A 2020 PTR: HHN 30, California, WDW, & More

Raeven

DIS Veteran
For those of you who haven't read one of our trip reports before
:welcome:
My name is Raeven! :wave2:

6193754E-C6F7-4711-876E-78A51B4B5062.jpeg

I'm 27, & this is my 5th year as a trip planner/TR writer on Disboards, & my 3rd year vlogging our trips. I'm a theme park fan (despite being scared of almost all rides), who equally loves Disney & Universal. I spend all year counting down to HHN. 😈 And I change my mind during vacation planning a lot (basically whenever an idea I think is better pops into my head).

I've loved Harry Potter since the moment I got the 1st book, & I'm a proud Slytherin. I grew up watching superhero movies with my dad, & my favorite is Guardians of the Galaxy. I love horror movies, especially horror comedies. My favorite show is Supernatural which I'm super sad to see end this year (but I have exciting news related to that coming up in this PTR). My favorite band is the Airborne Toxic Event who I get to see in concert this year! & I love delicious food (I like to think of myself as a french fry connoisseur).

I also like to think every trip I get a little better at Men In Black: Alien Attack, because there's no way I'm getting better at Buzz. 🤷‍♀️

My trip partner is my boyfriend of 6 years, Josh.

Usually on vacation he can be found wearing an Indiana Jones hat. Here's an artistic rendering of him in that hat if he were a puppy:

Josh recently turned 34 which we celebrated with copious amounts of food at Texas De Brazil. He doesn't like the planning process or think researching vacation destinations is fun (which is shocking to me) so mostly he leaves the planning to me. :rotfl:Although he's learned to roll with the ever changing plans well, I do take his likes/dislikes into consideration; and he always enjoys the destination.

He is much more of a thrill rider than I am, loves delicious gluten free food, & loves to watch boxing and stand up. He drinks more coffee than I've ever seen a human consume in a day, & our mutual love of HHN/horror movies/Halloween is what prompted us to start our trip taking. He isn't much of a Harry Potter fan (also shocking to me), but he would definitely be a Gryffindor. His favorite show is Spartacus, & his favorite band is The Who (he even has a tattoo of their logo).

A little background: We took our first Disney/Universal trip in September 2015. After that trip we agreed we definitely wanted to go back every year (especially to HHN). We bought AP’s to Disney/Universal & tried to squeeze in 4 trips in 2016/2017, but were interrupted by Irma which led to another year of AP's in 2018.

We decided to take a break from Disney AP's for the last 2 years to do some other traveling, and last year we went to California for the first time.

But we've remained AP holders at Universal since 2016, and haven't missed an HHN since we started going even if we were only able to go for a weekend. Last year's HHN I was lucky enough to get to go with @xlsm & Josh, and spend 6 nights at the event

We also got to meet up with @amalone1013 & Zack for the 2nd year in a row. Hopefully our dates will work out this year too so we can see them again.

Currently: We have two (possibly three if we can sneak in a weekend trip to Disney/Universal sometime) trips coming up this year! :hyper:

The first is to California again. When we went to California last year we knew there was no way we'd possibly see everything we wanted, and we'd have to go back sometime to check off more things on our list. This trip will be more LA focused (since the last one was more San Diego focused), and will include a trip to Disneyland again.

We'll also be back to Universal in September for HHN again! (I'm so excited to be going for another anniversary year since the first year we went I didn't know as much about HHN and it's history). Our trip starts on opening weekend and goes through the next weekend (depending on my day's off we'll be at HHN 5-6 days).

There's also a Supernatural convention in Orlando the first weekend, and while obviously HHN takes priority, I'm really excited about that too. I've watched Supernatural for 10 years, but I've never been to a convention because they don't have them very close to where we live so it felt meant to be when I saw there was one in Orlando that weekend.

Up Next

I'll talk about some ideas I've had for the trips & share a planning dilemma I've had.

Last edited:

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
YAY!!!!

Always look forward to your reports......and you`re there for HHN opening weekend too......we have to try and say a quick hello this time..... :wave2:

• Raeven

DIS Veteran
    YAY!!!!

Always look forward to your reports......and you`re there for HHN opening weekend too......we have to try and say a quick hello this time..... :wave2:
    Thanks for following along! Yes, we have to find each other and say hello this year!

DLo

DIS Veteran
    Popping over from your last trip report. Looking forward to reading out this year’s adventures.

• crabbymom

Slythermom to 2 'claws and a Princess
    Yay! I can't wait to read about all your 2020 fun! I will be attending Mardi Gras for the first time this year, but that is the only Universal trip I have on the books (so far!!). I will also be heading to Disney for Food & Wine this year, I haven't been to Disney in four years. And I am super excited to combine that with a couple of days at SeaWorld/Discovery Cove...I've never been to DC, and its been a solid decade since I have been to SeaWorld.

Thank you so much for all of your PTR's & TR's, I use them often when planning, day dreaming, etc.!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I'm here, wouldn't miss it!
    Yay! Thanks for following along!

:rotfl2: You and me both when it comes to Buzz.
    I don't believe that anyone can be good at Buzz. I just assumed all the guns were broken at this point. :rotfl:

Yaa, another trip report!
    Thanks for following!

Popping over from your last trip report. Looking forward to reading out this year’s adventures.
    Hi! Thanks for following along!

Yay! I can't wait to read about all your 2020 fun! I will be attending Mardi Gras for the first time this year, but that is the only Universal trip I have on the books (so far!!). I will also be heading to Disney for Food & Wine this year, I haven't been to Disney in four years. And I am super excited to combine that with a couple of days at SeaWorld/Discovery Cove...I've never been to DC, and its been a solid decade since I have been to SeaWorld.
    Ooo that sounds fun! I've always wanted to go for Mardi Gras. And I love Food & Wine! I'm pretty sure we're going again this year, but I don't know how many days we'll be spending at Disney yet. There's been so many things added over the last 4 years, you'll have so much to see!

SeaWorld was really fun when we went! We didn't get to see everything though so sometime we have to go back. Discovery Cove has a lot of cool offerings, is really beautiful, and has free snacks! (We weren't crazy about it but I think that's because we don't really like swimming or relaxing on the beach but most people do like those things :laughing:).

It sounds like you have a lot of fun things planned. I always wish we can add more things, but it never feels like we have enough time! How long is your trip?

Thank you so much for all of your PTR's & TR's, I use them often when planning, day dreaming, etc.!
    Aw thank you for reading!

crabbymom

Slythermom to 2 'claws and a Princess
    It sounds like you have a lot of fun things planned. I always wish we can add more things, but it never feels like we have enough time! How long is your trip?
    It's actually only a weekend in February for Mardi Gras, then a week in September for SeaWorld/DC/Disney. Definitely putting the "No Sleep at Disney" to the test!

• KathyM2

DIS Veteran
    I'm here!! I've been a terrible DISer of late, but excited to hear about your planning as always. I may have to go back and reread some more of your TR's because we are hoping to hit US in March this year and I have not been for many years...

It's hard when you come back after a break from the DIS - I'm trying to catch up with everyone's most current news and PTR's etc...but it can be hard to locate everyone one my DIS friends!!

In any case happy planning!! I know you said this next CA trip would be more LA focussed so will you be going to San Diego at all? We loved idessert in San Diego - just thought I'd mention it if you happen to go because it's a really fun concept!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I'm here!! I've been a terrible DISer of late, but excited to hear about your planning as always. I may have to go back and reread some more of your TR's because we are hoping to hit US in March this year and I have not been for many years...

It's hard when you come back after a break from the DIS - I'm trying to catch up with everyone's most current news and PTR's etc...but it can be hard to locate everyone one my DIS friends!!

In any case happy planning!! I know you said this next CA trip would be more LA focussed so will you be going to San Diego at all? We loved idessert in San Diego - just thought I'd mention it if you happen to go because it's a really fun concept!
    Hey! Glad you found me! :wave2: Universal will be so much fun! Are you going to Mardi Gras?

We’d like to go to San Diego again, but so far it doesn’t look like it’s in the cards. If we do DL (which so far we plan to) we probably wouldn’t have enough time so it’s one or the other right now. I hesitate to say no completely though because it was in our original plans & I change things up a lot. But so far just LA & a little Anaheim/various locations around there. Idessert was somewhere we looked at in San Diego but didn’t make it too! One of the reasons I’d like to return is we didn’t get to eat everywhere we had planned. :rotfl:

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
    My trip plans for the year: put in pto to make sure we overlap at HHN :rotfl:

I actually spent all day looking at a trip to Disneyland... I feel a need to get back there this year!

Cant wait to hear what's on your list this year! That's so great that the Supernatural convention works with your trip dates!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS