A couple of WDW questions from a newbie

brad813

DIS Veteran
I will be visiting WDW for the first time(never had the money to go as a child, and my father wasn't one for travel for more than a few hours at best) in the middle of September 2017, along with my mother(who is in her late 60s). Right now the plans are for Animal Kingdom the first day, a free day the second day with either the Disney or Universal Halloween event in the evening(I am assuming the Disney event will be taking place that day due to MK's scheduled close being 7pm), and SeaWorld the third full day(we have Busch Gardens Platinum Passes since we live in Virginia). It is basically a day's drive to Orlando for us. I have a few questions that perhaps you could answer for me.

1. Is Epcot doable in a partial day, if I target what I want to do, or would I be better off at HS or one of Orlando's water parks for my free time(probably just me, since I know my mother wants time to shop a bit)?

2. Are eyeglasses a problem on any of the rides, especially in MK(I plan to hit a few rides there if I attend MNSSHP)? I nearly lost my glasses on a roller coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg last October, so I want to know what to expect.

3. Will my mother, since she has high blood pressure and a heart condition, be at risk on some of the milder rides(though Disney seems to be far milder than both Universal and Busch Gardens as a rule)?

Thank you for helping a Disnewbie out.

Brad

Woop! Woop! For going on your first Disney trip!

1. Packing in a good amount of Epcot in one day is hard so I personally would head to HS or a water park for a half day especially if you're heading in at RD.
2. RocknRoller at HS and maybe Star Tours at HS, BTMRR (more so at night), Space Mountain and maybe Splash Mountain at MK, Kali and Everest at AK, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin' at Epcot. These are the ones I'm always conscious of my glasses.
3. The rides listed above are ones your mother should watch out for. Check out the Disney website - on the pages for each of the rides under Accessibility and Other Information it tells you about health warnings on the rides (basically what it says on the signs outside the rides)

Not sure if you've been to Universal before but I'm not sure Halloween Horror Nights would be the best option for someone with high blood pressure and a heart condition. MNSSHP would probably be better and the parade/fireworks are amazing!

Woop! Woop! For going on your first Disney trip!

1. Packing in a good amount of Epcot in one day is hard so I personally would head to HS or a water park for a half day especially if you're heading in at RD.
2. RocknRoller at HS and maybe Star Tours at HS, BTMRR (more so at night), Space Mountain and maybe Splash Mountain at MK, Kali and Everest at AK, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin' at Epcot. These are the ones I'm always conscious of my glasses.
3. The rides listed above are ones your mother should watch out for. Check out the Disney website - on the pages for each of the rides under Accessibility and Other Information it tells you about health warnings on the rides (basically what it says on the signs outside the rides)

Not sure if you've been to Universal before but I'm not sure Halloween Horror Nights would be the best option for someone with high blood pressure and a heart condition. MNSSHP would probably be better and the parade/fireworks are amazing!

I was thinking the same thing on Halloween Horror Nights, but I don't want to prejudge for her. Just present the info and let her decide. Her main interest in the Disney parks was AK, and I know she won't do Expedition Everest(though I will most likely). Kali River Rapids I am pretty sure she could handle though. I am not sure what she would want to do in MK, though if we do the MNSSHP, we will probably mix the festivities with some rides and get in early to fully take advantage of it. I tend to research travel thoroughly, especially given my past experience as a travel agent, but some things you can't really know without experiencing them first hand. Old habits die hard I guess.

As far as Epcot goes, you will be there during F&W so one day might not do it if you plan on sampling from the booths.

I was thinking the same thing on Halloween Horror Nights, but I don't want to prejudge for her. Just present the info and let her decide. Her main interest in the Disney parks was AK, and I know she won't do Expedition Everest(though I will most likely). Kali River Rapids I am pretty sure she could handle though. I am not sure what she would want to do in MK, though if we do the MNSSHP, we will probably mix the festivities with some rides and get in early to fully take advantage of it. I tend to research travel thoroughly, especially given my past experience as a travel agent, but some things you can't really know without experiencing them first hand. Old habits die hard I guess.

I've personally never done HHN but as far as I can gather the main selling points are the walk-through houses where you get chased and people jump out at you as you walk around the park although there are some safe zones. I would only take your mother there is she enjoys being made to jump/her heart can handle it repeatedly. The Universal board will be more helpful with what you can expect. Disney's Halloween party is a great way to experience MK. Ride lines are in generally very short so you can get a lot done. Depends on which day of the week you would be attending. Sunday/Tues parties tend to have smaller crowds (other than the first parties of the season) while Fridays are busier with locals.

Kali is generally ok, but bouncing off the walls can be a bit jolty. And there is no way of telling which seats will get soaked so be prepared for that. Oops, just realised I forgot to mention Dinosaur at AK. It throws you around quite a lot and is one of the most intense rides on property.

The number of people who don't research their Disney holiday would shock you haha

I do not have trouble with my glasses on any Disney rides, though if you are nervous about it use a sport strap. I used to at Disney, but have found it's just not needed. MAYBE on Rock'n Roller Coaster. At Universal I would definitely use it on some of their rides.

Since your mother is in her Late 60's, she might enjoy the shows at Hollywood Studios or Epcot. You can spend an entire day at either park without doing any thrill rides. It will most likely be hot and humid in September. Crowds in Epcot may be heavy due to the Food and Wine Festival. I would ask her what she prefers.

Hollywood Studios Shows (seated):
  • Frozen Sing-Along: Indoor theater
  • Disney Junior Live: Indoor theater
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid: Indoor theater
  • Muppet Vision 3-D: Indoor theater
  • Star Wars: Path of the Jedi: Indoor theater
  • Beauty and the Beast: Outdoor theater
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular: Outdoor theater
  • Fantasmic: Outdoor theater (night show)
Hollywood Studios Shows and performances (standing outside):
  • March of the First Order
  • Jedi Training
  • A Galaxy Far, Far, Away
  • Star Wars Galactic Spectacular (night show)
Epcot Shows (seated):
  • Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival: Indoor theater
  • Impressions de France: Indoor theater
  • The American Adventure: Indoor theater
  • American Gardens Concert: Outdoor theater
Epcot Shows and performances (standing inside):
  • Voices of Liberty - America (there are a few benches)
  • O Canada
  • Reflections of China
Epcot Shows and performances (standing outside):
  • British Revolution or Quickstep - United Kingdom
  • Jeweled Dragon Acrobats - China
  • Mariachi Cobre - Mexico
  • Matboukha Groove - Morocco
  • Matsuriza - Japan
  • Sergio - Itay
  • Serveur Amusant - France
  • Wies N Buam - Germany
  • Illuminations (night show)

Last edited:

Have fun. My father came with us at the same age and he loved it! Just relax and be a little kid again in the parks :) He loved the sights and sounds and the incredible production Disney always made about everything. Its like being a part of a giant show all day long.

If you do the Mickey's Halloween Party, remember that you can get in about 4pm instead of waiting for the 7pm party start.

Since your mother is in her Late 60's, she might enjoy the shows at Hollywood Studios or Epcot. You can spend an entire day at either park without doing any thrill rides. It will most likely be hot and humid in September. Crowds in Epcot may be heavy due to the Food and Wine Festival. I would ask her what she prefers.

Hollywood Studios Shows (seated):
  • Frozen Sing-Along: Indoor theater
  • Disney Junior Live: Indoor theater
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid: Indoor theater
  • Muppet Vision 3-D: Indoor theater
  • Star Wars: Path of the Jedi: Indoor theater
  • Beauty and the Beast: Outdoor theater
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular: Outdoor theater
  • Fantasmic: Outdoor theater (night show)
Hollywood Studios Shows and performances (standing outside):
  • March of the First Order
  • Jedi Training
  • A Galaxy Far, Far, Away
  • Star Wars Galactic Spectacular (night show)
Epcot Shows (seated):
  • Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival: Indoor theater
  • Impressions de France: Indoor theater
  • The American Adventure: Indoor theater
  • American Gardens Concert: Outdoor theater
Epcot Shows and performances (standing inside):
  • Voices of Liberty - America (there are a few benches)
  • O Canada
  • Reflections of China
Epcot Shows and performances (standing outside):
  • British Revolution or Quickstep - United Kingdom
  • Jeweled Dragon Acrobats - China
  • Mariachi Cobre - Mexico
  • Matboukha Groove - Morocco
  • Matsuriza - Japan
  • Sergio - Itay
  • Serveur Amusant - France
  • Wies N Buam - Germany
  • Illuminations (night show)

I gave her a choice on which park of the three(AK, HS, or Epcot) on our ticket, and she chose AK. She is an animal lover so I think that will suit her well, and with Pandora opening up this May, that is additional attraction. We will be going to AK on September 14th. Also, the day time for September 15th is likely going to be just me. I think she was wanting time to do a bit of shopping so I thought she could do that while I enjoy the parks a bit more.

Last edited:
I've personally never done HHN but as far as I can gather the main selling points are the walk-through houses where you get chased and people jump out at you as you walk around the park although there are some safe zones. I would only take your mother there is she enjoys being made to jump/her heart can handle it repeatedly. The Universal board will be more helpful with what you can expect. Disney's Halloween party is a great way to experience MK. Ride lines are in generally very short so you can get a lot done. Depends on which day of the week you would be attending. Sunday/Tues parties tend to have smaller crowds (other than the first parties of the season) while Fridays are busier with locals.

Kali is generally ok, but bouncing off the walls can be a bit jolty. And there is no way of telling which seats will get soaked so be prepared for that. Oops, just realised I forgot to mention Dinosaur at AK. It throws you around quite a lot and is one of the most intense rides on property.

The number of people who don't research their Disney holiday would shock you haha

You have been a lot of help, but I only mentioned Universal since we are undecided on what to do September 15th, but I have heard HHN can be quite a bit more expensive than MNSSHP, so we may end up getting priced out of that one anyway. I can tolerate the scare factor, but personally don't get into horror much past the classic monsters anyway. The one advantage MNSSHP really has for adults, in my opinion, is the ability to go in costume. Given that I am an aspiring actor, it is a nice opportunity to apply my skill set, even if only for then. Of course, if I don't make it on the September trip, another trip down in October for a day or two isn't entirely out of the question(though we also have a Bahamas cruise in December so I will have to see).

You have been a lot of help, but I only mentioned Universal since we are undecided on what to do September 15th, but I have heard HHN can be quite a bit more expensive than MNSSHP, so we may end up getting priced out of that one anyway. I can tolerate the scare factor, but personally don't get into horror much past the classic monsters anyway. The one advantage MNSSHP really has for adults, in my opinion, is the ability to go in costume. Given that I am an aspiring actor, it is a nice opportunity to apply my skill set, even if only for then. Of course, if I don't make it on the September trip, another trip down in October for a day or two isn't entirely out of the question(though we also have a Bahamas cruise in December so I will have to see).

No worries. Always happy to help out fellow DISers :D. Yeh the dressing up is great! Some of the costumes are AMAZING! People really get inventive or have full beautiful cosplay outfits. Not sure if you've been down to Florida at that time of year but it is still crazy hot plus really high humidity so costume choice is key lol. I have no idea how those in long dresses and jackets do it! I'm going at the end of October for the first time so I'm hoping the humidity won't be trying to kill me by then.

No worries. Always happy to help out fellow DISers :D. Yeh the dressing up is great! Some of the costumes are AMAZING! People really get inventive or have full beautiful cosplay outfits. Not sure if you've been down to Florida at that time of year but it is still crazy hot plus really high humidity so costume choice is key lol. I have no idea how those in long dresses and jackets do it! I'm going at the end of October for the first time so I'm hoping the humidity won't be trying to kill me by then.

I have been to Miami in October, and that wasn't too bad, but Orland will be worse because it is inland. I chose September because I wanted to break my FL travel into two weekend trips instead of a full week. Orlando in September and a Bahamas cruise out of Miami in December. I am already working on costume ideas. Natural for me, since I am an actor(still at the beginning) and writer. Probably will do something unique that is a bit Disney inspired, but not a direct copy.

I have been to Miami in October, and that wasn't too bad, but Orland will be worse because it is inland. I chose September because I wanted to break my FL travel into two weekend trips instead of a full week. Orlando in September and a Bahamas cruise out of Miami in December. I am already working on costume ideas. Natural for me, since I am an actor(still at the beginning) and writer. Probably will do something unique that is a bit Disney inspired, but not a direct copy.

Yeh I'm hoping the end of October should be good for my trip. That is a good trip. I wish I could just pop over for a long weekend but the 8 hour flight is a bit of a killer lol. Haha you have got me thinking about mine too. I've done Disneybounding type costumes and been lazy and bought a costume dress from Hot Topic but not sure what I fancy doing this year. I shall just have to wait for inspiration to strike

Yeh I'm hoping the end of October should be good for my trip. That is a good trip. I wish I could just pop over for a long weekend but the 8 hour flight is a bit of a killer lol. Haha you have got me thinking about mine too. I've done Disneybounding type costumes and been lazy and bought a costume dress from Hot Topic but not sure what I fancy doing this year. I shall just have to wait for inspiration to strike

I live in Virginia so 2-3 hour flight or 10 hour drive. If we drive, we may spend a day in St. Augustine as well. As far as costumes and makeup, given my profession as an actor, I take doing my own costume as a point of pride. No harm in using bought items as part of a costume. Hollywood costumers, including ones that work for Disney Studios(in Burbank), do that all the time.

In regards to EPCOT in 1/2 a day...it will depend on what day of the week you are going and what time of day you are going. Since it is F&W, if you go during the week and do the morning/early afternoon timeframe, you could cover a lot of ground. Once about 4pm hits though, the locals start showing up and the place starts getting more crowded. The weekends are pretty crowded, so you might not be able to get as much done if that is when you are there.

We took my mom and dad to AK a few years ago and they loved it. My one recommendation would to this: go at her pace, not yours. We went at our pace on that day and just about wiped them out. :)

Have a great trip!

In regards to EPCOT in 1/2 a day...it will depend on what day of the week you are going and what time of day you are going. Since it is F&W, if you go during the week and do the morning/early afternoon timeframe, you could cover a lot of ground. Once about 4pm hits though, the locals start showing up and the place starts getting more crowded. The weekends are pretty crowded, so you might not be able to get as much done if that is when you are there.

We took my mom and dad to AK a few years ago and they loved it. My one recommendation would to this: go at her pace, not yours. We went at our pace on that day and just about wiped them out. :)

Have a great trip!

We went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg in October, so I have an idea of the pace she can handle, and even at her pace, AK should be doable in a day. Pandora will be a priority though, but I also expect that to be busy since it's a new area. My free day is on a Friday, 9am to 3pm, so I am looking at the best way to maximize my time. The second day I will probably be on my own though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter