50% Borrowing Policy?

IandGsmom

Just another crazy Disney lady
Any idea when this will end? Really want to book but I need more than 50% of my future points. TIA for any feedback.

For the last 12 months, many members have been unwilling or unable to travel. Many international owners still cannot use their points. Resorts have been operating at partial capacity and some remained closed for months on end. DVC relaxed cancellation and banking policies.

The net result of all this is there are far more points available to owners now than there are rooms available in a year's time. Allowing unlimited borrowing would further complicate matters.

I don't think we'll see that temporary restriction lifted until at least 2022 or 2023.

For the last 12 months, many members have been unwilling or unable to travel. Many international owners still cannot use their points. Resorts have been operating at partial capacity and some remained closed for months on end. DVC relaxed cancellation and banking policies.

The net result of all this is there are far more points available to owners now than there are rooms available in a year's time. Allowing unlimited borrowing would further complicate matters.

I don't think we'll see that temporary restriction lifted until at least 2022 or 2023.
I would think allowing 100% borrowing for reservations booked within say the next 30 days would actually help to prevent this issue, especially if there was a condition that those borrowed points would not get returned to the original use year and/or had additional restrictions.

I would think allowing 100% borrowing for reservations booked within say the next 30 days would actually help to prevent this issue, especially if there was a condition that those borrowed points would not get returned to the original use year and/or had additional restrictions.
My thought exactly...if the room is available 30-60 days out, why not let us borrow to use. It means our points won't be available next year and leaves room for others that year.

My thought exactly...if the room is available 30-60 days out, why not let us borrow to use. It means our points won't be available next year and leaves room for others that year.
Because - they’d have to add code to the booking process that would keep you from modifying the reservation out past the 30-60 days - and that ain’t gunna happen...

Anyone have any luck calling and trying to borrow over 50%? This is frustrating not being able to book using more than 50%.

Is it possible to make two separate reservations that are under 50% each?

I have 320 points I would love to use in September...we already have 2-2bdrs rooms for almost everyone, but need a 1bdr or studio for my parents, can't do it with the 50% usage restriction. I wish they would open it up, my dad my have to pay cash, which is so high.

Anyone have any luck calling and trying to borrow over 50%? This is frustrating not being able to book using more than 50%.

There are no exceptions to the 50% borrowing rule. They won't even waive it for members who would like to book inside of 30 days.

Making 2 separate reservations will still fall under the 50% rule: no more than 50% of the total number of points in a contract can be borrowed from a future UY. That means you cannot borrow 30% of next year's points for Reservation A and then borrow another 30% to make Reservation B. It also means that if you have 2 contracts at different resorts you cannot borrow more than 50% of Contract A just because you have more points in Contract B. It's a maximum 50% of A's points and 50% of B's points.

It is not 50% of a trip but 50% of the total points in a contract. Doesn’t matter how many you use in one reservation.

For example, I have 300 SSR points and 175 RIV points in my Aug 2021 UY. I am limited to borrowing 150 SSR and 88 RIV to book for any trips from Aug 1st to July 31st, 2022.

It is not 50% of a trip but 50% of the total points in a contract. Doesn’t matter how many you use in one reservation.

For example, I have 300 SSR points and 175 RIV points in my Aug 2021 UY. I am limited to borrowing 150 SSR and 88 RIV to book for any trips from Aug 1st to July 31st, 2022.
That’s what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. I was able to set up a points transfer with another board member to get enough points to avoid the restrictions.

For the room for the kids in April. I had to release a BLT room in Dec, since I maxed out the SSR points I could have use. That hurt. No way am I finding a standard view studio in Dec again.

For the room for the kids in April. I had to release a BLT room in Dec, since I maxed out the SSR points I could have use. That hurt. No way am I finding a standard view studio in Dec again.

Ugg. That does hurt.

That’s what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. I was able to set up a points transfer with another board member to get enough points to avoid the restrictions.
That's essentially what we did, but they booked for us and we transferred points to them. But they are family, so it all worked fine for us.

I borrowed 18 points over my 50% and it hasn't been cancelled. 🤞and part of this reservation came through on a waitlist. I did make 2 very long phone calls to ms before the reservation was booked. On the 1st phone call I was planning on purchasing extra points but the reservation went through on borrowed points. The cm put me on hold and somehow got it approved(he was surprized) I did purchase extra points and have them just in case it gets cancelled but so far so good. My trip is about 3 weeks away.

That does hurt. We were able to score a standard BLT reservation for an entire week this year and I know that I'll probably never get the chance that easily again.

I borrowed 18 points over my 50% and it hasn't been cancelled. 🤞and part of this reservation came through on a waitlist. I did make 2 very long phone calls to ms before the reservation was booked. On the 1st phone call I was planning on purchasing extra points but the reservation went through on borrowed points. The cm put me on hold and somehow got it approved(he was surprized) I did purchase extra points and have them just in case it gets cancelled but so far so good. My trip is about 3 weeks away.
So what happens to the extra points if everything goes as planned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter