A Few Observations from Thanksgiving Week

If you recall, what settings did you use for the fireworks shots? They are great. With the proliferation of "point and shoots", not to mention smart phone cameras, we often forget just what a "real" camera can do, especially in the hands of a talented photographer like you.:thumbsup2

Wow...I wish I could take photos and wrangle a camera like you do. Another fellow Ohioan here...just south about an hour. Your photos were breathtaking!

Thanks, all, I am definitely no pro, I just take LOTS of photos and am lucky that a few turn out well! I did get a fast prime lens (35 mm) before this trip, which was better for the low light shots. (For those who might not know, a prime lens is a fixed focal length - no zoom. The advantage is that they have a larger maximum aperture, which allows for better performance in lower light. The disadvantage is that you then have to "zoom with your feet" to get the composition you want.) To get truly sharp, stunning fireworks shots, a tripod is pretty much a requirement, but I don't want to carry one of those around, so I do the best I can handheld. Take a look over on the Photo board, some of the shots there are just incredible - those people are true artitsts.

Having said that, some of the photos - in fact I think all of the Osborne lights - were taken with my small Olympus TG-1. Even "point and shoot" cameras these days have amazing capabilities. Read reviews, decide what features are important, what your budget is, and - this is vital - go to a camera store to see how different cameras feel in your hands. Are the controls comfortable to operate? Is it a size and weight that feels right in your hands?

And then take lots and lots of pics! That's the beauty of digital photography. You can experiment all you want, without worrying about the expense of film or developing.

I actually live in southern Ohio, near Dayton. I travel all over the country to take bands and choirs on trips - I love it!

Thanks again, all!

I am highly impressed :thumbsup2 Thank you for sharing your trip memories with us. Your photos are among the best I've seen on these boards. We have considered going to WDW over Thanksgiving to experience the holiday season there without our kids having to miss more than a couple days of school, and Thanksgiving definitely seems doable compared to what I've read/heard about the weeks of Christmas and New Year's.

One day when I hit the lottery I am going to hire someone like you to follow my family around and take pictures. Those are amazing - I'll bet the parents of the kids who couldn't be there will be thrilled to see the ones of the kids marching.
Thanks for taking the time to post them!:worship:

Really awesome pics, reviews and tips!!! Thanks a mil!!!

Just what I needed to get me thru another day of waiting til my trip in Fed. Awesome photos...so vivid. :thumbsup2

Thanks for posting. We are going during that time next year so it's great to see pics from that week! Loved your pics!

Thank you so much for all the great pics and tips. Do you think MK is manageable on Thanksgiving day? We're thinking of heading to MK this year for Thanksgiving as it will also be my son's 4th birthday, but I'm concerned it may be really packed. What are your thoughts?

scrappinannie said:
Thank you so much for all the great pics and tips. Do you think MK is manageable on Thanksgiving day? We're thinking of heading to MK this year for Thanksgiving as it will also be my son's 4th birthday, but I'm concerned it may be really packed. What are your thoughts?

It is really packed, but it is also manageable if you know what you're doing.

It is really packed, but it is also manageable if you know what you're doing.

I concur with mesaboy - it was crowded, but the hours are long, and it's still nowhere near a Christmas/New Years week crowd. Get there early that day and enjoy!

We are traveling during Thanksgiving 2013. Your photos are amazing and your report fantastic. I expect crowds, but with school-aged children, our travel time was constrained by the school calendar and the Florida heat index in summer. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter