6 Suffer Minor Injuries On Animal Kingdom Ride

Wow, that's quite a different picture than what's currently on DIS News:

According to unconfirmed reports, a piece of equipment being used by workers on a bridge over the ride collapsed, and struck a raft full of guests. According to one eyewitness, the water at Kali River Rapids was "red with blood". Several ambulances and emergency personnel were on the scene. There are no reports of fatalities, but some on the ride were severely injured.​

Wow, that's quite a different picture than what's currently on DIS News:

According to unconfirmed reports, a piece of equipment being used by workers on a bridge over the ride collapsed, and struck a raft full of guests. According to one eyewitness, the water at Kali River Rapids was "red with blood". Several ambulances and emergency personnel were on the scene. There are no reports of fatalities, but some on the ride were severely injured.​

It doesn't say that any more...and such a quote smacks of sensationalism, which is probably why it was removed.

:sad2:

Hope they're all well!
No one should get hurt at one of the

"Magical Places on Earth"

It doesn't say that any more...and such a quote smacks of sensationalism, which is probably why it was removed.

I'm glad to see they removed the quote. It definitely smacks of sensationalism, especially given that it was only one eyewitness report.

So were they hurt from the ride itself or from the evacuation of the ride after it stopped?

I tell you right now that while I sypathize with all injured, the idea of Animal Kingdom running red with blood excites the imagination. Walt's curse upon all ye!

6 Hurt On Walt Disney World Kali River Rapids Ride

May 29, 2007: 02:45 PM EST

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP)--Five Walt Disney World visitors and an employee were injured Tuesday after a water ride that simulates a trip down a rain forest river malfunctioned, authorities said.

Walt Disney Co. (DIS) spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the injuries were not life threatening, but she couldn't be more specific.

Polak said it was not immediately clear what happened on the Kali River Rapids ride, but somehow it malfunctioned about the point that guests transfer from floats to a walkway. The ride simulates a river rapids trip through a rain forest in the Animal Kingdom part of Disney World.

"Nothing like this has ever happened," she said.

Disney closed the ride to investigate.

Do construction workers who cause accidents at disney have to serve 100 years under Davey Jones...or do they just simply *ahem* "disapear?"

6 injured on Animal Kingdom ride at Disney released from hospitals

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 29, 2007, 7:07 PM EDT

Five Walt Disney World guests and an employee were transported to area hospitals today after the Kali River Rapids ride at Animal Kingdom was evacuated. They were later released.

One of the rides' sensors caused the flumes to stop as they were traveling up a steep incline, prompting an evacuation about 10:20 a.m., said Bo Jones, deputy fire chief of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

A platform designed to help transfer guests from the ride to the exit stairs malfunctioned during the evacuation.

The injured people included three teenagers, one 21-year-old and two people in their 40s.

Kali River Rapids was closed until about 4:15 p.m. after the ride was inspected.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the company conducted safety checks of the ride and did not find any problems. It did determine, however, that the platform used to evacuate people from the ride vehicles "disengaged and slid."

She said the company will use an alternative method to evacuate people from the ride if necessary.

Thats weird. I remember on that ride what a big deal it was on how we got on and off, and that they waited for the tubes to engage the platform before we could stand.

Piecing together the various reports, I don't think this happened on the exit platform (the big rotating disc), but rather on an "evacuation platform" designed to get guests off the ride (which had shut down) at another point and to the exit. That platform "disengaged", and it appears that the people including the CM helping them fell.

Piecing together the various reports, I don't think this happened on the exit platform (the big rotating disc), but rather on an "evacuation platform" designed to get guests off the ride (which had shut down) at another point and to the exit. That platform "disengaged", and it appears that the people including the CM helping them fell.

I think you may be right and I muisunderstood:

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the company conducted safety checks of the ride and did not find any problems. It did determine, however, that the platform used to evacuate people from the ride vehicles "disengaged and slid."

She said the company will use an alternative method to evacuate people from the ride if necessary.

embarassing for all.

6 injured evacuating Disney ride

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 30, 2007

Bay Lake -- Walt Disney World reopened the Kali River Rapids ride at Animal Kingdom about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday after six people were injured while they were being evacuated from the ride earlier in the day.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the company conducted safety checks of the ride and did not find any problems.

It did determine, however, that the platform used to evacuate people from the ride vehicles "disengaged and slid."

She said, if necessary, the company will use an alternative method to evacuate people from the attraction, which features a raft ride through the turbulent waters of a jungle river.

Five Disney visitors and an employee were taken to hospitals after the incident. Prunty said all were released.

The attraction needed to be evacuated when one of the ride's sensors caused the rafts to stop as they were traveling up a steep incline, prompting an evacuation about 10:20 a.m., said Bo Jones, deputy fire chief of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the government district that oversees Walt Disney World.

Apparently the "escape" platform was not able to support the weight of the amount of bodies {no pun intended} that were on it. Wonder if it was ever tested for the amount of weight it might be subject to. I really don't want to think this was due to the supposed cutbacks that were in place during a certain "Michaels" turn at the helm.........just wondering:confused3

I thought I heard a blurb about people getting hurt while exiting the raft??

Did I just dream it?

MG

EDIT: Never mind. I just found the thread.

Since you found the thread that discusses this issue, I'm moving your comment over there.

Apparently the "escape" platform was not not able to support the weight of the amount of bodies {no pun intended} that were on it. Wonder if it was ever tested for the amount of weight it might be subject to. I really don't want to think this was due to the supposed cutbacks that were in place during a certain "Michaels" turn at the helm.........just wondering:confused3

maybe its that American's eat too many mickey ice creams and $6 churros.

<- american and overweight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter