50s Prime Time Cafe has an unbeatable atmosphere...food was AWFUL.

We've never had bad food there. We have had mediocre service, though. We eat there every trip (I love their pot roast), and we've never had a fun server. Tables around us have, but never us. Last time we had an amazing server, but he belonged elsewhere - he was amazing, friendly, quick, super nice - just not sassy like I want at 50's.

We've never had bad food there. We have had mediocre service, though. We eat there every trip (I love their pot roast), and we've never had a fun server. Tables around us have, but never us. Last time we had an amazing server, but he belonged elsewhere - he was amazing, friendly, quick, super nice - just not sassy like I want at 50's.

Amen I want that rude sassy ness but people actually complain about that!

The first three times I went to Disney, my family and I ate here and so I had major nostalgia when I booked my own trip in 2013 and made it a point to visit here for dinner. I was sorely disappointed when the food was bland and unappetizing. That could be because the menu wasn't that exciting to me in the first place. I just made it a point to go because it was something my family and I had done previously. Since being back in 2016 and 2018, I have skipped it.

We've eaten there at least twice (three times maybe?) and the food has varied between great and good. Sometimes hotter, fresher than others. However, we did have one server who wasn't really good. I mean, service wise he was. But rather than sassy, he was just...rude. Not funny rude, just rude. It was disappointing.

Another person who is sorry you had a bad experience there. You might have caught the cooks on a bad day. We are there twice this past June and everyone loved it. It was so liked that the girls have penciled in 1 dinner and 2 lunches on our next trip. In particular the girls raved about the onion rings and the chocolate peanut butter cake.

Love your post thanks for the back up! The restaurant is an amazing themed restaurant it’s very good but five people were dissaponted in the food! Very good theme once again, just wish it was a better experience...

(Again thanks for the back up only thing gotta correct I’m a He lol)
oops! haha, my bad. I'll correct it. :teeth: And youre very welcome! I love it when ppl suggest that you caught the place on a bad day. Ummm, perhaps not? Maybe the poster just didnt think the food was all that?? Like i said in another post, ppl raved about Le Cellier, like it was life changing. And i didnt like it. Ditto for another popular restaurant. I went more than a few times, still didnt like the food. And no it wasnt an off day.

Anyway. To each their own.

Last edited:
Food is purely subjective .I remember when everyone was raving about Le Cellier years back , and I couldn't understand what the hype was , to me the food was ok, but not life changing like reviews made it out to be .I am still looking forward to trying 50's this Sept
You and me both! When i tried Le Cellier, i was like, wth?? This is what people are raving out? My steak was actually disappointing. Lets put it this way, i enjoyed the steak at Teppan Edo the next day much much more. Lol.

You and me both! When i tried Le Cellier, i was like, wth?? This is what people are raving out? My steak was actually disappointing. Lets put it this way, i enjoyed the steak at Teppan Edo the next day much much more. Lol.

Just want to expand on what your saying here, and I too had a similar experience with Le Cellier...I'm assuming that perhaps we read all these impressions and set a standard for ourselves that can't ever truly live up to the hype...it was still pretty decent though, but not outstanding. This 50's food was garbage IMO.

I have to ask, did you tell your server that the food was cold and give them the opportunity to fix it?

I have gotten cold/bad food before, but as long as I say something, I have always find Disney will fix it and in general the food is really good.

As for the server, if you start off messing with them, they seem to get the hint and will sass right back and be in character, if you are straight laced they usually won't unless you are the only one at your table that is, the. They may tease you mercessily.

Just want to expand on what your saying here, and I too had a similar experience with Le Cellier...I'm assuming that perhaps we read all these impressions and set a standard for ourselves that can't ever truly live up to the hype...it was still pretty decent though, but not outstanding. This 50's food was garbage IMO.
Hey, yes I hear you about "the hype". It happens. But bad food is bad food. My steak at LC truly was not good at all. I was incredibly disappointed.

We had a server who was not into it. We saw her even sitting with another table, so it was just us that didn't merit the fun treatment. The other problem was that she gave so much attention to the other table, that we didn't even have good service. Pretty much Waffle House or IHOP level service. DH and I got the 50s decor, but the kids didn't really appreciate that.

We found the food okay, but nothing spectacular. I would rather have KFC or Publix fried chicken. The milkshake was even not that great. It only tasted of only of peanut butter (no jelly) and it was a little icy.

We will would chose Sci Fi of the two. While the food is also just okay at Sci Fi, we find the atmosphere so unique and not dependent on the server interaction, which is hit or miss.

I'm sorry you had a bad meal. I've had many a dinner there, and never had bad food. Love the sampler platter!

Sounds like they were having a bad day if everything you got was bad. But that is ok, you are more than welcome to my place at the Sci-Fi. I couldn't believe how bad the burger I had there was.

I will take a car at Sci Fi over a table at 50's any day.
Far less variable service and servers at Sci Fi and the movies are always fun.

Just ate there today and had a great experience. We are foodies and find most Disney food to be overpriced and underwhelming-this was a well made meal of comfort foods. My pot roast was great-tender and flavorful and hot-and DH loves his wedge salad. Kids were happy with their chicken-DH and DD said the fried chicken was very good, though I’m not much of a fan in general so can’t weigh in there. Waiter was lots of fun and it was all in all a big hit with the family, who had never been there before.

oops! haha, my bad. I'll correct it. :teeth: And youre very welcome! I love it when ppl suggest that you caught the place on a bad day. Ummm, perhaps not? Maybe the poster just didnt think the food was all that?? Like i said in another post, ppl raved about Le Cellier, like it was life changing. And i didnt like it. Ditto for another popular restaurant. I went more than a few times, still didnt like the food. And no it wasnt an off day.

Anyway. To each their own.

I agree 100% and well said. There are some people on these boards who get in a tiff and all offended if you don't like their restaurants (perhaps not on this particular thread). It's an opinion. My opinion is just that, an opinion. I myself am not that crazy about 50's PT. Love the atmosphere, not so much the stuff on the plate. LOL.

And as I'm sure you have known from my posts over the years, I am not a fan of Le Cellier and share your opinion 100%... We may have some different opinions about some places (Via Napoli comes to mind), but there are times the planets align and they have on this post. Again, excellent post. :goodvibes

Just got done eating not too long ago at 50s prime time cafe and I gotta say as a big 50s and retro fan that the atmosphere is amazing...the staff similarly is amazing.

We had such a great time with the waiters and the 50s fun atmosphere! It truly was a treat and a half!

However, all of the food and I mean all of it was so subpar. Everything was cold...

We had the meatloaf, onion rings, a kids chicken tender meal, and 2 orders of grandmas chicken, and two milkshakes.

The peanut butter and jelly milkshake was the highlight of this place...a sip takes you back to being a kid and asking for a PB&J with mom cutting the crust off!

The chicken was mushy and tasteless...the chicken at Publix and the Plaza Inn are IMO leagues better.

The meatloaf was dry and tasteless, the sauce was dry on the potatoes like it was laying out for hours...We told the waiter and they kind of seemed annoyed I felt bad almost complaining...

We got yelled at to eat our green beans and maybe I know why since they are the best thing on the plate!

I just wanted to tell everyone that I wanted to eat here so badly however I was so entirely dissaponted in the food here... Sci Fi dine in and Brown Derby are so much better if you guys are looking into things.
I am surprised. We went in December and all of our food was great as well as our server and the atmosphere. We went to sci-fi and none of us could finish our food, it just wasn’t very good, although the cars were fun. There is a lot of variability in the food at WDW, and you will always get differing opinions.

I agree 100% and well said. There are some people on these boards who get in a tiff and all offended if you don't like their restaurants (perhaps not on this particular thread). It's an opinion. My opinion is just that, an opinion. I myself am not that crazy about 50's PT. Love the atmosphere, not so much the stuff on the plate. LOL.

And as I'm sure you have known from my posts over the years, I am not a fan of Le Cellier and share your opinion 100%... We may have some different opinions about some places (Via Napoli comes to mind), but there are times the planets align and they have on this post. Again, excellent post. :goodvibes
Ha ha, :laughing: why thank you! Im glad our planets align from time to time. :teeth: It just irks me when someone gets chastised for posting an honest review and opinion of their experience at a restaurant. I was ganged up on when I posted about not only disliking Le Cellier, but also Ohana (dinner) and Fantasmic as well. Jeez, the people were angry! It was nuts.

Ha ha, :laughing: why thank you! Im glad our planets align from time to time. :teeth: It just irks me when someone gets chastised for posting an honest review and opinion of their experience at a restaurant. I was ganged up on when I posted about not only disliking Le Cellier, but also Ohana (dinner) and Fantasmic as well. Jeez, the people were angry! It was nuts.

Well here is where the planets once again line up for us. I do not like Le Cellier, I'm not a fan of Ohana, and Fantasmic was a one and done for me. :laughing:

I don’t understand why people get tribal over a restaurant...it’s a highly subjective opinion. I had five people including myself who thought it was subpar and I wanted to like it so much!

Well here is where the planets once again line up for us. I do not like Le Cellier, I'm not a fan of Ohana, and Fantasmic was a one and done for me. :laughing:
ha ha, maybe we're disboards-soulmates afterall? :laughing: I really wanted to like ohana and Fantasmic. Really i did. It did diddly-squat for me. :confused3 Esp Fantasmic. Like you said, one and done.

I don’t understand why people get tribal over a restaurant...it’s a highly subjective opinion. I had five people including myself who thought it was subpar and I wanted to like it so much!
Same here. I want to like it, believe me. Take Ohana for example. The wings sucked....they were slimy. The meat (beef) was like eating the rubber sole of a shoe etc. Just not a fan at all. I was really confused about the hype that place gets. But that's just my opinion. No need to scold me. Know what I mean? Thats why I get frustrated when i see posts that say "well my family goes there all the time and we never had a bad meal". That's wonderful, im happy for your family. But how is that statement helpful? And what are you trying to say? Are you insinuating that im making it up? or that im wrong? or both?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter