A Cancellation, A Proposal and A Lot of Food - Marathon Weekend 2017 COMPLETE!

We headed out, and caught a bus to Animal Kingdom - my favourite park! By the time we arrived, the park was already open, but the lineup to scan your Magicband was huge - luckily we remembered a tip we had read about going through the Rainforest Cafe! So, we veered hard left, entered the restaurant, walked through the gift shop and came out into a little courtyard with a scanner and a very bored looking cast member. There wasn't a single other person in line ahead of us, so we quickly scanned our bands/fingerprint, and into the park we went!

This is such a good hack! We've done this more than once.

Tusker House is on our must-do every time list, the food is great, the characters are great and I love the look of the restaurant itself.

Agree - such a fun meal experience.

We stopped for a few Photopass pictures on the bridge since the line was not very long. I also love the shirts we were both wearing that day - people kept stopping to ask Luke where his Flash shirt came from. I don't think many people understood what mine was...

I love both of your shirts!

I love Tusker House! We are skipping it this trip in lieu of Tiffins while we still have the AP discount, but I have a feeling it will pop back up next trip :P

Ooo, I'm curious about your thoughts on Tiffins, it's on my list for our next trip but I'm a little weary of it, I'm not a very adventurous eater...

Me too! I remember when Animal Kingdom first opened they had all these specials on Disney Channel about it, and the part where they talked about the tree was always my favorite. It's so intricate and detailed, and you can look forever and ever and always find new things.

That's what I love about Animal Kingdom, and part of why it's my favourite park! Every time you go, you can find new things that you never noticed before!

Oh girl, I haven't leaned back for that in fifteen years.

Haha! Glad I'm not the only one!

Mine too! Always a great ride :)

I'd much rather be riding Everest right now than sitting at my desk at work haha.

I haven't seen it in years, so I need to do that next time too!

Yes, you must! It's a great way to spend half an hour!

Smart move leaning forward during the poke in the back part of It's Tough to be a Bug - that's the worst part. There's no reason for an attraction to be poking people in the back. So painful.

I've never even felt it, I rarely sit all the way back in a chair an now that I know about the back poke, I can't even bring myself to sit back during It's Tough to be a Bug.

Is that a Yeti on your shirt? Very cool - that's actually probably the perfect shirt for Animal Kingdom! I love it!!

Yes! I thought so too! You know the part after the ride goes backwards and comes to a complete stop before going forwards again? My shirt is from that screen, it's the Yeti that is projected above your head while stopped.

Going to sleep without having an alarm set is awesome. Bummer that it's because the race got cancelled, but ... I'm glad you found the bright side of the cancellation!

Haha, more sleep is always a win in my books!

All caught up!!

Now I'm ashamed of how far behind I am on all of your reports! I'll eventually get there!

I love these pictures!

Thanks! Me too!

now THAT is the way to start the day!

Haha, that bottle of Bailey's was a MUST for Luke. Thanks Duty-Free airport shopping!

Thanks for the tip! Good to know!

It worked really well for us on both of our Animal Kingdom days!

Is that...fake snow?? Cool!

That photographer loved the Magic Shots haha!

Agreed. I love Indiana Jones but can't really stand Dinosaur.

Indiana Jones is one of the best rides at Disneyland! I feel like they ran out of money building Dinosaur or something, and just decided to leave a lot of parts completely dark instead of putting the same amount of detail that they used in each scene of the Indy ride....

OMG where is this from in AK?!? I have to get one!

I believe it's called Tamu Tamu refreshments? It's in the Harambe section of the park :)

Sorry about the cancellation but yay for not having to wake up so early!

There's few things in life I love as much as sleep! Haha!

This is such a good hack! We've done this more than once.

I'm surprised more people don't know about this!

Agree - such a fun meal experience.

And such great food!

I love both of your shirts!

Thanks! TeePublic for both of them!

I know you type up your reports elsewhere before putting them on here - do you just do the words and then insert the pictures directly here?

I actually type it up in an old TR so I can see the formatting (and do formatting.) I'll paste in the pictures as required. Sometimes, to speed things up, I'll paste in all the photos and write around them.
I'll copy the whole thing into a Word document for saving though. I've lost chapters before when I've not done that.

Once it's all done and pretty, I'll copy the whole mess into the current TR.

I know, the nerve! I wouldn't mind having a personal golf cart to ride around Disney all the time! :rotfl:

Hmmm... they already have the VIP bus pass... they should consider this!

Any excuse to plan another Disney trip!

Yep.

"Look. It's cloudy out today... We should go to Disney!"

It's not as great as some of the ones you've got on that ride, I need to start thinking about how to get a good one next trip...

And so it begins... :laughing:

That was before my Disney time, so I've only known the current menu. I'm also not much for burgers, so the current menu is up my alley!

Up your alley? Shouldn't that be down the hatch?

And it wasn't even that busy in the park, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to move.

Sloth-like.

OKW is HUGE! The internal shuttle was really handy!

I've never been there. I didn't realize it was that big!

I pretty much stop functioning like a human being when I'm that overtired.

Oh, cool! So you were doing robot moves?

We woke up a little later than originally planned (but still pretty early for vacation in my opinion).

What time, about?

"coffee"... check.

We headed out, and caught a bus to Animal Kingdom - my favourite park! By the time we arrived, the park was already open, but the lineup to scan your Magicband was huge - luckily we remembered a tip we had read about going through the Rainforest Cafe! So, we veered hard left, entered the restaurant, walked through the gift shop and came out into a little courtyard with a scanner and a very bored looking cast member. There wasn't a single other person in line ahead of us, so we quickly scanned our bands/fingerprint, and into the park we went!

Interesting! I knew about this, but have never used it since I normally do rope drop. You may be the first people I've read who have actually done it.

we realized our original plan of a ride on the Safari wouldn't be possible.

Too tight with your ADR? Or just too long a line?

Tusker House is on our must-do every time list, the food is great, the characters are great and I love the look of the restaurant itself.

I've never been. Thanks for the review!

so off to It's Tough to Be a Bug! I just love walking underneath the tree and seeing all the detail they put into it.

::yes:: I hadn't known those were there until my last visit.

I always lean forward during the poke in the back part though - I honestly don't even know what that feels like since I can't bring myself to sit back for it haha.

I was worried about it... but it's really nothing.

Love the kid in front.

I also love the shirts we were both wearing that day - people kept stopping to ask Luke where his Flash shirt came from. I don't think many people understood what mine was...

They didn't???? But it's so obvious!

Unless you've never done the ride, I guess?

then it was time for our 2nd Fastpass of the day - Dinosaur!

Now that one is tougher on a back!

a Dole Whip with coconut rum

Not a rum fan... and I will never eat coconut... Waste of a good Dole Whip!!

Nice!
Never been when the Christmas decorations are up.

Was he very disappointed? Or slightly relieved that he could relax?

The last thing I need to do is start another report b/c I'm behind on all the ones that I'm already reading, but...but...I LOVE TRs!! I had to pop in and read :-):-)

Also - yes, I only posted that stuff so I could post pictures of my dogs :love:

This is something I would do and have done :rotfl:We have four dogs, and I try to get them into a report at least once!

Their three year old daughter figured she should just come with us on our trip, and climbed into my suitcase haha:

I like her style!!

He scanned our boarding passes, and an actual picture of our suitcases appeared on the screen - we had to confirm that they were ours.

How convenient! I've never flown internationally and thinking about customs and bags and everything...:faint:

While he was in Starbucks, I said my goodbyes to my mom and Nanny

Both of my grandmothers were called Nanny too :lovestruc I am sorry for your loss :hug:

I don’t think I mentioned this in the previous post, but I took a screenshot of our plans for the day in the MDE app, and then set that as my lock screen on my phone each day. It made it extremely easy to check on FP+ times without actually entering my passcode to unlock my phone.

This is genius!! I'm stealing this idea!

I think I had a little adrenaline from the excitement of the race.

definitely adrenaline! My first 5K I ran the whole first mile from the adrenaline rush, and I wish I would have stuck with my intervals! I love your Disney 5K experience. I am determined to do a RunDisney race at some point!!

I just love this picture, he was laughing so hard!

IMG_3404-e1496330702336-225x300.jpg

This is awesome!

I'm just realizing now that we didn't get our on-ride photo from that, but that's ok - I hate that on-ride picture, it's taken from a really awkward angle.

Me too! And I never know where the camera is, so that doesn't help things :rotfl:

I just love walking underneath the tree and seeing all the detail they put into it.

Meee too!

I don't think many people understood what mine was...

I do and I love it! Yeti tearin' up the tracks. So cute!

I just think the Indiana Jones ride in California is so much better (and they are similar ride systems)

Agree!

Nice to meet you via your report Fallon! I see your name on others I read, and I'm excited to read more about this trip and hear about the engagement!

. I always lean forward during the poke in the back part though - I honestly don't even know what that feels like since I can't bring myself to sit back for it haha.
I never sit back either! I did years ago so I experienced it once but that was enough. I didn't enjoy the sensation.

luckily we remembered a tip we had read about going through the Rainforest Cafe! So, we veered hard left, entered the restaurant, walked through the gift shop and came out into a little courtyard with a scanner and a very bored looking cast member. There wasn't a single other person in line ahead of us, so we quickly scanned our bands/fingerprint, and into the park
I've heard that this is possible. I think you are the first report I've read specially saying that you did it successfully. Good one to keep in mind.

I've heard that this is possible. I think you are the first report I've read specially saying that you did it successfully. Good one to keep in mind.

We also do the Rainforest Cafe trick and when the main gates are very busy it's worked like a charm!

Eeek, it has been awhile since I've posted in here, so let's get back to it!

January 7, 2017

Since the half marathon was cancelled, neither one of us had to wake up with an alarm on this day – which is one of my favourite things in the world

I believe we slept until about 10am, and woke up feeling refreshed. I actually might have slept even later…

We took our time getting ready, and ate some of the snacks we had in the room for breakfast. We had no plans until supper, and we had planned on this being our day away from the parks, so we decided to head to Disney Springs for awhile. I packed only the essentials in my purse for the day – wallet, camera, fuel rod, bottle of water and lots of snacks haha –

IMG_3556.jpg

As soon as we arrived in Disney Springs, we realized we hadn’t actually ate any real food all day and we were hungry, so we went to make Luke happy with a stop at Earl of Sandwich.
After eating, we went to Amorette’s to check it out. They had so many delicious-looking things there, I wanted to sample one of everything!

IMG_3573-e1500410164482-225x300.jpg

There was also a really cute Christmas tree still up in the store, so of course I had to take a picture of it…

IMG_3582-e1500412178344-225x300.jpg

And of course, we did buy a few things…
We took our time, walking around the Disney Springs area. I really like how it looks

IMG_3585-e1500412194448-225x300.jpg

I found the Harley store, so I took this picture and sent it to my mom. Her and my step-dad own Harley’s, so she was excited about it.

IMG_3586-e1500412209878-225x300.jpg

After doing a bit of shopping (my mom had a birthday a few weeks after this trip), we decided we were cold and finished with Disney Springs. This day and the next were not the Florida weather we were expecting!

IMG_3558.jpg

*Yes, I took this earlier in the day, and yes those are in Celsius*

We headed over to the bus stops, and found the one heading to the Polynesian. We didn’t wait long before we were off. This was the first time for both of us visiting this resort – wow! I really loved the feel of this place, it’s definitely on our short list for bucket list Disney hotels.

IMG_3591-e1500412223732-225x300.jpg

It was around 3:30-3:40pm by this point, and Trader Sam’s was due to open at 4pm. We decided to go and get our name on the wait list since it was somewhere we both really wanted to check out.
After enjoying some libations at Trader Sam’s, we headed upstairs to check in for our supper reservation – at ‘Ohana!
After our supper, we had planned on sticking around, and possibly heading down to the beach to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks. I, however, had ate way too much and wasn’t feeling the greatest (and the same for Luke), so we decided to call it a night and called an Uber to take us back to Old Key West.

This was by far the most relaxed day of our trip, and I didn’t take many pictures at all. Sometimes, in the middle of a vacation, I just need a quiet day​

A nice leisurely day is sometimes the best thing!! I usually don't make time for those on our Disney vacations, but our last trip was long enough to feel like we rested a little :)

I've read so many fun reviews of Trader Sam's, and since it'll just be Rob and I on our trip this December, I'm hoping to make it over there! I like your idea of just getting there a little early to put our names in--I wasn't sure if you could do that or just line up and wait for it to open, etc. This is definitely going to help me plan!! :)

Sometimes those nice relaxing days are the best part of a vacation - it's a chance to take it easy, unwind, and rest up. Sounds like you guys did a good job with the relaxing - hopefully it helped you get energized for the rest of the trip!

Hi! :wave: Just found your TR last night and am caught up now. :thumbsup2

Congratulations on the engagement and upcoming Disney Wedding!!! :bride: :love:

I have enjoyed your Tr so far and looking forward to more

Sorry you had/have to deal with the psoriasis. I have small flare ups of it here and there but it is very minor luckily. It does tend to be in my head/scalp. My grandmother had it too, hers was a worse case, she had it on her arms, mostly elbows and knees.

Heading off to your Dining Report now!

I believe we slept until about 10am

This is possible in Disney????

I actually might have slept even later…

:faint:

so we went to make Luke happy with a stop at Earl of Sandwich.

He certainly gave it a glowing review! Now I wanna go!

After eating, we went to Amorette’s to check it out.

Never even heard of it!

They had so many delicious-looking things there, I wanted to sample one of everything!

:laughing:

We took our time, walking around the Disney Springs area. I really like how it looks

Can't wait to check it out in November because...

I found the Harley store, so I took this picture and sent it to my mom. Her and my step-dad own Harley’s, so she was excited about it.

... this is the only thing I've seen/been to.

Well... I had to get a poker chip (and a couple t-shirts) now didn't I?

I recognized it right away of course... but wondered how many of your readers just passed out?

It was around 3:30-3:40pm by this point, and Trader Sam’s was due to open at 4pm. We decided to go and get our name on the wait list since it was somewhere we both really wanted to check out.

Glad you had fun there! Even though almost everything they serve has rum in it (pkondz does not do rum), it's a cool place! (at least the one in California is. I imagine they're similar.)

I, however, had ate way too much and wasn’t feeling the greatest (and the same for Luke), so we decided to call it a night and called an Uber to take us back to Old Key West.

Sorry to hear you guys weren't feeling that great.

This was by far the most relaxed day of our trip, and I didn’t take many pictures at all. Sometimes, in the middle of a vacation, I just need a quiet day

::yes::

I packed only the essentials in my purse for the day – wallet, camera, fuel rod, bottle of water and lots of snacks haha –

IMG_3556.jpg

:rotfl2:

This is also how I tour.

This day and the next were not the Florida weather we were expecting!

IMG_3558.jpg

Wow!

Yeah, once when my mom and I were there in December the evenings waiting for the parade dropped below freezing a couple of days and it was actually colder there in that moment than it was in New Brunswick! The locals were not impressed. lol

I, however, had ate way too much and wasn’t feeling the greatest (and the same for Luke), so we decided to call it a night and called an Uber to take us back to Old Key West.

The curse of Ohana!!

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day!

A nice leisurely day is sometimes the best thing!! I usually don't make time for those on our Disney vacations, but our last trip was long enough to feel like we rested a little :)

I've read so many fun reviews of Trader Sam's, and since it'll just be Rob and I on our trip this December, I'm hoping to make it over there! I like your idea of just getting there a little early to put our names in--I wasn't sure if you could do that or just line up and wait for it to open, etc. This is definitely going to help me plan!! :)

Our next trip doesn't have much down time planned :confused3

You guys will definitely have to check out Trader Sam's! Maybe we could try and meet up there for a drink?

Sometimes those nice relaxing days are the best part of a vacation - it's a chance to take it easy, unwind, and rest up. Sounds like you guys did a good job with the relaxing - hopefully it helped you get energized for the rest of the trip!

I love having a relaxing day right in the middle of the trip - I love sleeping in!

Hi! :wave: Just found your TR last night and am caught up now. :thumbsup2

Congratulations on the engagement and upcoming Disney Wedding!!! :bride: :love:

I have enjoyed your Tr so far and looking forward to more

Sorry you had/have to deal with the psoriasis. I have small flare ups of it here and there but it is very minor luckily. It does tend to be in my head/scalp. My grandmother had it too, hers was a worse case, she had it on her arms, mostly elbows and knees.

Heading off to your Dining Report now!

Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

This is possible in Disney????

Haha, I love my sleep!!

He certainly gave it a glowing review! Now I wanna go!

Its so cheap too!

Never even heard of it!

It's no Cookies by George, but its worth checking out if you like fancy treats :)

Can't wait to check it out in November because...

... this is the only thing I've seen/been to.

Well... I had to get a poker chip (and a couple t-shirts) now didn't I?

Well of course! You can't be close to a Harley Store and not go buy some poker chips!

I recognized it right away of course... but wondered how many of your readers just passed out?

Haha, does it ever get below zero (Celsius of course) in Florida?

Glad you had fun there! Even though almost everything they serve has rum in it (pkondz does not do rum), it's a cool place! (at least the one in California is. I imagine they're similar.)

They are similar! The food options in California are way better though! I'm also not the biggest rum fan, but I found a way to make it work :rotfl2:

:rotfl2:

This is also how I tour.

Haha, you always need to have snacks with you!

Wow!

Yeah, once when my mom and I were there in December the evenings waiting for the parade dropped below freezing a couple of days and it was actually colder there in that moment than it was in New Brunswick! The locals were not impressed. lol

I don't love the cold, but it sure keeps the crowds low in the parks!

The curse of Ohana!!

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day!

It was a great day :)

Haha, I love my sleep!!

That's what you do when you're at work!

It's no Cookies by George, but its worth checking out if you like fancy treats :)

Nothing is Cookies by George (you remembered!), but thanks for the tip!

Well of course! You can't be close to a Harley Store and not go buy some poker chips!

::yes::

Haha, does it ever get below zero (Celsius of course) in Florida?

Actually... on occasion... it does.
Not so good for the orange crop.

Thanks for sticking around, everyone who is still here! The past few months have been crazy - kittens and broken bones and lots of overtime at work, not to mention wedding planning - it's been difficult to find the time to sit down and finish this trip report! I'm hoping to have the next update soon, I'm just struggling with the Photopass website (I still haven't downloaded all of my pictures from there, and now the website keeps giving me an error message...)

:faint: Busy!

But.... broken bones???

Haha, yeah, Luke broke his finger playing baseball at a bachelor party :rotfl:. I shouldn't laugh, but it was first thing before they had started drinking or anything, and he had just spent $50 the day before buying a brand new glove to play. It was actually such a bad break that he required surgery on it, and now has some screws inside his left middle finger holding it all together. I actually posted his X-Ray on my planning report!

They haven't expired, have they? :scared:

Luckily, no! I bought myself a fancy Premier Passport (the Disney annual pass that's valid at both WDW and Disneyland) when we were in Anaheim at the end of January, so as soon as I linked that to my account it changed the expiration date on my Photopass pictures to February 2018 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter