A few questions about the Star Wars Rival Run 5k

vitani88

Mouseketeer
This will be my first EVER Disney race! Actually, my first ever "real" race, as all my others have been virtual on my own time. I just have a few questions.

1) What time do we REALLY need to be there? I've looked through trip reports and I've seen people getting on the bus anywhere from 3:30-4:30am to get there and arriving anywhere from 3:50 to 5am. I read one that urged people not to show up super early because there's no point. What's the best strategy? I signed up with an 11-12 minute mile so I assume I'll start later than the faster runners.

2) What is the bathroom situation? I have a bird-sized bladder and I have so much anxiety about this. It's one reason I'm nervous about showing up TOO early or drinking anything before I get started.

3) Will family who aren't running be able to get on the bus with me?

4) Is it easier to take the bus or drive to Epcot? We'll be staying at AKL. Will driving save time?

Thanks so much! I'm excited but anxious!

This will be my first EVER Disney race! Actually, my first ever "real" race, as all my others have been virtual on my own time. I just have a few questions.

1) What time do we REALLY need to be there? I've looked through trip reports and I've seen people getting on the bus anywhere from 3:30-4:30am to get there and arriving anywhere from 3:50 to 5am. I read one that urged people not to show up super early because there's no point. What's the best strategy? I signed up with an 11-12 minute mile so I assume I'll start later than the faster runners.

2) What is the bathroom situation? I have a bird-sized bladder and I have so much anxiety about this. It's one reason I'm nervous about showing up TOO early or drinking anything before I get started.

3) Will family who aren't running be able to get on the bus with me?

4) Is it easier to take the bus or drive to Epcot? We'll be staying at AKL. Will driving save time?

Thanks so much! I'm excited but anxious!

1) I like to be on one of the first buses from the resort. Yes, I end up spending a bit more time waiting in the pre-corral area, but I’d rather do that than cut the timing too close and have the stress of “am I going to make it in time”.

2) There are a LOT of porta-potties in the pre-race area. Be prepared to have a modest wait as more people arrive, but it shouldn’t be too long.

3) Yes. Non-runners can board the race buses. They can actually stay with you right up until you head to the corrals themselves close to start time.

4) I’ve never driven, but I know a number of other folks on the board have and prefer it. Driving and buses each have their pros and cons. I like the convenience of the buses and not having to drive on unfamiliar roads super early in the morning. It’s one less bit of stress for my vacation race.

Regardless, you’re going to have a great time!

If this is your first RD event, I would suggest going early and getting your money’s worth! I personally like to get on an early bus, find a port-a-potty, maybe do one of the character pictures, drop off my bag at bag check, another bio break, then head to the corrals. And unless the course has changed, you run through the world showcase, so real bathrooms midway.

Also, if you have the chance, I would run a local 5k in your area just to see what it’s like to run with a large group of people.

You've received good answers on your other questions, but I want to address some things not covered by the others.

Star Wars has characters out for photos before the race. I ran the 2017 Dark Side Challenge and the 2018 5K and First Order Challenges and felt like the 5K lines before the race were by far the longest. The same characters are also there after the race with shorter, but still long lines. So if you want pre race photos with characters, you need to arrive as early as possible.

Now, if you don't want pre race photos, you still need to arrive early. Bus drivers not familiar with getting around Disney World can and have gotten lost on their way to a race. I was on a bus that got lost this year. But I had plenty of time so it didn't matter.

Driving has never been an issue. I still always try to get there early. If you time it right you beat the buses and can hit all the characters before the mobs start arriving. I did this for one of the princess runs in 2016 and dopey in 2017.

So you want to be there before 3 and waiting to walk in as soon as they open it up at 3.

Have done all the Darkside 5K's - first time stayed at BWV, second at VGF and 3rd at AKV. Always just went out to catch the last bus that is recommended in the times guide that they say you need to be on. We would get in a photo line - sometimes make it before the cut off and sometimes not but even then, when starting in the mid-late corrals we've found there's plenty of time to make a pit stop and then head to the corral. That places you in the back of the pack of that corral but that's always been fine. If you want photos they will be available after the race too if you don't wish to get up hours before the crack of dawn. :crazy2:

With the 5K you're going thru Epcot. The longest area without any bathrooms is the first 1-1/2K or so and then you have the regular park bathrooms to use.

We've done the buses so can't comment on driving being better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter