A month in FL in the summer heat? Am I crazy?

WinterSux

Earning My Ears
We are considering (family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids) spending a month near WDW in the summer. My kids love Disney and the Orlando area theme parks (but especially Disney). We were just there over winter break and are frequent Disney visitors (at least once a year). With virtual work, we're considering spending a month - likely most of August - in Florida. All I'm reading about is how horrible the parks are in the summer and how Floridians leave to escape the heat and wondering if I'm crazy?

Also, I would prefer to stay - since it's such a long trip - a little ways away from Disney. Maybe find a rental that's more residential but with easy access (30-45 mins), any recommendations for the neighborhoods I should look into? Thanks so much!!

I don't think you are crazy. I have no suggestions regarding areas/houses. Rent a home/condo with a pool.

Perhaps hit the parks early morning or in the evening. Find other areas in Orlando/beaches to visit (Cocoa Beach). Don't over do it, take it slow and enjoy!!!

Have fun planning - let us know how you make out!!!

We stayed for 3 weeks in a pool house May-June 2002. It was wonderful. Kids spent a lot of time in the pool and we skipped going back to the parks in the evening because they were happy to just hang at the pool. They were between 6 and 13 at the time.

OP, I'd consider where you live and the summer weather there. If it's also very humid/hot, you may not notice much difference. If you're accustomed to mild summer weather, you might be happier spending summer at home, and doing your Florida trip at a different time.

Thank you so much for all the responses!! We live in NJ, so it will be only slightly more pleasant here in the summer.
I would still appreciate any suggestions for neighborhoods. 😊

Generally speaking, it's the number of high temperature days that can wear folks (even locals) down. Being from the PA/NJ area, there were days in August that were hotter than Florida. But the humidity is real and relentless.

I think pacing yourselves and hydrate are the key. Oh...and hydrate. And once you hydrate, hydrate again.

As far as I know, the only nearby cities zoned for long-term rentals are Kissimmee and Davenport, so if you want to rent a house, you'll probably need to look there. You could also look at timeshare places which may have villa accommodations the size of a house or apartment. The "Orlando Hotels and Attractions" forum has quite a few threads discussing specific vacation rental communities.

If you are willing to stay a little ways from Disney stay in Vero Beach (110 miles away) Or Tampa area (70 miles away) I wouldn't go to Florida for a long time in the summer unless it was by the beach where you can cool off by going in the Ocean. That's why there are "snowbirds" Leave the northeast in the winter and go back in the summer. There are days that are warmer in the northeast than Florida in the summer but no many and not as consistently humid.

If you are willing to stay a little ways from Disney stay in Vero Beach (110 miles away) Or Tampa area (70 miles away) I wouldn't go to Florida for a long time in the summer unless it was by the beach where you can cool off by going in the Ocean. That's why there are "snowbirds" Leave the northeast in the winter and go back in the summer. There are days that are warmer in the northeast than Florida in the summer but no many and not as consistently humid.
As nice as the beach sounds August is hurricane season , nobody has time for that. Lol.

That’s pretty much what we’re planing to do. I’m fine with 100% humidity but the rest of my family… well what they don’t know won’t hurt them! I suspect all the magic and excitement will provide a suitable distraction so the grumbling will be kept to a minimum. With being there so long I hope everyone acclimatises in a week or so.
Good luck finding somewhere to stay.

We are considering (family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids) spending a month near WDW in the summer. My kids love Disney and the Orlando area theme parks (but especially Disney). We were just there over winter break and are frequent Disney visitors (at least once a year). With virtual work, we're considering spending a month - likely most of August - in Florida. All I'm reading about is how horrible the parks are in the summer and how Floridians leave to escape the heat and wondering if I'm crazy?

Also, I would prefer to stay - since it's such a long trip - a little ways away from Disney. Maybe find a rental that's more residential but with easy access (30-45 mins), any recommendations for the neighborhoods I should look into? Thanks so much!!
That's long enough to get conditioned to the weather at least. We live in Orlando and being used to the heat is just as real as northerners used to the Winter.

The first 34 yrs of my life I dealt with the winters in NY. I have been living in FL for 30 yrs now and would gladly take the summers here over the winter there. Yes, I go to the theme parks often in the summer too, well not last summer due to Covid19. I do have my own pool, and I would definitely recommend getting a place with a pool

You are not crazy if you don't mind burning and baking. Good Luck!

My husband and I have considered doing this with our RV at the Disney Campgrounds! Sounds fun! 😁

We are thinking of the same for ~2 month time in the next year some time; Ideally getting AP’s for the family to ensure we can go as often as possible.

Is there any information on when they will be available again?

Love Florida.........even in the summer months!!!! Can’t wait to return!
:flower::beach:

It depends where you’re coming from. If you’re already in the hot/sweaty south, then it shouldn’t bother you much more. If you’re coming from WI or MI, I’d think twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!