A question about flying and meds

ZPT1022

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Dr
I have multiple medical conditions and multiple daily meds. I use a pill sorter to keep everything straight and so I don't forget any doses. Can I travel with my pill sorted in the sorter as long as I also have the prescription bottles with me? Or is that a big no-no? Also, do I need to have a copy of the prescription from the dr, or just the info from the pharmacy on the front of the bottle is sufficient?

I travel with my DD's meds in the pill sorter and I take the bottles with the prescription labels with us just in case, but it's never been a problem. I think if you were flying internationally, you have to make sure you have prescription bottles, but domestically I don't think you even need that. And there isn't a need to have a copy of the script.

thank you! I'll bring the bottles because we'll be there long enough that I will need to refill, plus just in case I drop a pill or something (I have tremors), but I'm glad to know I can bring them all sorted out. There is no way I can remember all that ;)

Yep, same here. Most of our WDW trips are longer than 7 days so I have to bring the bottles anyway. And DD has been known to drop a pill or two down the sink. I have to keep hers sorted so I keep it all straight.

I fly with my meds in the 7 day pill organizers all the time (really 8 day organizers since I used the Vera Bradley ones and they have an extra slot for an eighth day). I never take the bottles with me or even a copy of my prescriptions. Have never had a problem. The only thing I even take out my carry on is my Victoza pen and it's needles, but even it has never received a second look by TSA. Besides my routine meds, I also carry other meds like Excedrin, Motrin, Darvocet, Peptobismol tablets, Colace, Antivert, etc in a second pill organizer. It too has never received a second glace. TSA is interested in liquids and gels not medications. Now if I was traveling internationally I would carry my bottles and scripts, but not for domestic travel.

My husband takes more pills than I do, so has one of those large 30 day size ones. He has never pulled his out of his bag, nor does he ever carry any pill bottles or copies of prescriptions. My mom flies with her 7 day pill organizers, as well as several bottles of insulin and all her insulin supplies (lancets, needles, glucometer, etc). The only thing she ever takes out are her insulin and her syringes. She too does not carry any pill bottles or prescriptions and has never received even a comment or a look.

The following is directly from the TSA website (The bolding was added by me.)

All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We do not require that your medications be labeled.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.
In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.
Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

I flew last month and had liquid medications that were over the allowance (DD take zantac liquid and DS takes an antihistamine both are prescriptions with labels on the outside) - I just took the bottles out of my carry on and stuck the bottles in the bin with my ziplock of other liquids. I didn't have to alert them to it...they saw them and it wasn't a big deal

Flying out of Birmingham we always justg tell them that we have medications ( aa whole carry on bag full, with many liquid). They will x ray the bag and then look inside of it and we are on our way. When we fly our of Orlando they do the same, but with all of the liquid meds they take them to this box like machine and put them inside. They said it just test for explosives. It took us a few minutes longer to get through, but it was not too bad.

I never carry my prescription bottles for my daily meds. I have an extra pill organizer that I label with the day and time so I can take enough for the entire trip. And I always have two extra days just in case of travel delays. I also have two Victozza pens usually - the one in use and the next one. Don't require refrigeration because they are used up in 10 days but have a life of 30 days after the first use.

The pills I don't take all the time like the Percocet, Vicodin, lorazepam etc are in their original prescription bottles. Not for airline reasons, just because that is how I always carry them in my purse.

When I am in the parks, I do put the narcotics in the room safe. I've never had a theft problem and really don't anticipate one but I don't want to have to get refills on those medications when I am away from home if a theft ever did happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter