A Cause For Celebration: A Wedding, A Marathon & A 30th Birthday - January 2018 Update:12/28

I don't even understand a little bit of that stuff about group rates, but ... awesome that you're getting a free night at the Grand Floridian!
I've stayed at Pop Century twice, and while it's not the nicest hotel out there, it's decent. They just started refurbishing the rooms, so it's possible you'll get a shiny new room. Also, the only difference between standard and preferred is the location ... but at a hotel the size of Pop, that can be a big deal.

Yay for getting your flights booked - that's always a relief!

After weighing all of the pros and cons, we decided to just suck it up and pay for Disney onsite prices, and have now booked a room for December 30th and 31st at Pop Century! It wasn't a hotel at the top of my priority list, but I spent more per night on that than I did for Old Key West (thanks surge pricing!)

We've always had good experiences at Pop the few times we've stayed there, so hopefully it'll work perfectly for your needs. But that's insane about the holiday pricing!!

The room block process itself is a little complicated, and I won't even pretend that I fully understand it, but we filled out the necessary paperwork and were sent an addendum on our contract. Once we sign that off and return it, along with confirmation numbers for hotel stays booked for our wedding, they will reserve us a room for the night we requested (Jan. 1st). Hopefully, if all goes well we will be spending one night here:​

Yay! We're also using the Grand for our free night. I'd wanted Beach/Yacht Club, but there was no availability, so we decided we'd use it to stay somewhere we'd never stay out of pocket. Hopefully your room block stuff goes easier than ours did. I can't mention the details, but everything got sorted for us in the end. It was just a journey to get there. But since you've got a lot of DVC reservations booked already it should be really straightforward I'd think.

So, our trip is now confirmed as being 14 nights - the second longest trip I've ever done!

Wow!! So exciting!! You will love having all that time to enjoy all Disney has to offer and to take time for yourselves as a couple. <3 Counting our night at Daytona, ours works out to 12 nights, not including road trip days, so I'm pretty psyched as well.

We just returned from our trip to New Brunswick yesterday. I'll do a post at some point with pictures from our Mickey Mouse themed engagement party :)

That's adorable—can't wait to see!

I'll do a post at some point with pictures from our Mickey Mouse themed engagement party :)
Fun!

We stayed at Pop and liked it back in January, but that was also our first trip, so we might be biased now :) But we are planning on Pop for our trip next January.

I saw pictures of your shower on FB, it was adorable and looked like so much fun!!!

It wasn't a hotel at the top of my priority list, but I spent more per night on that than I did for Old Key West (thanks surge pricing!)​
Not sure if you're up on my PTR for August, but we're staying two nights at Pop and it'll be our first time there. I haven't ever looked to stay there none of us are jumping out of our pants excited about it, but as the day gets closer I'm actually looking forward to it a bit. The larger than life statues look so cute and the refurbed rooms seem nice! It'll certainly be different than what we're used to but we don't plan on being in the room much and quite a few Dis'ers are telling me good things about it :)

I even spent the little extra and booked a preferred room for the two nights.
Yup, so did we!

January 1, 2018 - January 2, 2018: Grand Floridian (hopefully!)
Now THIS is something to get excited about! And someplace Steve and I would love to stay. We tried a couple times to rent points here but they go so fast, and even with my TA discount the price is crazy high. Someday.................

I don't even understand a little bit of that stuff about group rates, but ... awesome that you're getting a free night at the Grand Floridian!
I've stayed at Pop Century twice, and while it's not the nicest hotel out there, it's decent. They just started refurbishing the rooms, so it's possible you'll get a shiny new room. Also, the only difference between standard and preferred is the location ... but at a hotel the size of Pop, that can be a big deal.

Yay for getting your flights booked - that's always a relief!

Yeah, I don't really understand all of the room block stuff either haha. I just know we have more than enough room nights to get a complimentary night at a hotel of our choice - our first choice is obviously the Grand, just because I don't see us ever paying out of pocket to stay there. If there's no availability there, I'd have no problem taking our free night at the Contemporary or the Polynesian or Beach Club...you get it haha.

Yeah, I looked at the map, and I'm glad I paid the little extra for a preferred room. I'd imagine the hotel will be fairly full the days we're there (December 30th and 31st), and it'll be nice to not have to walk forever to get to the buses.

We've always had good experiences at Pop the few times we've stayed there, so hopefully it'll work perfectly for your needs. But that's insane about the holiday pricing!!

Yeah, the holiday prices gave me a bit of sticker shock. When we booked our 11 night stay at Old Key West by renting DVC points, it worked out to ~$162/night. I paid $217/night for Pop Century - ouch!

Yay! We're also using the Grand for our free night. I'd wanted Beach/Yacht Club, but there was no availability, so we decided we'd use it to stay somewhere we'd never stay out of pocket. Hopefully your room block stuff goes easier than ours did. I can't mention the details, but everything got sorted for us in the end. It was just a journey to get there. But since you've got a lot of DVC reservations booked already it should be really straightforward I'd think.

I'm hoping it'll be straight forward... and I'm hoping it works out for us to use our free night at the Grand! I can't wait to hear all about your stay there!

Wow!! So exciting!! You will love having all that time to enjoy all Disney has to offer and to take time for yourselves as a couple. <3 Counting our night at Daytona, ours works out to 12 nights, not including road trip days, so I'm pretty psyched as well.

Hurray for long wedding trips!

We stayed at Pop and liked it back in January, but that was also our first trip, so we might be biased now :) But we are planning on Pop for our trip next January.

I'm sure it will be fine! We stayed at All Star Music on our first trip, and had no real issues with that place (we just wanted queen beds on our next trip haha)

I saw pictures of your shower on FB, it was adorable and looked like so much fun!!!

Thanks! It was great!

Not sure if you're up on my PTR for August, but we're staying two nights at Pop and it'll be our first time there. I haven't ever looked to stay there none of us are jumping out of our pants excited about it, but as the day gets closer I'm actually looking forward to it a bit. The larger than life statues look so cute and the refurbed rooms seem nice! It'll certainly be different than what we're used to but we don't plan on being in the room much and quite a few Dis'ers are telling me good things about it :)

Yeah, I've been hearing some good things about it, and the grounds do look really cute! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after you stay there in August!

Yup, so did we!

It seems worth it! When we stayed at All Star Music, we just booked a standard room and that walk at the end of a long park day kind of sucked haha. We're not even doing park days for most of our stay at Pop, but I still wanted to be closer to the main building.

Now THIS is something to get excited about! And someplace Steve and I would love to stay. We tried a couple times to rent points here but they go so fast, and even with my TA discount the price is crazy high. Someday.................

Yeah, I'm hoping it works out!

177 Days until WDW
188 Days until our Disney Wedding
117/120 Days until Fastpasses

ADR's!

You guys! Today was our second ADR day, and we now have all of our dining reservations in place (except for the final day of our trip, which hasn't opened up for booking yet due to the length of our stay, but it's fine since we have no plans made anyways).

Having dining reservations in place just makes the entire trip feel so much more real, and I was pleasantly surprised at the ease at which everything went... And now, our list:

December 30th, 2018: Tony's Town Square (9:20pm, 2 people)

December 31st, 2018: Narcoossee's Brunch (11:25am, 2 people), Homecomin' (8:50pm, 2 people)

January 1st, 2018: 1900 Park Fare (6:35pm, 2 people), California Grill (8:55pm, 2 people) - one of these will be dropped, just not sure which one yet

January 2nd, 2018: Boma (7:30am, 2 people), Tiffins (1pm, 2 people), Saana (8:15pm, 2 people)

January 3rd, 2018: Trail's End (9:45am, 2 people)

January 4th, 2018: Mama Melrose (7:25pm, 2 people)

January 5th, 2018: Trattoria El Forno (8:45am, 2 people), Liberty Tree Tavern (6:15pm, 2 people)

January 6th, 2018: 50's Prime Time (12:50pm, 2 people)

January 7th, 2018: 'Ohana (9:45pm, 18 people)

January 8th, 2018: Le Cellier (12:35/12:45, 18 people - split into 2 reservations), Garden Grill (7:05/7:15, 20 people, split into 2 reservations)

January 9th, 2018: Crystal Palace (8:15am, 20 people), Be Our Guest (1pm. 20 people - split into 2 reservations)

January 10th, 2018: Wedding Day

January 11th, 2018: Tusker House (10:45am, 12 people)

January 12th, 2018: Beaches and Cream (1:10/1:20, 16 people - split into 2 reservations)

Overall, I'm really happy with our list! I'll call Disney Dining and adjust the numbers for the large reservations down if I need to once we're a little closer and people have a better grasp of their plans for the trip. I know most of the reservations that we've split into 2, our two groups will more than likely not be sitting together, but that's probably for the best haha (Be Our Guest at lunch is self-seating, so we'll be able to sit however we want for that one). I also imagine I'll tinker around with some of the reservations for the week Luke and I are there by ourselves...

We're also waiting for a few things to be extended into January - we plan on doing the Star Wars Dessert Party on January 12th with everyone. Luke and I are possibly interested in the Happily Ever After Dessert Party in Magic Kingdom or the Frozen Dessert Party in Epcot as well, and we'd love to do Highway in the Sky too (it was announced right before our trip this year, but it immediately sold out for every date we were there). A lot of the gaps in our schedule up above, we already have ideas of which quick service locations we want to visit, but I really love having table service reservations, so we'll see how many of those gaps last without being filled by an ADR...

Last edited:
Having dining reservations in place just makes the entire trip feel so much more real, and I was pleasantly surprised at the ease at which everything went... And now, our list:

Your plans look great! You've got some of the same ADRs we picked, and a few others I'd love to try on another trip.

I'll call Disney Dining and adjust the numbers for the large reservations down if I need to once we're a little closer and people have a better grasp of their plans for the trip.

And if when you do this they say there's "no availability," (which is stupid because if there's availability for 10 then there's obviously availability for 6, etc.,) then you can just show up with however many people you actually have and as long as at least one person goes to the ADR you won't get charged.

we plan on doing the Star Wars Dessert Party on January 12th with everyone. Luke and I are possibly interested in the Happily Ever After Dessert Party in Magic Kingdom or the Frozen Dessert Party in Epcot as well, and we'd love to do Highway in the Sky too (it was announced right before our trip this year, but it immediately sold out for every date we were there).

These sound like really fun plans! Amazing how quickly Highway in the Sky sold out!

And if when you do this they say there's "no availability," (which is stupid because if there's availability for 10 then there's obviously availability for 6, etc.,) then you can just show up with however many people you actually have and as long as at least one person goes to the ADR you won't get charged.

This is great to know, thanks!

These sound like really fun plans! Amazing how quickly Highway in the Sky sold out!

I'm really hoping Highway in the Sky gets extended! Right now, it's only booking until the end of September...

Wowza!!! Great job getting your ADRs in order!!!! That's an impressive list :)

Thanks! I'm excited about it :)

Trip Changes!
Now, we all know you can't make ADR's on day 180 and then just leave them alone until you actually go on your trip... We haven't made too many changes just yet, but we did drop our 6:15pm Liberty Tree Tavern reservation on January 5th and picked up an ADR for the same day, same location for 4:15pm. That evening, we will be going to the Happily Ever After dessert party with Plaza Garden viewing :) I've heard mixed reviews on that dessert party, but at this point it's already paid for, the view of the castle looks pretty good and I'm sure we'll have fun.

Remember how I had said I had booked a preferred room at Pop Century for December 30th and 31st? Well, I cancelled that. We received our room block information for our wedding, and I realized I could book for those two nights using our room block, so I now have a standard room booked at Pop Century. By cancelling and then re-booking through our room block, we saved over $250 (our room block is the same price for every night between December 27th and January 18th, so no NYE surge pricing like going direct through the Disney website). This made me so happy! $250 will cover a few meals for us :)

Our complimentary night from our room block has also been processed, and it is now set that we will be staying at the Grand Floridian for one night on January 1st :) I'm really looking forward to this!

$250 ... that's amazing!! The difference between standard and preferred really isn't that big at Pop (it's an extra 2-5 minutes walking, depending on which section you're in), and saving the money is definitely worth it. Spending money on food is much better than spending it on a hotel room. :)

That evening, we will be going to the Happily Ever After dessert party with Plaza Garden viewing :) I've heard mixed reviews on that dessert party

I think you'll like it, we enjoyed it.

so I now have a standard room booked at Pop Century. By cancelling and then re-booking through our room block, we saved over $250 (our room block is the same price for every night between December 27th and January 18th, so no NYE surge pricing like going direct through the Disney website). This made me so happy! $250 will cover a few meals for us :)

That's awesome! We stayed in a non-preferred room at Pop, and the walk really wasn't that bad.

Our complimentary night from our room block has also been processed, and it is now set that we will be staying at the Grand Floridian for one night on January 1st :) I'm really looking forward to this!

Ooo what a fun New Years :thumbsup2

By cancelling and then re-booking through our room block, we saved over $250 (our room block is the same price for every night between December 27th and January 18th, so no NYE surge pricing like going direct through the Disney website). This made me so happy! $250 will cover a few meals for us :)

Fabulous news!! Every bit counts, and $250 is a pretty large "bit" if you ask me!

Excellent news also about your complimentary night! We'll both be feeling super fancy getting our free nights at the Grand :)

$250 ... that's amazing!! The difference between standard and preferred really isn't that big at Pop (it's an extra 2-5 minutes walking, depending on which section you're in), and saving the money is definitely worth it. Spending money on food is much better than spending it on a hotel room. :)

I actually re-did my math, and we saved $450 by setting up and using our room block! I'll explain the math below :) And I agree - I'd much rather spend that extra money on food or souvenirs then a bed to sleep in.

I think you'll like it, we enjoyed it.

I think we'll enjoy having a reserved spot to watch the show :)

That's awesome! We stayed in a non-preferred room at Pop, and the walk really wasn't that bad.

Standard was the only option through our room block, but I'm sure it'll be fine. We stayed in a standard room at All Star Music on our first trip.

Ooo what a fun New Years :thumbsup2

I'm excited!

YAY, YAY, YAY!!! That's incredible :)

I'm really looking forward to it! It's a hotel we would never pay for out of pocket at the prices they charge!

Fabulous news!! Every bit counts, and $250 is a pretty large "bit" if you ask me!

Excellent news also about your complimentary night! We'll both be feeling super fancy getting our free nights at the Grand :)

When I looked at my math again, its actually more like a $450 savings!

I can't wait to hear all about your night at the Grand!! Your wedding is getting so close!

Life Updates

Sorry I've been kind of MIA from here lately, life has been crazy! I also still owe you guys some pictures from our New Brunswick engagement party that we had in June!

A few weeks ago, Luke and I went axe throwing as part of a bachelorette party (yes, Luke went to the bachelorette - the bride is one of his best friends, and is actually a 'groomswoman' in our wedding, and Luke is officiating at her wedding). We were both actually pretty good at it! I don't think this is something I need to do again for awhile, but it was definitely something worth doing at least once!

IMG_6667.JPG IMG_6669.JPG

In the picture above, you can't really tell but my psoriasis was pretty bad and it had spread to my face. Shortly after that, I finally got in to see a dermatologist (after 6+ months of waiting...). He gave me some new creams to try, and what a difference! My skin is almost back to normal!

We've gone to a few concerts over the past few weeks as well :) We went to a Counting Crows and Matchbox 20 show (because apparently it's 1998 again?). It was my second time seeing both of those band, and I'm good with never seeing Counting Crows again. I really like a lot of their music, but it seems like they don't really care about putting on a great show and just do it because they have to. Matchbox 20 though still puts on a great show!

Counting Crows.jpg
Matchbox 20.jpg

We also went to an Ed Sheeran concert. I've now seen him three times in concert, once for each album he's put out, and he's wonderful. He puts on such a great show, and I'm always fascinated by looping pedals, despite how many times I've seen them used. I really loved the visuals of this tour as well.

IMG_6805.JPG IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6809.JPG
We also went to see July Talk in concert one night at K-Days, Edmonton's exhibition/carnival/fair/whatever you want to call it. They are a really fun Canadian band that always put on an amazing show, but unfortunately it started raining about an hour before their set, and they had to cancel the show due to a thunderstorm warning.

Luke went to the bachelor party of the groom from the aforementioned bachelorette party 2 weekends ago. They started their day by renting a baseball field and playing ball. Luke even went and bought himself a brand new glove for it, since he hadn't played in years... and of course he texted me about an hour later saying he thought he had broke his finger, and was heading to the hospital for X-Rays...

IMG_6774.JPG

Yeah... it was broken. And quite badly - I had to take him to the hospital yesterday and he actually underwent surgery to rebuild his finger. The bones were so shattered that they had to take a piece of bone from his wrist and put it into his finger along with some pins and screws. He's now in a partial cast/tension bandages and can't remove those until next week when he goes to see the plastic surgeon for a follow-up. He's also looking at about 3 months of physiotherapy before he regains full movement in his hand (and he's already been told he'll probably never fully regain full movement in the shattered finger.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that the new psoriasis cream is working well - that must be such a relief!

You guys always go to so many fun concerts! I would love to see Matchbox 20 ... they were one of my favorite bands back in the day. I've never been a huge Ed Sheeran fan, but I've heard that he puts on a good show. Glad you enjoyed!

Poor Luke :(. I saw the pictures of him in the hospital on Instagram yesterday. I hope his recovery goes well!

Sorry I've been kind of MIA from here lately, life has been crazy! I also still owe you guys some pictures from our New Brunswick engagement party that we had in June!

Life happens, no worries!

In the picture above, you can't really tell but my psoriasis was pretty bad and it had spread to my face. Shortly after that, I finally got in to see a dermatologist (after 6+ months of waiting...). He gave me some new creams to try, and what a difference! My skin is almost back to normal!

Happy that you're seeing so much improvement with your psoriasis! That's great news!

Luke even went and bought himself a brand new glove for it, since he hadn't played in years... and of course he texted me about an hour later saying he thought he had broke his finger, and was heading to the hospital for X-Rays...

img_6774-jpg.258914

Oh no!! Sending positive vibes your/Luke's way for a better-than-expected recovery!

Lots of fun concerts!!! I haven't been to one in forever!!

OUCH on Luke's finger!!! Two years ago, my husband destroyed his ring finger on his left hand playing softball. Even after surgery and therapy he still hasn't got full range of motion in it and it was very challenging to get him a new wedding ring for our vow renewal. I was SO aggravated. Luckily the swelling finally went down to a reasonable point where we were able to get a ring big enough to slide over it. Hoping Luke has a speedy recovery!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter