A "Just-for-Fun" Poll - Adding direct after resale

If you bought your first contract after 4/4/2016, did you also buy a 25 -50 pt add-on direct?

• Yes!

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Actively working on it right now

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Thinking about doing it in the next 6 months or so

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • No plans at this time

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm wondering how many new members are choosing to add on a small contract to get access to the Membership Extras.

If a large percentage of resale buyers are doing so, it could be a big win for Disney (based on my assumption that those resale buyers were never going to go direct due to the high prices). Shouldn't cost much to administer those small contracts since the buyers already have an account.

Maybe it's enough to keep those perks & discounts coming and DVD reasonably satisfied with sales. - at least satisfied enough to keep plans (if any) for a VIP Club on the back-burner.

Thoughts?

I'm wondering how many new members are choosing to add on a small contract to get access to the Membership Extras.

If a large percentage of resale buyers are doing so, it could be a big win for Disney (based on my assumption that those resale buyers were never going to go direct due to the high prices). Shouldn't cost much to administer those small contracts since the buyers already have an account.

Maybe it's enough to keep those perks & discounts coming and DVD reasonably satisfied with sales. - at least satisfied enough to keep plans (if any) for a VIP Club on the back-burner.

Thoughts?

I didn't answer the poll because I'm not a new buyer now, but I actually did this many years ago in order to get in with a small resale. I couldn't afford to buy the minimum 160 that was the policy at the time for new buyers. I purchased a 60 point BWV resale then immediately added on 40 direct. There was no difference between direct and resale at the time and the spread between my resale points and direct was only $11 ($87 vs $98). I've added on twice since then. This has been a great strategy for me and I see it equally for new members now. I'm not a fan of this new policy of having 2 tiers of membership. I feel like the pixie dust is a little thinner on top now. JMHO

We bought a BLT resale and then added 25 direct in May this year. We wanted the Gold APs (main purpose) as well as not having to bother with whether or not we 'qualify' for something of interest offered to DVC members.

Bought AKL resale in February, and added 35 Poly last week while on a cruise! Didn't want to be a second class citizen, and excited to get a few nights at the Poly every 2/3 years.

I didn't answer the poll because we didn't add on for the direct perks. We just wanted an additional 25 points for one of our contracts. We checked the price of resale and it wasn't much more to purchase direct. We got the same UY (which I wasn't finding resale) and points immediately so it worked out perfectly.

No. As a UK once every other year visitor ( I am lucky enough to go on 4 foreign vacations a year but only plan to visit WDW for around 10 nights in a 1 bed every other year, as too many other places to go), the extra expenditure for a bit of discount does not work out for me. I don’t buy annual passes, I’m very unlikely to attend a moonlight magic event, I am not fussed about a temporary Epcot lounge, and when I come I buy a UK 14 day special super dooper ticket so have zero interest in spending more to book special events etc so modest discounts on those do not interest me. Essentially I’d be buying it for some modest food discounts. My merchandise expenditure consist of a mug, maybe a T shirt and a plush. If I add on would probably go 50 points + resale.

Thoughts?

Hi - I just closed on my 160 point SSR resale on 10/18 and purchased 25 points at SSR direct the following week. There was a wait list but I got the call today the points came through. I was told you have to keep the same use year. The nice thing is my UY is April so I even received the points for 2017 which I didn't expect. DVC is picking up the tab on the 2017 dues too. I'm happy that I decided to add on. I paid on my credit card and will get the cash back bonus and I cab even rent out some points that would pay for most of the direct purchase. Win/win

Closed on SSR contract in April, bought 25 Poly points in May. Perks are worth it for me, as I live 3 miles from Disneyland. Going to DVC Halloween Party tonight, signed up for Disneyland Moonlight Magic in 2 weeks, and bought my discounted WDW annual pass for my trips next year. No regrets.

I am now going to have to retract my post above!

I decided I needed 25 more points (we go every other year and decided I was 50 light).

Started looking at resale contracts for 50 or under. The price is now extraordinary, even for stripped. 115 for stripped contracts, seller will not accept offers.

I needed my points for a December booking. I wanted really 2017.

It was actually cheaper or not much more expensive, assuming I could have secured the small add on in time, to buy direct once you factor in I got 2017 points, banked, with no dues on them, and the $100 closing compared to $400.

So I now get my blue card and benefits by default. Some of the restaurant and merchandise discounts will come in handy I suppose, and I suppose I never know, They may one day have a Moonlight Magic when I am there in summer, so it’s an added bonus for me, but I’d never have bought to secure the discounts. I wish paid bought more points at the off, and saved $1500 on what I could have had a bigger contract for. Oh well....

Have to say though, first interaction with a Disney guide and he was really very good.

Closed on SSR contract in April, bought 25 Poly points in May. Perks are worth it for me, as I live 3 miles from Disneyland. Going to DVC Halloween Party tonight, signed up for Disneyland Moonlight Magic in 2 weeks, and bought my discounted WDW annual pass for my trips next year. No regrets.

Well that is a no brainer.

On the waitlist to add on direct at BLT.

My reasoning for doing so in no particular order
- we can use another 25 points, we bought 160 resale and the extra 25 gives us a little bit more point room.
- I want to get the direct benefits before DVD changes the rules on min point contracts like many think they might do.
- I want the option to use some of the direct benefits. We don't visit enough to make the AP discount worth it (yet anyway), but honestly knowing I couldn't visit the lounge at Epcot, or attend a DVC party if I was there would bother the hell out of me. I want the blue card to be honest

I know we'll be adding more points in the future, the kids are both small right now and can share the sleeper sofa with no issue. As they get older though we'll probably want to stay 2bedroom all the time, and we'll need another 160 points probably to make that happen. Thankfully that's some years away for now.

first contract was May 2016 for 150 VGF resale.
While that was in ROFR, I started another 130 VGF resale.
As soon as the first contract finished, I added 25 direct at BCV since I was planning on buying APs at least one year. I figured the $800 in savings more than made up for the extra costs of buying BCV direct -- of course now I could sell that 25 point contract for at least $140...so it's more than paid for itself already.

My thought process was for every year we got APs, it would save us at least $800 -- so those 25 points were like getting a $30 discount per point -- so after 5 years of APs, the points pay for themselves...without even including the value of the rooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter