A Foodie's Honeymoon - Better Late than Never DR - Hollywood Brown Derby 10/23

I'm really enjoying your reviews Rosey! Your wonderful food photos are making me salivate as well, LOL! I've never considered going to Captain's Grille but after reading your review it's on my must do list for next time! I can't wait to read about your V&A experience! :thumbsup2

Hi Rosey! What an awesome meal at Captain's Grill. I was excited to read a review other than breakfast that wasn't a steak. Awesome experience!

Yeah.. about Sci Fi.. at least they have the cool theming. ;) And the food at 50's has never wowed me... just ok with a theme that I like. Now I do like the brownie sundae but perhaps because everything else about the meal is so meh that it is finally something I like!! :rolleyes1

I had a lot to catch-up on! Yikes!

Anyway, it was good to see your review of the LTT, since it's a new place that we will be trying on our upcoming trip. It was nice to hear you enjoyed your food, so hopefully we will also enjoy ours.

I usually tend to stay away from buffets, never having had really good experiences at them, the exception being at the Tusker House, so I wasn't all that surprised to hear your review of 1900 PF. It's awesome you got to have a character meal with Alice though! :goodvibes

I've stayed away from the Cali Grill because most of the options look as though they're sushi - which isn't a bad thing, as I enjoy sushi, it's just that we have so many great sushi restaurants here that I'm afraid of going to a "fancy" place like that to pay a lof of money for sushi that we could get here at home for a cheaper price. Maybe one day we'll splurge though, because that meal looked fantastic!

The first plate of food at Cape May looked absolutely fantastic! I may also have to re-think my virtually no buffet rule :laughing:

For me the 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Diner are about par with food quality, as you also found, but for me it's the theming that really keeps me going back. I am so tempted to try something else other than the fried chicken this trip, but I'm fearing that I might regret it...

Captain's Grille looked great as well! :thumbsup2

I am not sure how I missed your reviews before! I loved seeing some of the dishes you were whipping up at home. A few of your pics didn't show up but the descriptions made my mouth water!

Your reviews are great too!

What an impressive review of Captain's Grille! I don't think I've ever seen a review of the place other than breakfast. Those fries and that apple buckle look excellent. I'm not a big crab/lobster fan but I'm sure I could find something to slide between the fries and apple buckle.

Yay! :banana: I'm so happy that you enjoyed Captain's Grille so much! I think it's such a solid choice, and it's a must-do for me when we're staying in the Epcot area. The atmosphere is quiet and understated, with a subtle nautical theme that works perfectly at the Yacht Club. As for the food, I've really enjoyed it for both breakfast and lunch!

The salt and vinegar fries sound great. The crab cake also looks wonderful - I love crab cakes that contain lots of crab and as little breading as possible, so that looks great. I had the lobster roll before they turned it into sliders, and I was impressed by how authentic it was (chunks of lobster; not too much mayo and filler; buttery roll; etc). The sliders look just as good. And the apple buckle looks fantastic! I recently saw it on CG's menu and that dessert stood out to me. It's so exciting to see a rave review (and gorgeous picture) of it already. :goodvibes

It was such a wonderful experience, DDW. I can't get over how well the meal tasted. I am so happy I decided to get my ADR here instead of a resto in Hollywood Studios.

I'm really enjoying your reviews Rosey! Your wonderful food photos are making me salivate as well, LOL! I've never considered going to Captain's Grille but after reading your review it's on my must do list for next time! I can't wait to read about your V&A experience! :thumbsup2

Thank you so much, Carol! I am now down to my very last review, sigh. It is bittersweet to me. I may just do the photography tips post before I finish with thr V&A finale. I can't believe it is almost over.

Hi Rosey! What an awesome meal at Captain's Grill. I was excited to read a review other than breakfast that wasn't a steak. Awesome experience!

Yeah.. about Sci Fi.. at least they have the cool theming. ;) And the food at 50's has never wowed me... just ok with a theme that I like. Now I do like the brownie sundae but perhaps because everything else about the meal is so meh that it is finally something I like!! :rolleyes1

Brenda, you are totally right. Sometimes when a train of mediocre food parks itself in front of you, something even slightly better can shine out of the ordinary event though it isn't as good as the one of the dishes in your fave restaurants.

Captain's Grille looks very interesting Rosey. I would go just for the salt and vinegar fries.:thumbsup2

The fries were so good, Rachel. So simple but so good!

I had a lot to catch-up on! Yikes!

Anyway, it was good to see your review of the LTT, since it's a new place that we will be trying on our upcoming trip. It was nice to hear you enjoyed your food, so hopefully we will also enjoy ours.

I usually tend to stay away from buffets, never having had really good experiences at them, the exception being at the Tusker House, so I wasn't all that surprised to hear your review of 1900 PF. It's awesome you got to have a character meal with Alice though! :goodvibes

I've stayed away from the Cali Grill because most of the options look as though they're sushi - which isn't a bad thing, as I enjoy sushi, it's just that we have so many great sushi restaurants here that I'm afraid of going to a "fancy" place like that to pay a lof of money for sushi that we could get here at home for a cheaper price. Maybe one day we'll splurge though, because that meal looked fantastic!

The first plate of food at Cape May looked absolutely fantastic! I may also have to re-think my virtually no buffet rule :laughing:

For me the 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Diner are about par with food quality, as you also found, but for me it's the theming that really keeps me going back. I am so tempted to try something else other than the fried chicken this trip, but I'm fearing that I might regret it...

Captain's Grille looked great as well! :thumbsup2

I totally hear you about staying away from buffet food because usually it is mass produced and the quality has to dip somewhere. Cape May's selection really surprised me.

As for the sushi, I really want to try Kimonos next time and see how it measures up against Cali Grill.

Your trip is so close, Rachel! I am so excited for you!

I am not sure how I missed your reviews before! I loved seeing some of the dishes you were whipping up at home. A few of your pics didn't show up but the descriptions made my mouth water!

Your reviews are great too!

Thank you so much for being here! I am about two reviews away from finishing. I feel quite sad about it. :(

What an impressive review of Captain's Grille! I don't think I've ever seen a review of the place other than breakfast. Those fries and that apple buckle look excellent. I'm not a big crab/lobster fan but I'm sure I could find something to slide between the fries and apple buckle.

Pasta is an option for an entree! I believe I saw a pasta dish listed on the menu. :D

8040596590_4dd2d67250_c.jpg

8040616769_c6b647826e_c.jpg

Duxelle Napoleon with Blue Affinee *(app)

Beautiful mushrooms sandwiched in between crisp, delicate layers. It was definitely very mushroomy! I loved how the blue cheese compliments this dish very well. I ate them together and the flavours blended well. The strong mushrooms were tempered by the equally strong cheese. The layers added crispness and provided a lovely texture to the app. Being a mushroom lover, I loved it.

Rating:
alicerating5.jpg

8040630376_52ba2f7e34_c.jpg

Andouille Prawn with Cheddar Grits, Greens, and Chorizo (App)

This was a perfect marriage of spicy and creamy. The spiciest of the chorizo really complemented the creaminess of the cheddar grits. The prawn itself was crispy and subtle in flavour. It made an excellent bridge between the two flavours. The greens were perfectly cooked as well. The bowl was totally clean when I finished. This is one of my most favorite apps during my trip.

Rating:
alicerating5.jpg

8040614328_6fdddce9f0_c.jpg

American Bison with Cocoa Espresso BBQ Sauce and Croquettes (Entree)

I never had bison before. This was prepared really pink and tender. It was marshmallow soft and created a perfect palette for the delicious cocoa espresso barbecue sauce. I absolutely loved it. However, the croquettes was a disappointment. The description in the menu stated it was laced with truffle oil. I couldn't taste it at all. It was really bland. Despite this, the entree itself is still quite stellar.

Rating:
alicerating5.jpg

8040610973_347e30197d_c.jpg

Spit-Roasted Half Chicken (Entree)
DH ordered this. He hated it, lol. He said it tasted like regular rotisserie chicken from the supermarket.*

8040594443_141e72a4cb_c.jpg

Derby Original Grapefruit Cake (Dessert)

It was well prepared and beautiful. I am impressed with the way it is made but taste-wise, I just didn't care for it. It was a bit too bitter for me. I was hoping it would be a great balance between the sweetness of the icing and the grapefruit. It was too much on the grapefruit side for me.

Rating:
madhatterrating3.jpg

Overall, the Hollywood Brown Derby is one of my favourite restaurants. I will definitely be back again. The presentation of the dishes are gorgeous and the taste is excellent. It had a few minor hiccups - croquettes and the dessert that it didn't quite reach the perfect rating.

Rating:
whiterabbitrating4.jpg

These were my favorite shots out of the whole trip... Aside from the V&A review coming up. I am almost done my first attempt at reviews. I can't believe it and I feel really sad somehow. There were some photography shots I wasn't too pleased with but overall, I think I managed to do what I wanted. I will be doing a photography tips post before my V&A finale review swan song. Thank you for all the support and sweet compliments. I am going together my sad butt down and start writing up that photography post soon.

I'm sad your review is almost over too Rosey. :sad1: I hope you can make another trip to the World soon so we can all live vicariously through your beautiful photos and mouthwatering descriptions. ::yes:: Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and talents with us! :hug:

Rosey you are putting me to shame with the pace of my reviews... :rolleyes1 Your choices at HBD look so much better than those that we tried - I would love to try that shrimp/grits app! :)

All of your photos have been stunning - I don't think you have a "bad" one so I for one am looking forward to your photo tips. I've probably mentioned more than once that I have a Nikon 3100 but keep it on auto mode - for shame!! Almost all of my food photos are with my Sony HX1. I for one am going to take a front row seat at your photo 101 class!! ;)

Brown Derby - yum. The prawn appetizer looks so good, and I also really enjoyed the bison (although it sounds like the croquettes were off - I definitely noticed the truffle flavor in my dish). As for the grapefruit cake, I'm a fan, but it seems to receive mixed reviews. At least you tried it. :goodvibes

I was away for a week so I am playing catch up! :)
Seriously, those were the best photos I've ever seen taken at Sci Fi! I know you've told (and it may have even be me who asked lol) but what kind of DSLR do you use and lens? I agree about Sci Fi, it's more for the atmosphere, thats why we always go!
Captains Grille looks awesome, there have been so many positive reviews from there, we may have to check it out It all looks wonderful especially that crab cake :goodvibes
I've never been to HBD, but I've always wanted too! I read mixed reviews but the food looks pretty solid! The Napoleon app sounds amazing, I love mushrooms! And the grapefruit cake looks beautiful and I want to love it, but I hate grapefruit! I know it's a fab around here but I think I will just enjoy the pics :rotfl:
Thanks for all the reviews, and beautiful food pics. I'm sad it's almost over but I can't wait for V&A! :cheer2:

Your reviews really make me with that I like seafood - your photos and descriptions are so amazing!! I haven't tried bison either but I may give that a shot at some point based on the great reviews of AP and yours here at HBD.

Lovely photos and reviews as always!!:)

The Brown Derby is one of our favorites too Rosey. My husband would love both of the appys you chose, but I think your husband's chicken looks interesting. I get the grapefruit cake every time we go to HBD. I don't eat the peppermint stripe icing on the side of it or the dehydrated grapefruit on top, but I just love the rest of the cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter