A Golden-Grand-Slam-Outta-the-Park Alaskan Cruise! COMPLETE 7/18!!!!!!

Also, I've sure it's been mentioned before but what camera did you use? And more importantly what lenses did you use? I'm trying to decide if I should get a macro or telephoto or something beyond my standard 18-55 Nikon lens. Thanks! :flower1:

I would love to know this too. I have been wondering if I want to buy a new lens for my Canon.

Lovely report! I've been following for the pat few months as we take this trip in only 70 days :scared:. Anyways, we will be doing a floatplane in Ketchikan as well as a Helicopter tour/ glacier walk in Juneau, just like ya'll did. When it came to the motion, how was it? Did ya'll take any meds before hand as to not get to queasy or anything? Was it a lot of up and down or pretty stable? Also please let me know how you usually fair when it comes to motion (i.e. can you handle amusement park rides, to what degree).

Hi and thank you! I am so happy when this helps people! We don't get motion sick, so I am sorry, but I can't help you there. Both were fine for us, though- and the cruise itself was very calm (kind of how I would imagine a river cruise to be). Do you wear a patch on the ship? I would think that would cover you on the helicopter and the plane, no?

Also, I've sure it's been mentioned before but what camera did you use? And more importantly what lenses did you use? I'm trying to decide if I should get a macro or telephoto or something beyond my standard 18-55 Nikon lens. Thanks! :flower1:

I wrote the answer below- Kristi wanted to know, too!

I would love to know this too. I have been wondering if I want to buy a new lens for my Canon.

I used this lens on my Canon EOS T3i - it's a 18-200 zoom. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...standard-zoom-lenses/ef-s-18-200mm-f-35-56-is BUT...if you don't want to buy it, you can rent lenses. Google it- it would be much cheaper than buying that lens. That is what another writer of TRs did on here (Zweihund- look her TRs up- she is A GODDESS!!!!!! :lovestruc SOooo funny!!).

I just finished reading your TR and it has me so excited for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and the details. I'm definitely incorporating some of your recommendations into our trip!

Fantastic Updates Ellen! You guys are so adventurous. Loved all the photos from the plane ride. That looked awesome. And so does all the food! Yummmmm.

Yay you are back to updating! Alaska is stunning! Those bears are amazing...love the paw shot. :) The plane tour sounds fantastic. Making a mental note to check into it when I finally start planning my Alaska trip.

Jill in CO

Wow, you've been an updating machine! How was your excursion in the little plane in Ketchican? It looks a bit tiny to me….

Those bear pics are awesome! I love the paw one too.

Did I miss the part about the banana slug - was there an incident or did you just catch a picture of one?

Are you going to do a TR for your upcoming cruise? (hoping yes… :))

I finally got all caught up Loving all the pictures. This cruise looks like so much fun and the scenery is just amazing!!!!

Finally, finally caught up here too! Now that was update overload! But I loved each and every one of them - especially since you had MY breakfast. :rotfl2:

we were booked with Rum Runners- a private excursion, not through DCL. I highly recommend this company, the price was about the same as what we would have paid for a big boat with 50 other people- and we would book them again and again.
Making note for when I finally get over myself and just do the Alaska cruise again.....

Brandi is the new dog- over the winter, they had sadly lost their dog, Moon, who was reputed to bark when she saw whales- and then the whales would be curious and come over to the boat to check her out. Brandi is a puppy in training. :)
I know this is going to sound bizarre, but we literally were just aboard a boat with a whale-spotting dog last week! I may do a mini-TR within my current DLR one. ;)

All of these, and all that follow, are just AMAZING. Willow was sitting near me, spotted one of these, and made me scroll back up so that she could examine every whale picture. AMAZING!!!!

This beach was a lot of fun to watch- I felt like we were in an episode of National geographic! There was not another boat or plane or human in sight. It was spectacular!
This is just spectacular - maybe the best vacation excursion EVER.

This post is making me very frustrated with the font. FYI.
I'm sur you have managed to work it all out, but just in case - type your post (or copy from Word or Pages), highlight the whole thing, and then pick the size, color, font that you want for the post, and it will all be done for you. Like I said - I'm late to the party here and you've almost certainly become totally accustomed to the new boards. ;)

Alaska%20August%202014%201833_zpsvdvtw3lu.jpg
Great pic of the two of you and the glacier!

I mean, who doesn't want some FRESH Alaskan King Crab Legs when you are up there
I do! I do!

They had some specials going, too, but those were with snow crab, and I am not the biggest fan of snow crab. Well, if there is Alaskan King as an option anyway!
Pfft to snow crab! Bring on the King!!!!!!

YOU are MINE!

Why is this not real and sitting before me right now to be devoured.

I really need to eat dinner - this report is killing me right now.....

So...after dinner, it was time for the most WONDERFUL and beautiful Palo dinner we have ever had.
I can't wait!

(I dined at Palo 3 times on our Alaska cruise - I think that, combined with the presence of Remy, made the Fantasy's version of Palo not so exciting for me.)

The sky was magnificently on fire. I just had tears, no words.

ALL of your sunset pictures are beyond amazing. A wonderful combination of Mother Nature at her finest and some very good photography. You are killing me - with every post, I am *this* much closer to doing this cruise again.....

And when I went out on deck this time, the view had become even more moving. Because now, the sun was just not setting in the most spectacular fashion, but a pod of whales had shown up to enjoy it themselves.
Oh, shut up!!!!! :faint:

If you look, there are 3 whales together in the lower right corner here-

I see them!!!! And this photograph is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

My favorite one- a whale's tail-

Beyond insanely insane. I want to BE THERE!

BEST. DINNER. EVER.
No kidding! :faint:

So, where was I...oh yea- we had finished the most glorious meal ever in Palo, and headed over to see Ricky Kalmon hypnotize some folks (which, I have to say, is ALWAYS entertaining!!)
Okay, trying to get over all that has come before. Breathe, breathe, breathe.

Okay, someday I am truly going to manage to see some of this nighttime entertainment. These kinds of things sound so fun! And yet, either Willow decides to spend the evening with me (which, of course, I'm not saying is a bad thing by any means) or she goes to the club, and I just grab my Kindle and a drink and relax. Maybe it's awkward going to these things alone? I don't know - I just never think to do it! :laughing:

Oh, hello, little birdie!

Which, for a very long time, were cute little brothels.
Awwwwww

Pods really prefers shopping over hookers
Well, THAT's a plus!

(OK- that's a lie. Pods hates to shop. Hoping he feels similarly about hookers. He puts up a heck of a good front, at any rate!)
Oh, wait.....

:rotfl2:

The day was so clear, you could easily see Deer Mountain-

I remember when we were docked in this lovely sunny town with views of the mountain. It was DRIZZLING and GREY. I didn't even know there WAS a mountain! :rotfl2:

Wow - all the pics of the views from the plane - incredible!

We landed next to the hatchery. Can I just tell you, this whole flight was a thrill, but landing? In WATER???? It was CRAZEEEEEE!!!!
See, I'm not so sure I could do this. I would WANT to do this, and I would do better with this than a helicopter, but I don't know. Of course, after seeing what you saw next, I think I would go for it!

As soon as we got there though, we saw our first bear!

GAH!!! So awesome!

Well, the little bear left, and a few minutes later, this BIG guy came out!!

NO WAY!

Seriously - the bear pictures! Holy cow! Holy bear? Whatever - what an amazing experience!

The hour and a half had flown by. What an amazing final excursion on our Alaskan adventure. Talk about going out with a bang!
No kidding! Just mind-blowing!

Tyler and Tim's future employment opportunity, the salmon cannery-

:laughing: As a Pacific Northwesterner, I have known many classmates back in the day who spent a summer working the fishing boats and canneries in Alaska.

Of course, we all had Alaskan King Crab Legs-

Stop doing that to me!!!! :faint:

We were having a good time, Tim and I, before they both left to hang in Vibe....

I love this picture! So cute!

We went to Wavebands, where Lynn Trefzger, Ventriloquist, was performing her adult show. SHE. IS. HILARIOUS!!!!!!! We laughed BIG- as in HUGE belly laughs. Everyone did, it was a great show! She was using people as puppets.
This sounds so funny! Again, one day, I will do these things! :laughing:

Ahhh...sea days. I love them! On an Alaskan cruise? I love them even more. They are just SO BEAUTIFUL!!
I think it's because Alaska on the Wonder was my first cruise that I have such an intense love of sea days. :goodvibes

I must have been channeling Karin with this breakfast!
You certainly were!!! :rotfl2:

He really made some nice friendships onboard the Wonder- these kids still Skype with each other. How awesome is that!
This is so cool! I love reading this.

I tried to hold out for my upcoming 5 night Magic cruise next month to see the new Cinderella- but I just couldn't do it, I had to go last weekend. It was SO great, cried through the whole thing!! Absolutely magical! Will be viewing it again with my girlfriends 4 weeks from tomorrow
Wasn't it great??? Willow and I ended up seeing it on opening weekend, and we were both totally impressed. The costumes alone were worth the price of admission!

I am really enjoying your trip report. I have never considered an Alaska cruise before but after seeing your pictures I definitely am!

Oh, it was lovely to catch up on your TR. Fabulous stories and photos in your last few entries. Thank you again!

Your last installment is having me really, really, really looking forward to sea days in Alaska! Your lunch view :cloud9:

Hi Ellen, I have been embarrassingly absent from your thread but have just enjoyed catching up over my breakfast :)
Your photos are beautiful!
I really want to go back to Alaska now!
Lx

I just finished reading your TR and it has me so excited for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and the details. I'm definitely incorporating some of your recommendations into our trip!

YAY!! I hope you have an amazing vacation- in fact, I know you will- thanks for talking to me!

Looks like youre having a great trip.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ALISON!!!!!! :flower1::rockband::rockband::rockband::butterfly:daisy: I know you are having the best one ever!!!!
Those bear pics are awesome! I love the paw one too.

Thank you!!!!

Did I miss the part about the banana slug - was there an incident or did you just catch a picture of one?

Just a pic.... I did see one in HHI too tho!

Are you going to do a TR for your upcoming cruise? (hoping yes… :))[/QUOTE]

Love you for the positivity (which- of Course, you always have) but..... we'll see....

I finally got all caught up Loving all the pictures. This cruise looks like so much fun and the scenery is just amazing!!!!

I need to catch up on yours!!! I love you , JEN!!!!

Finally, finally caught up here too! Now that was update overload! But I loved each and every one of them - especially since you had MY breakfast. :rotfl2:

LOL- I bet you feel caught up now! And well, who doesn't have YOUR breakfast ??? HMMMMM????:love:

Your trip report has been awesome. We are really looking forward to our Alaska cruise this year the same week that yours was.

AMAZING trip report! Your sunset pics...the bears...can't wait for own cruise this year.

Enjoying your report! Was wondering if a new post was coming soon? I'm hooked!

A 1,000 'I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOORRRYYYYYYY!!!!"

I have been so unfortunately caught up in a lot of rather messy melodrama in 'life 101' these past 6 months...

its now behind me........................

end result -

am getting caught up on yer trip report.:yay:

glad to see u r still on DISboards.

T.T.F.N.
& CHEERS Y'ALL
from Ladybugpaw: & Yours Truely :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter