A four day weekend full of firsts.

eargal

Mouseketeer
My DH and I just got back from a 4 day weekend in the world. We were on the DDP (a first for us) so we tried some new restaurants. Neither of us is a foodie but we are both in our mid-thirties and have crossed the line where quality is preferred over quantity.

I will rate each experience based on:
Atmosphere
Service
and
Food

Rating system from one to five thumbs up.

Day One

Counter Service at POFQ-lunch
DH-steak and cheese sand., chocolate cake
Me-chicken parm., beginets

Atmosphere-The decor was festive. There was plenty of seating.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Service-I'm not sure how anyone on the dining plan who has not researched it even manages to get things ordered here. I tried to ask questions and felt like I wasn't even speaking english half of the time. No one offered any information without serious proding and any questions I asked were responded to with barely audible grunting or pointing. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Food-
Steak sand-DH said it was fine but wished the bread had been toasted or grilled.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Chicken Parm.-The chicken patty itself was nummy and crispy. The sauce was too sweet for me and the pasta was soggy and over cooked. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Chocolate Cake-Dry...:thumbsup2
Beginets-I had read up on these and was expecting a doughnut like pastry. i would describe them more like an elephant ear from the county fair. They are wonderful. The texture is firm and chewy.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

BOMA-dinner
Atmosphere-The lodge is georgous! I liked the set-up of the buffet as it seemed spread out enough to prevent bunching. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Service-Juan was our server. He was informative and efficient. He was not very "warm" but was certainly polite and good at his job. The whole staff was helpful and we never wanted for anything.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Food-We had a wide variety of foods. The soups were amazing. The prime rib was delicious and we both loved most of the other dishes. I found the Zebra domes to be a bit sweet for me but loved the coconut tiramisu.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

POFQ counter service-breakfast
DH-breakfast platter
Me-cinnamon roll

Food-The breakfast platter was filling and basically non-remarkable. Everything (eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes) was barely warm but totally edible. The biscuit was dry.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Counter Service near Tower of Terror in MGM.
DH-double bacon cheeseburger, side salad
Me-chicken strips, side salad

Atmosphere-Plenty of seating. Pretty clean.
Service-They were nice enough to allow side salads rather than desserts on the DDP.
Food- DH said his hamburger was fine but he shouldn't have ordered the double since it was just too much meat. It's what I call a bad meat to bun ratio. The salads were basic iceburg mix but were fresh and good. The chicken strips were pretty good. I love chicken strips so for those of you who share my love, let me say this...they are better than Wendys or McDonalds, just as good as jack-in-the-box but not as good as Applebees.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Coral Reef-dinner
Atmosphere-Very pretty. Loved sitting by the tanks. Everything was very clean. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Service-I am very mixed on this. It was our anniversary. Everything was very slow and each time our waitress came to the table she seemed rushed and upset. I saw her with other tables and she was the same everywhere she went. She was sweet to bring us a special anniversary dessert and champagne but again, almost seemed upset the whole time and would make comments about what she had going on in her section to excuse herself from the long wait we had for everything.
Food-
DH-Shrimp cocktail, prime rib
Me-Mixed greens salad, strip steak
DH reported that his meal was just o.k. My salad was delicious but my steak was disgusting. It was full of fat and grissle. I had maybe 5 good bites. Hopefully I just got a bad piece. I know it was a strip steak and I wasn't expecting filet quality, this was just bad. The potatoes were o.k. and the vegetables were undercooked even though I like firm veggies. The carrots still tasted raw.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
Dessert-I had hoped to try the chocolate wave but the waitress suprised us with an anniversary dessert which was rasberries and diced pineapple with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and a chocolate champagne glass filled with chocolate mousse. It was good but neither of us like mousse so we just ate the fruit. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
The bill would have been 129.00 with tax and 18% tip. I would not have been happy to pay that much for this meal.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Sounds like Boma was the only real good meal you had. I'm happy to hear about the Coral Reef. You've helped us to narrow down our choices in deciding not to go there.

Awesome stuff - great and informative review. Especially thrilled to see Boma getting a great review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter