A great tip for anyone.

BobbyDukes

Mouseketeer
So I learned one thing that I absolutely do everytime I'm in the kingdom. COMMUNICATE. Talk with other people!
Where you guys from?
Where you all staying?
How's your day going?
To complete strangers. In line waiting for Anna and Elsa two dads can have a conversation on their daughters. Standing up in front of the bus with strollers with other dads, "hey man where you guys from?"
I even love talking with cast members. You ever see a cast member that lived in your state (their IDs state where they are from) "hello, I see u lived in Massachusetts, where abouts?"
This as always worked for me. Have a conversation with someone, you will be amazed how much the experience will increase with meeting other people.

Does anyone have any great stories like this, meeting other people (potentially from all over the world) ?

Does anyone have any great stories like this, meeting other people (potentially from all over the world) ?

One memorable story to join your discussion is I met a couple at tiffins opening night. Something about how the waitress was stressing we should ahve the triple filtered water started a light convo. Ran into them again later and had a small convo. The interesting thing is 6 months after that we happened to cross paths and they remembered us so we kept chatting here and there when we would cross.

other than that I do seem to run into people that love to talk and strike up random conversations all the time. most of the good ones are while smoking and later int he evening when nobody really wants to get up and move around anymore. same goes with resort smoking sections, especially the ones closest to food or beer.

Always thought it odd how people make no effort to chat. We always go out of our way to talk to those around us, well the ones who want.
Really enjoy talking to the Cast Members.

I love talking to the cast members, especially in Epcot. Learning about their home countries is wonderful. Made a real good friend with a CM from Japan in 2010 and we still exchange post cards once a year.

I think some people don't talk to the CMs because they are shy or think they are just there to provide a service. But WDW is so diverse and there are so many people from around the globe that work there. I am always amazed that one tag says a small town in Ohio and another says another country.

Great tip! My sister and I are actually still friends with some people we met while standing on line for Splash Mountain over 20 years ago!
When my children are "bored" on line for rides, I always encourage them to strike up a conversation with some other children....where are you from, what is your favorite ride, Disney character, etc.

That's one of my favorite aspects of travelling. I have not made any lasting friends on trips, but I do enjoy meeting new people and striking up conversations.

When we visited DL a few years ago, we were leaving Turtle Talk with Crush and our daughter (who was 6 at the time) was crying because Crush didn't pick her for one of the questions. When we were leaving, we were waiting in line to leave and there was a CM standing there and I think he was from TN/KY (where we had recently moved from) and we struck up a quick conversation. He asked why our daughter was crying and I told him. He told us to wait at the side of the theater. Once everyone left the theater, we had a PRIVATE conversation with Crush and our daughter was beyond herself. It was so thoughtful and so sweet, and made her trip. When I got home I wrote Disney and told them about what he did and I hope they put it in his employment folder.

I'll never forget this! During our last big family trip down to WDW, it was mid-August and the heat and humidity were brutal. My mom and I sat down on a bench in Epcot Showcase to take a break while dad went to get us drinks. We started talking with a couple sharing the bench with us. Not only did it turn out that they were from the same state of WI, but they knew of our little town and knew our neighbors, by name! Talk about it being a small world after all!

Great tip for introverts who like people, but are usually too shy to start up a conversation too. :upsidedow

True for anyone who is shy- extroverts can be shy too! Introvert doesn't mean shy or not liking people.

This is one of my favorite things to do while at Disney. Our first trip me, my mom and ds shared a table outside of Storybook Treats with a lovely woman and her dd who were from the UK. We sat there for a good 30 minutes chatting about our home towns, WDW, DL Paris etc. It was a wonderful little taste of the differences and similarities between our cultures.

On our last trip we struck up a conversation with a family who had 2 little boys around my son's age on the bus to MK. We crossed paths probably half a dozen times throughout the day and always took a moment to say hi and even sat next to them on the bus back that night and ran into them again at Epcot the next day.

DS is the type who can strike up a conversation with anyone about anything. Pretty sure he conversed with the topiaries at Epcot! :tongue:

We actually search out the cast members to talk to them, especially the exchange students/young people in the WS in Epcot!
We have had some great moments with some fabulous young people from all over the world!
DH and a young gentleman from Germany got into a sticker war that is STILL the highlight of our trip!

Last edited:
We struck up a conversation with a CM a few year ago that was there on the CP. We are still friends with her and are now friends with her Mom too!!

We love striking up conversations with those around us. One time we were even able to help avert what was sure to become an argument between the couple standing in front of us. We could just sense the tension, so we just started making small talk with them to get their minds off of whatever was about to explode between them. Whew!!!

It is just me and DH, so we also like helping out others when possible. We were on a bus ride back to the hotel one night and a family got on and they had a bunch of shopping bags and small kids. The bus was packed so I offered to hold the bags on my lap. They were very appreciative and took me up on my offer.

Being open to what's around you just improves the experience so much more!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter