A couple questions for the experts...

Wildcard

Mouseketeer
Hey all. I've been lurking for a while now, and I figure you folks might have some insight into a few things I have been curious about. Here goes:

1. Why has disney decided to show "Spirited Away" in so few theaters? And why has the marketing been non-existent? I just saw it this evening and it is the most wonderful, amazing movie I have seen in a while. It kind of reminded me of an Alice in Wonderland story. I also noticed that there were many people with families, but also very many older couples and groups. In my area, which is a moderately large metro area, it is showing in two theaters...down three from last week. I have also noticed that it has been bringing in a good amount from each theater it is showing in. Are they doing this because of how Mononoke turned out? It is a shame, because while that was a very good film, Spirited Away is so much better.

2. If Anaheim goes to the world series (and surpasses my beloved Twins), will Disney be more or less inclined to sell the team? I would assume that if they go all the way that more revenue would start streaming in. Would this be reason to keep the team, or would they hope to sell them for a higher price?

My very limited understanding about Spirited Away, as with the other Miyazaki movies Disney has distributed (or planned to distribute) in the US, is that the main problems lie not with Disney's backing of them but with the production company in Japan making very specific rules as to how and what is done with the films. We have been anxiously awaiting Castle in the Sky, though it seems that will never actually be released to video like its predecessor Kiki's Delivery Service.

If you liked the movie, check out others by Miyazaki.....like those mentioned above plus My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. They are available on video. They are a refreshing change from the animated fluff that dominates in the US. I love movies that don't talk down to my kids....and so do they!

I'd love to see Spirited Away....maybe I should try to see if its showing anywhere near here.......

oh, no idea about sports at all.....

And since I'm not familiar with how Disney is handling Spirited Away (though I'm looking forward to seeing it), I'll answer the Angels question...

We have a similar situation here with Tom Hicks. He owns both the Dallas Stars & Texas Rangers. The Stars are only 3 years removed from having won the Stanley Cup & 2 years from having gone to the Stanley Cup Final & they made some big aquisitions in the off-season that show potential for a string showing in the post-season. Meanwhile the Texas Rangers are, well, they're there. Truth be told Hicks wants the baseball team more than the hockey team. He likes owning the Stars, but he loves owning the Rangers. The Stars are the team that is up for sale.

If push comes to shove & only one team is going to be sold, they'll hang on to the one they like more. They liked picking up the Angels, but the Ducks are their baby. And finally in regards to the bottom line, a winning team is going to be worth a lot more than one that didn't make it to the playoffs. One that won the pennant is going to be worth a lot more than they were the season before. The money won't really be flowing from merch. I know first hand that Angels fans are kind of like Cubs fans...minus the rabid loyalty. ;)

Lesley (and anyone),

You can find a list of theaters where Spirited Away is playing on www.nausicaa.net

It's playing at a theater in Philadelphia, and at the Neshaminy Mall
theaters in Bensalem.

Disney is releasing ‘Spirited Away’ into theaters only because it will make the subsequent DVD release easier to market. The Company is convinced that traditional animation has a very limited market these days and foreign animation all but non-existent. The whole distribution deal that Disney picked up has a very convoluted history and even more dense corporate politics behind it. It all boils down to that Disney feels ‘Spirited Away’ is something they have to do, rather than something they want to do. They’re treating the film like a seven year old treats homework – they only put in enough effort so they don’t get into trouble.

The Angels and the Ducks have become symbols more than business these days. The sports teams are reminders of Emperor Eisner and all that he has wrought upon the company. For people on the board trying to get rid of him – the teams are shining examples of excess, personal greed and his basic lack of understanding about “Disney”. To Eisner, they are the only bits of the company that really are his idea and the only ones he really championed. The fight is intensely personal and has nothing at all to do with the profits or losses themselves.

It’s rumored that Eisner is trying to bid up the asking price again do to the Angels success this season – but that’s been Eisner’s strategy all along for holding onto the teams (demand a hefty premium for a “good return on the teams” to make retaining them look like a business decision). If enough pressure is put on Eisner he will sell off the teams; he’s never shown any loyalty when it comes to saving his own neck. The Angels and the Ducks will be sold when it best reflects on Eisner. World Series and the purchase price don’t matter.

AV, I'm horribly sorry to hear this about Disney's treatment of the films created by one of the absolute best in animation, bar none (the stories, characters, etc in his films are brilliant). And if they haven't noticed yet....anime is huge right now.

The Company is convinced that traditional animation has a very limited market these days and foreign animation all but non-existent.

HA! What planet are they living on anyway? Or by "the company" do you mean one particular micro-managing executive?

hopemax, thanks..I did look it up. Unfortunately neither of those theaters is anywhere close to us.....well over an hour away. :( Ah, well, there's always the DVD release to come....(though I'll believe it when I see it....)

I totally agree with your sentiments, Lesley. But this movie felt the least anime-ish of any anime I have seen. It was a story right up Disney's alley. Even the animation wasn't overly stylized as in some anime. I get the feeling that this is being released on an art-house level, and could do so much better in a wider release. I wish I didn't had to drive about an hour to the theater where I saw it, but it was totally worth it. My gf is bugging me to take her to it again(already!). And waiting for the DVD may prove troubling, if it follows in the footsteps of Mononoke.;)

In retrospect, perhaps I should have posed my questions in separate theads...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter