7/14 Magic - trip report

Varkgirl -

I really enjoyed your trip report! Thanks for posting it. The one thing I noticed that seemed different about your trip report than many others is that you and Jason seemed to spend a lot of time by yourselves. Maybe this is becuase it was just the 2 of you cruising when most other people have kids, etc.? We sail 9/1 and it will be just the 2 of us too. I hope our experience will be similiar to yours...lots of fun, no pressure, and relaxing too. Any tips for us? Where can I find out about that tram ride on St. Thomas? This is the first I have heard about it. Is it like riding a mountain gondola?

And how can you confuse a platypus and and aardvark?!? :smooth:

Thanks!
Disneyg1rl

Yes we did spend a lot of time by ourselves... that was sort of our plan though!

For one thing, we are both 25, and there were not all that many couples our age travelling onboard. This wasn't a problem, just an observation we made. One couple we sat with was right around our age... it was funny how we would constantly bump into each other. I guess we had the same ideas on how we wanted to spend our week. We would joke about how there were 2700 people on board, yet we still ended up seeing them multiple times every day!

Anyway, we had originally been excited about attending some of the classes and programs offered onboard, but ended up just relaxing and doing pretty much NOTHING all week.

The tramway to paradise point was great, and easy to find when you get off the boat. You can see it going up the mountain, so we just walked towards where it appeared to end. Its a very short walk. It was 12 dollars apiece for the tram ride there and back. There were shops, etc at the top but we didn't go to them. We did walk the nature trail.

Also, as far as relaxing and spending time just the two of us, I can't say enough about the Rainforest package at the spa. We got it for one day (Thursday), but wished we had it for the whole week. We went in three times, and two of those times we were the only ones in there. I'm not saying it was private, but it was quiet, peaceful, and relaxing.

Also, I forgot to mention... my boyfriend is a Magic Kingdom cast member. DCL actually sat us with two other couples who were also cast members - I was the only non-cast member at the table! We were treated just as well as regular guests by every crew member we met. The service was just fabulous. This was my first cruise, and I will never forget it!

So I am wondering what time were people allowed to get off the ship when you got back to Port Canaveral?

Great trip report. We will be doing alot of things on our own without Disney supervision.

Varkgirl,

Great report! Did you ever find out what the medical emergency was on your cruise?

I was on the Magic for the 7/7 cruise....it was magical ;)

We got off around 11 in Port Canaveral. That was at least an hour after they started letting people off - they let people off based on when their flights were leaving.

varkgirl, loved your trip report! It sounds like you did the Shipwreck Cove excursion in St. Maarten - is that right? If so, would you recommend it?

Shipwreck cove was good, but its a large group and it was hard to do anything without bumping into people. We enjoyed the Buck Island Sail and Snorkel in St. Thomas more because it was a small group. Also the water was clearer and there was more variety of fish. The guide was better in St. Maarten, he dove down and rustled up various interesting things for us to look at. In St. Thomas the guide was sort of paranoid about anyone surface diving. We loved both excursions. I would recommend either one. :D

varkgirl, thanks for the input on Shipwreck Cove and the suggestion for St. Thomas. We sail on Saturday, so I need to decide soon!

Great Trip Report!!!! Thank you for all the details and the pictures. I just love those visuals!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I was happy to read your comments on the Buck Island snorkeling excursion. Along with my husband and father-in-law I snorkeled there about seven years ago and ithe trail was fantastic! Surprisingly, no flotation vests were available for weak swimmers. (The operator was out of St. Croix-we were not on a cruise.) I would love to go again and take my children on our November cruise, but flotation devices would be a requirement. Do you recall how the 10yo child who was with you was outfiitted? Thanks for any input. I loved your report.
Yvonne

we all had snorkel vests, the kind you can inflate or deflate by blowing on them. The girl who was with us ended up just swimming around with the vest, no mask or snorkel, because the mask didnt fit her right. Her mother commented that "next time" they would have to buy her a mask that fit properly before they got there. She was very scared of the salt water and apparently her mask leaked a tiny bit.

You are both adorable! Thanks for the well organized trip report. I saw you are a teacher and want to say thanks for your dedication to children. Good luck to you and Jason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter