50s Prime Time Cafe has an unbeatable atmosphere...food was AWFUL.

I’m glad you enjoyed I guess my standard and your standard of amazing is different, and that’s ok!

Again the fried chicken had mushy skin...? Is that what would qualify as amazing to me? Dry meatloaf and the gravy looking like it was sitting out for awhile? Not amazing to me.

We've had both those dishes before. The fried chicken was crispy and the meatloaf was moist, gravy piping hot. Maybe you caught the kitchen on an off day?

Last edited:
I’m glad you enjoyed I guess my standard and your standard of amazing is different, and that’s ok!

Again the fried chicken had mushy skin...? Is that what would qualify as amazing to me? Dry meatloaf and the gravy looking like it was sitting out for awhile? Not amazing to me.

I’m just super happy I got to eat there and get the peanut butter and jelly milkshake that was amazing!

I’m staring to think the same thing that nothing is outstanding. The signature snacks are great but the food quality...ehhh I would expect the price to match the food quality.

Theme park. My expectations are low and my budget is high

IMO all the dining at disney is marginal at best. I just don't get the hype around it. my opinion is that the dining is for either the "experience" or the atmosphere.

I wonder if it isn't a different standard but that (maybe) you had an off day.

I have never had mushy skin on the fried chicken - always hot and crispy. I've never had dry meatloaf that looked like it had been sitting out for a while. Always moist and hot.

Again, sorry you had such a bad experience. Not every meal served is like the one you got.

IMO all the dining at disney is marginal at best. I just don't get the hype around it. my opinion is that the dining is for either the "experience" or the atmosphere.

Same except for Boma for me.

Not to say atmosphere and experience doesn’t count, it certainly does.

Is Tokyo Dining amazing sushi? Not really, but the service and the atmosphere put it above my local places

Thanks for the reviews. We've never been but are considering.

When are you going?

Personally it is way too heavy for me in the summer, might be fun to just go for apps and the deserts (which are good) with the great atmosphere and theme

I'm usually very critical when it comes to food, but both times I've been, the food was excellent! The fried chicken was perfect (Southern girl here who knows good fried chicken) and the pot roast was wonderful. Hopefully this was just a bad night?

When are you going?

Personally it is way too heavy for me in the summer, might be fun to just go for apps and the deserts (which are good) with the great atmosphere and theme
end of may...and you're right...the menu does look "heavy"

I know people who rave about 50s food, while others think it's way over-hyped and mediocre at best. I don't think any of this is an isolated incident. I think it's more personal preference. I've eaten there 3x and feel the atmosphere is great, but the food leaves a lot to be desired. My friend disagrees. I don't think there's an overall right or wrong here...just right or wrong for the individual. If I choose to dine at 50s, I go in knowing that my preferences will leave me disappointed in the food and that I'm going strictly for the non-food portion of the experience. FWIW- I've had the pot roast, meat loaf, and pot pie...as well as the onion rings and crab cake.

Totally agree here!

I’m just super happy I got to eat there and get the peanut butter and jelly milkshake that was amazing!

I’m staring to think the same thing that nothing is outstanding. The signature snacks are great but the food quality...ehhh I would expect the price to match the food quality.
The first time i ate at 50's i was disappointed. I had the fried chicken as well. Meh. Not the best fried chicken i've had. I remember it being VERY salty. I rarely complain about salt because i LOVE salt! But this was a little too much for me. The table beside us said the same thing. Another time I had the chicken pot pie. It was good. But i was disappointed that it was deconstructed. Its not the same. But still a decent enough dish. I do think this place gets a lot of hype.

We've had both those dishes before. The fried chicken was crispy and the meatloaf was moist, gravy piping hot. Maybe you caught the kitchen on an off day?
Or maybe not? Food is subjective. Maybe the OP (and others) didn't like the food because they just didn't like the way it was prepared? I can go to a burger joint with my fam and have the best burger ever, fresh as fresh could be...i could rave about it endlessly....but then Sally beside me could easily say it tasted off and was the most disgusting burger in the world. Who's right here? Am i correct because my whole family and I loved it, therefore Sally, who is sitting alone, must be wrong because majority rules? Food is subjective.

Just because someone didn't like the food, it doesn't mean the restaurant had an off day. There are people who don't find the food at 50's to be all that great. Shocking right? I have to laugh when i see posts such as "the food has been amazing every time we've eaten here. No complaints from us. And we've eaten there a dozen times". How is this statement helpful to the OP who specifically said he didn't like the food? I don't understand. Are people trying to shame the OP because she doesn't think its amazing or because she doesnt agree with the majority? Everyone is different. I have a friend who puts ketchup on pasta instead of tomato sauce. I try not to judge. :lmao:But I do agree with OP, or whoever said that 50's gets a little too much hype.

Last edited:
When we went last September, my husband was very happy with his pot roast. However, I ordered the sampler platter and was horribly disappointed. I felt like the OP, the food was luke warm and had obviously been sitting. After we ordered, the food came out very fast. My husbands seemed fresh, but mine food had definitely been sitting under a heat lamp waiting for somebody to order it.

I don't think it was an off day. There are plenty of people who report the same thing. If you're lucky enough to get a freshly plated item, it's fine. But if you've gotten an older item that had been sitting, it doesn't taste good at all. The restaurant tries to turn over tables quickly and keeps item sitting in the back.

Food is very subjective. I was very disappointed in the fried chicken at Plaza Inn at DL when we went last May. I thought it was extremely average after what it was built up to be by many posters here.

I am sorry about your food, we have always had good luck here with food quality and service.

Hopefully you will have better dining experiences going forward :)

Food is purely subjective .I remember when everyone was raving about Le Cellier years back , and I couldn't understand what the hype was , to me the food was ok, but not life changing like reviews made it out to be .I am still looking forward to trying 50's this Sept

We had a similar experience the last time we ate there, although it was a few years ago. My fried chicken was mushy and lukewarm. I didn’t eat very much of it and we have not returned. We have considered trying it again because we love the atmosphere, but it keeps missing the cut on our ADR list just because the food was really disappointing on our last visit there.

Also, off topic ... but when the server was scolding me about not eating my green beans (we had an awesome server this time who really embraced the role), the woman at the table next to us used her fork and TOOK SOME OFF MY PLATE AND ATE THEM. A stranger actually ate off my plate. That was ... a surprise.

Last edited:
Totally agree here!

The first time i ate at 50's i was disappointed. I had the fried chicken as well. Meh. Not the best fried chicken i've had. I remember it being VERY salty. I rarely complain about salt because i LOVE salt! But this was a little too much for me. The table beside us said the same thing. Another time I had the chicken pot pie. It was good. But i was disappointed that it was deconstructed. Its not the same. But still a decent enough dish. I do think this place gets a lot of hype.

Or maybe not? Food is subjective. Maybe the OP (and others) didn't like the food because they just didn't like the way it was prepared? I can go to a burger joint with my fam and have the best burger ever, fresh as fresh could be...i could rave about it endlessly....but then Sally beside me could easily say it tasted off and was the most disgusting burger in the world. Who's right here? Am i correct because my whole family and I loved it, therefore Sally, who is sitting alone, must be wrong because majority rules? Food is subjective.

Just because someone didn't like the food, it doesn't mean the restaurant had an off day. There are people who don't find the food at 50's to be all that great. Shocking right? I have to laugh when i see posts such as "the food has been amazing every time we've eaten here. No complaints from us. And we've eaten there a dozen times". How is this statement helpful to the OP who specifically said she didn't like the food? I don't understand. Are people trying to shame the OP because she doesn't think its amazing or because she doesnt agree with the majority? Everyone is different. I have a friend who puts ketchup on pasta instead of tomato sauce. I try not to judge. :lmao:But I do agree with OP, or whoever said that 50's gets a little too much hype.
Love your post thanks for the back up! The restaurant is an amazing themed restaurant it’s very good but five people were dissaponted in the food! Very good theme once again, just wish it was a better experience...

(Again thanks for the back up only thing gotta correct I’m a He lol)

I had the sampler platter here a few years ago and have not been back since, my experience was the same as that of the OP and neither DH nor I thought the food was good at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter