A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

I'm glad you got something from Southwest for all your trouble last year! And Texas/New Mexico on Spring Break is probably a good idea, not a prime destination for most (read not crowded and busy), but still a good use of the weather in your favor.

Wow! After your discussion of Sports teams and rivalries, I'm glad that I have nothing to do with them. I know out here rooting for the wrong team can get your butt kicked to the point that you become a virtual vegetable, and even though sports (watching them, I enjoyed playing) never interested me, after I realized how much parking lot violence there is, I was glad to avoid them.

I'm not sure that I've ever tried a Whataburger, but based on your recommendation I doubt I would go out of my way for one. You know your story of driving across Texas reminded me a of a series of novels that I think you would enjoy. They're murder mysteries by author Ben Rehder, The Blanco County Mysteries, and they're really hilarious. The only sane character in the books is the main character who is a Game Warden in Texas, everyone else is just wacko, but they are very engaging stories. I'm glad that I looked this guy up, because he's written four more books since I last listened to them and I put them on our wishlist at Audible.

Nice that your parents were playing tour guide for you all, it's fun when someone knows the area and can take you around. That BBQ place looked pretty good, but that was a huge serving of pulled pork! That would last me for several days! Forget the PB&J! I'd be having leftover pulled pork sandwiches!

It also seems that the Eagles/Cowboys game comes at a pivot point in the season -- one always seems to be knocking the other out of the playoffs. Shame you couldn't have baptized the stadium.

I've driven by a Whataburger, but have never tried one. Now I'm in even less of a hurry to try them out.

The barbecue looks pretty good, but of course, the proof is in the eating.

The only issue there was that there were three parking spaces designated for minivans, and parked in those spaces were…um, not minivans.

They can take the reservation...just not produce the vehicle reserved. For us, it seems more often than not, the rental company does not have the car we reserved.

This has allowed a deep-seated rivalry to form.

Our house is right there with you with the Dallas rivalry.....although....we also have a rivalry with the Eagles and Giants......I'm sure you can figure out were our loyalty lies. It's been a loooooonnnnngggggg dry period for us......but we still pay for the NFL package so we can watch the games....sigh.

Gag me with a spoon.

This made me chuckle - in our house growing up, we said gag me with a pitchfork - not sure where that came from.

t3XqzBE9bmhGGQ95vpQcmGrXhHBhz3SVDJ-Q0uq9eL_v1iFowz5G6PxClh2p06Ud1QxVUqndw0adcHCjbOfmUOsfE99UQuWCwF8oe4Lwwhghd5k2fkfIQs6efYpfIg7XeXXccwx_8XtoySSv6duXNBuUMcriHxsWCe_TecmLLWUyf9NO92bXu9qOnWIGPCPoseChuDpHp9ZSyIc2zf1GWyzmw1H_lF6PekFn7Iv1ZILyHRRFPYw_11_UkekpST4RekK2QJJ1ani_P3DjUBEeR5jDKlXTu-ahr5Ee9Jw-dIYiMJCsruZur3YUd7NtzvWf9fUO0Ex-vCyj6X4k3brB5ZDJRIKgl-KlacDj2h_C0ZCTYa5T_PENVhk3gyqjkMgFnz9RLWq5quIUnFQHQwg-p2HS1WEFog9lAcdqiQ8f4fX611MIAcwuVBYoi_7Suuc8vPxPHNB4BHHJVvk5kqnySaES-PYAxlewdBWk3x-3FMRU9wcJwGPea1gOnagaYPgJDB8FeDixMj1eU2i7u48NtAUkP-PKsIu5gOd4nIy_pxfEIaHNkZleq0MkbVO3f1dMfY3HdLj0h9z_iziX-1mYjDXW6pxAclvI22kTp-pn5NP42KFB-OX2q9MY=w1139-h854-no

:lmao: too perfect

Now....this really appeals to me (the road looks like it needs to be repaved) - what is the speed limit? I can see me hitting the pedal to the metal (of course with no other cars in sight). Where I live, we have an area of the freeway that is 16 lanes (between both sides - maybe even 18) and quite often, bumper to bumper traffic.

Great that your parents are joining you. I'm sure they love spending time with the grandkids.....and ok, you and Julie too.

And it was partly driven by a desire to avoid being in Texas in the dog days of summer. Because it makes so much more sense for us to spend those days in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama instead.

You is smart.

:idea:

Having successfully infiltrated enemy territory, I radioed headquarters for my orders. Would I be able to bring the whole place down? Cover it with carefully-worded graffiti? Give the place a…um…baptism?

Unfortunately, I was told to stand down. When I asked why, they gave me a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo, saying our plans were “against the law” or “frowned upon in decent society”. So I farted in its general direction. If I ever come back, I will insult them for a second time.

You need new Commanders.

Oh, you wanted to see more? Fine. We pressed on, just to satisfy all of you.

Well, yeah, kinda. I mean I'm up to 43,208 PB&J sandwich lunches, and would love to make it an even 50,000.

I mean, any time you can make a guitar out of a bed pan, you just gotta do it.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: That's just rich.

I'll bet it hits the bottom notes pretty well.

Love that The Oblivious Grandparents have made the trek to join. This oughtta be interesting!

Last edited:
And it was partly driven by a desire to avoid being in Texas in the dog days of summer. Because it makes so much more sense for us to spend those days in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama instead.
Sense? Um, well, I don't know about Mississippi and Alabama, but I've been in Louisiana in July and it ain't no picnic. I didn't know I could sweat in those places!

Oh, and then you said some stuff about football but the whole time I was just thinking, yeah, but what about the Philadelphia Flyers who beat my Montreal Canadiens in the conference final in 1986 (oh, but don't worry, the Canadiens got back at them in '88). I've heard of the Eagles and Cowboys and I do watch the Superbowl, but let's be honest, it's mostly for the commercials.

I went with the pulled pork, and was very happy with my choice. Best BBQ ever? No. Worthy of a stop? Absolutely.
Is there such a thing as bad barbecue? I guess it could happen, but it looks pretty awesome. Fire and meat is the best recipe ever.

As fellow road trip/NPS fans...I had to post to say just how much I enjoyed reading your trip report! I have bookmarked it to make notes for future trips, and appreciate all the details/photos/humor that you put into it.

And, I have to ask (I grew up in Albuquerque, NM)...did you try Lotaburger while you were traveling? I still dream of that place, and hit it every time we go back to visit.

Enjoying the bonus trip report.

Glad you're still here!

I'm glad you got something from Southwest for all your trouble last year! And Texas/New Mexico on Spring Break is probably a good idea, not a prime destination for most (read not crowded and busy), but still a good use of the weather in your favor.

Yeah, we were happy that Southwest did something for us, too. I think it was the wet clothes that did it--they shouldn't have had our bags out uncovered during the storm.

Wow! After your discussion of Sports teams and rivalries, I'm glad that I have nothing to do with them. I know out here rooting for the wrong team can get your butt kicked to the point that you become a virtual vegetable, and even though sports (watching them, I enjoyed playing) never interested me, after I realized how much parking lot violence there is, I was glad to avoid them.

I remember hearing about a couple of those incidents. Those are rare, of course. But you always have to worry when people are passionate and then alcohol gets introduced to the equation. Most fans are good sports.

I'm not sure that I've ever tried a Whataburger, but based on your recommendation I doubt I would go out of my way for one. You know your story of driving across Texas reminded me a of a series of novels that I think you would enjoy. They're murder mysteries by author Ben Rehder, The Blanco County Mysteries, and they're really hilarious. The only sane character in the books is the main character who is a Game Warden in Texas, everyone else is just wacko, but they are very engaging stories. I'm glad that I looked this guy up, because he's written four more books since I last listened to them and I put them on our wishlist at Audible.

I'll have to look those up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nice that your parents were playing tour guide for you all, it's fun when someone knows the area and can take you around. That BBQ place looked pretty good, but that was a huge serving of pulled pork! That would last me for several days! Forget the PB&J! I'd be having leftover pulled pork sandwiches!

Yeah, it definitely helped that they knew what they were doing and where they were going. West Texas is really remote!

I can eat a mess of BBQ. Especially when it's good! No leftovers here. Of course, my cholesterol says I should cut down.

It also seems that the Eagles/Cowboys game comes at a pivot point in the season -- one always seems to be knocking the other out of the playoffs. Shame you couldn't have baptized the stadium.

Yeah, I think the NFL puts a lot of divisional games at the end of the year on purpose. I'm sure you'd feel the same way if you drove by the Ravens stadium.

I've driven by a Whataburger, but have never tried one. Now I'm in even less of a hurry to try them out.

I don't think we'll be rushing back.

The barbecue looks pretty good, but of course, the proof is in the eating.

I ate plenty of it!

They can take the reservation...just not produce the vehicle reserved. For us, it seems more often than not, the rental company does not have the car we reserved.

It hasn't been an issue for us...yet. This was the first time it was a scramble.

Our house is right there with you with the Dallas rivalry.....although....we also have a rivalry with the Eagles and Giants......I'm sure you can figure out were our loyalty lies. It's been a loooooonnnnngggggg dry period for us......but we still pay for the NFL package so we can watch the games....sigh.

At least we can be united in our hatred of the Cowboys. And for some reason, I've never had the same hatred for Washington as I do for the Giants. Maybe because I like the city better. I dunno.

This made me chuckle - in our house growing up, we said gag me with a pitchfork - not sure where that came from.

That sounds painful!

:lmao: too perfect

I had way too much fun with that!

Now....this really appeals to me (the road looks like it needs to be repaved) - what is the speed limit? I can see me hitting the pedal to the metal (of course with no other cars in sight). Where I live, we have an area of the freeway that is 16 lanes (between both sides - maybe even 18) and quite often, bumper to bumper traffic.

The speed limit was 70 or 75 in many places. And that's great, because you can really blow through a lot of territory. But all day, with nothing to look at? That always gets old.

Great that your parents are joining you. I'm sure they love spending time with the grandkids.....and ok, you and Julie too.

That is an accurate assessment of the rankings.

You is smart.

:idea:

Let's see what Homer has to say about the matter.

You need new Commanders.

Agreed. Spoilsports.

Well, yeah, kinda. I mean I'm up to 43,208 PB&J sandwich lunches, and would love to make it an even 50,000.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Well, that makes one of us!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: That's just rich.

I'll bet it hits the bottom notes pretty well.

Nobody wants to get close enough to find out.

Love that The Oblivious Grandparents have made the trek to join. This oughtta be interesting!

They proved to be pretty good tour guides.

Sense? Um, well, I don't know about Mississippi and Alabama, but I've been in Louisiana in July and it ain't no picnic. I didn't know I could sweat in those places!

Yeah, that was the joke. We basically just traded one sauna for another.

Oh, and then you said some stuff about football but the whole time I was just thinking, yeah, but what about the Philadelphia Flyers who beat my Montreal Canadiens in the conference final in 1986 (oh, but don't worry, the Canadiens got back at them in '88). I've heard of the Eagles and Cowboys and I do watch the Superbowl, but let's be honest, it's mostly for the commercials.

Last Stanley Cup for Montreal: 1992-93 season.
Last Stanley Cup for Philadelphia: 1975-76 season.

Sorry, I'm not shedding any tears for you here. Although I'm sure we both enjoyed the Ron Hextall vs. Chris Chelios fight in 1989.

Is there such a thing as bad barbecue? I guess it could happen, but it looks pretty awesome. Fire and meat is the best recipe ever.

Yeah, bad barbecue can be over-cooked and really dry. Or undercooked. Or people can go nuts with trying to add flavors.

But still, I agree with you. Hard to improve on that recipe.

As fellow road trip/NPS fans...I had to post to say just how much I enjoyed reading your trip report! I have bookmarked it to make notes for future trips, and appreciate all the details/photos/humor that you put into it.

:welcome:

Thanks for reading along! I've got plenty more TR's and national parks in the links in my signature line, if you really want to waste way too much of your life.

And, I have to ask (I grew up in Albuquerque, NM)...did you try Lotaburger while you were traveling? I still dream of that place, and hit it every time we go back to visit.

No, I don't recall seeing that one out there. But maybe I just didn't know where to look.

Bonus Chapter 1: It’s Like A Whole Other Country.
More like three other states, but there are times when I’d be just fine with this being so.

Guess what?
Hummm, Ok….
A Disney bus driver gave you a bit of inside info that was actually true?

This time the process of flying out of BWI was so routine, and so devoid of drama, I’m going to skip writing about it other than to say we’re thankful that we didn’t have any issues.
Oh…
you wanted me to come up with something improbable rather that something impossible.
My bad.

Southwest Airlines had given us flight credits after our fiasco the previous summer…
And that’s the absolute least they could have done.

…so we’d wanted to make sure we used them before they expired.
Something else that is infinitely logical…

And it was partly driven by a desire to avoid being in Texas in the dog days of summer.
Ummmmm…

Because it makes so much more sense for us to spend those days in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama instead.
Probably should have chosen the “dry” heat over the “wet” verity for the high summer
(but you are ruled by the school calendar)

We landed at Love Field in Dallas, Texas, had no trouble collecting our bags, and went to pick up our rental.
Just don’t be driving through Dealey Plaza with the top down once you hit the road.

On Friday morning, we greeted Dallas by immediately leaving.
And many longtime DFW residents would be pleased by this fact.
“Danged foreigners!”

Well, almost immediately. We had a long drive ahead of us, and our first order of business was to pick up our peanut butter and jelly supplies.
An army travels on is stomach

As a lifelong Philadelphia Eagles fan, Dallas is considered enemy territory.
Just as nearly all the fans of the other thirty teams do.

(although I must admit that they’ve improved from being my second most hatted franchise all the way up to third most despicable. Not because of anything good they’ve done, mind you, but still.)

There is nothing in this world Eagles fans hate more than the Dallas Cowboys. It’s bad enough that they are divisional rivals, but on top of that, there’s an arrogance to everything the Cowboys do that is extremely irritating.
Yep, but… they’ve been eclipsed in that ability in recent years.

Somewhere along the way, they decided to market themselves as “America’s Team”…
The Braves did the same thing around that time…
They’ve earned the same ire from me for it.
(one reason I don’t really have a favorite MLB team.)

but I think what really makes the hatred come to a boil are Dallas Cowboys fans themselves.
Ding, ding ding!!!

But again I say, they have been eclipsed by another group of “fans” who have raise that condition up to high art. (thus raising my opinion of the Dallas fan, if only ever so slightly.)

And I don’t mean the ones who come by it honestly…
Proviso accepted…

It’s amazing how many Cowboys fans I run into who also happen to love the New York Yankees.
:lmao: I do believe that’s just simply understood?

The problem is, I wasn’t even born the last time the Eagles won anything.
Well, I was around the last time one of my teams won a championship, but…
I was rather young (and I am now rather old… rather…)

So, that’s a lot of build-up just to say that we did a drive-by of AT&T Stadium, or as we like to call it, “Jerry World”
I like that moniker.
Will have to borrow that one (giving credit where due, of course)

Having successfully infiltrated enemy territory, I radioed headquarters for my orders. Would I be able to bring the whole place down? Cover it with carefully-worded graffiti? Give the place a…um…baptism?
I’m voting for baptism.

I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

So I farted in its general direction. If I ever come back, I will insult them for a second time.
Just so long as you do it in an outrageous accent.

With supplies in hand, we left Dallas and headed west. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but Texas is big.
That was my experience when we drove the length of it in 73…
Big… wide… long… rather empty
at least as seen from the highways.

Like every other place on earth, I know it’s fascinating if you take time to find out why, but from the perspective of driving (or ridding as a passenger)…

Yeah, not so much.

It would take us the entire day to complete our drive to Carlsbad, New Mexico. Nothing like starting out a vacation with mindless hours on the road.
Well, at least your clothes were dry this time.

Although we’d just picked up food, we broke up our drive by stopping for lunch at a Whataburger.
Never heard of ‘em…

The verdict, all around:

Meh.
Well, you are a burger connoisseur; I suspect most chains would not meet expectations
(but I’ll not go out of my way to test the theory)

Eventually we left Texas Hill Country and then the interstate behind and moved into the desert area we’d expected to see. It made for a very visually stimulating drive.

q3u-sCMAeOFUaILtNUb-Fec2LssIJl7bL5n0tkw6YQhZM_0COhaKv3qqUdd9q6u7hH0fEqU9BW5-AuC35DWvW4W2Pi7oBBYR__h1gJO6QpXPxB1bclX5d0-DAbSnMVsr9K_x4slmH38stQg53jipaYbVFh0Jc1oC1RxG0zywwt9SkdDdR9YUh9jfOVOvg4mglrRn5V9ObROnlQZ0wxU3LZfA9ruluav1_pApMKR0EmijhfuSeq10y2UKYIR88BG5Pzd14Hrzd1tbR93Ukr7KN9AXSQAxHNMeDwPuBSIFbe7nB0YusfRrPE6SrGpOL9nosUKDL5T8kvsBW30gXF1SRtjqEYIZOYOLGvXtF-2D6WaU7CRfVI300mghK6VVZgblC35X8SAg5MIVIYGsVCi8nv7WQtM2UXW-X-ZgelDlj4cwhVlqFRaDU_cg-AJDkqS5KYvmD_3y1iEIlYrsS9LrPodF44tD-vMUiwLsk31Vkstv565uPsDgnPUV0FIDL-IgEjoNAzzo-uslnKosnZ-MA53yTaBo2nMt9WjZfuUY_nMLMQYdtCCseBA37iGZRFkcmRfosQU_TwpCEgofKaDapkKU-pP0vUkIK03xMPFCY6xcC2aFJLBpW4cp=w1226-h818-no
It’s North Dakota all over again.

We arrived in the town of Carlsbad and checked into our hotel. It was there that we met up with our celebrity guests on this particular trip: my mom and dad, who would be joining us for most of the week. West Texas (more specifically, Big Bend National Park) is one of their favorite getaway destinations, and they go back every few years during the spring.
Interesting…
How’d they discover it?
(of course you’re going to get to that, but I just felt like asking to ensure that it happens).

We all went to dinner at the Red Chimney Barbecue, trying to start this trip off right.
I’d take the risk on a spot like this.

A close look at the décor may reveal why this place appealed to us.

BJ_WRuOXYk61OA-0STfcKHKcS2MaEAu2msAlyvstuGY5eJ05I9qxnTadUVy6KB38YyQQUAHM7yJjfearBz8Fs9rHzAVaUNRIAVREzxcHRKYQiMie654mYiImOEbI3Kt2dHE_CWz0zfRop8ukJ2Ov21ym0csmHRuD-o8kJPirHGLcSDKaTl3fnha_er8vfIUKLbMniKgmCRyspnryEqYGxRXwh1-S9CofpF0grKi8j2nEdRZLIq6om1t7JPGU671lBTprd1al0eHE3XZVwEa9NeKYLP_whMrRPNziE3czN2vUGum2wCB9xKKlGnN6N450WXNmn4YymIZb7UFjUWbGSdOouOZwiMSf14BiVoGLUueuGFoLwsbXGYR553_lNxZRyMz5nox_YwObDs9xeTmLmQf0_NPzfat_bko7CDBuU-EJef_jQIw62Xd0YqYUPkILijyUXtHLYdoLL_Aa1O6nNboLG353C4ZKUrUDR-wOg9Ou75BlnX_-HYKSH-wdqjykUEcA9DOeLAM8SMUDHRI9OT0-XlW84ay0VK1J5_nUTieByt8yf3dBE-pcwrRVeDUciniMQ7mmmai8nNyQLeYU79szo97s8hfGWK8YyEWXtyUFbMQ9K92rpDSJ=w570-h854-no
Nice and schizophrenic…
a decent omen for a dinning establishment.

I went with the pulled pork, and was very happy with my choice. Best BBQ ever? No. Worthy of a stop? Absolutely.
Well not all “Q” is miraculous (and bless those places where it is), but you have to work unbelievably hard in order to make “Q” inedible.

Coming Up Next: A Cave of Wonders!
Just don’t be spending 10,000 years there, OK?
It’ll give you such a crick in the neck.

Oh, and while I’m here…
Reminder that July 24th is National Whack Scotty With A Pillow Day.

Just sayin’

Why did the hero flush the toilet?

Because it was his "doody"!

(You know I could go on all day long, right?)

We'll be much better once the doctor comes out of the OR and says everything went well. Until that time, we're parents. We worry about our kids. It's what we do.

Yes. And it doesn't end when they're married apparently. Suddenly your kids-in-law also get the worry treatment. And sometimes they even give you reason to...

:goodvibes

We all take our turn in the meat grinder. Speaking of which, it looks like you're getting your turn now. I hope your SIL is ok!

See comment above...

But yes, he'll in time be fine. Just gonna take some good old fashioned time. And pain meds.

I have to admit that NOLA is going to get short-changed on this trip. We are only going to be there for a very short time, not nearly enough to really say we explored it. As we've often discovered on these trips, you just can't do everything.

No, you just can't. Gotta go with what interests the crowd most and and leave the rest for a (hopeful) next time.

Good to know! About the ease of travel, I mean. What did you think I meant?

Well, the pizza of course. Because pizza > most everything else

It will probably come down to economics for us, but I'll be researching airfare heavily when the time comes.

It always comes down to that, doesn't it?

Timberline Lodge is near Mt. Hood, right? I think I have heard of it before but will need to look into it. And yes--Crater Lake is in the middle of nowhere. Tough to get to, but like I tell my kids--if you want to see something special, you have to do the work to get there. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Yes, it is. So only about an hour and a half from Portland. Crater Lake is a good 4-5 hours from Portland. If I'd choose, I'd say, The Columbia R. Gorge and Timberline Lodge are more worth it than Crater Lake. You can do both the former as a loop drive.

I didn't know about the Oregon Trail Museum in Baker City--this is why I need locals feeding me good intelligence!:thumbsup2

You can count on me!

Whenever I've looked at the Ahwahnee (or whatever they call it now), the prices have made me :eek: :faint:. But if there was ever a place to splurge...

Yeah, it's a crapton to stay, but you can always just pop in for a look-see, do the requisite oohing and ahhing, and take off for cheaper options.

More like three other states, but there are times when I’d be just fine with this being so.

I suspect many could say the same about other states. But we're all in this together.

Hummm, Ok….
A Disney bus driver gave you a bit of inside info that was actually true?

I'm still waiting for Disney to buy back the Marvel amusement park rights from Universal.

Oh…
you wanted me to come up with something improbable rather that something impossible.
My bad.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

And that’s the absolute least they could have done.

I agree.

Something else that is infinitely logical…

Careful. "Logic" and "Oblivious Family" don't often intersect.

Probably should have chosen the “dry” heat over the “wet” verity for the high summer
(but you are ruled by the school calendar)

That's where the expiration of the flight credit came into play. But there's another reason to visit Texas in the spring. I'll get to that later.

Just don’t be driving through Dealey Plaza with the top down once you hit the road.

:eek:

And many longtime DFW residents would be pleased by this fact.
“Danged foreigners!”

I find most people act that way once they find a place to settle down.

An army travels on is stomach

It would have taken forever to get across Texas that way.

Just as nearly all the fans of the other thirty teams do.

(although I must admit that they’ve improved from being my second most hatted franchise all the way up to third most despicable. Not because of anything good they’ve done, mind you, but still.)

So who's on top? The Braves and....?

Yep, but… they’ve been eclipsed in that ability in recent years.

I don't know...I think they've still got it.

The Braves did the same thing around that time…
They’ve earned the same ire from me for it.
(one reason I don’t really have a favorite MLB team.)

Being that they're the Phillies' divisional rivals, I'm naturally disinclined toward them as well. Then there were those countless games watching Maddux and Glavine get strikes called a foot outside every SINGLE TIME...but I'm not bitter.

Ding, ding ding!!!

But again I say, they have been eclipsed by another group of “fans” who have raise that condition up to high art. (thus raising my opinion of the Dallas fan, if only ever so slightly.)

Pretty sure these guys will always be my Public Enemy #1.

:lmao: I do believe that’s just simply understood?

They're probably also Warriors fans...this year.

Well, I was around the last time one of my teams won a championship, but…
I was rather young (and I am now rather old… rather…)

I've seen the Phillies win twice and the Sixers once. The Flyers last won when I was 1 year old. That's all I got.

I like that moniker.
Will have to borrow that one (giving credit where due, of course)

It fits, doesn't it?

I’m voting for baptism.

I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Wish I could have pulled that off.

Just so long as you do it in an outrageous accent.

:thumbsup2

That was my experience when we drove the length of it in 73…
Big… wide… long… rather empty
at least as seen from the highways.

Like every other place on earth, I know it’s fascinating if you take time to find out why, but from the perspective of driving (or ridding as a passenger)…

Yeah, not so much.

I found out that Western Texas was not always desert, but actually suffered from over-grazing by ranches. That was interesting.

Well, at least your clothes were dry this time.

And we're all thankful for that!

Well, you are a burger connoisseur; I suspect most chains would not meet expectations
(but I’ll not go out of my way to test the theory)

As always, some chains are better than others.

It’s North Dakota all over again.

Pretty much. Except for the oil derricks. And I think ND has those now, too.

Interesting…
How’d they discover it?
(of course you’re going to get to that, but I just felt like asking to ensure that it happens).

We first visited Big Bend a couple of decades ago. I was 11 or 12.

I’d take the risk on a spot like this.

Seems a safe bet.

Nice and schizophrenic…
a decent omen for a dinning establishment.

You know I love a place with a sense of humor.

Well not all “Q” is miraculous (and bless those places where it is), but you have to work unbelievably hard in order to make “Q” inedible.

True. I think it was @Terra Nova guy who said meat + fire is the world's best recipe.

Just don’t be spending 10,000 years there, OK?
It’ll give you such a crick in the neck.

It's an itty bitty living space.

Oh, and while I’m here…
Reminder that July 24th is National Whack Scotty With A Pillow Day.

Just sayin’

As always, thanks for the reminder!:thumbsup2

Because it was his "doody"!

(You know I could go on all day long, right?)

:rotfl: I knew I liked you!

Yes. And it doesn't end when they're married apparently. Suddenly your kids-in-law also get the worry treatment. And sometimes they even give you reason to...

So I shouldn't expect my hair to come back anytime soon, is what you're saying.

See comment above...

But yes, he'll in time be fine. Just gonna take some good old fashioned time. And pain meds.

Thank goodness!

No, you just can't. Gotta go with what interests the crowd most and and leave the rest for a (hopeful) next time.

In the interest of full disclosure, New Orleans is not one of my favorite places. We didn't have a great experience there on our first visit when I was a kid.

Well, the pizza of course. Because pizza > most everything else

Now I'm hungry.

It always comes down to that, doesn't it?

Yep. But that's ok. We don't ever want to forget the value of a dollar. And we want the kids to see how to make sacrifices. But also how to find bargains and stretch the dollars you do have!

Yes, it is. So only about an hour and a half from Portland. Crater Lake is a good 4-5 hours from Portland. If I'd choose, I'd say, The Columbia R. Gorge and Timberline Lodge are more worth it than Crater Lake. You can do both the former as a loop drive.

But you're forgetting how greedy we are on these road trips...what if we can do it all!

The only thing right now that hurts me when I look at possible routes is that if we did Crater Lake (or even got as far as Redwood NP), we'd have to do some backtracking in order to get back up to Portland/Seattle. I always hate doing that.

You can count on me!

:thumbsup2 As I look at it, Baker City doesn't fit easily into a road trip, either.

Yeah, it's a crapton to stay, but you can always just pop in for a look-see, do the requisite oohing and ahhing, and take off for cheaper options.

That would be the plan! Actually, it looks like Timberline Lodge would be in that same boat with their prices/lack of availability for 6 in a room.

I suspect many could say the same about other states.
Like the one I live in, for example.
(but as of late, our northern neighbor has been going far out of its way to make us look almost reasonable.)

So who's on top? The Braves and....?
That would be the "Pats"
A supreme mixture of arrogance combined with an insufferable fan base.
(and it's more the fans that tend to be jumpin' up and down on my last nerve)

Careful. "Logic" and "Oblivious Family" don't often intersect.
More like chaos theory, then?

Then there were those countless games watching Maddux and Glavine get strikes called a foot outside every SINGLE TIME...but I'm not bitter.
Oh no...
Not in the least.

They're probably also Warriors fans...this year.
:laughing: its funny only because it's true.

I am a full-service operation here.

::yes::

We've all got those certain things we just can't say no to.

No.

And you can drop anvils on your enemies!

I already do that... But not having to lift them over my head would be nice.

Well, thank you. Mostly those are just describing whatever dumb thing Drew is doing that day.

:laughing: I remember those days. Didn't have Facebook back then, though.

If it was just about me, it would be: got up. Went to work. Worked. Came home. Ate dinner. Went to bed. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sounds familiar.

Yeah, I've been shocked twice in the last 2 doctor visits. Last year was her first out of the brace, and she was still going through the end of puberty. So I thought for sure that her curvature would worsen after taking the brace off. Instead, it measured exactly the same as the year before, at 48 degrees. So this year, I didn't know what to expect, and was waiting for yet another "wait and see" direction from the doctor. Instead, it worsened by 10 degrees. It's been a weird ride, for sure. But I do prefer to have a definite answer over "wait and see".

Quite the ride indeed. I too would prefer a "This is what's wrong. This is how we fix it."

I do that for me, too. If I can joke about it, then it doesn't seem as scary to me.

I know.

It's also, like you noted, a way to release the tension for all of you. It's a signal to let you know that hey, it's ok to joke about it

I know that too. And we appreciate it Mark.

You don't have to be solemn.

Not even in church???

Woot! I am gonna partee!!!!

Life is still going on. We are all called to go through tough stretches in life. There are so many people who have it much worse.

Hmmm... I've heard this many times.... and yet you have to be the one to live your life. So any difficult time you are having is by definition, the worst.
Don't minimize what will be (and is!) a difficult time. Lean on us. We're right here.

The hospital has been really good about putting information in our hands. The doctor is very knowledgeable, and great at taking the time to answer our questions. They put on a seminar once a year where kids who have had this surgery, and parents who have been through it, take the time to talk to us about their experiences. It's been very helpful.

That's really good! I especially like the seminar. I would think that would be a real comfort.

Yeah, I really hope she is home that fast. Nobody wants more than the bare minimum of hospital food. I'll probably have to smuggle food in to her as it is.

No rule against that... unless of course there's a rule against that.

Thank you so much. We appreciate your prayers and everyone else's!

:hug:

As I mentioned at the end of the previous chapter, we ended 2016 with the big kids at 42 states and Drew at 32.

So a do-over of 10 States is imminent...

Sarah just finished her freshman year of high school

I had to Google (before I saw your next sentence about 4 years) to see what that is.
I never know. We just say "Grade 9".... no, not 9th grade. It's a Canadianism to always say "Grade 9".

which is the completely arbitrary deadline we’ve set for ourselves

Those are the best kind.

As it is, we’ll probably start having to deal with summer jobs and trying to schedule our trips around those pretty soon—because working around the school schedule just wasn’t challenging enough.

::yes:: That's why we're going to Vancouver at the end of August... When Elle is done her summer job.

2018: The 50-State Tour goes on hiatus for Drew’s first Walt Disney World Extravaganza. Our reasoning for doing this in 2018 is as follows:

1. It’s Disney. Isn’t that reason enough?

You can stop right there.

I hate crowds.

'nuff said there too.

I’m happy to wait out the crowds and head back for my taste of Star Wars land in a couple of years.

Ditto. I'm in no rush. I like the movies well enough, but I'm not fanatical about it.
Certainly not enough to be constantly elbowed over it.

2019: Pacific Northwest. This will get us to Oregon and Washington (and hopefully we’ll get to see @Steppesister !).

Nice! You guys will like her.
Kay fell in love with her.

Heck, so did I. (Just don't tell Ruby!)

2020: Just after Sarah graduates high school, we’ll be ready to take on Alaska. As long as I have the funding figured out by then.

You might want to pick Alison's brain on that one.

I have a co-worker who did an Alaskan cruise with his family.
What he did was take a small inner berth and a large outer.
That way the kids had a place to crash and a place to sit during the day.

4. Museum of Science & Industry, Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for the tip!

3. (tie) The Machine Shed, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Thanks for the tip!

2. Wurst Bier Hall, Fargo, North Dakota

Liked that one, didja?

(Tie) I-94 through North Dakota

Basically, just don’t drive in the Midwest.

Yeah... Guess what I'm doing next week?

Things I Never Need To Experience Again

5. I-94 through North Dakota

:sad2:

1. 9 hours of flight delays, followed by a cancellation, followed by our bags disappearing for 2 days, followed by getting up at 1:30 a.m. for the new flight, followed by discovering all of our clothes are soaked in our luggage.

ouch

Biggest Regrets

3. Missing out on lunch in Fargo with @pkondz
2. Being unable to figure out how to fit Winnipeg into the itinerary

Awww...

Actually, Winnipeg was just picked by... I think ABC news? as the 2nd best place to see in Canada.

4. The Martian, Andy Weir
1. 11/22/63, Stephen King

Read those two. Great reads!

Have I lost you yet? You’re still here?

Yep!

Day 1: Driving all day to my uncle’s place in Virginia. Crash there.

Dude. Don't use the words "drive" and "crash" on the same line!

Day 4: Georgia Aquarium, Atlanta, Georgia

Bucket list.

Day 15: Crash.

Dude!

Like the one I live in, for example.
(but as of late, our northern neighbor has been going far out of its way to make us look almost reasonable.)

Both parties get really ugly when they swing to extremes. Like now, for instance.

That would be the "Pats"
A supreme mixture of arrogance combined with an insufferable fan base.
(and it's more the fans that tend to be jumpin' up and down on my last nerve)

Ah, good choice. I don't see too many of their fans around here, so Dallas annoys me more. With the Pats, I get more irritated at the team.

More like chaos theory, then?

Perfect!

Oh no...
Not in the least.

Stupid umpires.

:laughing: its funny only because it's true.

Gotta call it as you see it!

From this I take it that you already wave an initial set of musts for the Northwest trip.
I'd be curious to hear the preliminary list.

Well, my current idea is to fly into either Seattle or Portland. I definitely want to try and get to several National Parks: Olympic, Mt. Rainier, North Cascades, Glacier. I also want to include Mt. St. Helens and the Columbia River Gorge. I also have the crazy idea to try and include Crater Lake and Redwood NP. The only problem there is that it would include a good deal of backtracking, which I always hate to do. We could also sneak across the border to Vancouver.

Bacon?

I already do that... But not having to lift them over my head would be nice.

That really is a pain. We need a forklift.

:laughing: I remember those days. Didn't have Facebook back then, though.

The kids are always more entertaining than we are.

Sounds familiar.

Mine is different from your daily itinerary in that it includes going to sleep.

Quite the ride indeed. I too would prefer a "This is what's wrong. This is how we fix it."

Always better when you know what to expect. Now we have a couple of months to study and ask questions and get prepared.

I know that too. And we appreciate it Mark.

:goodvibes

Not even in church???

Woot! I am gonna partee!!!!

I think evidence abounds that God has a sense of humor. Nothing wrong with laughing in church!

Hmmm... I've heard this many times.... and yet you have to be the one to live your life. So any difficult time you are having is by definition, the worst.
Don't minimize what will be (and is!) a difficult time. Lean on us. We're right here.

I appreciate you saying that, and I appreciate all of you for being good friends. I think as we get closer, I'll start to worry more and will definitely need to reach out.

But I also think it's very important to keep perspective. I have good health insurance, the surgery is being performed by a top-notch professional, and it should result in better quality of life for my daughter. This is a good thing.

That's really good! I especially like the seminar. I would think that would be a real comfort.

It was excellent. Lots of questions answered, and by people who have been through the exact same procedure. This hospital really takes care of its patients.

No rule against that... unless of course there's a rule against that.

Even if there is a rule...well, you may have noticed: I'm excellent at playing dumb.

So a do-over of 10 States is imminent...

Yep. And they're scattered all over so it'll be hard to pick it up. And the worst part is, we'll be forced to do Hawaii all over again.

I had to Google (before I saw your next sentence about 4 years) to see what that is.
I never know. We just say "Grade 9".... no, not 9th grade. It's a Canadianism to always say "Grade 9".

It's always interesting to find out that phrases which I think of as standard English are actually American slang. I had no idea "freshman" wasn't a common term. You learn something every day.

So, yes...she just finished Grade 9. Three more years until we're incurring more massive debt.

Those are the best kind.

You never get anything done unless you set a deadline, right?

::yes:: That's why we're going to Vancouver at the end of August... When Elle is done her summer job.

Makes perfect sense. Our school schedules screw that up even more. We often go back earlier in August. They pushed it back to August 28 this year, so we scheduled our road trip for mid-August. Now her field hockey coach is annoyed with us because they're allowed to start practice on Aug. 15 and we won't be around. :sad2:

I figure, tough cookies. They've squeezed summer down to 2 months as it is. We're taking a break. Deal with it.

You can stop right there.

I knew it!

'nuff said there too.

It's going to be absolutely nuts.

Ditto. I'm in no rush. I like the movies well enough, but I'm not fanatical about it.
Certainly not enough to be constantly elbowed over it.

::yes:: Preaching to the choir here. It'll be there for a long time. Plenty of time to see it. I usually wait to see the movies until well after opening weekend, too. Much lower crowds and I don't have to sit next to somebody dressed up as Chewbacca.

Nice! You guys will like her.
Kay fell in love with her.

Heck, so did I. (Just don't tell Ruby!)

Awwww...:lovestruc

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me!

You might want to pick Alison's brain on that one.

I have a co-worker who did an Alaskan cruise with his family.
What he did was take a small inner berth and a large outer.
That way the kids had a place to crash and a place to sit during the day.

Good idea. I priced a Disney cruise out just for fun the other day and for 2 inside staterooms it was $10,000. :scared1::faint:

Thanks for the tip!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for the tip!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Liked that one, didja?

Very much so! And thanks for the tip!

Yeah... Guess what I'm doing next week?

So...where will you be, exactly? I will be in Des Moines, Iowa for the first part of the week at a work conference.

Awww...

Actually, Winnipeg was just picked by... I think ABC news? as the 2nd best place to see in Canada.

Well, NOW you tell me!

Read those two. Great reads!

So are the rest of 'em!

I didn't expect The Martian to be as hilarious as it was. Thought they did a decent job with the movie, too.

And 11/22/63...that book was my favorite kind of story--it had a little bit of everything. 800 pages long, and I didn't want it to end.

Dude. Don't use the words "drive" and "crash" on the same line!

Excellent point. We'll, uh... put in for the evening.

Bucket list.

It's supposed to be a good one!

Sorry.

yes

The kids are always more entertaining than we are.

::yes::

Mine is different from your daily itinerary in that it includes going to sleep.

I'm not familiar with that word.

I think evidence abounds that God has a sense of humor. Nothing wrong with laughing in church!

All right! "Mark said it was okay to leap over the pews and light up a hibachi."

I think as we get closer, I'll start to worry more and will definitely need to reach out.

And we'll be here.

But I also think it's very important to keep perspective. I have good health insurance, the surgery is being performed by a top-notch professional, and it should result in better quality of life for my daughter. This is a good thing.

Yes. Yes it is.

Even if there is a rule...well, you may have noticed: I'm excellent at playing dumb.

You were playing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter