A different slant on trip planning-- do DVCers really NEED to do intense planning?

DVCajun

<font color=red>If you believe in Magic you belong
I enjoy thinking about my upcoming Disney trip as much as anyone, but it amounts more to what restaurants I want to try "next time" and looking forward to the stuff we all look forward to doing at WDW. I've been to the World so much that I don't feel that I need to take a crash course in trip planning each time I go and I never seem to suffer for it while we're there. Am I alone here?

In addition, I definitely won't ever do the commando style WDW vacations I used to do before DVC. I am much more relaxed and don't worry if I can't get to something because there's always "next time." Ahhh.... what a feeling!! :cool:

Although I enjoy planning our trips, it really has gotten to where I have a list mentally or on paper of everything we'll ever need, except for researching new developments! I'm looking forward to our first trip "home" next June, in the hopes that I'll be much better at relaxing and slowing down. I've had a hard time in the past, trying to be sure that we get our "money's worth"! We've got 14 nights reserved at VWL for June 2002, and I plan to spend a significant amount of time "hanging out".

The only time we're doing intense planning anymore is when we invite family who have never been to WDW before.

We rarely ride every ride on each trip, becuase we figure if not this trip, then the next.

Intense planning? What is that? I haven't done that in a long time. We don't even decide where we want to eat until we are there, then we call for PS.
It makes going on vacation so much more enjoyable.

We might do an advance ressie for one meal if there's a "must do" place we want to eat. We also do that because when traveling with teenagers it seems to work out well to have at least a couple of "family moments" pre-planned in. We might also plan ahead for something like MVMCP. Other than that, we play it by ear. Totally relaxing!!

We don't really plan anymore either unless we have guests. Next trip we will have two sets of guest at different times. I would imagine that will mean different activities and some repeated with each group. The couple who is coming the first week has been there many times and even been there with us before. That have purchased CdS tickets for all as a thank you to us for the use of DVC, but I know we will be doing a lot of dining out with them etc. The couple who comes the second week has only been to the world once before when we ad their entire extended family with us in a GV. They will be looking to do more relaxing things and will want to eat in more to save money. It will make for good variety.

We don't pre-plan anymore really either. About the only thing is if we want to do the Hoop-Dee-Do or the luau or something out of the ordinary like that. We don't even do PS's until we get there anymore, and sometimes we do them on the day we want to eat!!!

I think the DVC membership does give you the ability to say"If not this time, then next time". Ahhhhh!!!!:p

We don't do all that much planning either. I have a standard list of planning items in my palm pilot that I copy and paste to an entry for each trip (items such as boarding the pets, reserving reantal cars and air fare). If a new item comes up, we add it. We are generally able to plan everything during a lunch hour. Other than that we plan as we go once we are down there. We don't usually make our PS ressies until the day we intend to eat there. No problems - yet...

The AP certainly helps lighten the stress load.

When we go to HHI we will certainly schedule the Private Affair well in advance.

The only preplanning we do is Chef Mickey our first night and Whispering Canyon another night. If hubby is playing golf we book that and of course the SPA :-).

With regards to the parks we don't plan much other thank MK our first day (and that's because we eat at Chef Mickey and the kids have to do MK our first day). Even when we take people, which now with our DVC membership we always do, they trust us to make sure they see what they need to see.

EVeryone's right, it's much more relaxing.

But it did make me think of one of the threads ~ you know your kids go to Disney too much when. My son took his BF last year for the first time and the only thing he'll say about the trip is I didn't make it to Disney Quest we'd better go this year. Since he's not a fussy kid and doesn't ask for much, we take that complaint in stride. But he has a great time every year anyway. And I do remind him that not everyone gets to go to Disney every year so he should be grateful and happy with what he does get to do.

Are you kidding? We don't do ANY advance planning whatsoever & frankly, I DON'T MISS IT!!! Sure the first five years it was fun, then it got old :D The only trip planning I do is the flight, the villa's & the car... that is it!!

We have much more fun lazily going from day to day, doing spontaneous things on the fly... much more fun & relaxing!!! I do believe it is because we know we'll always be back next year!!!

hi: we usually have a newbie or two with us and make ps for "must do" meals. for our november trip, i made 3 ps; but i'll probably be making about 2 or 3 more as well. we'll figure out where we will be each day when we are there. with the newbies, we just try to make sure we hit the high points of each park.

Being a DVC owner has taken alot of the monitary stress out of going to WDW. The "hunt for the best room rate " is no more!! Thankfully!! Figuring out which restaurants to eat at, the tried and true and a few new ones, or what different order to do the parks seems to be what we "plan out" for now. Sometimes we just wing it!!

When I answered an earlier post about planning, I meant dates, locations, unit size, and who is coming with us. I don't plan an extensive trip unless someone new is going with us, but here lately that seems like every trip. Our group next May will include a couple in there 50's who have never been to WDW. Can you imagine never having enjoyed Mickey's home your whole life? I can't!!!

We definitely don't do the commando park touring any more and we don't miss that at all. I do make a couple of PS, but not nearly as many as other trips. Our next trip is in 4 weeks for 12 days. The first 6 we will have an additional 9 people with us so we are doing Cindy's breakfast and the Hoop Dee Doo and as much as it pains me we'll probably do a couple of early mornings to get everyone started. Out of the additonal 9, 6 have never been to WDW before. We are by ourselves for the last 6 days and it will be so nice and peaceful to have our relaxed pace back.

While I have not done intense planning for our upcoming trip. I do know certain restaurants we definitely want to try, and we have decided the parks that are a must on this trip, and we know we want to take the time to check out the outlet malls this time. Our trip is a short one and I don't want to waste a minute.

Since my son is now in college, who knows how many more years he will want to head to Disney World with Mom and Dad. This trip celebrates his 19th birthday, and until he has his own family and is struggling on his own and would appreciate a free vacation from Mom and Dad, these times may be limited.

I also feel that with the recent events in New York, I realize more than ever that there is no guaranteed "next time". While the commando mode will not be our style, we do have an agenda.

I probably have not been a DVC owner long enough to feel the luxury of "next time".

It's so much more relaxing now!!!! I used to spend a lot of time looking for the best room rate -- now that's a thing of the past. And we know that if we don't get to see and do EVERYTHING, we can catch up on our next trip. I love DVC and I'm so grateful we were able to join.

The "planning bug" that I think most people have referred to is merely planning on when to get back to WDW (or VB, HH, or maybe a cruise?).

We still do plan our daily "location" to visit since we want to make sure we go to the parks that don't have early openings. We're through with getting up at the crack of dawn so we can get to the park for early opening so we can ride a roller coaster at 7:30 in the morning! :rolleyes:

Commando style? Never again. Life is way too short to make vacations a stressful time....wouldn't you say that pretty much defeats the purpose of vacationing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter