A few random questions from a DL newbie

LILOLO

I'm a little off.
Hi all :wave2:

i have a few questions since i've never been to DL. First, i booked ramada inn maingate for june 8-11 :cool1: theier website says "walking distance" to DL. Does this mean its just possible to walk to the park, or that its actually close. also, is that to DL, DCA, and DTD? Itll be me(29) DH(30) and my niece(9) if that makes a difference.

second question is regarding seating for rides. im not worried about most, but for like HM or buzz lightyear, since theres 3 of us, will they sit the odd adult out by themself in a buggy, or with a stranger? not worried about rides with people in front or behind, but when its a little cozy like the buggies lol.

lastly, this is a last minute trip, and im used to planning dining for wdw for months. im assuming we'll need to stick to counter service in the parks, us that right? any suggestions? also any suggestions for a table service that might accept walkups?

thank you so much in advance fellow disers!

ps... im also still completely list about WOC but ill need to research that more lol

They're actually telling the truth. The walk isn't bad at all.

For Buzz or HM, you can do 2 and 1 or a tight 3 in each ride vehicle. They won't put you with a stranger.

Most table service restaurants will accept walkups, however there may be a wait. The exception would be Blue Bayou (on most days).

Let me just add more little tidbit. Unlike WDW, you can't even call for dinner reservations until 60 days out, and you can get into pretty much any of the sit down places with just calling in a week before. So go ahead and book now if you think you know what you want. As the PP mentioned though, in many of them, you can literally just walk up and if you are willing to wait a little while, you will get in. Also Downtown Disney with all its nice restaurants is literally right there... a 5-10 minute walk from the gate. So keep those restaurants in mind as well :thumbsup2

As PP mentioned the Ramada Inn Maingate is one of the very closest hotels to the front gate... 5, maybe 10 minute walk. Before we bought DVC, this was one of the most wonderful things that made DL a fav over WDW was how cheap and easy your housing could be there. :)

If the Ramada Maingate is the one by Disney Way (and I believe it is), then it is highly walkable. Probably about the same distance from the Paradise Pier Hotel (which is a Disney-owned hotel with no transportation) to Disneyland Park as it is for you to walk. So no worries there.

The third member of your party will only possibly be seated next to a stranger (with no one else next to them) on side-by-side rides that offer single rider. Off the top of my head, I think that's just Goofy's Sky School and California Screamin', both in DCA. I THINK they may ask if you are OK with having someone sit next to you on those rides, but I'm not sure. If it's a big problem you may be able to inform the CM as you board.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/list/#/single-rider-line Note that most the single rider rides have people seated in a straight line (Splash Mountain; Matterhorn after refurb) or 4+ seats in each row (Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin', Indy).

If DCA is busy, it is possible you may be grouped with another group on Mickey's Fun Wheel (as a party of 2 we were grouped with 2 adults and a child, I think it was, though it may have been 2 children and 1 adult).

If I recall correctly, the other rides that you could be seated next to a stranger are rides where more than 2 people sit next to each other. (For instance, a single rider on Soarin' or Indy will sit on the far end, so you'll have your party of 3 next to each other and possibly a stranger sitting next to ONE of those people.)

There are lots of good CS eateries at Disneyland Resort--many of the eateries were recently revamped with improved menus. The DIS has a dining guide at http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm

As others said, you can probably get a reservation anywhere or almost anywhere right now. I've heard people have been able to get same-day seating at Cafe Orleans and maybe some other places, but I'd still suggest you make reservations if you can. There is no reason for you to wait 30-45 minutes for a table (if you can even get one) when you have plenty of time to make a reservation now.

Have a wonderful trip!

I've been looking at Google maps satellite view lately, and the Ramada is almost literally right across the street from the entrance, not even half a mile.

You can absolutely make reservations for table service meals now. I called yesterday and got a reservation for the Blue Bayou on Monday. The last time we went in mid-July 2010 and we stopped by Blue Bayou in the morning and got a reservation for that same evening with no trouble. We also made reservations the day before for Goofy's Kitchen. It's really nothing like WDW when it comes to dining.

Have you read HydroGuy's thread for WDW vets? If not I highly recommend it.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

If you've only been to WDW and never to DL it's hard to imagine how close everything is. Keep in mind that Disney built Disneyland in the middle of farmland that was then filled with hotels and motels. When they decided to build DCA they built it in the old parking lot for Disneyland. So the two parks are quite literally across the street from each other. DTD was built int part of the parking lot and over the street that used to connect the Disneyland Hotel with Disneyland.

You will have a great time staying so close to the "action" and find that the obsession with dining reservations is not as great in Anaheim as it is in Lake Buena Vista.

Enjoy!

Thank you all so so much! You really put my mind at ease. im about to read hydroguys' guide now. A very big :thanks:

I just got back from my trip, so sad, wanna go back. Anyway, I stayed at the Motel 6 (surprisingly good choice, in retrospect) which was a 10 minute walk for me in the mornings, a little longer in the evenings. I walked right past the main entrance to the Ramada Maingate, so I timed it from there as well. It took me 5 minutes to walk from the sidewalk in front of the hotel to bag check in the morning, and 7 minutes to walk back when my feet and back were killing me. Of course, the hotel is not right there on the sidewalk, it's pretty big, but you get the idea. And there are so many restaurants between there and the parks it's ridiculous. I'd never paid that cose attention before.

My trip was solo, and as stated above, they never put me with a stranger on a buggy ride. I did sit next to a stranger twice on California Screamin' and I sat in a row with other people on Indiana Jones, but I was by myself on Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story, Haunted Mansion, Alice in Wonderland, etc. On Pirates and Small World I got the whole row to myself (sat in the front on Pirates, the first drop in the dark is a little more surprising in the front, I accidentally screamed a little. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Thank you!! the hotel sounds really close. so excite :goodvibes

and dont worry, i wont tell if you wont.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!