A 2019 PTR: California, HHN 29, & More Updated 9/24 Completed (TR & DTR Link Posted)

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
We'll be at Sapphire Falls so we're only a short walk from you if you're at Aventura :rotfl:
Much more tempting now! :D I was debating SF too since we havent been there. I just read the tweet in the HHN thread.
Yeah, the pretzel looks kind of weird. I was thinking of getting the donuts, but the pretzel was in the picture too, but now I know for sure to avoid it.
poor pretzel. so good in theory, but even though it was slightly warm the Carmel was really hard, I was expecting warm/soft/gooey carmel

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
All the HHN news is so exciting! The lagoon show sounds amazing and I love Academy of Villains too.

I hate House of 1000 corpses :scared::scared:

That Stranger Things bag is amazing!!

Raeven

DIS Veteran
Much more tempting now! :D I was debating SF too since we havent been there. I just read the tweet in the HHN thread.
I like Sapphire Falls it's really nice! We stayed there once a couple years ago. And we still haven't made it to Strongwater Tavern in there which I hear is really good.

poor pretzel. so good in theory, but even though it was slightly warm the Carmel was really hard, I was expecting warm/soft/gooey carmel
Oh, yuck. I wouldn't expect it to be hard either.

All the HHN news is so exciting! The lagoon show sounds amazing and I love Academy of Villains too.
It is! I can't wait! :hyper:

I hate House of 1000 corpses :scared::scared:
Yeah, I've never seen it, and I know Rob Zombie's movies have their appeal to certain people but they just aren't for me.

That Stranger Things bag is amazing!!
I love it!

• Raeven

DIS Veteran
    HHN Trip-11 days!

The trip is getting so close! So this is the time when I get extra excited and extra nervous about the weather. I feel terrible for everyone in Dorian's path, and I'm a little nervous that another storm may follow, but I'm hoping the bad weather misses us this time since we've had issues with the weather or weather worries for like 75% of the trips we've taken (no matter what time of year or where) for the last two years.

I've been trying to do some packing, but mostly I've just been piling stuff on top of the suitcase for like 2 weeks now. :rotfl:

I did watch Zombieland tonight in preparation for HHN. I liked it better than I thought, but I just don't really like Jesse Eisenberg (hence why I didn't watch it in the first place), but I thought everyone else in it was good so it saved the movie. I'm excited for what they could do with the scare zone.

They released pictures of merch for HHN, F&W, & MNSSHP (obviously since 2 of those have already started), and honestly I'm not crazy about any of it. Better for my wallet, but a little disappointing. There's an HHN shirt I have my eye on.

This one:

And I like the pint glasses, but I don't see us trying to carry too many of those back just because I'd be nervous about them breaking the whole time. Now I guess we'll just have to see what the HHN snacks are. I've seen the Starcourt Mall Food Court area on the maps, and I'm super excited for that. And I know they'll have the pizza fries, s'mores fries, and twisted taters, but I'm not sure which of those we'll try.

I got this shirt for Disney & I love the tie dye:

A final updated itiernary with the changes bolded
    (minus the first 4 days because we made no changes to those):

Tues-Food & Wine, Oga's Cantina (Epcot, MNSSHP)

This is the day we got the Oga's reservation, and we decided not to try and jam in more food before MNSSHP so we'll probably just eat/get snacks there for dinner.

Wed-Crystal Palace, Three Bridges (MK, HHN)

We decided to have a more low key dinner the night Josh arrives, and I really wanted to do Three Bridges so we moved it here.

Thurs-Boma, La Hacienda (AK, Epcot for Everclear concert/HHN)

No changes here, but I'm still contemplating if we want to keep Boma or do something else. Samantha won't be joining us until we get to AK so we may keep Boma or do somewhere else.

Fri-Mythos, Shula's (USO/HHN)
    I asked Alyssa and Zack to join us at Mythos, and we decided to only do one nice dinner this trip on Fri night.
    I'm leaning more towards Shula's because we love it, and haven't been yet this year even though we were considering trying a new place.

Sat-Red Pizza Oven and/or DS/Dluxe (USO/DS)
    Depending on crowds I was thinking of going to DS for some of the day (and to eat),
    but we'll have to see.

And here's some pictures from the last 2 weeks.

I took my sister on a ghost tour at Fort William Henry:

In this one they said there was a shadow figure/ghost under the stairs so maybe that's it :rotfl: or maybe it's my shadow but it wasn't in our other picture below so we decided we did get a picture of a ghost:

Ice cream afterwards:

My brother's grad (party) party:
    (It keeps turning the word "party" into emojis so I improvised).

And today was our 6 year anniversary!

We went to a burger place & went to see Ready or Not. It was pretty funny, but it wasn't exactly what I expected (I thought it would be a little bit more of a slasher type movie), but Adam Brody was great in it. (I love seeing him in things, and he hasn't been in a lot since The OC). The movie cut out in the middle though and we missed 6 minutes so they gave us vouchers for another movie that we'll probably use to see IT this weekend.

Truffle fries:

Also look what @amalone1013 sent me!

It's so cute! I love it!

I'm sure I'll be back on here once or twice before we go
    but we're at single digits on Wednesday!

Last edited:

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    HHN Trip-11 days!

The trip is getting so close! So this is the time when I get extra excited and extra nervous about the weather. I feel terrible for everyone in Dorian's path, and I'm a little nervous that another storm may follow, but I'm hoping the bad weather misses us this time since we've had issues with the weather or weather worries for like 75% of the trips we've taken (no matter what time of year or where) for the last two years.

View attachment 431975

I've been trying to do some packing, but mostly I've just been piling stuff on top of the suitcase for like 2 weeks now. :rotfl:

View attachment 431976

I did watch Zombieland tonight in preparation for HHN. I liked it better than I thought, but I just don't really like Jesse Eisenberg (hence why I didn't watch it in the first place), but I thought everyone else in it was good so it saved the movie. I'm excited for what they could do with the scare zone.

They released pictures of merch for HHN, F&W, & MNSSHP (obviously since 2 of those have already started), and honestly I'm not crazy about any of it. Better for my wallet, but a little disappointing. There's an HHN shirt I have my eye on.

This one:

View attachment 431977
    And I like the pint glasses, but I don't see us trying to carry too many of those back just because I'd be nervous about them breaking the whole time. Now I guess we'll just have to see what the HHN snacks are. I've seen the Starcourt Mall Food Court area on the maps, and I'm super excited for that. And I know they'll have the pizza fries, s'mores fries, and twisted taters, but I'm not sure which of those we'll try.

I got this shirt for Disney & I love the tie dye:

A final updated itiernary with the changes bolded
    (minus the first 4 days because we made no changes to those):

Tues-Food & Wine, Oga's Cantina (Epcot, MNSSHP)

This is the day we got the Oga's reservation, and we decided not to try and jam in more food before MNSSHP so we'll probably just eat/get snacks there for dinner.

Wed-Crystal Palace, Three Bridges (MK, HHN)

We decided to have a more low key dinner the night Josh arrives, and I really wanted to do Three Bridges so we moved it here.

Thurs-Boma, La Hacienda (AK, Epcot for Everclear concert/HHN)

No changes here, but I'm still contemplating if we want to keep Boma or do something else. Samantha won't be joining us until we get to AK so we may keep Boma or do somewhere else.

Fri-Mythos, Shula's (USO/HHN)
    I asked Alyssa and Zack to join us at Mythos, and we decided to only do one nice dinner this trip on Fri night.
    I'm leaning more towards Shula's because we love it, and haven't been yet this year even though we were considering trying a new place.

Sat-Red Pizza Oven and/or DS/Dluxe (USO/DS)
    Depending on crowds I was thinking of going to DS for some of the day (and to eat),
    but we'll have to see.

And here's some pictures from the last 2 weeks.

In this one they said there was a shadow figure/ghost under the stairs so maybe that's it :rotfl: or maybe it's my shadow but it wasn't in our other picture below so we decided we did get a picture of a ghost:

Ice cream afterwards:

My brother's grad (party) party:
    (It keeps turning the word "party" into emojis so I improvised).

We went to a burger place & went to see Ready or Not. It was pretty funny, but it wasn't exactly what I expected (I thought it would be a little bit more of a slasher type movie), but Adam Brody was great in it. (I love seeing him in things, and he hasn't been in a lot since The OC). The movie cut out in the middle though and we missed 6 minutes so they gave us vouchers for another movie that we'll probably use to see IT this weekend.

Truffle fries:

Also look what @amalone1013 sent me!

It's so cute! I love it!

I'm sure I'll be back on here once or twice before we go
    but we're at single digits on Wednesday!
    Lovely update! And you have a lovely family!!

Congrats on 6 years together.......burgers look very good! You’ve had a busy few weeks.......haunted tour looks a lot of fun......love things like that.

The HHN tee is the one we’ll get and I did like the Ghostbusters mug and lanyard........haven’t really seen other merchandise yet.

It’s so close Raeven.....I can almost smell the fear!!!!:cool1:

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    Ah your trip is so close! Fingers crossed the weather cooperates for you!

The ghost tour sounds like fun- my sister and I did one in Savannah and it was super creepy.

Happy anniversary and congrats to your brother!

That hercules shirt is so cute 🥰 I'm not 100% sold on any of the HHN merchandise either but I do like that monsters shirt.

I love s'more and I like pizza fries but I'm not convinced s'mores fries are going to taste good lol

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Lovely update! And you have a lovely family!!

Congrats on 6 years together.......burgers look very good! You’ve had a busy few weeks.......haunted tour looks a lot of fun......love things like that.
    Thank you!

The haunted tour was fun, but would’ve been a little spookier if it wasn’t so crowded. I don’t think they limited walk ins to any specific number, and we had over 30 people on the tour.

The HHN tee is the one we’ll get and I did like the Ghostbusters mug and lanyard........haven’t really seen other merchandise yet.
    There’s a lot of merch this year, I think it’s already up on the website, but yeah that’s my favorite shirt they have too.

It’s so close Raeven.....I can almost smell the fear!!!!:cool1:
    Ahh yes! I’m so excited! And I can’t wait to hear about opening weekend, I wish we were going for that too.

Ah your trip is so close! Fingers crossed the weather cooperates for you!
    Yes! :hyper: I really hope it does, it’s the most nerve wracking part of getting closer.

The ghost tour sounds like fun- my sister and I did one in Savannah and it was super creepy.
    It was! But would’ve been creepier if the group wasn’t so big. I’d like to go on another one somewhere even creepier in the future.

Happy anniversary and congrats to your brother!
    Thank you!

That hercules shirt is so cute 🥰 I'm not 100% sold on any of the HHN merchandise either but I do like that monsters shirt.
    Yeah same aside from that shirt, I loved everything last year and some of it wasn’t online before we got there so maybe they’ll be some other stuff this year too. But compared to last year, I’m a little disappointed in the design.

I love s'more and I like pizza fries but I'm not convinced s'mores fries are going to taste good lol
    So I’ve never actually had pizza fries because I don’t like sausage or pepperoni, but I’m really curious because people seem to love them. I don’t like sweet potatoes too much either, but I think I might like the s’mores ones more because of the toppings? But idk.

• Tracy161

DIS Veteran
    We weren't planning to go to Batuu, and I still don't think we'll spend much time in there, but the Cantina was the thing I wanted to check out the most, and that'll guarantee us access to the land for a little bit.
    I think this is so exciting! You are guaranteed to experience some of the new land, but won't have to stick around if the crowds get too much or you determine you'd rather do something else. It's REALLY amazing though, so I'm glad you'll get to see it!

Awesome! I'm 99% sure I did this tour a while back... :thumbsup2

Happy Anniversary!!! :lovestruc

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    I think this is so exciting! You are guaranteed to experience some of the new land, but won't have to stick around if the crowds get too much or you determine you'd rather do something else. It's REALLY amazing though, so I'm glad you'll get to see it!
    Yeah, I’m glad we got one!

Awesome! I'm 99% sure I did this tour a while back... :thumbsup2
    Did you also have the crazy older tour guide who had like 50 years worth of ghost stories to tell? :rotfl:

Happy Anniversary!!! :lovestruc
    Thank you!

KathyM2

DIS Veteran
    For one thing Smash Mouth is now playing one of our F&W nights :rotfl:so maybe we'll try to listen to them too, but we probably won't try to get seats.
    That's awesome!! Even if you don't get seats would be fun to hear them while wandering around!

I've seen the Starcourt Mall Food Court area on the maps, and I'm super excited for that.
    OMG how cool!!! I love all the special eats at both US and Disney...that's the part that makes me especially jealous lol

• Raeven

DIS Veteran
    That's awesome!! Even if you don't get seats would be fun to hear them while wandering around!
    That's what I was thinking!

OMG how cool!!! I love all the special eats at both US and Disney...that's the part that makes me especially jealous lol
    Me too! Although I'm a little disappointed to see that the Starcourt Mall setup doesn't seem to have a Scoops Ahoy in it, I assumed that would be the main component of it.

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    HHN Trip-4 days!

Ahhh we're almost there! Just have to make it through 4 days at work, and then it's time to go!

I'm so excited to see Samantha again, and go to HHN! (And I'm excited for when Alyssa, Zack, and Josh come in later in the week and going to HHN again!) In fact I'm so excited about that, that sometimes I forget we're doing other exciting things on this this trip like Food and Wine, trying so many delicious snacks, staying at some of my favorite hotels (and the Gran Destino for the first time), and seeing Everclear in Epcot!

So far weather-wise everything looks alright too, aside from the regular Orlando rain.

I've made some packing progress. I think I've managed to find a way everything will fit in the suitcase. I really only have to add in a few things that I have to wash, and I ordered some small jars for my liquids bag that should get here by Wednesday. I watched Ghostbusters in preparation the other day, and watched a set of 10 scenes from House of 1000 Corpses on Youtube, that I think covered everything in the house (I watched some HHN walkthroughs). The movie wasn't as gross as I thought, but it still isn't a movie I'm too interested in. I think I may also watch Killer Klowns again before I leave because I love it.

I've been looking at all the HHN stuff because I can't help myself, and I'm even more excited. People seem to really like everything, and what I've seen of the houses they're really cool. (I tried not to watch too much so some things are a surprise and I won't spoil them here. I also I tried not to watch any of the shows).

Here's my list of things I'm most excited for after seeing some videos of things. (I think it'll be interesting to compare after we go how I feel about the houses/scare zones compared to now).

Houses:

1. Killer Klowns From Outerspace
    2. Us
    3. Ghostbusters
    4. Universal Monsters
    5. Yeti: Terror of the Yukon
    6. Graveyard Games
    7. Stranger Things

8. Nightingales: Blood Pit
    9. House of 1000 Corpses
    10. Depths of Fear

Scare zones:

1. Anarch-cade
    2. Hellbilly Deluxe
    3. Vikings Undead
    4. Zombieland
    5. Vanity Ball

I also know I want to get this:

And here's some of my HHN/other outfits.

The MNSSHP shirts we got:

The Hercules shirt I just got:

Some more of my HHN shirts that I don't know if I showed yet:

And I found a fan that folds easily, can be charged, and is pretty powerful, so I won't need to bring that one that goes around my neck :rotfl:

We haven't really made any changes to our plans since last time besides adding in the Acoustic Brunch at The Kitchen onto Sunday instead of breakfast at our resort, and adding Alyssa and Zack to our Mythos reservation on Friday. I'll give you a rundown of our plans though because I think this will be my last planning post before we go.

Fri-Toothsome, Jake's (Staying at RPR through Mon)
    We're going to get there right in time to eat, and go straight to HHN probably.

Sat-Cowfish, Vivo
    We'll be in Universal Studios during the day, and HHN at night. (We'll have EP this night).

Sun-The Kitchen Acoustic Brunch, Bigfire
    We're going to IOA this day, and hopefully getting on Hagrid's. Later on I think we'll try to do the Stranger Things pop up, and see the new show at Hogwarts before we go to HHN.

Mon-Satuli Canteen/Nomad Lounge, Food & Wine (Staying at Gran Destino through Wed)
    (Fps: Na'vi River Journey, Animation Experience, & Safari.
    We'll start off in AK, and then head to Epcot at night. We plan to see Illuminations for the last time this night, and maybe we'll get to see/hear some of Smash Mouth's last set.

Tues-Food & Wine, Oga's Cantina/MNSSHP Snacks
    (FPs: Test Track, Figment, Spaceship Earth).
    We'll be heading to Epcot in the morning for F&W, before stopping by HS for our Oga's reservation. Later that night we have MNSSHP.

Wed-Crystal Palace, Three Bridges (Staying at Sapphire Falls through Sat)
    (FPs: Peter Pan, BTRRM, Splash Mt).
    Josh, Alyssa, and Zack arrive this day. Samantha and I will be at MK in the morning, then once Josh gets there we'll all have dinner before Josh and I head to HHN to meet up with Alyssa and Zack.

Thurs-Boma, La Hacienda
    (FPs: Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur).
    Josh and I are meeting Samantha at AK, and later we're all doing a package for the Everclear concert. After that Josh and I will head to HHN again where we'll meet up with Alyssa and Zack again.

Fri-Mythos, Shula's
    Josh and I will be meeting Alyssa and Zack in the morning for lunch at Mythos. We'll be at IOA and Universal Studios before going to dinner, and then we'll be back at HHN with EP.

Sat-Usually the parks are pretty crowded on a Sat. So I'm thinking maybe of going to DS this day since Josh wants to get some things there, and there's a lot of places we like to eat there. We'll probably eat at DLuxe, and it's possible we'll spend some time in the Universal parks too because our flight is later in the day, and we don't have to leave for the airport till 4:30 pm.

I'm also working on another "week in my life" vlog that involves preparing for this trip. Similar to last time I'm not sure if I'll get enough footage. I had some plans over the weekend that didn't pan out so I'm not sure I'll have that much to put in it. But for right now the goal is to have that up the day before we leave. (Edit: I totally failed at getting footage so I think I’m abandoning this idea :rotfl: ).

Last edited:

lvcourtneyy

DIS Veteran
    Ahh it's almost time! My coworker is also going to Universal in a few days and I'm so jealous cause our trip still seems so far away lol.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the acoustic brunch. I watched a Tim Tracker video on it recently and have been debating booking it!

I like the idea of watching a collection of House of 1000 corpses scenes on youtube because I have no desire to watch the movie.

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
    So excited for you Raeven!!

Love the clothes you have chosen, and some lovely plans in there.....if you don’t post before you leave......will look out for you at RP and the parks.......safe travels and hope you have a wonderful trip...... :wave2:

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    Ahh it's almost time! My coworker is also going to Universal in a few days and I'm so jealous cause our trip still seems so far away lol.
    It’ll be here before you know it!

I can't wait to hear what you think of the acoustic brunch. I watched a Tim Tracker video on it recently and have been debating booking it!
    I saw that one too! I watched that and then forgot all about it lol but someone mentioned it the other day on Twitter, and we decided it would be fun to try. I did the regular breakfast once, but the brunch looks way better and seems like it has more choices.

I like the idea of watching a collection of House of 1000 corpses scenes on youtube because I have no desire to watch the movie.
    It was a channel called Movie Clips and had a series of 10 key scenes. And I agree it was much better than having to watch the whole thing. One thing I didn’t expect, Rainn Wilson is in it :rotfl:

EEEEEEEEEEEEE! So close! Your plans sound amazing! And I'm looking forward to your next vlog :thumbsup2 Love the shirts too, by the way!
    Thank you!

So excited for you Raeven!!

Love the clothes you have chosen, and some lovely plans in there.....if you don’t post before you leave......will look out for you at RP and the parks.......safe travels and hope you have a wonderful trip...... :wave2:
    Thank you! We’ll look out for you too!

PlutosRHM55

Pluto's Prince (Haters back off!)
    It's been a minute since I last commented on this (if at all), but I saw you were gonna be down here soon so I thought I'd see the plans and literally my big HHN week is next week so I'll probably be running into you. I went last night and I just gotta say after seeing your hype list you are going to LOVE Killer Klowns. I've not seen the movie yet but omg my favorite house (of the three I've done so far (memo to anyone: don't have caffeine before horror nights)). Also, I hope Vanity Ball disappoints you as the best scare zone because so far... it is. All the others just miss the mark in my opinion, but still a really good year from my standpoint. Hope I'll run into you there since we've had awful luck at the Disney parks lol

Raeven

DIS Veteran
    It's been a minute since I last commented on this (if at all), but I saw you were gonna be down here soon so I thought I'd see the plans and literally my big HHN week is next week so I'll probably be running into you. I went last night and I just gotta say after seeing your hype list you are going to LOVE Killer Klowns. I've not seen the movie yet but omg my favorite house (of the three I've done so far (memo to anyone: don't have caffeine before horror nights)). Also, I hope Vanity Ball disappoints you as the best scare zone because so far... it is. All the others just miss the mark in my opinion, but still a really good year from my standpoint. Hope I'll run into you there since we've had awful luck at the Disney parks lol
    Hey! Yeah I hope we run into you there! I’ll be there Fri-Sun this week, and Wed-Fri the following week if all goes according to plan. I’m sooo excited for Killer Klowns! You have to watch it, it’s an amazing movie :rotfl:

Honestly, it’s really hard to tell if the scare zones are good or not from what I’ve seen because I’ve been trying not to look at too much. When I first saw them announced I thought Vanity Ball sounded like one of the best ones, but I haven’t seen too many pictures of it yet compared to the others so I think going into the event that could change. From what I’ve seen though most of them aren’t exactly what I thought. (For instance Anarch-cade looks amazing at night but the pictures I saw during the day were just eh).

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

UNIVERSAL PODCASTS

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO VIDEOS

UNIVERSAL ATTRACTIONS