A day-tripper's gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kren

Mouseketeer
After our experience at Epcot yesterday I'm starting to think that Disney is just not welcoming to one-day visitors anymore. If you don't have multiday passes at the very least, and preferably a long stay already booked in-park, you are gonna have a frustrating day.

But hear me out - yes, I'm criticizing Disney but I am a Disney FANATIC and have been going since the days of E-ticket rides when the Magic Kingdom first opened. I was a Florida resident through grad school but now live elsewhere. I have gone to Grad Night, visited at every possible time of the year, had an annual resident pass -- I went when I was an awestruck grade-schooler, a teenager looking for hidden places to, um, hide from adults, a brand-new parent taking advantage of the baby swap, and now, a creaky 50-something whose feet hurt too much. There is nobody more a fan of Disney World than me.

But it was always one day at a time. When you live nearby, it makes zero sense to do it any other way. That said, there have always been ways to avoid lines, whether by choosing low-crowd days, bad-weather days, using time-of-day strategies, geographical strategies (go to the back of the park first) and, when it first was introduced, Fast Pass.

But yesterday, we could not use Fast Pass. It was an EMH day, and we bought our one-day ticket at the park and were at the rope at 8:10 a.m. for a 9 a.m. opening. We were the first people to the Fast Pass kiosk. There were ZERO Fast Passes left for Test Track and Soarin'. My family was stationed at all the kiosks and each ticket was giving different results for the rides that were left, like Nemo - there was no way to actually get a FP for the same time for each ticket because they were blinking off like a Ticketmaster screen for a Twenty One Pilots show (welcome to my other world of teenage angst). We ended up not being able to get four FP for anything at the same time, so we used none of them when all was said and done.

So I guess my failure was in not buying tickets in advance, or in not downloading and using an app? Maybe I could've stood at the rope and opened the app and painstakingly entered our cards' info and maybe, just maybe, there would've been FP availability that way? I just don't know; I tend to think not. I think especially at Epcot, where the E-ticket rides are few, the FPs for Test Track and Soarin' are gone as soon as they open up 60 days in advance?

We don't plan that way, because we are day-trippers, not strategizing for our trip of a lifetime, or our annual assault on the mouse. We are there on the spur of the moment, or when a day opens up that wasn't expected. So we lose out on the advantages those folks have.

I am fine with the perks -- those folks have paid so much, the perks are legit. But it would really be nice if Disney would set aside some tiny reserve of some of the perks for one-day pass buyers. I mean, we're not trash - we pay more for our actual tickets than anyone else :)

Because we go every year, it's not a massive disappointment to us. We've seen everything, and some will say, OK, you want a top-notch experience, you have to pay. But if I really believed that, I'd be throwing hundred-dollar bills at Universal (I never have and never will).

In the past, I could grab the Fast Passes, work the early and late hours for the other rides, and have a great day. Yesterday, we did 40 minutes in line at Test Track at 9:10 a.m. -- in the single rider line --and I was DONE. We rode nothing else all day. We spent our day at the World Showcase and yes, had a nice day. At the end of the day, a cast member who saw my achy, painful limp gave my daughter a paper-ticket FP for Soarin' (still a 60-minute stand-by wait at 8 pm) and that eased my frustration. But there shouldn't have to be a bit of random Disney magic to save the day, nor can there be for everyone.

I've often looked in pity at the people standing in lines for 60 minutes or more, because it's the only time they'll ever be there, and they want their kids to see Insert-Character-Here, and thought, Gee, if they planned a bit better, they could've avoided this.

Yesterday either I was that person, or Disney has inexorably started removing the ability to ease such situations without paying more. Not sure yet which it is, but I'm thinking it's the latter.

You did get your park ticket that same day so you couldn't have made your FastPass reservations 30 days out. Your one day ticket would have cost the same if you bought it 30 days before but if you didn't know you were going, then you couldn't have linked the ticket to your MDE account and gotten the FastPass reservations.

Should Disney have a certain amount of FastPasses available for one day only guests? I would wonder how they could know how many to set aside. How many other one day guests were there with you? If you don't know, how could Disney know? If they set aside 1% of FastPasses per day for day only guests but there's only a .5% interest, where do the other FastPasses go? Are they wasted so no one rides?

My husband and I have gone numerous times ourselves and our biggest "complaint" is we park hop so we end up at Epcot every night. But, we can't get FastPasses there because it's one park per day for those. So, just adjust and adapt and do what we need to do.

There are a few issues at play. It is Easter week so crowds are here. That changes the game a little. You didn't have the app. When you went to the kiosk you used separate kiosks instead of adding tickets as a group if you only wanted to see time for your entire group.

The app isn't too hard to add ticketd to. Takes a second or two a ticket. You definitely could have managed it in 50 minutes or let your kids manage it for you.

I will say with EPCOT having only 3 "major" attractions it does limit the fp availability. 60 minutes though for Soarin on Easter week isn't as bad as I've seen it.

Glad you were at least to have a good day. The way to do Disney or at least do Disney with out a line has definitely changed.

Last edited:

OK, you want a top-notch experience, you have to pay. But if I really believed that, I'd be throwing hundred-dollar bills at Universal (I never have and never will).

I don't understand that comment in any way I try to.

Should Disney have a certain amount of FastPasses available for one day only guests?

I assume they do. But there are a lot of people making FP+s that day!

The days before Easter likely wouldn't have had that many paper FPs available either.

Old person, old phone, bad eyes. I try to avoid apps. I know, we're dinosaurs and soon we'll be extinct. So there's that dynamic as well.

First and third...I know a 98 year old who uses a fancy phone. :) Age is what you make of it. Eyes...you can increase the font if you don't want to put reading glasses on. Can't help you with the phone. :)

I don't understand that comment in any way I try to.

Referring to Universal charging another - what, $100? - for something akin to Fast Pass. When that started, I lost interest in Universal. Either the admission is good for everyone or it's a park for the 1%

So yes, I get that the app was key, if not mandatory. Why not mention that someplace? Anyplace??? Maybe, I dunno, at the ticket counter?

Referring to Universal charging another - what, $100? - for something akin to Fast Pass. When that started, I lost interest in Universal. Either the admission is good for everyone or it's a park for the 1%

So yes, I get that the app was key, if not mandatory. Why not mention that someplace? Anyplace??? Maybe, I dunno, at the ticket counter?

It isn't mandatory but that is a fail on the ticket seller and perhaps you should let Disney know that. There use to be a small snippet where they hand you a how to paper and quickly mention here's some information on our app and how to download it. Since the app has been around for awhile now they may have stopped the introductory market education.

Oh you can totally be a one-day tripper! you just need to use the MDE app and have your tickets linked to it! That is just simply how Disney has decided that crowd navigation and management is going to work, and that's just the way that technology works in our everyday world despite some people feeling like they are dinosaurs. Tech can separate us from each other, or it can bring us together to make new connections. Obviously Disney is seeking the value in the latter...

I am befuddled by the micromanaging planning that some people have, but you go to WDW very regularly as a resident, and just now realized that everything depends on this phone app? especially since you know that paper Fast Passes aren't a thing anymore... part of the upgrade to FastPass+ was that they were digital entitlements and could be reserved days, weeks, months ahead of your actual visit. Nobody really starts their morning at the Fast Pass+ kiosks anymore unless they just got their tickets, had to cancel other FP+ and don`t have access to the app, or are using a much-debated method which I won`t go into details about.

And if you buy tickets regularly and store them in your MDE, as soon as the reservation window becomes available, you can do all the FP+ stuff in less than an hour. And then you can sit back and look forward to your trip!

$50 (65 if doing both parks), not 100, and it's definitely not mandatory. I've never gotten it at Universal and have done just fine without. :thumbsup2

ETA: I don't understand, with all of the add-ons that Disney sells, throwing this shade at Universal. But to each their own.

I feel like you can have a good time without planning, and you can also have a good time when it's incredibly busy. But when you put both of those things together then you will have a problem.
Yes, this. 100Xs this.
OP, you hit the perfect storm of mistakes.
Tickets bought at the gate
Tickets not linked to MDE
EMH day
Easter weekend

Any 1 of those things you can overcome. Combine them all and yeah, it's a mess.

I'm a 50 something with bad eyes (and bad feet)
It's not hard to add tickets to MDE. You don't even have to type, you scan them. So no bad eyes come in to play

FP for Soarin' and TT are not gone 60 days in advance. They are often there same day, I've gotten them myself plenty of times and we have gone when it's crowded (think Thanksgiving). But by the time you got to a kiosk it was too late. Too many do know about FP+ and MDE so they are working those apps/websites way earlier than when they get to the park, even if they decide that morning to head over.

The ticket counter not alerting guests to FP+? This is an issue I've brought up for certain. I think there should be a hand out given with the tickets, a single sheet. It's shown on the maps but not everyone bothers with maps. I once encountered some guests commenting to me on how long they waited for ToT. I mentioned we had used FP and he said they didn't want to pay extra for them. He hadn't a clue how FP+ worked, that it was free, nothing. I tried to let them know but not sure how much he absorbed. A hand out would do wonders.

The fp+ system really penalizes last minuters. While not a popular opinion, I believe the old fp system was the most fair system. You get to ropedrop, grab a fastpass to something and ride something else, redeem your fp, grab another one. The ability to preplan has taken away the advantage that the go getters use to have.

Yeah I think you need to buy your tickets ahead of time if you want the prime FPs and times. Believe me, I miss the days when we used to buy them upon arrival and we have to fly there, so it's not like we aren't planning. It was just one less thing I had to lay money out for prior to arrival.

It's a case of out with the old, in with the new. It's definitely not your mother's Disney anymore, heck, it's not even my Disney anymore. I think I belonged in the final scene from Carousel Of Progress; I was outdated, so I had to get with the program. Yes, back in the day it was easy to just show up at a park and wing it, now it's complicated, and if you want to get your money's worth from those tickets it requires some advance planning; in other words, spontaneity is no longer encouraged.

Yeah - that seems like it'd be totally solved by using the app since I've gotten some decent same day 4 and 5th pick fps. Hell, I've gotten 4th picks that were awesome while I'm at the Swolphin pool having the wait staff bring me more fruity drinks than are reasonable. I will admit I'm very happy to be in the sun, with said cocktail in hand, just fussing on the app to find something good, but that's perfectly ok with me. My iphone, ipad, macbook pro and Apple TV could only be better if I could them inserted under my skin somehow, but that's just me, and I'm nutty. Scoring awesome fps while not even in the park now? That's the BEST!

It isn't hard to get same day FP+ even for tier 1 attractions. Never believe the app when it says there are none left. Just keep refreshing, repeatedly and diligently, and something will turn up. I have had no difficulty getting good FP+ for just about any attraction and time I wanted by using this tactic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter