hours again (our kids really like swimming, and it is so wonderful that they are all independent swimmers now!).

We had reservations at 5pm at Margaritaville, so headed that way after a relaxing afternoon. The atmosphere in the restaurant was fun and the kids were intrigued by the Jimmy Buffet music videos that were playing. We had fish & chips and fish tacos that were all very good. Again, we had no issues with safety protocols here.

I really want to see the Bourne Stuntacular show and there was one starting about 25 minutes after we finished eating, so we decided to head that way to see if we could get in. When we arrived at the theater they were moving people into the queue and said that everyone who they moved in would be able to attend the next show. We went into the room where the pre-show video was playing and felt like we waited quite a while (we were getting so spoiled by short waits!), even past the time that the show was supposed to start. DD11 was getting really grouchy that we were waiting in SUCH a long line for a show we didn't even know anything about and DD7 started saying she needed to use the bathroom even though we had gone right before we left the restaurant. I really didn't want to leave the line as it seemed like the show should be starting soon, so tried to distract her as that often works. We finally moved into the theater, which was spaced well with 3 seats between parties, and we were in the front row of the back section of seats, which seemed ideal. DD7 was bouncing around on my lap saying how she needed to use the restroom, so I felt bad for the people behind us. The show itself was really good, amazing stunts and use of screen technology, but I was pretty distracted by worrying that DD7 was going to have an accident on my legs 😆, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have! It did inspire me to add the Bourne movies to my watch list...

Of course we had to find a bathroom ASAP after we left the show, then decide what to do next. DD11 was debating if she wanted to try the Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit- she is the bravest of the kids and had been eyeing these rides from afar the past few days. I am not a huge fan of thrills, but DH was agreeable to ride with her if she wanted. I asked her if she wanted to try one of these now, but she declined, so we decided to ride Gringott's, then head to the Minions show. The Minions show was fun, though I think I liked the pre-show just as well! The line was not too long when we went in the evening, but seemed to be really long at other times due to reduced capacity.

We headed back to the hotel then in order to get some good sleep before our last park day. The 6am start was working so well that we decided to stick with our routine for the next day.

Lovely start emarie.......

I`m looking forward to reading along with this one, especially for the time period, we don`t get too many around this time.

I`m reading along.........:flower3:
I appreciate the feedback schumigirl and I have enjoyed reading your reports and gleaned a lot of knowledge from the advice you have given on these boards. So thank you very much!

Thanks for the detailed report. Enjoying following along as we hope to take our first trip to Universal with DD11 this summer. Also from Michigan so 68 degrees sounds wonderful right about now.
68 degrees was certainly wonderful compared to the Michigan weather at Christmas! We have been thankful to have some snow the past few days that the kids can enjoy before heading back to school.
If your DD11is like mine, she will love Universal! I'm happy to answer any questions you have about it. Thanks for following along!

Waiting for your report to continue now!
Happy New Year

Whoops I see many posts were added since I had to get laundry into dryer! My mistake,I apologize

Last edited:
Waiting for your report to continue now!
Happy New Year

Whoops I see many posts were added since I had to get laundry into dryer! My mistake,I apologize
No worries! I'm sad that you deleted most of your post as it was all helpful info, so feel free to re-post if you want 😁
I figured I was posting at the same time as you were and I was going to tell you to stay tuned for the rest as we did many of the suggestions you offered!
And you are so lucky to be local, but RPR is a lovely resort and so convenient to walk to the parks and have the express pass included, so you should go for an overnight get-away sometime!
Now, on to prepare the report of our last day...

Day #4-12/21- our last park day!
We got up and ready at the same time and were heading to the parks by 6:30am. I think the holiday crowds were really starting to increase by this point as we had to wait in a short line to get through security into CityWalk and then noticed that people were already lined up to the bridge to IOA. We had a moment of concern that we wouldn't be able to ride Hagrid's as quickly as the other days, but as we approached the line of people, a team member gestured to us to head to the far left turnstiles and we literally went right up and scanned our tickets and were IN! DH called it a Christmas miracle- there were still many people waiting for the other lines, but somehow we really lucked out and bypassed them all and were in the park well before 7am. So, on to our last ride on Hagrid's- it was worth it every time to get up early for this ☺

After this, we made a plan for the rides that we wanted to repeat and the few things that we hadn't done and still wanted to do. We all wanted to do the Harry Potter rides at least once more, so we did Flight of the Hippogriff a few times. I'm pretty sure we did Flight around 20 times in total this trip- it is so convenient that it is across from FJ, and the line was never long with the express pass.

It was a little bit before 8am and DD11 had decided that she was going to do the Hulk- I checked and noticed that it opened at 8, so she and DH decided to head that way and try to be at the front of the line. DS was on the fence about riding it- he is much more hesitant about new things, so wanted the others to check it out first. DS, DD7, and I did FJ, then started heading toward the Hulk to meet up with the others. While we were walking, DH sent me a text that the Hulk was really fun, very smooth and not very scary, and that DS would definitely like it, so he was eager to try it after hearing this info. So DH, DS, and DD11 went to ride the Hulk again while DD7 and I checked out the Seuss area a little more. It was nearly empty there, so we were able to ride the carousel, the one fish two fish ride, and the Cat in the Hat in quick succession. These are fun rides for younger kids, with great theming, but DD7 wasn't too excited about them after experiencing so many thrill rides this trip. I think she liked the carousel best!

We met up with the others and DS was very excited as he absolutely loved the Hulk, and he really wanted me to go on it again with him. I told him I would as it isn't every day that your teenage son wants to hang out with you ☺. We grabbed some pastries at Croissant Moon and then DS and I went to the Hulk while the others finished eating. DD11 didn't want to ride again right away after twice in a row, so stayed with DH and DD7. The line was quick with the express passes and I actually really enjoyed the ride- as DH had said, it was very smooth and only scary in a fun way.

After this, DS and DD11 were feeling so brave that they wanted to try Rip Ride Rockit. So we jumped on the Hogwarts Express and headed toward RRR. DH was willing to ride with them, so they all headed that way. DD7 and I thought we may try the Minions again, but the line looked so long that it didn't seem worth it. We noticed that Donkey and the gang were out across from Shrek, so we headed over that way where DD7 asked Donkey where to find Puss in Boots. He told us that Puss was in the area with the Macy's balloons- I had forgotten that this was even there, so I was glad for the reminder! We headed over that way and it was the perfect thing for DD7 and I to do without the other kids- she was thrilled to see Gru, Puss, and the other characters who were there, and I think my older kids would have made this less enjoyable by telling her that it was stupid. The balloons were fun to see as well, and DD7 and I had fun taking some pictures of them and each other with the characters. DD7 wanted to go back and tell Donkey that we had found Puss 🙂 , so we did that and then went and watched to see if we could spot the others on RRR down past the Jimmy Fallon area. We couldn't, but they were off soon, so we did Jimmy Fallon next since we were nearby. We don't watch the Tonight Show, but we all thought it was pretty fun and the queue was nice with the games for the kids to play and clips of the show to watch. Oh, and they all liked RRR, though DS and DD11 said they were a little scared they might fall out of the seats on the initial ascent and DH felt that it was much jerkier than the Hulk.

The kids wanted to swim, so we left the park and grabbed some lunch in CityWalk- sandwiches from the Bread Box for some of us and Panda Express again for others. We didn't make any dinner reservations for this night as we wanted to try the Crepe place in the park and thought we'd try this for dinner. After the kids swam and we spent a little time in our room, then we went back to UO. The kids brought their wands to do some spells for the last time. DD7 had decided that she wanted to ride the Mummy, so we headed there. Of note, we hardly had to use lockers on this trip as I wore a very stylish 😉 fanny pack that I didn't have to take off for anything except the Hulk, and we didn't bring anything else with us. But we did need the lockers a few times for the wands and this seemed quick and easy the few times we used them. Anyway, DD7 declared that the Mummy was not scary, except for the parts with fire, and was happy that she rode it. She really wanted to do Gringott's one more time, but when we got there the line for the express pass went all the way back to the lockers, so we told her we'd come back later. The kids did a few spells and then we headed to the Crepe stand. DH and I shared a brisket crepe and strawberry hazelnut crepe, DD11 had the strawberry hazelnut as well, and the other kids had the Oreo crepe. Not exactly a healthy dinner, but we liked all of them, though we definitely shouldn't have gotten so many dessert crepes- the kids could have easily shared theirs as they were very rich and sweet. The crepes took quite a while to make, so if the line is long you may be in for a long wait!

We headed back to Diagon Alley and the line for Gringott's was much more manageable now, so we rode that one last time. Then we headed to IOA on the Hogwarts Express and the kids did some spells and shopping in Hogsmeade. The Hogwart's castle had the holiday projections showing and this was so beautiful and festive. The only thing left that DS and DD11 wanted to do was ride the Hulk again and DD7 wanted to do FJ, so we split up to do this. After DD7 and I rode FJ, we decided to ride Flight of the Hippogriff and the views of the park and the castle were amazing at night, so we rode a couple of times before heading to meet up with the others and head back to our hotel.

It was a great last day of our trip and we felt like we experienced most of what the parks had to offer despite the busy time of year and COVID changes. We were all really happy this night and planned to finally sleep in a little the next day!

I'll add a few final thoughts as well, thanks for reading along 😁

Sounds like a great first trip to Universal! My kids are older now, but I’m not gonna tell you how many wands we have as one is a huge Potterfan and has a couple collectible wands :-)
The savory crepes are GREAT!
Hagrids is one of the best coasters around. Even my son- NOT a thrill ride fan- did a couple times. For comparison he refuses to do Mummy again.
Sounds like good weather too! Did you like the lobby smell? My family thinks I’m weird when I walk in the door and try to take deep breaths (harder with a mask but not impossible). It’s my favorite next to Contemporary!
LOVE Suessland during the holidays!
Express is super handy during busy times, but I’d bet the kids would love Cabana Bay too- two great pools plus lazy river. Even the bowling alley is fun. My middle kid and I have the premiere pass that has the express after 4, so when just her and me we will stay at a lower tier hotel.
Did you guys do Dr Doom? Or get a chance to see Horror Makeup show - it’s not really scary, more funny and how films are made. One of my favorite shows! Well next to Beat builders (and I’m not gonna tell you how many pics I have of them :P). So glad Universal is keeping the live entertainment!

Sounds like a great first trip to Universal! My kids are older now, but I’m not gonna tell you how many wands we have as one is a huge Potterfan and has a couple collectible wands :-)
The savory crepes are GREAT!
Hagrids is one of the best coasters around. Even my son- NOT a thrill ride fan- did a couple times. For comparison he refuses to do Mummy again.
Sounds like good weather too! Did you like the lobby smell? My family thinks I’m weird when I walk in the door and try to take deep breaths (harder with a mask but not impossible). It’s my favorite next to Contemporary!
LOVE Suessland during the holidays!
Express is super handy during busy times, but I’d bet the kids would love Cabana Bay too- two great pools plus lazy river. Even the bowling alley is fun. My middle kid and I have the premiere pass that has the express after 4, so when just her and me we will stay at a lower tier hotel.
Did you guys do Dr Doom? Or get a chance to see Horror Makeup show - it’s not really scary, more funny and how films are made. One of my favorite shows! Well next to Beat builders (and I’m not gonna tell you how many pics I have of them :P). So glad Universal is keeping the live entertainment!
It definitely was a wonderful trip. It's adding to the fun to remember how great it was by writing this 😁
It's interesting that you mention the lobby smell at RPR- I wondered if I noticed something the last day when we were waiting to get picked up and I remembered that I had read elsewhere about different smells for different resorts at Disney, but couldn't remember if this was true for Universal as well. It will be something to pay better attention to if we stay there again. I think we'd like Cabana Bay as well, but I really don't think I can live without the express passes now that I know how nice they are!!

We did not do Dr. Doom- 3 of us are afraid of heights and not interested. I asked DD11 if she wanted to try it as I thought she may be the only one who would like it, but she wasn't that interested either and then we didn't really think about it again. We also missed the Horror makeup show- I had intended to do this, but we never got around to it. Next time!

Finally got round to sitting down and reading it all through......:surfweb:

What a lovely report! You all certainly managed to do an awful lot of things and sounds like you enjoyed it all. And managed to enjoy some wonderful pool time too. It`s always nice when you can manage that, some don`t.

Love the ice cream so early.......::yes::

You tried some lovely food options and glad to hear you enjoyed the crepes, I haven`t heard any negatives about them yet.

I so enjoyed reading of your time there with your family, and so glad you enjoyed RPR so much and Hagrid`s too......just the most amazing ride!

Thank you for taking the time to write it.......it is full of info and I`m sure it`ll be of use to many reading along......:wave2:

And oh yes, the hotels all have their own unique lobby scent......I love RP and Sapphire Falls.......💜

that was an awesome TR! Thanks for taking the time and sharing all the fun. Our last US/IoA trip was late 2018, and I SOOOO want to go back. DH loves RPH. Glad to know the rollaway worked well too, incase we ever have a 5th. We still haven't done the interactive wands, and would love to. y'all sure got A LOT of rides/fun packed in. this thread totally made me want to start looking at another trip!

Departure Day- 12/22- and some final thoughts
We slept in until a little before 8am and then started packing up. I'm glad we stayed the extra night as it enabled us to enjoy the park one last day, and then have a good night of sleep before driving to Naples to visit my parents. The best and most convenient deal that I could find for a rental car was through Avis at Endless Summer-Dockside. I initially thought that maybe one of us could take a bus over there, but we truly never even saw any buses during our visit and had no idea where they were located! It looked like it was just a little over a mile away anyway, so DH decided to run there while I finished packing up. He said that it was a short run, though the roads were not exactly ideal for pedestrians, so maybe not the best plan, but it seemed to work 🙂 .

It was a little amazing what a disaster our room was by this point- we aren't the messiest people, but 5 people in a small space with no housekeeping due to COVID led to quite a load of trash and towels. I'm sure we could have asked for someone to take care of this at some point, but you know, priorities! And of course, it seemed like we had accumulated way more stuff that we had arrived with. Thankfully, the kids helped me with getting it all together and down to the lobby to meet DH with the car by around 9am.

It was nice to have a few very relaxing days in Naples at the beach and pool after going to the parks. We stayed in FL until 12/26 and then flew home where the kids and DH had another week of break before heading back to school today. Thankfully we had some snow the past few days, which kept the kids occupied and happy!

Now, here are some final thoughts.
Regarding traveling during COVID:
-we struggled with whether to take this trip or not and are so glad that we decided to go for it. I know that it could be considered risky during this time, but we took all the precautions we could and never felt unsafe. I am not usually a paranoid person and we did use way more hand sanitizer and wipes that I would have before 2020. It's been 2 weeks since our last park day and we are all healthy!
-wearing masks did not bother us at all. The weather was ideal for this as it was between 40s-70s when we were at universal. We are used to wearing masks all day at school and work, so this was no different than the norm for our family.
-we didn't notice many people who were non-compliant with masks- a few nose-peekers, but otherwise everyone seemed to be wearing them appropriately, and trying to keep social distance when possible in lines.
-it was impossible to social distance in many places in the parks due to the sheer number of people there. This didn't worry me as we were never in prolonged contact with anyone and constantly moving unless waiting in line (and even then, the lines seemed to constantly move except when waiting for the shows).

Regarding the hotel (RPR):
-the room was small for 5 people, but I knew this going in, and well worth the price I paid for a place to sleep and 5 express passes
-the lobby and pool area are lovely
-we didn't eat at any of the restaurants, so can't speak for those
-we loved the location since we could walk to CityWalk and the parks in just a few minutes
-while there was no housekeeping due to COVID, we were able to get extra towels and coffee supplies quickly when we called the front desk

Regarding the parks:
-we enjoyed our time at both Universal parks and will definitely be back someday. We spent the majority of our time in the Harry Potter areas because that was our favorite and what we most wanted to see. We'd love to visit Volcano Bay sometime as well!
-we did not do any of the water rides because it wasn't hot and we didn't bring ponchos or want to get our shoes wet. We debated this a few times, but the timing was not right to do them as we thought we'd need to return to the hotel right after to change. We did see some people coming off the rides soaked, and walked past a dripping wet family heading back to the hotel one of the days where a little girl told us "Don't do the water rides!!!" I'm sure that these are very fun in the summer.
-I got our tickets through Undercover Tourist and when I linked them to my account in the app I think it asked me to name the purchaser with each ticket- I misunderstood this and should have listed each ticket with a different person's name, but instead all of the tickets were under my name which made it confusing at first to keep track of whose fingerprint went with each ticket! We had to memorize the last two digits of each ticket to keep track of this, which was not a big deal in the end, but I just wanted others to know so that they don't make my mistake 🙂. No matter what I did, I could not get the names changed in the app after the tickets were linked.
-it worked well for our family to do the parks early in the morning and then take an afternoon break each day. This was very easy since we could walk and were not dependent on transportation, and because the park hours were long during most of our days.
-I feel very fortunate that we were able to ride Hagrid's as many times as we did- since we have returned, I read on a different forum that the outdoor coasters do not open until the temperature is above a certain point (I think the person said high 40s), so we really lucked out on this as it was definitely right on the edge of that a few of our mornings!
- mobile ordering worked well for our family when we used this
-we had never been to the parks before, so didn't know any different from normal with COVID changes, though I would imagine that the lines go much more quickly when they are filling every seat with single riders. Once again, the express pass saved us so much time waiting!

We feel very blessed and privileged to have had the ability and opportunity to take this trip. It made for a wonderful break from reality, and an enjoyable Christmas in a year without any normal gatherings. I love to plan trips and travel and I appreciate all of the the tips that I learned from this forum as it made our trip so much smoother. I'm happy to answer questions if there are any! It will probably be a few years before we are able to get back to Universal, but I'm a little addicted to this site now, so you may be seeing me around ☺

Finally got round to sitting down and reading it all through......:surfweb:

What a lovely report! You all certainly managed to do an awful lot of things and sounds like you enjoyed it all. And managed to enjoy some wonderful pool time too. It`s always nice when you can manage that, some don`t.

Love the ice cream so early.......::yes::

You tried some lovely food options and glad to hear you enjoyed the crepes, I haven`t heard any negatives about them yet.

I so enjoyed reading of your time there with your family, and so glad you enjoyed RPR so much and Hagrid`s too......just the most amazing ride!

Thank you for taking the time to write it.......it is full of info and I`m sure it`ll be of use to many reading along......:wave2:

And oh yes, the hotels all have their own unique lobby scent......I love RP and Sapphire Falls.......💜
Thanks so much for reading! Here's hoping that you'll be able to get to Universal in 2021 ☺

that was an awesome TR! Thanks for taking the time and sharing all the fun. Our last US/IoA trip was late 2018, and I SOOOO want to go back. DH loves RPH. Glad to know the rollaway worked well too, incase we ever have a 5th. We still haven't done the interactive wands, and would love to. y'all sure got A LOT of rides/fun packed in. this thread totally made me want to start looking at another trip!
Thanks for reading! The room was definitely packed with all of us and the rollaway, but for a place to sleep it worked just fine. I'm hoping the kids will use their wands again if we return...and that they don't insist on new ones each time 😆

Thanks for the report! I am trying to decide if we keep our trip scheduled for February.
I hope my report gave you an idea of what to expect, though hopefully it will be much less crowded in February. If you have any questions that I can answer to help you make your decision, let me know! It felt really weird to be so uncertain about a trip until the last minute, so I think I know what you are going through...😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter