A (2019) HalloXmas trip to Asia - Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo! - COMPLETED 5/1!!!

Day 13 – More Temples
November 1, 2019

Part 1 – Golden Pavilion

On tap today was a few more temples on the other side of Kyoto. I had initially hoped to hop on the train and see Nara in the afternoon (where deer hang out in the park), but that would have required waking up earlier than I wanted. I know some people can be up and moving every day of vacation, but I needed a bit more rest!

X6GkqZB.jpg

On my way through the train station I stopped at a bakery and got some rolls for breakfast which were pretty good!

vS6CpRa.jpg

On the bus, just in case anyone was interested in what it looked like (i.e., a normal bus…)

MCYnsJ9.jpg

My first destination was the most famous of the Kyoto temples, the Golden Pavilion.

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/golden-pavilion-temple-kyoto-japan-tips/
It was crowded (lots of Chinese tour groups with selfie sticks), but not unmanageable and with some maneuvering I was able to get “empty” photos.

gChichN.jpg

You can see where the name comes from!

q6D2qOi.jpg
jeEnxU3.jpg
lfwtSWb.jpg
8EKNJ8d.jpg

I love still lake/ponds!

XxYGl3A.jpg
X7BsghP.jpg

More photos

rpuB1CN.jpg
boX4Moc.jpg
Igu2zhG.jpg

They had these fortune machines, where you get a fortune. If you get a good one you are supposed to keep it. But a bad one you are supposed to burn it and then go back to get another one!

qJBBvUB.jpg
qP4TxJ9.jpg
gz8ESPW.jpg
LHDvigo.jpg

I also grabbed an ice cream from the machine.

fzQF5Jy.jpg
8CBChJd.jpg
zEqgWcb.jpg
VzAkgJB.jpg

And some souvenirs, including stamps (for postcards), and an ornament/keychain (which I’ll have to find one of my photos later).

gChvIPx.jpg

Overall, the Golden Pavilion is the most famous temple in Kyoto, so definitely a must-see. But it doesn’t have the extensive gorgeous gardens other temples have.

Up next was Ryoanji Temple. This was just a short walk from the Golden Pavilion and wasn’t as frequented, but I really liked it!

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/ryoanji-temple-info-tips-review/
FaokTML.jpg

This one had really lovely grounds!

sctx8j0.jpg
6jW6ivI.jpg
r4InBrR.jpg
GUB2IVv.jpg
TdrJV7j.jpg
vT7eJuD.jpg
YkWX6sp.jpg
PR7ka4L.jpg
VKXEYSU.jpg
KfEXu4g.jpg
hhapoCg.jpg
CzjN9ai.jpg
rf0huk6.jpg

Some rock and moss gardens for the temple itself.

VHOZWNZ.jpg
HSps54O.jpg
IHmwb3y.jpg
a2Ouxhr.jpg
PGTQg4d.jpg
6lX6Yrk.jpg

Also this one allowed photos inside and had some lovely painted walls

ijAoGov.jpg
ZQICPoQ.jpg
laOE4Dl.jpg
MohywKk.jpg

I think last year or so a heavy cyclone-type storm hit Kyoto, so I assume these were replanted to make up for lost trees?

Udof7Sf.jpg

Coming up - one last temple and end of the stay in Kyoto

All of your pictures are so beautiful, as always, but that one with the Golden temple reflected on the still water--breathtaking!!

I love that you can burn a bad fortune, and just keep going back til you get a good one :) Your ice cream looked super tasty!!!

If you get a good one you are supposed to keep it. But a bad one you are supposed to burn it and then go back to get another one!

Love this idea!! So did you keep you fortune? How are you feeling about it now that you know how 2020 turned out lol? That ice cream looked so good!!

All of your pictures are so beautiful, as always, but that one with the Golden temple reflected on the still water--breathtaking!!

I love that you can burn a bad fortune, and just keep going back til you get a good one :) Your ice cream looked super tasty!!!
Ah, thanks! I did like the way that one turned out, and I was pretty fortunate with the weather!

I thought the fortune thing was hilarious!
Really enjoying your Kyoto temple pics and reporting, makes me want to go. Your fortune was pretty funny.
Yeah, it is definitely an interesting place. Very ancient feeling!
Love this idea!! So did you keep you fortune? How are you feeling about it now that you know how 2020 turned out lol? That ice cream looked so good!!
Haha, hmm, I don't know! It almost felt like advice more than a fortune! Work hard, don't drink too much, don't have an affair... I'd say yes to the last two, not so sure about the first one, lol!

Part 2 – Ninnaji Temple

For my final temple in Kyoto, I visited Ninnaji Temple.

https://www.travelcaffeine.com/ninnaji-temple-info-tips-review/
I heard this one has a great Pagoda which the one in Epcot may have been based on? This was a lot of walking around the site to start, which had lots of old buildings.

Vl32Ism.jpg
rq7GGcC.jpg
aO3BvxP.jpg
JIqec1b.jpg
L6ice9C.jpg
yoaca9v.jpg
G1OC1jn.jpg

The pagoda

8abJf37.jpg
G96ccBq.jpg

In the springtime these all are full of cherry blossoms! And in a few weeks they would be such bright colors!

FPEC0GW.jpg
EMaTDPy.jpg

I did happen to see a procession of monks walking by. I stood respectfully (and when I did take a photo only did it from the back so didn’t show faces)

5E9A52Z.jpg

I stopped in one of the main buildings to walk around. I had hoped to find a peaceful spot and sit for a while, but unfortunately it wasn’t as peaceful as I would have liked as they were doing lots of renovation and construction noises!

MwMzRsA.jpg
nvquUYK.jpg
FcWbOLD.jpg
uc47D7V.jpg

Some of the interiors

70F2liP.jpg
1d5n51c.jpg
t5sDBEo.jpg
PIWV3yF.jpg
MGdpAls.jpg
7rJclgc.jpg

More of the gardens

UJP4CGW.jpg
NztGvby.jpg
JnPBOVE.jpg
PPrOeZO.jpg
TDL54mL.jpg
oupN8w3.jpg
ZipVrOp.jpg

At this point I was trying to decide what to do. I had wanted to visit Nara, and technically I could have made it work, but it would have meant rushing around and had already been so busy! So I decided to instead head back to the hotel for a bit of a rest.

I must have stopped at a bakery and grabbed some pastries. I think the top one was a normal roll, then some sweeter Danish (maybe pineapple?) and a cheese bun. It was all very good!

EU4hcd7.jpg

I did make a brief stop at a mall/arcade. Before heading to Japan I somehow got interested in these youtube channels that visit Japanese arcades, so I wanted to give them a try! I ended up doing this gem push game (you use the claw to grab gems or items on the bottom tray, which is rotating. Drop them onto your tray which has a ledge that moves back and forth. And hope to knock things off your tray into the bucket, including the weights which control the “big” prizes for the game. I ended up getting a couple small items and the watch! Nothing crazy but it was fun!

mhId88O.jpg
6Zguxyt.jpg
mSeMDa7.jpg

After taking a break in the hotel I decided it was time for dinner, and might as well check out “Ramen Street”, which is within the Kyoto train station. I was confused about where it was but finally realized it was on the 10th floor. So, where is the elevator? Um…instead you take escalators up… all the way up…

DH5a09y.jpg
kmzzwIp.jpg
ae5xHTv.jpg
1OhWKSN.jpg
ShQp91N.jpg

It was sooo dizzying! Just worried one slip on the stairs or anything and you could fall down all the way (which I know wasn’t the case, but it felt that way, lol!)

Anyways, there are about a dozen ramen places along that little corridor. Some have super long lines and some didn’t have lines at all. I ended up picking one at random which didn’t have a line (probably mistake as the ones with lines would have been more popular and in theory, better). It wasn’t bad by any means, just not as amazing as others I’ve had!

muu4DbB.jpg
URx9bZh.jpg
j2Fqnpy.jpg

I didn’t want anything to do with the escalators back down, so was able to find the elevators (they are sort of hidden in the back) to get back downstairs!

Anyways, back to the hotel, pack up and get ready to head out in the morning!

Step count: 16,203

Some thoughts on Kyoto:

-It was a lovely town with lots of history. I think definitely worth a visit, though I’m not super desperate to get back there (there are so many other places in Japan and worldwide I’d like to visit).

-temples are cool to see. Though they do start to blur together eventually!

Coming up: Back to Tokyo!

Love your prizes! :) I would have been most excited by all those little gem hearts, I think. I think I'd agree with you on the temples. I loved reading your updates about the temples you visited, and especially enjoyed the pictures, but the details do start to blur together.

Wow, you walked a lot that day! I think I would have been dizzy with those escalators too, but how cool that there are all those ramen places up there!! I love ramen but rarely eat it because my kids aren't fans.

Had a close friend do a trip to Italy one year. He visited so many churches and had the same thought.
Yeah, each does have their unique features, but they do blur together, especially a year+ later!
I am amazed at how much this looks like EPCOT... Or rather how well, EPCOT looks like this picture! I know I should be suprised by how authentic they built everything in EPCOT. But it is impressive seeing the real thing!
Haha, definitely agree! And other areas of Epcot look similar to places I've visited - like the benches in France look like the same ones in Paris. They definitely did their research on the countries before constructing them.
Love your prizes! :) I would have been most excited by all those little gem hearts, I think. I think I'd agree with you on the temples. I loved reading your updates about the temples you visited, and especially enjoyed the pictures, but the details do start to blur together.
I'll have to save some of those gems for you, lol! I still have a big bag of them.

For temples, you definitely start to understand the guides which say Kyoto has 100s of temples, but here are the "must-see". Like the Silver and Gold Pavilions, each have something memorable and unique.
Wow, you walked a lot that day! I think I would have been dizzy with those escalators too, but how cool that there are all those ramen places up there!! I love ramen but rarely eat it because my kids aren't fans.
Yeah, my feet were exhausted during this trip! At least Disney trips gave me training (though now that I imagine trying to walk around the parks after this year of mostly being at home, makes me shudder, lol!)

You have to get the kids into ramen! So yummy! I was craving it right before lockdown but didn't go, and now I haven't been able to get any since my family isn't really comfortable with in-person dining, and it isn't really set up well for take away!

Day 14
Saturday, November 2, 2019

Part 1 – Shibuya, including the Disney Store

Today I was headed back to Tokyo. After checking out of the hotel, I stopped at a bakery in the Kyoto train station and got some pastries for the train ride. (I don’t think I got this first one which looks like a cheesy corn bun!

hZ7IPxr.jpg
xwxsGbB.jpg

And I successfully navigated to the other side of Kyoto Station in rush hour, which was slightly terrifying as I had a rolling suitcase and was trying to keep up with the fast walking flow of the commuters!

029hDpH.jpg

But anyways, made my way to the bullet train tickets, where I proceeded to make an error and accidentally got tickets from Tokyo – Kyoto instead of Kyoto – Tokyo! It also was busier this time and, while I still went with the Green Car, wasn’t able to get a seat on the Mt Fuji side of the train. Still a comfy ride, with some yummy pastries and a coke (don’t judge). They have these cute aluminum coke bottles themed to each city, so I ended up getting one for Kyoto and one for Tokyo.

WPuXQ0l.jpg
nTHRFTE.jpg
gqyBGjB.jpg

After checking various tips online I ended up deciding on getting a hotel in Shibuya, as it seemed like it would be close to a major train line I could use and plenty of dining options. I ended up staying at the Shibuya Tokyu Rei Hotel (I think I found on Hotels.com or priceline and got a good deal), which was literally steps from an entrance to the train station. Since it was still early, I dropped off my suitcase and headed out for the day.

xtFl5Dz.jpg

A map for the day. Bottom blue circle was train station I arrived back into Tokyo; left blue circle was Shibuya station, where I stayed. The blue dashed line was the main “tourist” loop, which was what I relied on most.

qgUw6Dv.jpg

My first introduction to the Shibuya Scramble, which is a pretty familiar crosswalk area from so many photos/videos of Tokyo!

8ZWff6g.jpg

First stop was lunch (despite having pastries, I was hungry). I had been wanting to try a Japanese conveyer belt sushi restaurant, so stopped at Genki Sushi in Shibuya. It was a busy place, but luckily not a long wait. And full of tourists… probably not authentic Japanese, but I was ok with the kitchy tourist stuff today!

Uod6DUS.jpg
YJUFvoI.jpg

The plates are divided by price.

cathn3K.jpg
ewO6TFp.jpg

I had hoped to see some plates just gliding around the restaurant and grabbing what I wanted, but it seems this one was entirely ordered and delivered direct to you. I was also at the end of a “line” so didn’t get to see plates zooming by that often, but it was still pretty cool!

UKjvOQO.jpg
fIZ5olJ.jpg

While I’m used to fancy rolls in the US with lots of different ingredients, turns out in Japan it’s much more pure with a simple fish and rice. Looks like I ended up getting shrimp tempura, cucumber, and salmon (maybe more, but that is all I can see in photos)

ZtAZ4rU.jpg
agKoqgh.jpg

Next stop – the Disney Store in Shibuya (of course I would go there)!

FV24t5b.jpg

Lovely decorations inside! The store itself wasn’t super huge, but it was over 4 floors, so small footprint but steep stairs!

daRQBeG.jpg
zNPqxv9.jpg
RvuWsEC.jpg
XbFpIVx.jpg
jmpceke.jpg
altwEHr.jpg
oqpyRr2.jpg
22J0fzv.jpg
N4EfOgB.jpg

I think these sometimes have magic pixie dust lighting, but I don’t remember seeing any when I was there.

t4tR8Xz.jpg
MRMlPdY.jpg
5msNJKl.jpg
VIl36xr.jpg

Miscellaneous merchandise – looks like Queen of Hearts and Ursula perfume, figurines, cards, washi tape, of course keychains

Kr2REYk.jpg
IwXg45W.jpg
n5rgxZb.jpg
eTSXuQw.jpg
5nerHgo.jpg
kBcbIE5.jpg

The Christmas merchandise came out the day before!

patZoSl.jpg
rplIHNB.jpg
VDVcYeF.jpg

Nuimos. These actually arrived in the US on Jan 19th!

PbJxCAp.jpg

I know I grabbed some items, but I don’t remember what exactly! (probably some of the Christmas stuff). Also, in Japan, there are some stores which do tax-free for foreigners. There are purchase limits and you have to show your passport, but the Disney Store in Shibuya was one of them.

Coming up - Harajuku with the rest of the tourists!

Part 2 – Harajuku and Hedgehog Café

Tokyo (and Japan in general) is known for its animal cafes, so I knew I needed to try one! I ended up walking up and going to the Hedgehog Café. It was pretty cute, with various time limits and drink options. I think I got 30 minutes as well as a snack for the hedgehogs.

KzgQfaB.jpg

You end up being assigned a “station”. Some are stools surrounding a low table, where the hedgehog enclosure is sunken into. I was along the bar, which meant a higher stool and enclosure along that. You have to wear gloves whenever you handle them.

My first hedgehogs were not in a good mood even though I fed them a bunch of mealworms. (Though to be fair, if my life was being bugged by tourists, I’d probably not be in a good mood either!) I think one actually tried to bite me through the gloves! (And I also got pooped on... but they gave me new gloves after that, lol!)

x7RV62v.jpg
xTHjGaB.jpg
AzedJVp.jpg

The workers ended up coming over and giving me another little guy, who was much friendlier (and pretty much slept the whole time). I did confirm he was just sleepy!

xF6pNSE.jpg
v0ZTWxi.jpg

I think I also played with this guy, who was a different species of hedgehog

mSrluFB.jpg

I thought the drinks would be all coffee or tea (which I’m not a fan of), but turns out they had some machines at the back which gave a bunch of options, including soda. Look at the cute holders for your drinks!

jq5rM6M.jpg
PJdq3ZS.jpg

They have a larger enclosure in the middle of the café and rotate the hedgehogs through there to give them breaks

41K41eV.jpg

I think the guy on the bottom was getting a nice massage!

q5fguVR.jpg
QQVOmkP.jpg

Overall, this was a fun experience. I know they have lots of cat and dog cafes. Even an owl café. And I think some other animals.

Now, as to the ethics of this, because yes, I was very iffy on whether I should visit this. I did do a bunch of research on this and Harry’s had positive reviews. There were signs everywhere about how to handle the hedgehogs and plenty of workers patrolling to make sure none of them were in distress. These species of hedgehogs were also bred to be domesticated, not wild-caught. With the exception of the couple hedgehogs who were in a bad mood, the hedgehogs didn’t seem to be stressed. However, hedgehogs are nocturnal, so probably don’t love the sun coming in the windows. And in general, they would probably prefer to be left alone. So, I guess it’s one of those things you have to decide for yourself. (from my research the owl cafes are very harmful to the animals mental health, so I don't recommend those).

Ok, on with the day. I wandered down Takeshita Street, which was just full of people! And lots of shops, but most were kitchy tourist traps, so I don’t think I got anything from there. It was weird seeing some of the stuff there though! (But overall I was not a fan of that street and really just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. In the past it was the "center" of Harajuku, but has become overwhelmed with cheap stores, with people trying to promote their various maid cafes or stores.)

yt8G2Kq.jpg
ZHZGzDl.jpg

Lots of pretty treat options though! (Harajuku is big into pretty crepes stuffed with sweet/savory fillings

VbH47HM.jpg
Rk5s8s2.jpg

For my food I stopped at the Kawaii Monster Café. This was really fun, but unfortunately closed permanently at the end of January. Just not enough tourism to sustain it.

0KdUjbK.jpg
D17Rsd2.jpg

This was such a goofy place! With the craziest décor!

Lajcx88.jpg

A cake carousel in the center of the café (it wasn't available for patrons to ride, but did get used in the show)

K5Xiodq.jpg
JnHTCAq.jpg
JmvyX4G.jpg

Baby bottle room

plWcoaO.jpg
iMMfqbm.jpg
ARmSgIl.jpg
xqx1Yil.jpg
UdmtMgP.jpg

Enchanted forest

rTtGf0P.jpg
lkA0dWU.jpg
WCAyRKB.jpg
zUKw0nZ.jpg
PUOTY7b.jpg

Butterflies

llueqmU.jpg
oMemO31.jpg

Ice cream on the ceiling, complete with ants!

5GqXx2U.jpg
NUCBVBi.jpg
T8T25ns.jpg
y4ZQ27l.jpg
DiDMlz6.jpg

Even the bathroom is kooky!

ZI0uQp8.jpg
041zr5j.jpg

There wasn’t a cover charge but I did need to order a dish and a drink. Some options I considered

XQ7C2x3.jpg
x7B71vQ.jpg
MB95DCs.jpg
6AhTo1F.jpg
w9T1TrN.jpg
ursDbVE.jpg
nl3Qo4Y.jpg
LCVN2ur.jpg

I wasn’t feeling like savory, so I went with the Pink Cat Food, which was vanilla soft serve, covered with some crunchy cereal pieces, cotton candy, and sprinkles. And the Shake Hip Shake “Berry & Berry”, which I think was strawberry milk shake. Both were very good and just weird to eat!

CxjkygC.jpg
IipfotX.jpg

I also caught the lunchtime show. In the busier evenings there are usually 5 “monsters”, but I ended up seeing only 2. Just a goofy dance and stuff to amuse the tourists!

FwItNEf.jpg
nl1Djhj.jpg
JGlZD9E.jpg
f6VIeES.jpg

Overall, a fun place. (Also Oh My Café is in the neighborhood which often does super cute themes, including Disney ones, which you should check out.)

One thing I wish I had gotten was this headband with the mascot for the café! It was just so weird, it would totally fit my personality!

lpUaEIR.jpg

Coming up - Kiddy Land and Christmas Decorations

My first hedgehogs were not in a good mood even though I fed them a bunch of mealworms. (Though to be fair, if my life was being bugged by tourists, I’d probably not be in a good mood either!)
Ha! Right?

Overall, this was a fun experience. I know they have lots of cat and dog cafes. Even an owl café. And I think some other animals.
I am not sure how I feel about animal cafes on so many levels.. I am not a big dog or cat fan, so no matter what those don't appeal to me. And why would you want to hang out with an owl anyway? I guess I am just not the target audience...

All of the Kawaii stuff would make Gwen's head explode!

I'll have to save some of those gems for you, lol! I still have a big bag of them.
Oooh, yes please!! :)

Still a comfy ride, with some yummy pastries and a coke (don’t judge).
I never would!! Sometimes you just need a good Coke!

I know I quoted something about the Monster place, but it won't post...I think it was the bathroom counter picture I wanted to comment on. I totally love that!! Wish I could have a fun bathroom like that for my Kindergarteners!

Looks like a pretty fun place, and all the treats look like Jimmy would enjoy!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter