A question for those who have watched The Walking Dead

Dr.Girlfriend

DIS Veteran
About how long was Rick in the coma?

I'm thinking that by the look of the wilted flowers, at least two weeks. Longer? Less time?

And for the life of me, I can't understand how in this show and 30 Days Later a single person in the hospital can survive a zombie apocalypse while being in a coma. ;)

I'm thinking that by the look of the wilted flowers, at least two weeks. Longer? Less time?

I think that sounds about right--perhaps a little less, the bodies didn't appear to be extremely decomposed.

And for the life of me, I can't understand how in this show and 30 Days Later a single person in the hospital can survive a zombie apocalypse while being in a coma. ;)

:lmao: I wondered the same thing. Apparently, zombies just don't do hospitals.

The original comic book never gave a time frame that Rick was in a coma for, so your guess is as good as any. Perhaps later in the series that will go into a time frame. In the comic you do get a little back ground as to why Rick was left in the hospital. ( I won't spoil it for you :) )

Now to why Rick was left untouched by the zombies in the hospital. ( This is my theory not fact. ) In the comic and also shown on the show the zombies are attracted by noise. A man in a coma does not make loud noises, so the zombies would just walk right by his door. Zombies also pick up on the living by the way they smell. A man that has been in a coma for a while with no one to wash him will smell rather rank, so perhaps the zombies could not tell. :rotfl:

As I said before that is just my theory. I will tell you this. If the T.V. show follows the comic. It will be a great show.

Edit: Thinking back I think the comic said it was a month between the time Rick was shot until he woke up. I just don't remember. The 1st comic came out in 2003, and my memory just can't remember back that far. Wish I knew where my comics were.

Hah! The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that the doctors/nurses/security guys fended off the initial onslaught of zombies (for example, locking them behind that door with the blood-painted warning) and then fled; overlooking the coma-guy because he wasn't yelling for help.

The zombies don't really seem to be bright enough to go searching through the intricate corridors of a hospital looking for one victim. They seem to be attracted to sound/movement, neither of which was going on in the Deputy's room...

Zombies also pick up on the living by the way they smell. A man that has been in a coma for a while with no one to wash him will smell rather rank, so perhaps the zombies could not tell. :rotfl:

As I said before that is just my theory. I will tell you this. If the T.V. show follows the comic. It will be a great show.

As someone who can only watch mostly on FF I don't catch much of the show ;) However, I stopped at a safe part and the guy who rescued him said the bandage was "pretty rank". I think your theory holds water!

As someone who can only watch mostly on FF I don't catch much of the show ;) However, I stopped at a safe part and the guy who rescued him said the bandage was "pretty rank". I think your theory holds water!

Agree, he probably smelled "dead".:thumbsup2

Good points! :)

Jabber, I've read the series and always wondered how long he was in a coma as well because I don't remember seeing him looking at the wilted flowers. And in 30 Days Later, Cillian Murphy was in the coma for 30 days...so I suspect someone could technically survive that long without fluids/food from IVs?

I do wonder why no zombies tried to open the door though. In the first episode, the Mom zombie was messing with the door knob trying to get in. BTW, that whole scene freaked me out the most. :scared1:

I am just totally into this tv series. I really dont like scary movies but this is not what Id call a scary movie.......very suspenseful:eek: But I wish they were longer in length or one more than once a week !!:rolleyes1

I am just totally into this tv series. I really dont like scary movies but this is not what Id call a scary movie.......very suspenseful:eek: But I wish they were longer in length or one more than once a week !!:rolleyes1

Well this is a good news/bad news for you.

The Series was only set for 6 episodes. Ending on Dec 5th, but the series had huge numbers so AMC renewed it for a 13 episode season 2. Just don't know how long between season 1 ending and season 2 starting. Hope it won't be long. Here is a link about the renew.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...e-walking-dead-renewed-for-second-season.html

Well this is a good news/bad news for you.

The Series was only set for 6 episodes. Ending on Dec 5th, but the series had huge numbers so AMC renewed it for a 13 episode season 2. Just don't know how long between season 1 ending and season 2 starting. Hope it won't be long. Here is a link about the renew.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...e-walking-dead-renewed-for-second-season.html

That's great news! I just got caught up with both episodes and I love it so far! It has great potential and I hope it continues to get better.

I do wonder why no zombies tried to open the door though. In the first episode, the Mom zombie was messing with the door knob trying to get in. BTW, that whole scene freaked me out the most. :scared1:

ME TOO! :scared: All I kept saying was GET AWAY FROM THE PEEPHOLE, YOU MORON!!:eek:

I asked my DH the question about how long Rick was in the coma (he's maybe the world's biggest Walking Dead fan) and all that was stated was that he was in a coma for three weeks before the Zombie Apocalypse hit. It's not certain how long after he remained in a coma, but it couldn't have been too long (without any fluids, how can a person live?).

I just started watching this today! Good show so far, glad to see it's been picked up already

Not sure how long Rick was in a coma:confused3

But, Shane did go back to rescue him. Too many zombies, they wouldn't have made it out, per Shane. So Shane used a gurney and blocked the door to Rick's room. That's why the zombies never bothered Rick. Plus the fact that Rick didn't make any noise.

But, Shane did go back to rescue him. Too many zombies, they wouldn't have made it out, per Shane. So Shane used a gurney and blocked the door to Rick's room. That's why the zombies never bothered Rick. Plus the fact that Rick didn't make any noise.

I thought I remembered Shane putting something in front of the door when he left Rick. I just asked DH (ultimate fan boy) and he said he is pretty sure that was the case and you just confirmed it.

I've asked DH a dozen times how long Rick was left alone and in a coma and he said Kirkman never specified. :confused3

I thought I remembered Shane putting something in front of the door when he left Rick. I just asked DH (ultimate fan boy) and he said he is pretty sure that was the case and you just confirmed it.

I've asked DH a dozen times how long Rick was left alone and in a coma and he said Kirkman never specified. :confused3
Rick was in the coma for several months

:thumbsup2

Shane tries to rescue rick but then thinks its hopeless so he puts a bed infront of his room so that the zombies couldnt get him. Im a nurse and of course I wonder how come when he wakes up there isnt a "mess", did he not go to the bathroom? He didnt have a catheter. Also I would think he would have pressure ulcers. And most people dont wake up and just start walking.... My DH thinks that I way overthink it, I cant help it...:rotfl2: I do love the show though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter