A Princess Birthday Surprise at POR w/ Royal Room Included...TRex for Lunch

Honestly I'm usually a value person but as it works out renting points is not that much more expensive so we have decided that after our trip in January 2014 we will start renting points. We have narrowed it down to the Villas at Grand Floridian or the Villas at Old Key West. My choice is Grand Flo for the November 2014 trip but really it will all come down to availability :) OKW is our second place option because of the two queen beds. My mother is coming with me daughter and I for that trip and we really chose those two because of the sleeping options!

Great update on the boats! I love how Disney incorporates so many forms of transportation into their parks. I always find the boat rides to be so relaxing, I wouldn't mind being on one of those right now!

Kids are funny. When our youngest was five she wore a Goofy hat every day of our WDW trip. She wouldn't go anywhere without it. It is one of my favorite memories of that trip. :goodvibes

I'm glad it wasn't as big as Jesse's hat. ;)

:goodvibes That's a sweet memory! Hope you got lots of cute pictures:thumbsup2 5 is a great age for kids at Disney because they still really believe that everything there is for real. Just the other day, Faith said that when she's older, she's going to be a princess and Jesse can be Goofy. Well, Jesse, in his most serious voice replies, "You're crazy! There's no way I can be Goofy. NOBODY can be Goofy because he's Goofy!" Faith looked at me completely confused and Jesse just shrugged his shoulders and walked off. Then it hit me - he still believes that Goofy is "real"! Who knew?!

Yes, I sure do remember all those shirts I packed :laughing: and I'm trying to cut down and not over-pack this trip :rotfl2: I can't even say it with a straight face, :sad2: I know I will. It's hopeless. That's for sure. I envy people who can ::yes::
Doing my wdw l:laundy: now. I'm going to try to have all my clothing laid out by Monday. And washed. Because of our renos going on downstairs I don't know how long I'll have a laundry room functioning.
Problem is that I'm still wearing my shorts etc. guess I can just leave a couple of shorts & tees to wear around here, then wash before I leave, at a friends if I must!!

Packing for Disney is hard for us, too. You need clothes to wear to the parks, and sometimes 2 changes of clothes per day if you're like us :upsidedow, you need clothes for signature restaurants, bathing suits, clothes to just bum around the room/resort in - crazy, isn't it?! Guess we might be over-thinking things a bit :laughing: Our trip to Cancun was much easier to pack for - bathing suits, and a few more bathing suits :laughing:

Hi, I am new at this. Just subscribed to the forum. I would like to let you know that I have been following your trip reports (read them all in 3 days). I would just like to say that I love reading you and I can't wait to read the rest.

:thanks: You're very kind! And welcome to the DisBoards. But be careful- it can become very addictive ;) As you know, there is a wealth of information about Disney on these threads - more knowledge than you'll ever need :laughing:

Well, it is nice of you to time your TR around my vacation. ::yes::

Thought you would like that :laughing: Just for you!

We are doing a ton of character meals and a ton of signatures - the best of both worlds. We always do CRT on our first day, and this trip will be no exception. We are also doing BOG, Flying Fish, Jiko, Artist Point, etc. We are both really excited! :cool1:

LOVE LOVE love CRT for breakfast! Is it not a great way to start a MK morning?!! LOVE Jikos, too. We had a really nice experience there. Now, you know you're going to have to do some sort of TR - right?! We have BOG for dinner, Flying Fish and Artist Point on our list of must-dos for our next trip, and I need a full report, please :snooty:

It's a disease - but at least we know ourselves! Changing resorts will absolutely make me stress out less, so I know it was the right choice. Plus, I love that early-morning walk to DHS. :love:

Like I always say, when on vacation you better pay for what you want and be happy. Second best will just not do ;) Those morning walks sound great. That's how I felt about the CR - loved walking to and from the MK!!!

Honestly I'm usually a value person but as it works out renting points is not that much more expensive so we have decided that after our trip in January 2014 we will start renting points. We have narrowed it down to the Villas at Grand Floridian or the Villas at Old Key West. My choice is Grand Flo for the November 2014 trip but really it will all come down to availability :) OKW is our second place option because of the two queen beds. My mother is coming with me daughter and I for that trip and we really chose those two because of the sleeping options!

Yep! That renting points things sounds like a winner. I've been looking at David's Rentals quite a bit, and you can definitely save some money. The GFVs look AWESOME and definitely on my list of must-tries, too. Even the studio will be big enough for the 5 of us. Bet it will be hard to snag, though. I've heard that OKW is super spacious, and bigger than the rest of the DVCs. Have you done AoA, yet? Looks really cute.

Great update on the boats! I love how Disney incorporates so many forms of transportation into their parks. I always find the boat rides to be so relaxing, I wouldn't mind being on one of those right now!

No kidding?! Right?! :rolleyes: And here I sit looking at a cloudy day instead :laughing: Will my 2014 trip ever get here??!!

Very true. We have a sig TS or 2 and GF Tea, since Ashley was sick last Aug and missed it. So Disney777 & I had to rough it alone :rolleyes2 we made a other ADR for this trip, so Ashley can try it!! And in aug it's def. a 2 change a day kinda trip.
It's prob. A good thing I have to fly, so can't take my big suitcase, or 2 checked, so flight restrictions sorta keeps me under control. Somewhat :rolleyes1

Day 3
TRex for Lunch
Part 1

We made it to DTD after a very relaxing river boat cruise down the Sassagoula River.

After years of seeing Stitch, I just learned that he shoots out water! I had no idea!?!

As always, the kids wanted to make a quick (or not so quick) stop by the Lego store.

Jesse spotted a souvenir. He said this is what he wanted to take home –

After we saw the price of this “souvenir”, we decided against it… Wishful thinking, Jesse! :laughing:

A kinda of cool activity for the kids (and dads, too) are the Lego car races. What I thought would take a few minutes seemed like an eternity, but the kids (and dad, too) had fun, and that’s what counts.

Each of my family members constructed some sort of moving Lego machine with wheels. Not sure who won the race ;) There was a disagreement on the actual winner.

Time to move on and get some lunch!

Upon arrival at TRex, the hostess outside checked us in then sent us inside to another line with another hostess. Not real sure, but I think we were in a line for reservations and the other people standing around were walk-ups.

Just a few facts about TRex :thumbsup2….(taken from the Disney Website)

T-REX is a dinosaur-themed family eatery serving lunch and dinner amid prehistoric creatures, fun displays and merchandise in Downtown Disney area.

Cuisine: American
Experience: Special & Unique Dining
Service: A la Carte
Price Level: $15 to $35.99
Times: 11am-until??? (seasonal hours)

The restaurant is really quite large with tons of tables. There are several areas that you can opt to dine (just make sure you request at the outside hostess stand)

The first time we ate here, we were seated in the

This time we were seated in

Another really cool area to sit is the

This fish tank has been featured on the TV show “Tanked”. Really neat to see how they made it!

Continued to next post!

Continued from previous post!

Day 3
TRex - Part 2

And another room to enjoy

Every 15 minutes or so, the lights start to flicker and the animals go wild (much like Rain Forest Café) except this is a meteor shower&not a rain storm. Rooms change colors, too&very cool. If youre not into loud, you might want to stay clear of TRex&not exactly what I would call quiet and romantic ;)

Time to eat! For an appetizer, we enjoyed Dexter's Dual Dip a combination of shrimp and artichoke dip and spinach and pepper jack queso served with tortilla chips.

The Main Course

Guac-asaurus Burger - A beef patty with guacomole, a fried onion ring, pickles, lettuce, tomato, Pepper Jack cheese, and crispy bacon VERY very good!:thumbsup2

Bill had the Tribal Tacos - choice of tempura fried or blackened grilled Mahi Mahi wrapped in corn tortillas and topped with red cabbage, fresh cilantro, pico de gallo and avocado cream sauce. Bill said it was just ok. The fish wasnt that tasty, kinda mushy :(

Faith and Jesse had the kids meal nothing special, just your basic kids meal. And notice Jesse still has this hat on! :laughing:

My children did NOT forget about this place that is located inside TRex.

This isnt one of those look and leave things...so if you're in a hurry and have small children, run the other way! ::yes::

Actually it was kinda cute. They had a place that you could pan for gold/gems. Of course you had to buy the kit to do it - I did manage to bypass that money pit once again.

TRex is a great place for lunch (with kids). Not sure I would dine there if it was just Bill and me ;) Lots of fun for families. Dont expect too much from the food, though.

Well it was time to head back to POR via the boat :( This very mini-birthday surprise trip was finally coming to a close and no one was ready to leave. After our river cruise back to the resort, we said our goodbyes

The kids were very tired, but also very sad (and me, too). Leaving Disney is always such a downer, but at least we know there will be a next time.

Before we made it into Orlando, Jesse was fast asleep!

Even though it was a super quick trip, we all had a wonderful time together! The resort, weather, and friends we met were absolutely perfect! Thanks so much for allowing our family to share a little piece of Disney with each of you.

We'll be back next June with another family adventure to the World! Until next time... :wave:

Heather

Hi, I am new at this. Just subscribed to the forum. I would like to let you know that I have been following your trip reports (read them all in 3 days). I would just like to say that I love reading you and I can't wait to read the rest.

WELCOME TO THE DISBOARDS!!!!:banana: How cute, your first post.:cool1: Beware, it's addicting! Have a magical day!:wizard:

Erin:)

awe, boo hoo, it's over! I remember when you were there and how fast it went even then! The sad picture of the kids is so precious, that's what we look like when we get to the airport, sad! When Josh and I did our trip together we ate at T-Rex in the ice blue room, very cool. I want to eat there next April before the cruise.

RAINY Sunday here in MI, just looking at furniture and disboards, baked cookies, life is good! Of course, NAZ-CAR is on the TV (really Nascar, but I like to call it NAZ-CAR like Roz from Monsters Inc.), it puts me to sleep!

Time for a pre trip report and planning update on the June trip for next year!

Aw it's over! This one was far too quick lol And 2014 seems so far away. We had to postpone our trip to late 2014 (that is what we are aiming for right now) and even though we did it for good reasons, it still seems like such a long wait to get back!

The lego store in DTD is so cool, I'm always in awe of the creations in there. I'm glad that your family had such a good time playing around.

It is also fun that you got to sit in a different spot at T-Rex this time. The atmosphere in there is so neat, it is nice to experience all of the different parts. I agree with your comments about the food though - it is a fun place for families, but the food didn't really wow us either.

I love the picture of Jesse sleeping on the way home, what a little cutie :)

Thanks so much for sharing your latest adventure, what a fabulous birthday present :)

You weren't one of Stitch's unsuspecting victims were you? I think that must be a terrible surprise.

AHHHHHHHH HOW DID I MISS THIS????? Boy, I'm not the best Dis-Friend at all!! :sad2: I'm sorry :guilty: But I'm here now!! And I have a looooooot of catching up to do!! :rotfl: OMG though, what a wonderful surprise for little Faith! The royal rooms are perfect for a little princess!...And her family too ;)

I'm glad the boys were enjoying themselves as well!

I will continue to catch up because I am SO FAR BEHIND! :rotfl:

Oh Heather that Pic of Stephen and Jesse holding hands just got me!:sad: So sweet, your family. Thanks for sharing with us once again...you rock!:thumbsup2

What a great trip!! Quick trips are always hard because you're always like, wait, there should be more!! You don't have to think about leaving the entire trip if you're there for an extended period of time. It seemed like a wonderful getaway and you managed to do quite a bit! :thumbsup2 I hope Faith enjoyed her princess birthday surprise!!!!! She is so cute! princess:

Another great TR. So many pictures of POR, which I just love. The boat ride to DTD is great. Enjoy the rest of your summer.:)

Oh I hate it's over. I loved all the pictures of POR. This week this resort is in the lead for which one to stay at next trip. Next week it will be something else.

I can't stand those pan for gold "money traps". We went to the Smokey Mts one year with my SIL and every time we saw one of those places we had to stop.

I'll be looking forward to your next trip report. Thanks for sharing this wonderful birthday surprise.

:worship: another great TR Heather!! :thumbsup2. We ate at TRex too last August, but Ashley was still not feeling great and only had soup. We were in the Ice Room. Cool decor, but as you say, food wasn't memorable. I'm not a fan of Rain Forest either, we just went once to check it out.

So you got the TR done just in time, before ya have to get back to..........:faint:
Noooooooooopp! :rolleyes1

:hourglass time is marching on for me. I can't believe it's almost August :scared1: we drive down to Seattle 8/7 for our flights. Now I'm panicking that our vacation will be over too fast :rolleyes2

Boo! It can't be over already??? Tell Bill that your "fans" demand a longer TR and thus, you must make a quick trip to Disney. Maybe to scope out the new VGF?? :rolleyes1 Just, you know, in case you happen to stay there in the future, you need to know the room layout!

Great TR and of course, great pictures! When we leave, at least one of us is in tears. Even when we have another trip planned its just so depressing to be re-entering real life.

I'm sure you are getting ready to get back to work, we go back next week. I feel like the summer went so fast but yet at the same time, I kinda like it during the school year as the schedule is the same all the time. What can I say...I like to plan and I like my routines!

Thanks again for taking us on your adventures!

Christine

Awww no.. Now, I am sad... :( I hate that its over..

When it is time to go home, it is super sad. :( You spend so long planning, planning and then its over in the blink of an eye. ( or so it feels that way)

Love your Tahoe or Suburban or whatever it is. LOL. We ended up getting a Toyota Sienna van in May and I wanted an SUV so bad but I knew the van is more practical for now.

How long does it take you to get home from Disney?

Can't wait for the next report!

It's over?!?!?? Already??? :faint: And your next trip isn't until June???? :faint::faint::faint: Here's hoping Bill gets another brilliant idea between now and then. ;)

:rotfl2: imagining the instructions you must have given the kids prior to the DIS meet. :laughing: Happy to hear that best behavior was on display.

I agree POFQ looks amazing. We stayed there WAY back in the day when it was Dixie Landings but do remember the pool being very cool. Can't recall how fast (or slow) the slide was though. Summit Plummet?? Stephen is a daredevil!!

Glad everyone had such fun at TRex. The detail in there is incredible!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us! I had fun following along. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter