7 Attractions, 2 Shows; Temp close at DL

momrek06

DIS Veteran
7 attractions, 2 shows temporarily close at Disneyland

Seven Disney attractions, as well as shows and restaurants, are temporarily closing for at least part of January mostly for maintenance projects.

Disneyland Resort traditionally schedules most of their major rehabilitation projects starting in January when traffic slows down after the bustling holiday season.

Many of the closures begin Monday (Jan 9th) (today), following the conclusion of the holiday season Sunday.

The biggest project is set to begin Monday on the Matterhorn Bobsleds, a 52-year-old roller coaster inside a man-made mountain that is visible outside Disneyland. The updated ride is scheduled to reopen in summer.

Crews plan to paint the white exterior of the mountain and do rockwork repair, said Betsy Sanchez, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

Workers also are set to replace the vehicles, which had tandem seating. The new vehicles will have three seats in each car and two cars will be linked together, Sanchez said.

Other Disneyland attractions set to close temporarily are: Haunted Mansion, “it’s a small world,” Sailing Ship Columbia and Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm.

Disney California Adventure attractions scheduled to shut down temporarily are: Golden Zephyr and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

Two Disney shows are set to go on hiatus:
Fantasmic! in Disneyland will go on a break starting Monday through March 2.
World of Color, which has been shown nightly since it debuted in June 2010, will stop running two times: Jan. 17 to 19 and Jan. 23 to 26. The show, which has an elaborate set of lights and fountains, is set for routine maintenance.

Last week, Disneyland began construction on restaurants on the west side of Main Street, U.S.A. The buildings of Candy Palace, Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor, Refreshment Corner and Carnation Cafe are undergoing projects. Blue Ribbon Bakery was shut down and the area will be used for indoor seating for an expanded Carnation Cafe. The restaurants are set to reopen later this spring

Please read the entire article here:
http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2012/01/09/7-attractions-2-shows-temporarily-close-at-disney/106801/

Welcome to the only true remaining off-season.

Repair, replace, restore.

- Jennifer

We were supposed to go in Dec and had to cancel and so I decided to reschedule for MLK weekend because my kids get 2 days off making a 4 day weekend. But now I am kind of sad because it seems a LOT will be down. I know offseasn means SOME stuff will be down but that seems like a LOT for one period of time esp since a lot is torn up across the street. Oh well I am still super glad to be going at all and my girls and I will be glad to just BE there but I hope that that doesn't mean that if that weekend is crowded it will be even worse with less places to go :(

Hopefully the Matterhorn will be on schedule. We are going to be visiting disneyland for our first time 06/09-06/16. This way we will get to ride it when it re-opens. Keeping my fingers crossed.

•01/09/12 - 06/14/12 - Matterhorn Bobsleds

Hopefully your visit will be wonderful, just a hazzard in going on off times.

Jack

Many of the closed attractions are pretty minor. (Though I really enjoy the Golden Zephyr! Though ironically a small breeze will shut it down. LOL)

Also it doesn't mean they are all down at the same time, the entire month. HM and IASW aren't down at the same time for example.

I actually think it could be a lot worse. We LOVE our January trips and expect to have some refurbishments.

The weekend of MLK, for example, only has Matterhorn, HM, the petting farm, and the Columbia in refurb. Redcreek Trial is the only thing over at DCA that is closed. Not bad in my opinion.

We're going next week and expected the refurbs... It's not that bad actually. Accdg to our calendar, we will only be missing Sailing Ship, HM, Petting Farm, Matterhorn - and we're getting BTPF back our last 2 days.

The thing that disappointed me was the cancellation of WoC on weekdays.

Well I know for us the last 3 trips we took the matterhorn was down EVEN last June. It was open the day we got there but we didn't have time to get in the parks and then closed the rest of the week. One expects rehabs this time of year but in JUNE?? So we haven't ridden on it in prob 2 years :( My girls also really love HM but I knew that one would be down because of xmas. I was actually referring to practically the entire row of stuff on Main Street. We LOVE carnation cafe and usually always get at least 1 ice cream at Gibson girl plus when it is crowded we always cut through those stores but so be it I guess.

I AM excited to see the new bakery!! And honestly this has been an EXTREMELY tough year. Our last trip in June was as a family one and then my husband and I split in Aug so that is why our Dec trip was cancelled. I didn't even think I could afford a trip with just my girls and I so we are so thankful that we are even able to go!!

I know in a way we will be sad to be going without my ex cuz despite our troubles in real life that was one place where we went and REALLY had fun as a family. But I think this is just what the girls and I need to lift our spirits. We will be glad for anything that we can do and just to look at stuff and just soak up the atmosphere!!

Well I know for us the last 3 trips we took the matterhorn was down EVEN last June. It was open the day we got there but we didn't have time to get in the parks and then closed the rest of the week. One expects rehabs this time of year but in JUNE?? So we haven't ridden on it in prob 2 years :( My girls also really love HM but I knew that one would be down because of xmas. I was actually referring to practically the entire row of stuff on Main Street. We LOVE carnation cafe and usually always get at least 1 ice cream at Gibson girl plus when it is crowded we always cut through those stores but so be it I guess.

I AM excited to see the new bakery!! And honestly this has been an EXTREMELY tough year. Our last trip in June was as a family one and then my husband and I split in Aug so that is why our Dec trip was cancelled. I didn't even think I could afford a trip with just my girls and I so we are so thankful that we are even able to go!!

I know in a way we will be sad to be going without my ex cuz despite our troubles in real life that was one place where we went and REALLY had fun as a family. But I think this is just what the girls and I need to lift our spirits. We will be glad for anything that we can do and just to look at stuff and just soak up the atmosphere!!

Exactly! :hug: :hug:

I hope you and the girls have a FAB time!!!

And Aladdin is still not on the Disney calendar after February 4.

I spoke to a CM in reservations last night as I needed to tweak a date, and he said that there is nothing in their system to show that the show shouldn't be running after that date, and I haven't seen anything on disboards or elsewhere suggesting that it shouldn't be running after that date.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

this is the fourth January in a row we've gone during MLK week (the weds/thurs/fri following the actual holiday), and usually we somehow end up dodging a lot of closures. Not to mention we've NEVER been rained on. Not once....even during the crazy rain storms of 2010! And the weather looks pretty decent this time.

The only one I am sad about is the challenge trail, mostly because it provides a brief respite for my husband and I. We'll miss Matterhorn, but we've been on it many many time, so we'll be okay. last year we missed splash and star tours, and this time they are open.:thumbsup2

I think the only thing I am REALLY bummed about is main street. it sounds like it will be a mess. on the positive side, I suppose I won't spend as much money there. where else in the park can we get dipped ice cream cones though?

Thanks so much Karen. I am sure just being in our "happy place" will be awesome no matter what! I am getting to the age where I enjoy just sitting on a bench people watching and listening to the music. I just love BEING there. It truly makes you forget, even if for a shore while, your troubles!! ;)

Twinslovedisney can ask if it gets super packed on MLK weekend? I have been on Vets weekend and it got to capacity. Just wondering how much of the locals etc usually come out on a weekend like this and if we should expect big crowds. Luckily for us the airfares were double to fly in on Fri so we are coming in Thurs night. So I am hoping MAYBE Fri won't be as bad but not sure since no AP's are blocked and I am figuring on Sat thru Mon to be busy. We have to leave Tues night but we get to stay for part of the day at least. Again not sure what to expect. I just hope that if we do our normal routine of getting there EARLY and stocking up on FP's that that will be good enough. We may actually leave in the afternoon though and come back in the evening. Have to play it by ear but haven't done that in several years. We usually just stay and leave early. But am thinking about fireworks and is fantasmic down already? I know it is going down but wasn't sure if it is already down because of columbia?

Thanks so much Karen. I am sure just being in our "happy place" will be awesome no matter what! I am getting to the age where I enjoy just sitting on a bench people watching and listening to the music. I just love BEING there. It truly makes you forget, even if for a shore while, your troubles!! ;)

Twinslovedisney can ask if it gets super packed on MLK weekend? I have been on Vets weekend and it got to capacity. Just wondering how much of the locals etc usually come out on a weekend like this and if we should expect big crowds. Luckily for us the airfares were double to fly in on Fri so we are coming in Thurs night. So I am hoping MAYBE Fri won't be as bad but not sure since no AP's are blocked and I am figuring on Sat thru Mon to be busy. We have to leave Tues night but we get to stay for part of the day at least. Again not sure what to expect. I just hope that if we do our normal routine of getting there EARLY and stocking up on FP's that that will be good enough. We may actually leave in the afternoon though and come back in the evening. Have to play it by ear but haven't done that in several years. We usually just stay and leave early. But am thinking about fireworks and is fantasmic down already? I know it is going down but wasn't sure if it is already down because of columbia?

Well, we go during that time of year because of low crowds. Friday evening gets pretty crowded tho. I have nothing to compare it to tho, because I have only been during this time in January. I can;t ever remember waiting more than 30 mins for a ride tho, to be honest (except on fri nite). Never, ever have they closed the parks when I have been there.

thanks for the info!! :) Maybe since the locals can go whenever they want since there IS so much that is down they might not go on this weekend. Who knows. I know if I lived there I would not go with so much down just wait till it was back up but then other logic probably says if they want to go they can go then and always go back later. Who knows LOL. Guess we will have to wait and see! ;)

thanks for the info!! :) Maybe since the locals can go whenever they want since there IS so much that is down they might not go on this weekend. Who knows. I know if I lived there I would not go with so much down just wait till it was back up but then other logic probably says if they want to go they can go then and always go back later. Who knows LOL. Guess we will have to wait and see! ;)

yeah who knows. I live near seattle, so even if it is crowded I just sit down and enjoy the sunny atmosphere, and that is a treat. i find it hard to be bothered about much when I am in disneyland. but seriously it isn't that crowded. The stories I hear during xmas or summer cause me to shudder:scared1:

Oh I totally agree with you!!! I love just sitting there taking in all that is the MAGIC of Disneyland!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter