A few beginner questions

jeast

DIS Veteran
How long does it take to do the highlights in each park? We're considering adding two days to our vacation and hitting US and IOA. I have two kiddos, DS8, and DD5. Are they old enough to really enjoy the attractions? Or am I better off waiting a year or two? I don't mind spending the extra money (it would be quite a bit as we would stay onsite) if they would really have a blast, but don't want to go if we are better off waiting or wouldn't be able to cover much in two days.

Thanks for any info and opinions!

Staying on-site is the best way to go cause you get too skip the reguler lines with your room key.With that you can almost everything in both parks in two days..And there is plenty for kids of that age to do,and they will love the pools at the resorts!!:thumbsup2

If you're staying on site, you should easily be able to hit the highlights & more in 2 days.

My youngest DS was 8 the first time we went & he had a blast. There was plenty for him to do - he particularly liked the rides in Seussville, MIB, Spiderman ride, Fear Factor Live, The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad, & his all time favorites - the water rides (Popeye & Riptide).

Happy Travels!

COLOR="Magenta"] his all time favorites - the water rides (Popeye & Riptide). Happy Travels![/COLOR]

UGH....do I need to be prepared to be SOAKED? I HATE water rides, but DD5 loves EVERYTHING.......give me the low down.....what do I prepare myself for?

UGH....do I need to be prepared to be SOAKED? I HATE water rides, but DD5 loves EVERYTHING.......give me the low down.....what do I prepare myself for?

Yes - I'm afraid you will get SOAKED. I was not prepared for this on our 1st trip & even in the heat of summer it took quite a while for my clothes to dry out - several hours. However, I will say that the rides were awesome & I don't regret getting soaked at all.

If you want to at least attempt to stay somewhat dry, you could wear one of those disposable ponchos that you get a the Dollar Store or a rain coat, but I would be sure it's wrapped around you good. You won't believe how much water gets splashed in the "boats". If you're wearing sneakers or similar shoes - a change of shoes or at least socks might be helpful. My plan for our upcoming trip is to wear my flip flops & bring a change of clothes along with a ziploc bag to put all the wet stuff in.

Happy Splashing!

SOAKED is an understatement -- You WILL need a change of shoes & clothes. You MUST wear flip flops/crocs. Ripsaw Falls wasn't operating when we did our "wet" day, but Popeye -- um, I got less wet at the HRH pool then I did on that ride.

And a word to the wise -- Don't try & do everything at the parks -- spend time at the hotel -- the HRH dive in movie & pool time was SOOO good -- DS 12 played video games & swam, DS 8 & DD 7 said the HRH slide was better then Aquatic (no line & fun), DH & I loved the pool service -- good food & drink, but not pushy.

We checked in early for our FOTL and we used pool after check out from 7-9 pm on check out day (we were staying local that night).

MUMMY was THE BEST ride but too intense for the under 8 crowd.

MIB is NOT worth the wait/locker storage if you've already done WDW IMO -- If traveling w/ 2 adults it is MUCH easier to have one adult go with the kids & the other watch bags & switch off then getting the locker.

My DS 8 & DD7 both enjoyed the HULK.

I allowed my kids to run around HRH so we could all check out the memorbilia-- a real treat which they loved. Correction -- they didn't actully "run", we just rode the elevator to each floor. They weren't wild or anything...

My heart still belongs to the Mouse, but IOA/US is really worth it. Esp if the kids love rides. :thumbsup2

Also, don't forget the two major play areas. When our kids were that age, they couldn't wait to get to Universal just so they could go play in Camp Jurassic and Curious George. At that age, it is not only about the rides. Staying on site, you can easily allow them an hour to go explore the two play areas. We always found it a great "baby swap" alternative. One parent stays with the kids for half an hour while they play while the other goes and rides and then swaps for half an hour.

Beware though, the adult "kids" may want to stay longer in the ball pit too.

I am going to have to disagree with the poster above. After doing MIB, Buzz is not worth the time :goodvibes MIB is so much more exciting as you can remove the guns and shoot at the aliens. Read the tips on the sticky here and see if you can get "the suit."

Yes - I'm afraid you will get SOAKED. I was not prepared for this on our 1st trip & even in the heat of summer it took quite a while for my clothes to dry out - several hours. However, I will say that the rides were awesome & I don't regret getting soaked at all.

If you want to at least attempt to stay somewhat dry, you could wear one of those disposable ponchos that you get a the Dollar Store or a rain coat, but I would be sure it's wrapped around you good. You won't believe how much water gets splashed in the "boats". If you're wearing sneakers or similar shoes - a change of shoes or at least socks might be helpful. My plan for our upcoming trip is to wear my flip flops & bring a change of clothes along with a ziploc bag to put all the wet stuff in.

Happy Splashing!

BLAH!!!! Thanks for the heads up though. I don't usually carry anything to the park except something very small for our tickets & money. Does US/IOA have locker rentals? I'm going to stress over this now. Maybe I'll just leave the sneakers at home all together and plan on flops the whole time??

SOAKED is an understatement -- You WILL need a change of shoes & clothes. You MUST wear flip flops/crocs. Ripsaw Falls wasn't operating when we did our "wet" day, but Popeye -- um, I got less wet at the HRH pool then I did on that ride.

And a word to the wise -- Don't try & do everything at the parks -- spend time at the hotel -- the HRH dive in movie & pool time was SOOO good -- DS 12 played video games & swam, DS 8 & DD 7 said the HRH slide was better then Aquatic (no line & fun), DH & I loved the pool service -- good food & drink, but not pushy.

We checked in early for our FOTL and we used pool after check out from 7-9 pm on check out day (we were staying local that night).

MUMMY was THE BEST ride but too intense for the under 8 crowd.

MIB is NOT worth the wait/locker storage if you've already done WDW IMO -- If traveling w/ 2 adults it is MUCH easier to have one adult go with the kids & the other watch bags & switch off then getting the locker.

My DS 8 & DD7 both enjoyed the HULK.

I allowed my kids to run around HRH so we could all check out the memorbilia-- a real treat which they loved. Correction -- they didn't actully "run", we just rode the elevator to each floor. They weren't wild or anything...

My heart still belongs to the Mouse, but IOA/US is really worth it. Esp if the kids love rides. :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the tips (and sorry to the OP since I seem to have hijacked the post!)

Regarding the water rides. If you stay on-site (we always do), do the water rides later in the day and then head back to the hotel to shower and change. We take our shoes off for the ride and put them in the middle protected area and then just enjoy the soaking. My husband and son wear bathing suits and tee-shirts that day and our daughter wears water shorts and a bathing suit top under a tee shirt. I have an LLBean outfit that is shorts and a tank top made for swimming so it dries quickly.

Regarding the water rides. If you stay on-site (we always do), do the water rides later in the day and then head back to the hotel to shower and change. We take our shoes off for the ride and put them in the middle protected area and then just enjoy the soaking. My husband and son wear bathing suits and tee-shirts that day and our daughter wears water shorts and a bathing suit top under a tee shirt. I have an LLBean outfit that is shorts and a tank top made for swimming so it dries quickly.
Very good advice! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter