A Picture Thread: Los Angeles Coast 12-26-05

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
Today it was drizzling this morning, but by early afternoon the clouds started to break up. I decided to drive to Redondo Beach & check out the sea... (Click on pics for a larger view)

This pic was taken above Torrance Beach, and is looking out towards the Redondo Beach Pier. El Segundo would be about where the curve ends - LAX airport is just beyond that.

This is a view of Torrance Beach, looking out to Palos Verdes Peninsula.

I drove around the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and saw some people looking over the side.

This is a view looking towards Los Angeles. Down below to the left are surfers.

Surfers are a dedicated group -- they had to find parking up on top of a cliff and then carry their surfboards down a trail to go out on the water. I saw guys walking from their homes, surfboards strapped to their cars, and even riding their bikes up & down the hills to catch some waves today.

You can see the trail they walked down in this pic.

Here's a pic that locals might recognize ... if they're old enough ... (Hermosa11?)

This is the entrance to Marineland that used to be on the Palos Verdes Peninsula until it was torn down in the late 70's. Now it's the entrance to apartments and condos.

By the time I drove around the peninsula it got quite foggy, so I couldn't take anymore pics...

I did drive past the new Trump golf course - it looks like they're almost done with it. If you saw the first Apprentice, the winner had a choice of working on a high rise back east, or working to build a golf course in Los Angeles.

But, here are pics of the Wayfarers Chapel, also known as the Glass Chapel, taken in September. Down below is called Abalone Cove, and it was used by pirates in the 1800's... Also, in more recent history, this area was one of the locations for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie -- I never did go down to take pics of the movie sets down there...

This is a very popular place for weddings, as you can see here.

... and tonight I got to enjoy my kitty Koda, so here he is, just because.

11450IMG_0519-med.JPG

As always, great pictures, Mary Jo. As I sit here looking out my window at yucky old snow all around, those beach shots made me smile. :goodvibes

Great pictures, CA looks really nice, thanks for sharing :sunny:

And what a pretty cat! We just adopted two kittens this weekend!

In 1984, my family spent a week at the Coast Guard station located at Point Vicente Lighthouse on Palos Verdes Penninsula. I have very fond memories of that week (I was 11 at the time). Do you have any pictures of the lighthouse?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter