A Matter of Personal Space

babar41

<font color=darkorchid>I have my popcorn, let the
There have been a couple of "debates" the past week on the pros and cons of using umbrellas at Disney. The most repeated con I have read is that the umbrellas can poke someone in the face. This brings another question to mind... the matter of personal space.

In some parts of the world personal space is really non-existant, but in America for the most part people have this invisible circle around them that when others invade gives us the feeling of being crowed and uncomfortable. When we are at a busy park having that 3 foot circle is a little difficult, so we adapt. Shouldn't we also adapt when we are walking and see someone carrying something that has the potential of poking us in the face? Maybe adapt by giving them more space?

It always amazes me when walking through WDW on a non busy day when there is plenty of open areas around me, the number of people who choose to walk up my heels, pass me brushing my shoulder, walking towards me bumping into me, or joining me on a bench when there is only about 6 inches of open space.

I guess having some personal space is important to me. I'm not asking for a lot, but maybe 1 foot on non busy days. Is that too much to ask for? Does anyone else feel this way?

And as for the umbrella debate... I carry my umbrella straight above me, it is a compact Mickey one I bought a few years ago. It isn't very large, probably not more than 1 foot past my body. I don't use it in lines, I don't walk up to people with it, and I only use it when it is raining. I'm sorry if someone who is not being attentive runs into it, I try my best to watch out for the other guy and move out of their way to avoid their walking into it. I don't have eyes in the back of my head, so those behind me intent on walking on my heels may have difficulty reaching my heels. Those that want to pass me by bumping into me will have a choice of either taking one additional step to avoid bumping into my umbrella or getting poked.

OK, I'm off my soap box. Anyone out there with any comments or thoughts?

A few weeks ago, our Jungle Cruise guide said something like, "What most people call 'personal space' is what we here at Disney call 'room for four more people.'"

-- Eric :earsboy:

That gave me a laugh! Just what I needed after my little tirade. Thanks! They are the expert at utilizing every inch for every ride and attraction!

Just yesterday, I had an issue with that in the line at my Post Office.
This woman was crowding me, right behind me, bumping into me,
bumping into my arm, and there was plenty of room behind her.
As she was speaking to her young son, it was like she was right up there,
speaking directly into my left ear. I couldn't wait to get out of there!

It just might be a difference of the personal space thing from other countries.
This woman obviously looked like she was born in another country, because
she was dressed in her native garb. It was annoying, though.

I feel very crowded a lot of times at WDW. I have stood in line and had people stand practically on top of me. It makes me uncomfortable.

Now, my DS, he does not "get" the personal space thing. I am constantly pulling him back away from people. He will bump into them and basically stand right on their heels. I think he does this because of his low vision, but it is something we are working on. I have a new rule that when he is in a line, he needs to stand at least one arm length away from the person in front of him. Quite often I will catch him sticking his arm out to make sure he is far enough back.

Claudia... We had a foreign exchange student from Spain spend a few summers with us. I noticed that I was walking into walls when she was walking with me. I would be walking with the traditional personal space between us and she would walk closer. I would scoot away, she would close the space till I was finally walking into walls! I finally had to explain the idea of personal space to her. She told me that was so unlike Spain! I found that she was right when I visited her at her home in Spain.

Jenny... Made me smile! That is how I taught our exchange student! If you can touch me when you put your arm out your too close!

No problem with umbrellas or personal space. It's the responsibility of both parties to navigate WDW without bumping, poking, or running over/getting run over. Hey, if I'm tailgating someone in my car and they stop suddenly, most states will hold me at fault if I run into them.

Actually, I wish everyone would carry umbrellas if it would increase the spacing between people. I'm with you, give me space when there's that option.

Umbrellas have their own courtesy; if every one could follow that I wouldn't have a problem with people using them anywhere. What bugs me are the people here in Chicago that have the huge golf umbrellas and then bury themselves in it so they cant see where they are going and they take up the whole side walk and they run into people with it (almost like a battering ram)

The other obnoxious umbrella habit that i witness in Chicago all the time is the twirling. You know-the people that get rain on everyone else and are totally oblivious to what they are doing as they spin their umbrella around in the rain.

i think that with all things evc's, strollers, umbrellas, every one have to practice consideration: consideration for the people with the umbrella/stroller/evc, and consideration for people around you if you are using an umbrella/stroller/evc.

ITA - most times I also prefer an umbrella even at WDW esp when its HOT. I won't however let my kids use one!

I had a "personal space situation" today at blockbuster while checking out. I had my dvd's on the counter and I was checking out. A lady just walked up behind me and began piling up her videos next, to and on top of mine??? The clerk said., "Oh are you together", me "NO". her, "Oh I have too many and I need to put them down. Clerk - "would you please go to the end of the line? LOL

I hadn't even realized a line had formed behind me and I was stunned. Its ao queue like the bank with a clear entrance and a bright yellow sign stating "wait here for the next available assistant".

She just left her videos and went to the back of the line, wonder if she even got the same clerk.

At WDW my biggest personal space issue is when your moved from the waiting area into a show like VOTLM or Mickey's Philharmagic - way to much pushing and shoving and walking on heels. Its all I can do to keep my 2 young dd's with me and we don't even care where we sit.

TJ

Sorry, gotta say this. We went to Animal Kingdom in a monsoon. The umbrellas were the only things that kept us marginally sane that day. And DISNEY sold them to us.

If it is pouring rain and I have to be out in it, I will have an umbrella. And until Disney outlaws them it is my right to have it. I won't poke anyone with it and I won't twirl it. Unless you get too close. Then I might just poke and twirl with wild abandon! ;)

There is no doubt standing up under someone, continuly bumping while standing in a line is just plain RUDE. Umbrellas, just don't poke me in the back of my head.

I totally agree with giving someone space. I always try to do that. I personally don't like being crowded. I am, however, a little touchy about the umbrella thing right now. DD and I were at MGM the other day. We were actually standing still waiting to buy a drink at one of the stands when a woman comes pushing by us with her umbrella up. She scratched my DD's face with it. When Kendall grabbed at her face and made a noise, the woman sort of glared at us and moved on. No "I'm sorry" or anything. WE WERE STANDING STILL!! If everyone would be considerate of others, I'd have no problem with umbrellas. But then, if people were considerate, we wouldn't keep having the debates over strollers, cutting in line, standing up in front of parades, dropping trash where ever and smoking outside the smoking areas. I see more and more of this type of behavior and it saddens and irritates me. I'm normally an easy-going person, but a person can only take so much before it starts to wear on them. Please note that I spend much more time at the parks and other Disney areas than most, so I'm exposed to alot.

I think I posted this earlier on the shocking things thread. DS and I were in line for Buzz. It was very busy that evening. There was a guy in front of us with a pretty big backpack. I had no problem with him or his backpack. As I said it was crowded and you know how people jostle each other. This guy kept twisting and turning around looking for his wife and child we later deduced. Anyway, he would bump us a little or we would bump his backpack a little. It was no big deal for us at all. I mean, it is Disneyworld, it is crowded, it is Springbreak. It is to be expected. Well, this guy had already made other comments about people in line but then he turns around to us and says “Back off” really ugly like. I just said, Oh, you know it is Disney and people bump each other. I said it really sweet and kidding like. Well, he said “Just back off. You aren’t going to get to the front of the line any faster.” Again, he was ugly about it. I didn’t say a word. I was in shock. It was Disney and we had never had any negative experiences at Disney. So, what I did was when the line started to move I held DS14 back and let the line and Backpack Guy move up about 3 feet. Backpack Guy noticed after a few minutes and said, “Now you are just doing that aren’t you.” I just looked at him like the mental patient that he was and said “Sir I am just giving you your personal space.” We kept that 3 foot “personal space” the entire wait in the line.

tjmw2727 said:
- I hadn't even realized a line had formed behind me and I was stunned. Its ao queue like the bank with a clear entrance and a bright yellow sign stating "wait here for the next available assistant".

TJ
Somewhat OT but I used to work at a toy store and during the busy season, people can get pretty snippy with the staff. There was this one woman who bypassed the line and tried to come to my register--we are talking like 10 or 12 people in line already. I said to her, "I am sorry but the line starts over there (pointing) and you will need to wait." Oh she was mad and huffed, "WELL, it would be NICE if you had a sign or something!" I pointed to the HUGE orange and purple arrow hanging from the ceiling that said "The line starts here." And said, "Well, I am asking you to wait over there under that sign."

As far as personal space, I hate it when people crowd up behind me. If it is a little kid, it doesn't bother me though once in awhile I have asked them very nicely to step back a little. I will usually say something like, "Can you step back a little, big guy? I don't want to step on your toes." Something so they don't feel uncomfortable. I know I am constantly telling my kids to back up too. Of course, my rule with them while waiting in line at the post office or wherever is that if they can't reach out and touch me than they are too far away. LOL!

If you want PERSONAL SPACE, stay away from Disneyland Paris. We were there in April and it was ridiculous. The people stand right on top of you while in line. As if that wasn't bad enough, they are on top of you while smoking. YUK!!! It became so ridiculous that I started standing in the lines with my elbows out, just to keep people at a reasonable distance from me.

TheRobbs

Oh, yes. The ol' elbow defense. I learned that one riding the bus in Italy when I lived there in grad school.
broom.gif

Jarestel... I agree, everyone has a responsibility to watch where they are going and make sure they are in control of their items (umbrella, backpack, stroller, wheelchair, children, and DH!) :cool1:

funnybunny... What can I say? Chicagoites are their own breed. Unfortunately they are not well know for their common courtsey. :rolleyes:

Tjmw... going into a show from a waiting area always resembles a herd of cattle stampeeding. (Sorry if I offended any cattle!) :rotfl:

jackskellingtonsgirl... I'll look for the twirling, jabbing umbrella next time we are at AK! :teeth:

Disneydude... I promise not to poke you in the back of the head with my umbrella if you promise not to run into the back of my umbrella with your eye! :teeth:

Feralpeg... I am so sorry your DD was hurt! There is no excuse for this type of behavior. I'm sure you realize the umbrella wasn't the problem, the woman pushing by who obviously only cared about herself was. Please tell your daughter on behalf of the umbrella carriers of the world (Disney World that is), I am sorry for what happened to her. :umbrella:

jjarman... I'm sorry the man was rude to you, but being a backpack carrier too (OH dear! I not only carry an umbrella I wear a backpack! Mine is smaller though,) I can understand how he felt if someone was constantly touching his pack. I carry my camera and a few things in mine and when someone is constantly touching it... I'm worried about pick pockets. I will change my position or even take off my pack and pull it to my front to keep people from constantly touching it. :sad2:

Disneymom3... Line jumpers! Don't get me started on another tirade! Needless to say I think everyone should wait their turn. The fact somepeople don't think the line applies to them is just darn right WRONG! I like how you get the little "big guys" to back off. :goodvibes And it is a thin line you walk teaching children personal space and safety space!

The Robbs... Disneyland Paris is not for me, I will agree! :)

Wintergreen... I'm practicing the elbow move for our next WDW trip :Pinkbounc

In my family we call these people who have no knowledge of personal space "The Me Monsters". The Me Monsters think of no one else, they are living in their three feet of the world and anyone else around should just WATCHOUT! Me monsters are constantly bringing the conversation back to themselves, running into people and not apologizing, speaking loudly and crudely for all the world to hear (including small children), parking their SUV sized stollers on your heels and yes, bowling you over to get to their destination when their is plenty of space around you that they could easily use. Oh, they'll also pull out in front of you in their monster truck when no one is driving behind you for at least 2 miles. The me monsters could definitely use a little dose of pixie dust! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter