A helpful website

onesadduck

Not so sad right now
Hi everybody! Until about six weeks ago, I was a lurker on the DISabilities! boards (until my little sister, and reason for lurking here passed away). This has been an extremely difficult time for me. When she passed away, we were planning a MAW for her, so it was too painful to visit this section for a while. But now, here I am, an OT in training, and hopefully helpful friend.

I recently found this website http://dailystrength.org/ or Dailystrength. DailyStrength is basically an online support group with many communities for various issues and problems people deal with in life. You can post in an on-line journal to express what you're going through. But what I've found most helpful is the community discussion boards. There are over 500 communities for all sorts of things, like allergies, autism/ASD, various cancers, mental illness, neurological illnesses, and even personal challenges like bereavement (which is how I found the place- and they have been very helpful), and daily living, like general parent support. I'm sure many of you have already found similar online resources for your specific situations, but I thought I'd share here.

Like I already mentioned, you can post a journal (I never imagined how typing my thoughts out would help), and have multiple lines of support in one place (like parenting teens and help for celiac disease- or whatever suits you). I found that "more than one community of support in the same place" to be very helpful, because who out there is only going through one challenge at a time? Also you can give e-hugs with just the click of a button.

I already posted about this site in the Coping and Compassion section, but thought some people here might benefit from it, too. I really wish I'd found that site before my sister died. Oh well. I hope at least one person can benefit. I suggest checking it out even if you don't think it'll help. If they don't have a community you want, you can always suggest one.

Have a great day and stay strong,
Alisa

So sorry for your loss. Thanks very much for posting this site, I had not seen it before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter